• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

AAK

Oh man, rewind 10 months let alone 2 years ago... no one would have foreseen these events.

PS3 is officially third.

Slavik81

TheFatOne said:
The sad part is it's probably the best PS3 game out IMO. Just Sony fucking up the marketing as usual.
I'm not so sure its the marketing. I suspect that it's hard to sell a game that, fundamentally, is a $60 side-scrolling platformer.

SkySonata said:
If that were true, we'd never see those programmers on the consoles....... they'd still be at the PC game industry.
PC is like writing for four different platforms at once, and having to dumb everything down for the shit one. Takes a special sort of masochist to actually enjoy that.

a.wd

Mama Robotnik said:

so good...

BTW...daaaaaamn!!!!

Wii is the dominator...

Azelover said:
It's value for the whole family, you have to look at it from a different perspective. The value was always there to a certain extent for Nintendo systems, but it was never marketed properly. And the systems never looked attractive enough for this inherent value to be effectively brought out, this included the controller too. So it's really like shedding light on something that was already there.

Most consoles today sell to households based on the owning desire of a single person, so it's a completely different value that we're dealing with now. It's many people sharing a common interest for owning a product in a household and the value afterward is also completely different because of that. It's a real life community aspect neutral enough for many kinds of people join in.

Good points. Perhaps this is Nintendo finally figuring out how to drive it's style of gaming into the public consciousness by focusing on approachability and intuitiveness.

But it also begs the question. If this is the kind of consumer expectations driving the Wii are we really going to see it move beyond family friendly party games? Will it end up forever being a Nintendo franchise + party game platform?

It's these kinds of reasons that I think the Wii's success lies in a completely different class from the 360 and thus the two are competing for very different consumers. The success of one isn't impacting the success of the other. But that also makes comparisons pretty moot. "The Wii sold 30000 times the 360!!" Well sure, but so did the DS and that's not really taking money from MS is it?

onipex said:
You can see it below.

Yes, and much of that software is Wii play and Wii sports. Family party games.

Slavik81 said:
I'll admit, given the insanity surrounding the beta keys, I expected better. Maybe a North American million before next year.

It'll get there eventually, I think. But it's going to take a while.
Taking GAF as anecdote for anything sales-age related is a big, big mistake. Rest easy though, I didn't lump you in with the crazys. :lol

soldat7

Stoney Mason said:
If COD:WAW has any legs then its arguable this is maybe the biggest franchise around now. And it's going to be a yearly cash cow for awhile.

I think it's safe to say that the next game from Infinity Ward will be colossal.

AColdDay

hokahey said:
A lot of games. I don't think of them as hardcore or casual though. I play games all the time though, and have for the past 25 years. I am a hardcore gamer that plays all kinds of games.

But to answer your question, I've been playing through No More Heroes and Call of Duty in between session of Super Sluggers and Wii Fit.

I have more games than I know what to do with. I still need to finish Zack and Wiki and I still need to buy BWii.

This is the same situation that I'm in. I don't understand how people can claim that Wii has no "core" games, when I've got so many on my plate and the list just grows and grows.

I've got SMG, MP3, Resident Evil 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mario Kart, Smash, Godfather, Excite Truck, Endless Ocean, Zack and Wiki, Red Steel (awful game, why did I buy this?), Medal of Honor Heroes 2 and Madden.

I want Boom Blox, the new CoD, Trauma Center, Twilight Princess, de Blob, Okami, Bully, Guitar Hero 4, NO MORE HEROES, Shaun White and Battalion Wars.

This is an insane list. 13 games I've never had time to fully appreciate, plus a growing backlog of 11 gems that haven't gotten enough love and always get forgotten in these threads.

Next year it's going to get even worse, with MadWorld, Deadly Creatures, Conduit, Monster Hunter 3, House of the Dead and Wii Sports 2(if it's as good as the first it will be an absolute fun injection into the brain) all in 09.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hunter D said:
I'm going to post what I have posted in every NPD thread since jan 2008. This gen has already been decided. Sony's prelaunch clusterfuck and one full year of 3rd place killed he PS3. The first year decides how a console gen will go.

Anyone got any real understanding of how the Yen Vs. Dollar strength affects Sony's ability to crawl back? I have no idea if this is a strength or a weakness.

Slavik81

AndersTheSwede said:
It's these kinds of reasons that I think the Wii's success lies in a completely different class from the 360 and thus the two are competing for very different consumers. The success of one isn't impacting the success of the other. But that also makes comparisons pretty moot. "The Wii sold 30000 times the 360!!" Well sure, but so did the DS and that's not really taking money from MS is it?
Anecdotally, the evidence to me has been that the Wii is stealing the casual PS2 audience that Microsoft wanted to snag.

speculawyer said:
What makes you think I'm annoyed by the Wii's success? I'm just trying to understand the market.

...By skipping over the top 10 which is the point of the thread? Come on Spec. I know you're not stupid, so when you wonder aloud what people are buying on the Wii when the OP clearly shows Wii titles occupying half of the top 10 the next logical assumption is that you're being obtuse.

vareon

Wow, I completely missed this. There's 500 errors a few hours back and I thought "WTF, what happened at GAF?"

Completely forgot it's NPD time :lol

Weisheit

AndersTheSwede said:
Good points. Perhaps this is Nintendo finally figuring out how to drive it's style of gaming into the public consciousness by focusing on approachability and intuitiveness.

But it also begs the question. If this is the kind of consumer expectations driving the Wii are we really going to see it move beyond family friendly party games? Will it end up forever being a Nintendo franchise + party game platform?

Not counted.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Y2Kev said:
Dohhhhhh, I just realized Tomb Raider might have bombed. :\

stuuuummppp, my liege, any ideas?

No idea, wells have been totally dry for a while now.

Anecdotally it's done pretty poorly around here; 360 version did a few dozen copies across all stores in the city, pretty much 0 copies of any other version moved. I'm currently ip banned (?) from mygamercard (seriously, the site just drops all of my packets, has for a month or two) so I can't even run the algorithm on that to try to extrapolate anything for you.

vareon said:
Wow, I completely missed this. There's 500 errors a few hours back and I thought "WTF, what happened at GAF?"

Completely forgot it's NPD time :lol
The 500 errors actually stopped when the NPD thread came up, very weird.

camineet said:
I'm waiting for PS4 !!!!

aka PlayStation 2012 :D
Me too!

PS3 is already dead.

mu-chan

Neo Member
Keep it up Wii Music--not everyone that tries you will like you, but at least there are people out there discovering your brilliance.

jred250 said:
This is the same situation that I'm in. I don't understand how people can claim that Wii has no "core" games, when I've got so many on my plate and the list just grows and grows.

I've got SMG, MP3, Resident Evil 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mario Kart, Smash, Godfather, Excite Truck, Endless Ocean, Zack and Wiki, Red Steel (awful game, why did I buy this?), Medal of Honor Heroes 2 and Madden.

I want Boom Blox, the new CoD, Trauma Center, Twilight Princess, de Blob, Okami, Bully, Guitar Hero 4, NO MORE HEROES, Shaun White and Battalion Wars.

This is an insane list. 13 games I've never had time to fully appreciate, plus a growing backlog of 11 gems that haven't gotten enough love and always get forgotten in these threads.

Next year it's going to get even worse, with MadWorld, Deadly Creatures, Conduit, Monster Hunter 3, House of the Dead and Wii Sports 2(if it's as good as the first it will be an absolute fun injection into the brain) all in 09.

Not really much... insane core gamer with that list. It's pretty standard Nintendo fare. SMG and MP3 were over a year ago. RE4 is a remake of a GC game for gods sake. There are a few here and there but nothing that explains this level of sales.

I do hope MadWorld and Monster Hunter 3 blow the doors off as that will hopefully lead to more publisher involvement.

AAK said:
Oh man, rewind 10 months let alone 2 years ago... no one would have foreseen these events.

PS3 is officially third.
Speaking of 3rd and the 3rd console curse, was the n64 dead last? Or was it ahead of the Saturn?

jred250 said:

What's ironic is that most of the "core" games they refer to are usually less deep and "hardcore" then other games in their genre. Hell some are even franchises that were dumbed down for console audiences.

donny2112 said:
Mario Kart Wii sold more in its eighth month (637K) than Mario Kart: Double Dash!! sold in its launch month (just over 500K).

It's taking 'legs' to a whole new level.

A lot has been made of Wii Play being the #1 single SKU, but can Mario Kart Wii make it to number 2?

If it keeps selling consistently, 7-8 million doesn't seem that unrealistic.

Slavik81

DeaconKnowledge said:
...By skipping over the top 10 which is the point of the thread? Come on Spec. I know you're not stupid, so when you wonder aloud what people are buying on the Wii when the OP clearly shows Wii titles occupying half of the top 10 the next logical assumption is that you're being obtuse.
The top 10 is just the tip of the iceburg.

Lostconfused said:
Probably did. Hope that they can make money from long term sales of game and dlc.
*shudder*

radjago

The old rule of the thumb says double Oct to get Nov and double Nov to get Dec numbers. How in God's name is Nintendo going to ship 4M Wiis in one month?

Azrael

I guess the GAF consensus is games like Fallout 3 and Fable 2 are bombing too, since after all they didn't chart in their second month.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
AAK said:

PS3 is officially third.

Yeah, pretty bizarre given how much Sony dominated gaming for a decade.

Never EVER would I have thought the PS3 would be in the position it is today when I first saw that Killzone 2 CG trailer at E3 2005.

I do remember looking over at Kat Hunter when we were at the Sony E3 2006 conference when they announced $600 bucks. We were both like, waaaaaaat the fack. It was an unbelievable moment, and really, when the empire began to crumble.

BishopLamont said:
The 500 errors actually stopped when the NPD thread came up, very weird.
I suspect it's the work of lurkers. They just want the numbers so they can Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V into their own threads, articles etc. elsewhere.

Since GAF publishes the numbers as soon as they're available, it's inevitably the place non-GAFer system warriors will congregate

fuck can you imagine if Killzone is crushed by Halo wars?

Simply because it says Halo on the box and people buy it assuming the next Halo game?
:lol

Surely THAT would be the end wouldn't it?

2 Minutes Turkish said:
fuck can you imagine if Killzone is crushed by Halo wars?

Simply because it says Halo on the box and people buy it assuming the next Halo game?
:lol

Surely THAT would be the end wouldn't it?

I doubt it, Halo isn't that big in the States.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Stumpokapow said:
No idea, wells have been totally dry for a while now.

Anecdotally it's done pretty poorly around here; 360 version did a few dozen copies across all stores in the city, pretty much 0 copies of any other version moved. I'm currently ip banned (?) from mygamercard (seriously, the site just drops all of my packets, has for a month or two) so I can't even run the algorithm on that to try to extrapolate anything for you.
I wonder why it bombed. Was marketed heavily, is a big franchise, last few iterations have sold pretty well and been well received...

I think the economy is going to destroy a number of publishers in the next year.

onipex

AndersTheSwede said:

Well not Wii Sports , but I get your point. My point is software sales are software sales no matter what kind of software it is. The 360 has family games just like the Wii has core games. MS wants the most system/software sales for the same reason Nintendo and Sony do. More money and more 3rd party support.

People paying $250 for a Wii and not $199 for a 360 is taking money from MS. The same way that people buying COD5 for 360 and not Wii is taking money from Nintendo. Both are in the same market and compete for the same consumer. That is simply the consumer out to buy a video game console. Not a hardcore or casual person, but a person out to spend money on a product that they make.

Azrael said:
I guess the GAF consensus is games like Fallout 3 and Fable 2 are bombing too, since after all they didn't chart in their second month.

Well Fable sold an absurd amount in its first month if we are making a LBP comparison...

Top Bottom