• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

Hiltz

As usual, I expected Wii would once again come out on top this month.. like practically every month since its launch... but 2 million ? Man, one can only imagine how many Wii units Nintendo could really sell if they could solve their supply problem.

Accident

Microsoft response to NPD:

Xbox 360 Registers Its Biggest November Ever

November NPD results are in and Xbox 360 highlights include:

· Most successful November for Xbox 360 in U.S. with record games, console sales and online momentum (this follows the recent announcement of a record November in Europe)

· Continuing to widen its installed base lead over the PS3

· Outsold PS3 and PS2 combined

· Record-setting software attach rate leads the industry, now at 8.1

The Xbox 360 continues to sell at record levels this holiday season, registering the biggest Black Friday and most successful November in its history. Xbox 360 sold a record number of consoles for the month of November at 836,000 units. (November NPD data)

With $298 million in third-party game sales in November, the Xbox 360 has generated more revenue at retail for third-party publishers than the PS3 and Wii combined this generation. (November NPD data)

In addition to a 3:1 console sales lead over the PS3 during the Black Friday weekend, Xbox 360 finished the month of November with more than a 2:1 sales advantage over PS3. (November NPD data and Microsoft internal data) This momentum is happening around the world as well; Xbox 360 was the fastest-growing console in Europe for the month of November, with sales up 124 percent year-over-year, versus 43 percent for Wii and three percent for PS3. (Microsoft Internal data)

The gaming business is more than just console sales – strong software sales and a growing online community is critical to long-term success of a platform. Xbox 360 outperformed the PS3 on total software sales for November at $408 million, thanks to the best and broadest games line up. (November NPD data) Additionally, Xbox LIVE continues to outpace both competitors with more than 14 million active members online worldwide, with the average number of unique visitors rising 66% in the past year. (Microsoft internal data) As an example of its industry-leading growth, every day, more than 1.5 million transactions and nearly 4 million game sessions take place on Xbox LIVE. In total, 45 network and studio partners, as well as Netflix, offer more than 30,000 pieces of entertainment content over Xbox LIVE.

“We’ve created the optimal line-up of experiences this holiday season for families seeking lasting entertainment value, particularly during rough economic times in the U.S. and abroad,” said Don Mattrick, senior vice president of the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft. “We have the largest library of games, TV and movie content and the most expansive and rewarding social experiences. We’re confident Xbox 360 will continue to drive record sales around the world this holiday and beyond.”

The Best New Content for the Broadest Audiences

Xbox 360 titles continue to dominate the industry’s top software spots, with three of the top ten games in November living on Xbox 360 (November NPD data).

· Xbox 360-exclusive “Gears of War 2” was this month’s #1 selling game with 1.6 million units sold. (November NPD data)

· “Call of Duty: World at War” for the Xbox 360 held the #2 spot, while “Left 4 Dead” rounded out the top 10 list at #8 (November NPD data)

· Xbox 360-exclusive “Fable 2” was honored to receive the Game of the Year Award during G4TV X-Play’s Best of 2008 Awards this week. In November, “Fable 2” sold 184,000 units, bringing its life to date sales to 974,000 units in the US. (November NPD and Microsoft internal data)

SSM25

wow!!...the wii!!! amazing!!!!

also, is it really game over for sony?, the ps3 can't be the worst selling console in history or performing that bad, or is it only fanboy war shit?

brain_stew said:
Seriously don't try and rationalise with these guys, anyone that tries to spin the Wii's success at this point is nothing more than an idiot. The facts and figures have been in their face for so long that it is clear that no sort of logic will work with them, so don't even bother.

I see what you mean. Then again the Wii outselling the PS3/360 isn't all that big of a mystery. The PS3 and 360 share a shit load of games while most of the Wii's quality games are exclusive to it and not to mention many offer a different experience then the PS3/360. So yeah the 360 has a FAR better library of games but the Wii probably has a better line-up (exclusives) as well as interesting experience due to motion controls and the balance board.

Stumpokapow said:
beavis and butthead do america the video game

why the hell are you in a sales thread if you don't want to talk about sales

square enix doesn't develop dq

Okay I'll bite.

Level-5
Capcom
Platinum Games
SEGA
Vanillaware
Treasure
Grasshopper

are some known quality developers working on the Wii.

farnham said:
so yeah.. Nintendos output on the wii is about the same as on the GC

...and in terms of the output of quality games...

EDIT -

farnham said:
o The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition
o The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest

:lol :lol :lol You can't be serious?

donny2112

TJ Spyke said:
Leondexter, I think your numbers must be off. Unless you are saying that the Xbox 360 still hasn't surpassed the original Xbox in terms of US sales

That is correct. It only just passed the GameCube.

FrankT

MS Responds, got Fable 2 numbers, ~1 million:

Xbox 360 Registers Its Biggest November Ever

November NPD results are in and Xbox 360 highlights include:

· Most successful November for Xbox 360 in U.S. with record games, console sales and online momentum (this follows the recent announcement of a record November in Europe)

· Continuing to widen its installed base lead over the PS3

· Outsold PS3 and PS2 combined

· Record-setting software attach rate leads the industry, now at 8.1

The Xbox 360 continues to sell at record levels this holiday season, registering the biggest Black Friday and most successful November in its history. Xbox 360 sold a record number of consoles for the month of November at 836,000 units. (November NPD data)

With $298 million in third-party game sales in November, the Xbox 360 has generated more revenue at retail for third-party publishers than the PS3 and Wii combined this generation. (November NPD data)

In addition to a 3:1 console sales lead over the PS3 during the Black Friday weekend, Xbox 360 finished the month of November with more than a 2:1 sales advantage over PS3. (November NPD data and Microsoft internal data) This momentum is happening around the world as well; Xbox 360 was the fastest-growing console in Europe for the month of November, with sales up 124 percent year-over-year, versus 43 percent for Wii and three percent for PS3. (Microsoft Internal data)

The gaming business is more than just console sales – strong software sales and a growing online community is critical to long-term success of a platform. Xbox 360 outperformed the PS3 on total software sales for November at $408 million, thanks to the best and broadest games line up. (November NPD data) Additionally, Xbox LIVE continues to outpace both competitors with more than 14 million active members online worldwide, with the average number of unique visitors rising 66% in the past year. (Microsoft internal data) As an example of its industry-leading growth, every day, more than 1.5 million transactions and nearly 4 million game sessions take place on Xbox LIVE. In total, 45 network and studio partners, as well as Netflix, offer more than 30,000 pieces of entertainment content over Xbox LIVE.

“We’ve created the optimal line-up of experiences this holiday season for families seeking lasting entertainment value, particularly during rough economic times in the U.S. and abroad,” said Don Mattrick, senior vice president of the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft. “We have the largest library of games, TV and movie content and the most expansive and rewarding social experiences. We’re confident Xbox 360 will continue to drive record sales around the world this holiday and beyond.”

The Best New Content for the Broadest Audiences

Xbox 360 titles continue to dominate the industry’s top software spots, with three of the top ten games in November living on Xbox 360 (November NPD data).

· Xbox 360-exclusive “Gears of War 2” was this month’s #1 selling game with 1.6 million units sold. (November NPD data)

· “Call of Duty: World at War” for the Xbox 360 held the #2 spot, while “Left 4 Dead” rounded out the top 10 list at #8 (November NPD data)

· Xbox 360-exclusive “Fable 2” was honored to receive the Game of the Year Award during G4TV X-Play’s Best of 2008 Awards this week. In November, “Fable 2” sold 184,000 units, bringing its life to date sales to 974,000 units in the US. (November NPD and Microsoft internal data)

chespace said:
I see whatchu did Ben. Tsk tsk!

I didn't know! I swear!

Seriously!

No one was talking about that, in terms of the YoY so I figured maybe they haven't lowered the price otherwise everyone would be talking about that but then I figured, well, a year is a long time for no price drop.

So I figured I'd ask! Seriously!

If it's not about Lost, Grant Morrison, or building shit out of blue or orange blocks, it just leaks right out of my right ear.

Kunan

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Well, Mario Kart sold 637,000 this month. A good number of those probably went to new Wii owners. Nearly 500,000 copies of Guitar Hero this month, too.

Not to mention we don't know how many copies evergreen titles like Galaxy and Brawl are selling outside the Top 10.
Well they are definently still selling. The banned site has both at 7.5 million now, which is over a million higher each than 4 months ago. So I would hazard a guess that they're being picked up by the new owners. In other news, they have Mario Kart at 10.5, less than a million shy of beating all SKUs of GTAIV combined

markatisu

Matt at IGN still bitter as hell

The top-selling game for the month was not for either system, however. Gears of War 2 for Xbox 360 sold to 1.5 million gamers and Call of Duty: World at War for the same platform another 1.4 million. Wii Play took the third spot with nearly 800,000 units sold. Wii Fit managed nearly 700,000 more sales. Mario Kart Wii 637,000. World at War for PS3 597,000. Guitar Hero: World Tour for Wii 475,000. Left 4 Dead on Xbox 360 410,000. Resistance 2 on PS3 385,000. And Wii Music, unfortunately, sold to 297,000 buyers.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
schuelma said:
Wii Play= not a game

Wii Fit= definitely not a game

Wii Music= the most non non game in the history of non-games

Mario Kart- a game, but just barely. Plus it's made by Nintendo so minus half a game status

Guitar Hero-..hold on a second..umm...it's a game, but it's successful and popular so it's like a quasi game.

:lol :lol :lol

Wii fit does have a couple of fun games though, I like the bubble floating down the river one, the slalom, and the feeding fish penguin one

:lol

AndersTheSwede said:
Nice try, but the reverse doesn't really work with the 360. I don't how anyone could argue the Wii library is anywhere near as robust as the 360's. It filled with quality "hardcore" games in multiple genres. That's what people buy the 360 for, great games.

And that's what people buy the Wii for, too.

The 360 may have all those top games, but their best selling ones are games that have been around prior to this generation, too. You can't dismiss the Wi on that basis.

Certainly Wii Sports and Wii Fit play into, too.

But we've got Mario Kart with over 4 million sales, and Brawl and Galaxy are over 3 million, and possibly over 4 million, depending on how much they've been selling the past half a year or so.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Man, I honestly thought that's why the thread was relatively quiet.

I think there's no one left to ban really. And this thread is about 60% n-fans (which will move towards 80% towards the end), some of whom are relishing the victory and trying to passively rub it in to the ppl who trolled them back then i.e. "hey we're number one now and ur pwnd! take that Sony/Sony fans that bugged us back then!"

I'm still amazed at Nintendo's huge turn around since Gamecube. I personally find Wii's selection of games to be abyssmal even compared to Gamecube's, but that isn't stopping people from buying it. The promising remote seems to cast a powerful spell.

Jonsoncao

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
I didn't know! I swear!

Seriously!

No one was talking about that, in terms of the YoY so I figured maybe they haven't lowered the price otherwise everyone would be talking about that but then I figured, well, a year is a long time for no price drop.

So I figured I'd ask! Seriously!

If it's not about Lost, Grant Morrison, or building shit out of blue or orange blocks, it just leaks right out of my right ear.
:D :D

Narcosis said:
Wasn't Sony supposed to have finally broke even on the Playstation division? If so their best interest is to NOT push out another console in the near future. The company as a whole is hurting lately and spending more money on R&D, manufacturing and componet costs as well as game development for a new piece of hardware would be a very bad move at this time. They just have to ride things out a bit for now and take the hand that Kutaragi dealt them.

I'd be for Sony not releasing another console until 2013. It'll allow Sony to build a bigger userbase while pupping out the sequels.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kunan said:
Well they are definently still selling. The banned site has both at 7.5 million now, which is over a million higher each than 4 months ago. So I would hazard a guess that they're being picked up by the new owners. In other news, they have Mario Kart at 10.5

come on, man

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Y2Kev said:
So why hasn't MS and/or Sony imitated Wii Play and made a controller bundle?

It would never be as successful because MS and Sony's consoles aren't as locally multiplayer based, not by a long shot. The online component is too strong, therefore a lot of people don't even buy second controllers.

Besides it would probably be more expensive too, unless they were willing to cut out the profits. At which point would make it a pretty useless move, especially now. As far as bundling a game with a peripheral, I'm pretty sure they have all done that already.

TJ Spyke

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I'd be for Sony not releasing another console until 2013. It'll allow Sony to build a bigger userbase while pupping out the sequels.

I don't think Sony can afford to keep the PS3 alive until 2013.

donny2112

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Now, where are my charts?

When I started reading this thread, I was about a page behind. Now I am 7 pages behind. I'd like to catch up first, though I can say that Wii has now passed the PS360 in the U.S.+Japan and is right at 1 million behind in my estimated worldwide numbers. Wii may just pass up PS360 this year, after all. :)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Regulus Tera said:
DOUBLE NEGATIVE

WII MUSIC = GAME CONFIRMED

OH SHIT YOU GOT ME

MY WHOLE POST WAS A SECRET TRUMPETING OF WII MUSIC AND YOU FOUND ME OUT

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Hcoregamer00 said:
Holy crap, remind me never to get on your bad side.

All this does is confirm that my ignorelist isn't entirely full of it.

Good for Fable 2 btw. Over a million copies sold by the end of the year ain't too shabby.
Shame about TLR though unless it slipped just under the Top 10.

lol at Wii, it's like Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao fighting Oscar Dela Hoya and Floyd Mayweather in the same ring and knocking them out at the same time. This is just insane !!! :D :D :D

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ratcliffja said:
I'm always optimistic with Wii sales and even I'm in shock at how high they are. Is that the highest ever for a non-launch month?

#2 after ps2 december 2002, above all other months, launch or otherwise

Why are so many people shocked to see LBP outside of the top ten? It really isn't a an easy game to explain to parents/gift buyers. It isn't a holiday tent pole type of game. I think it will be the closest thing to a Nintendo style "evergreen" title for the ps3 though.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
TWO MILLION

Insane.

DS is at a million and a half. Also pretty insane.

360 did well, but Sony really needs to do something about the PS3 and PSP. (not so much the PS2, that's near the end of its life anyway)

Can we get Animal Crossing numbers?

Ironballs said:
LBP not charting is kind of depressing.

Treyarch COD selling over 2 mil is like throwing salt in the wound.
COD5 is great. Shut up. :D

And I'm happy to see 360 sales so good, but sad to see the Wii selling so much. Yeah I'm a hater and fuck it if you're not. :)

DogWelder

Kunan said:
Well they are definently still selling. The banned site has both at 7.5 million now, which is over a million higher each than 4 months ago. So I would hazard a guess that they're being picked up by the new owners. In other news, they have Mario Kart at 10.5, less than a million shy of beating all SKUs of GTAIV combined
You really shouldn't cite "that banned site" for any of your arguments. Case in point: they had Wii at around 1.6 million for the month and were ~25% off. At this point, that site publishes nothing more than ioi's estimates (and stolen data).

Xisiqomelir

2 Minutes Turkish said:
He was doing pretty well for a while. I've been watching him.

But now that Sony's in the shitter in the US, he can't help himself. I ALSO love how Domokunrox got banned on NexGenWars AND here.
:lol

Domo is actually not banned on NGW, as far as I know. And I have to admit that Dax is 30x the poster he was back in the Dark Ages.

RJT

schuelma said:
OH SHIT YOU GOT ME

MY WHOLE POST WAS A SECRET TRUMPETING OF WII MUSIC AND YOU FOUND ME OUT

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Dude, don't lie

schuelma said:
Wii Music= the most non non game in the history of non-games
Triple negative. You were trolling!

Slavik81

Spire said:
And the parade of "wait for..." PS3 sales excuses continues. It's just sad at this point guys, I wouldn't be surprised if I start seeing stuff like "Wait for Best Buy to have their 10% off all Blu-Ray movies sale this weekend, that's when PS3 sales will really start!".
Few people ever seriously said it. "Wait for..." is a meme mocking the fans of the system, mirroring the claims that Windwaker would save the Gamecube. The implication being that Windwaker didn't save the Gamecube and that no single game could save the PS3.

"Wait for..." has always been something said by the system's doubters. You, apparently, have been missing a lot of sarcasm.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
brain_stew said:
At this point, its in their best interests to reset the market with a new console launch asap. When Microsoft were siting with pathetic market share and billions of losses they couldn't release the 360 fast enough so to think Sony would react at all differently is naive imo. Sadly for them, I can't see the market supporting a new generation for 3 years at least, so there's plenty more for them to lose.

Yeah, even a mention of the PS4 now would really kick them in the nuts. The best thing they can do right now for their shareholders is to not hemmorage more money and keep the bottomline healthy at the expense of marketshare.

The games business is fickle. They can come back in a few years with PS4 if they play their cards right.

graphus01.png

graphus02.png

(first month only)

Fredescu

Azelover said:
It would never be as successful because MS and Sony's consoles aren't as locally multiplayer based, not by a long shot. The online component is too strong, therefore a lot of people don't even buy second controllers.

Besides it would probably be more expensive too, unless they were willing to cut out the profits. At which point would make it a pretty useless move, especially now. As far as bundling a game with a peripheral, I'm pretty sure they have all done that already.
MS have at least two official controller+game packs that I know of. There was one with PGR3 and Kameo and another with the XBLA games. It was probably counted as hardware, but both are discontinued now anyway and I doubt they would do near as well as Wii Play even if they weren't.

Top Bottom