• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

soco

Can we get the numbers for:

Little Big Planet
Banjo: Nuts & Bolts
Lips

please?

oops. didn't see R2 in OP.

Haunted

I have a sour taste in my mouth from all the bitterness in here. And that's just from reading this thread.

In related news, Speevy is trying really hard.

Damn, 2 millions. Going to bed now, see you guys tomorrow. At least most of you.

SkySonata

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
Problem is the best artists, best programmers, best game makers simply dont want to work on the wii.

If Epic or insomniac decided that they were going Wii exclusive I imagine most of the staff would walk out, all companies want to do is palm the wii off to junior staff.

Square-Enix asks what the fuck are you pulling out of your ass?

Sony are going to have to come up with a bloody good pitch as to why insomniac should remain PS exclusive because if I owned that company i'd be worried if we'd bet on the wrong horse. Sony are going to have a hard time trying to get gamers to leave their Xbox live accounts and switch back to them for next gen imo.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Speevy said:
What others? What are these AAA games Nintendo has in the oven? Name them.

beavis and butthead do america the video game

why the hell are you in a sales thread if you don't want to talk about sales

SkySonata said:
Square-Enix asks what the fuck are you pulling out of your ass?

square enix doesn't develop dq

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Even though I think the PS3 sales are disappointing, some of you are being drama queens, 378k is still 378k, not a completely abysmal number at all, lower than the other two, yes, but in the end that's still 378k of the most expensive console sold. I'm willing to bet that the 360 Pro and Elites also did around 378k.

Pricing the Arcade at $199 is the most consumer friendly thing MS has done so far this gen.

Koren

chespace said:
:lol @ all those who think that LBP was not marketed enough.

The game was everywhere. NPD shows that 'core gamers just don't care.
I'd say that most people playing video games don't care (I don't want to use casual because I don't like hidden meanings behind the word, but you see what I mean). It's not meaningful for dedicated gamers, there's a so small part of NPD data that you can't know.

chespace said:
Yes, Wii selling 2 million units with no worthy holiday titles is bittersweet. I still believe that Nintendo's success ultimately benefits our industry no matter what. More people playing games is always a good thing.

The only negative here are the Nintendo fanboys that got left behind from the company's roadmap to success.
I don't really feel being left behind, because I'm having a blast on Wii so far (and I can't really follow releases... I have a huge Wii backlog), but Nintendo's offering is, for me, less stellar than it has been. There's many Nintendo Wii games I liked (loved in some cases), but I found many third parties using Wii better than Nintendo. And it's a slow period, currently, 1st party wise.

The only good thing is that I hope it may be a reason for third party to try harder.

mr_bishiuk said:
Sony are going to have to come up with a bloody good pitch as to why insomniac should remain PS exclusive because if I owned that company i'd be worried if we'd bet on the wrong horse. Sony are going to have a hard time trying to get gamers to leave their Xbox live accounts and switch back to them for next gen imo.

Seriously, if MS leverages their community right in the transition for next gen, Sony would have a serious problem, like kind of maybe forever. Especially if they get another year head start.

Speevy

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
beavis and butthead do america the video game

why the hell are you in a sales thread if you don't want to talk about sales

I'm responding to farnham. I'll happily talk about sales. Wii sales are incredible.

mysticstylez said:
When a new IP like Left 4 Dead outsells the sequel to a high profile, over 1mil selling launch game, that is not a good thing.

A new very good IP from valve on a larger user base (I feel like I'm arguing with myself now but oh well) outsells... wait a second. Who the hell should we care if this outsold that or whatever... L4Ds a good game, it sells well... yay! R2 sells more than any Insom 1st month game to date... yay!

Take your divisive shite elsewhere.

Dragon

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
i also clicked on this thread trying to find the "argue about system libraries and talk about what games you're playing" thread. we should form a club!

I was directly responding to someone else's post.

Grecco

Speevy said:
Mario Galaxy was great, but it's one game from a company that is known for releasing classics every year.

And i got Zelda in 06, Mario and Metroid in 07 and Smash in 08. Ill give em a pass for this fall if it means good stuff in 09 (and with stuff like Punch Out and SP2 it looks like 09 will deliver)

womfalcs3

Banned
All Sony has to do is cut price. The software is there. It's just the price hindrance. Most people can't spent $400 right now on a PS3.

The good thing that has come from PS3 for Sony is the fact they have generated a revenue stream from blu-ray.

donny2112

mr_bishiuk said:
But Jack Tretton said there was no point lowering the cost to $99 as those people dont buy games.

I'm guessing that his way of saying "Buy the system now! Don't wait!" I can't see them not dropping to $99 in the U.S. next year.

sony's PR writing guy earned his money this month. fuck i wouldn't want his job right now. as laughable as that press release is, i don't see how it could be written any better. so props to him.

now... wow all around.

mostly i'm happy about left 4 dead. i'm sure the pc version sold more, so i'm going to pretend it's nearly at a million already. yay left 4 dead!

i'll be buying little big planet tomorrow, so i'm sure sony will be happy about that.

with the Home teething troubles and this, not a very good day for Sony, espescially after they just laid off all those workes.

i'd love to try out Home, but i'm close to giving up after four hours of failing to get into it.

poor sony fans... they can't even retreat into sony world to hide from this.

i'm only partially joking.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
GSG Flash said:
Even though I think the PS3 sales are disappointing, some of you are being drama queens, 378k is still 378k, not a completely abysmal number at all, lower than the other two, yes, but in the end that's still 378k of the most expensive console sold. I'm willing to bet that the 360 Pro and Elites also did around 378k.

being neck and neck with the gamecube sales, declining yoy in the year 2 to year 3 transition, and being a distant third is, yes, by definition completely abysmal.

Fredescu

Captain Smoker said:
And my question is still:

And Nintendo isn't?

You've just repeated your claim.
As far as games that are out right now? No.

Captain Smoker said:
I'm still talking about the future lineup (published games from N/M/S) if you didn't noticed, I know that there's a software drought currently, that's not my topic and wasn't at any point.
I'm just saying the software drought is why people are more critical of the software development going on at Nintendo, since that's the question you asked. Future software does not actually exist yet. Remember when PS3 fans were including stuff like Lair in their "awesome lineup" lists before it came out? We can look at what teams are doing what for the future, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating. If 09 for the Wii ends up being great, and I hope it does, then people will be less critical.

Gaborn

Stumpokapow said:
being neck and neck with the gamecube sales, declining yoy in the year 2 to year 3 transition, and being a distant third is, yes, by definition completely abysmal.

Especially considering what the PS2 did at the same point in IT'S life cycle.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
BenjaminBirdie said:
Seriously, if MS leverages their community right in the transition for next gen, Sony would have a serious problem, like kind of maybe forever. Especially if they get another year head start.

Hey... wasn't Sony supposed to leverage the fanatical PS2 fanbase? :lol

Tiktaalik

farnham said:
so in otherwords everyone should just suit your taste

i mean most of the 360 games i play are exactly the same things i played last gen with better graphics..

that seems pretty safe and uninspired to me

Sounds like you should branch out and play stuff other than CoD. The HD consoles is where the real strides forward are occuring this generation.

Speevy is right. The Wii stuff is either garbage or safe rehashes.

plagiarize said:
sony's PR writing guy earned his money this month. fuck i wouldn't want his job right now. as laughable as that press release is, i don't see how it could be written any better. so props to him.

now... wow all around.

mostly i'm happy about left 4 dead. i'm sure the pc version sold more, so i'm going to pretend it's nearly at a million already. yay left 4 dead!

i'll be buying little big planet tomorrow, so i'm sure sony will be happy about that.

with the Home teething troubles and this, not a very good day for Sony, espescially after they just laid off all those workes.

i'd love to try out Home, but i'm close to giving up after four hours of failing to get into it.

poor sony fans... they can't even retreat into sony world to hide from this.

i'm only partially joking.

Man, I honestly thought that's why the thread was relatively quiet.

frankthurk said:
A new very good IP from valve on a larger user base (I feel like I'm arguing with myself now but oh well) outsells... wait a second. Who the hell should we care if this outsold that or whatever... L4Ds a good game, it sells well... yay! R2 sells more than any Insom 1st month game to date... yay!

Take your divisive shite elsewhere.

I'm only pointing out that Resistance 2's sales are disappointing. I never compared the 2 games as far as quality goes.

Speevy

Banned
Grecco said:
And i got Zelda in 06, Mario and Metroid in 07 and Smash in 08. Ill give em a pass for this fall if it means good stuff in 09 (and with stuff like Punch Out and SP2 it looks like 09 will deliver)

Don't act like I'm the first person to say Nintendo quit trying.

I was right there telling everyone why Pikmin 2 was the best game of Fall 2004, while everyone else was playing Halo 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3.

And I did support Nintendo by buying a Wii, and put up with that system's lack of games for a whole year.

farnham

Banned
Speevy said:
Mario Galaxy was great, but it's one game from a company that is known for releasing classics every year.
there are other great games nintendo put out on the wii (mario kart wii for example.. or metroid prime3)

you can go over to their official site and check out the release list

Tiktaalik said:
Sounds like you should branch out and play stuff other than CoD. The HD consoles is where the real strides forward are occuring this generation.

Speevy is right. The Wii stuff is either garbage or safe rehashes.

I am.. and i dont really feel the HD magic that everyone is talking about to be honest..

There are a lot of high production value games but there just is nothing dramatically new .. at least from what i experienced on my 360 until now.. doesnt mean i dont like fable 2 or gears 2..
Speevy said:
Don't act like I'm the first person to say Nintendo quit trying.

I was right there telling everyone why Pikmin 2 was the best game of Fall 2004, while everyone else was playing Halo 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3.

And I did support Nintendo by buying a Wii, and put up with that system's lack of games for a whole year.

i dont see how saying pikmin2 was a good game is proving anything since its no news at all..

Anyway lets compare GC and Wii

Nintendo GameCube

o Luigi's Mansion
o Pikmin
o Super Smash Bros. Melee
o Wave Race: Blue Storm
o Doubutsu no Mori + (Japan Only)

5 releases

o Animal Crossing
o Disney's Magical Mirror Starring Mickey Mouse
o Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
o Mario Party 4
o Metroid Prime
o NBA Courtside 2002
o Star Fox Adventures
o Super Mario Sunshine
o Cubivore: Survival of the Fittest (Japan/North America only ; published by Nintendo in Japan Only)
o Doshin the Giant (Japan/Europe Only)

10 releases

o 1080° Avalanche
o F-Zero GX
o Kirby Air Ride
o The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition
o The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest
o The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
o Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
o Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
o Mario Party 5
o Pokémon Channel
o Wario World
o Doubutsu no Mori e-Plus (Japan Only)
o GiFTPiA (Japan Only)
o Nintendo Puzzle Collection (Japan Only)

14 releases

o Custom Robo (Japan/North America Only)
o Donkey Konga
o The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
o Mario Party 6
o Mario Power Tennis
o Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
o Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
o Pikmin 2
o Pokémon Box: Ruby and Sapphire
o Pokémon Colosseum
o WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Party Game$
o Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (Published by Nintendo in North America Only)
o Kururin Squash! (Japan Only)

13 releases

o Battalion Wars
o Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix
o Donkey Konga 2
o Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
o Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
o Geist
o Mario Party 7
o Mario Superstar Baseball
o Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness
o Star Fox: Assault
o Super Mario Strikers
o Densetsu no Quiz Ou Ketteisen (Japan only)
o Donkey Konga 3 (Japan Only)

13 releases

o Baten Kaitos Origins (Japan/North America only)
o Chibi-Robo!
o The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
o Odama

4 releases

Wii

o Wii Sports
o Excite Truck
o The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
o Wii Play (Released 2007 in North America)

4 releases

o WarioWare: Smooth Moves
o Eyeshield 21: Field Saikyō no Senshi (Japan only)
o Super Paper Mario
o Mario Party 8
o Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
o Pokémon Battle Revolution
o Mario Strikers Charged
o Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
o Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
o Battalion Wars 2
o Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
o Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Published by Nintendo in Japan only)
o Super Mario Galaxy
o Link's Crossbow Training

14 releases

o Wii Chess (Europe only)
o Endless Ocean
o Super Smash Bros. Brawl
o Mario Kart Wii
o Wii Fit
o Mario Super Sluggers
o Wario Land: Shake It!
o Fatal Frame IV (Japan only)
o Captain Rainbow (Japan only)
o Wii Music
o Disaster: Day of Crisis (Japan/PAL Region only)
o Animal Crossing: City Folk

* Play on Wii Selection in 2008
o Play on the Wii: Pikmin
o Play on the Wii: Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat

12 releases + 2 releases (Play on Wii)

* Announced for 2009
o Wii Sports Resort
o Punch-Out!! Wii
o Start w/ 100 Conversations! English Conversation
o Another Code: R, Gateway of Memory
o Kensax
o Cosmic Walker
o Spawn Smasher
o Dynamic Slash
o Tact of Magic
o Sin & Punishment 2
o Forever Blue 2: Beautiful Ocean
o Everyone's the Star on the NHK Red-and-White Quiz Battle
o Line Attack Heroes

* Play on Wii Selection in 2009
o Play on the Wii: Chibi-Robo!
o Play on the Wii: Mario Power Tennis
o Play on the Wii: Metroid Prime
o Play on the Wii: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
o Play on the Wii: Pikmin 2

13 releases + 5 releases

so yeah.. Nintendos output on the wii is about the same as on the GC

Rlan

Looks like Animal Crossing Bombed. It had a good full two weeks of sales.

Then again, it was only 4 more than Wii Music got in its first month.

In Australia all I've seen in terms of game advertising in the lucrative 7-10 time gap on TV is Animal Crossing Wii AND Animal Crossing DS :\

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Opus Angelorum said:
Why do people keep asking for Resistance 2 numbers, it's 385K.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, Resistence 2 was our only hope.

So resistance 2 sold almost 400k in one month not counting the EU. They're easily going to be at 1.5 million by the time December ends and people in here are clambering on about how Insomniac should leave Sony. Someone else is saying Sony should ditch Insomniac.

:lol

Jesus Christ you guys are hilarious.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I hope it is good enough in profit land for Sony to be in the position it is in.

I would say lower the damn price, but it is too little, too late.

Top Bottom