• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

Here's some loose math for ya:

Microsoft specified that they sold $408 million in software this month. Sony said they sold 3.5m units, which is somewhere around $200m. I don't think we can estimate Wii yet; NPD says total software sales this month are $1.45b, but I don't know if that includes PC titles, which would throw off the Wii number.

Edit: The Nintendo PR doesn't mention software numbers other than Top 10, unfortunately.

Xisiqomelir

Serious talk:

How is spending $10M on AAA HD game and getting back $15-20M better than spending the same amount on AAA Wii game and getting back $30-45M?

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Anyway, don't see you online much. I'm tempted to get SSF2HDTR on PS3 just to play you :lol

Yes, do this!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Cellbomber said:
I'm trying to think if Sony is the first manufacture to be supporting three consoles at once. Are they the first to do this?

Is pretty impressive if so, cause I'm sure it's a task trying to balance everything out across the three platforms.
Nay, both Sega and Nintendo have done it several times before themselves. Though only Nintendo has had an real success at it (and even then they bailed on it pretty quick).

Nintendo
Gamecube
GBA
Nintendo DS

N64
Virtual boy
Game Boy

Sega
They had like 6 of them out at once. It was insane.

grandjedi6 said:
Nay, both Sega and Nintendo have done it several times before themselves. Though only Nintendo has had an real success at it (and even then they bailed on it pretty quick).

Nintendo
Gamecube
GBA
Nintendo DS

N64
Virtual boy
Game Boy

Sega

I was going to mention Sega, but the original poster specified supporting three consoles at once.

Xisiqomelir said:
Serious talk:

How is spending $10M on AAA HD game and getting back $15-20M better than spending the same amount on AAA Wii game and getting back $30-45M?

It's easier though to go the cheap route and then complain when it doesn't work. Human nature is to take the easier route.

Link

The Autumn Wind
speculawyer said:
Do you realize that you appear to be the one whining everyone someone says anything that can be interpreted as slightly negative toward your beloved Nintendo?
At least I'm not that one guy that goes to a party and wonders out loud how people could possibly be having fun.

I have all 3 consoles, I'm just looking at things and trying to figure things out . . . it is really annoying to have every comment attacked by a fanboy defense force.
You sure do play the ignorant act card a lot.

speculawyer said:
Do you realize that you appear to be the one whining everyone someone says anything that can be interpreted as slightly negative toward your beloved Nintendo?

I have all 3 consoles, I'm just looking at things and trying to figure things out . . . it is really annoying to have every comment attacked by a fanboy defense force.
His right though, you've been very bitter about the Wii lately. I'm sure you know why the Wii is successful by now, so I don't know why you keep questioning it.

PistolGrip said:
Someone at SONY needs to get fired! Terrible marketing, mispricing. I'll take the excuse of the yen being high but when you are this close of losing most of market share you have to take more chances.

Hopefully someone there has a strategy for 08.

* RPGs
* Marketing blue-ray/games effectively. Start an awareness campaign
* hardware redesign. Its big and clunky. You need a thin slick looking console!
* Bring BC back (hopefully PS2 is finally dead next year)

* Have killzone demos in every GS in town!
* lower price $50 before the storm starts (Killzone), do it early in the year when sales will not hurt you as much then do another $50 before Xmas when you introduce the new model.
That's the last thing they'd want to happen.

DogWelder

Xisiqomelir said:
Serious talk:

It's not, but how could we possibly know how much development costs or margins are for each game? It's impossible to know; you would be pushing the limits of conjecture.

grandjedi6 said:

Nintendo
Gamecube
GBA
Nintendo DS

N64
Virtual boy
Game Boy

Sega
To be fair, the Virtual Boy wasn't for very long.

I also forgot about Sega back in the day. They were mad keen for platforms.

JudgeN

Xisiqomelir said:
Serious talk:

Who to say you will make $30-45M back on the Wii?

From "Year of the PS3" to "Final Year of the PS3?"
2e5qd8o.gif

Way to go, Kaz.

onipex said:
People paying $250 for a Wii and not $199 for a 360 is taking money from MS. The same way that people buying COD5 for 360 and not Wii is taking money from Nintendo. Both are in the same market and compete for the same consumer. That is simply the consumer out to buy a video game console. Not a hardcore or casual person, but a person out to spend money on a product that they make.

I would have to disagree with this. Perhaps in the case of a parent going into Best Buy with just a general "I want to buy Jimmy a console" idea. But anyone personally plunking down hundreds of dollars for a gaming system (particularly these days) has answered to themselves "why?" and the answer for the Wii seems to be "party!". Well the 360 was never built around party games as a central part of it's business plan. They were unlikely to grab these kinds of consumers whether the Wii existed or not because they didn't establish it as a recognizable part of the consoles marketing from launch.

On the flip side, Gears or Halo increasing 360 hardware movement doesn't take away from the Wii as the Wii was never built around pushing these types high-tech intense core games. The Wii wouldn't have gotten those sales whether the 360 existed or not.

xbhaskarx

PlayStation by the Numbers
November 2008

Hardware Sales Grow 60% Year-to-Date

From January to November 2008, more than 2.8 million PS3s have been sold in the U.S., representing a year-to-date hardware sales growth of more than 60%.

Fueled by an unmatched holiday line-up of blockbuster first and third-party titles, more that 3,552,456 software units were sold for PS3 in November, representing a year-to-date growth of 150%.

Power of the PlayStation Portfolio

Year-to-date (Jan-Nov), the PlayStation brand generated more than 5 billion in revenue, representing an 11% growth year-to-date.

PlayStation total hardware revenue was $261 million in November, representing a year-to-date growth of 9%.

PlayStation total software revenue in November was $352 million, representing a year-to-date growth of 16%.

:lol
That's seven uses of "year-to-date"!

Power of the PlayStation Portfolio: 9% growth in "PlayStation total hardware revenue"... year-to-date!

RagnarokX

viciouskillersquirrel said:
To be fair, the Virtual Boy wasn't for very long.

I also forgot about Sega back in the day. They were mad keen for platforms.
Didn't they still support Super Famicom in Japan until just a few years ago?

JudgeN

Do we have Valkyria numbers or LBP? I need to know how long I need to cry tonight.

Fuck it, we all know PS3 owners don't buy games. They prove that shit every month :lol

Niks

I sure am looking forward to 2010!!
Great games for the PS3 + ill probably "jump in" with the 360 getting cheaper!

btw next gen sure is going to be interesting!

Pachael

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Cellbomber
(Today, 12:07 PM)
Reply | Quote

They're not. Nintendo was supporting the DS, the GBA and the GCN at one point and later on, they were supporting the DS, GBA and Wii.

Hell, have you forgotten the SNES, the Nintendo 64 and the Gameboy?

I was going to say Sega, but I was beaten. (Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Game Gear, arguably Saturn, Sega Master System and/or Nomad)

Xisiqomelir

JudgeN said:
Do we have Valkyria numbers or LBP? I need to know how long I need to cry tonight.

Fuck it, we all know PS3 owners don't buy games. They prove that shit every month :lol

I'm pretty sure Valkyria is 65-80k.

And yes I hate PS3 owners who didn't buy VC too :(

jred250 said:
SMG may not be new to gaf, but to this new group, age of the title doesn't even come into play. That is why I think that Wii games have legs. It's not as if No More Heroes and Boom Blox didn't sell, they just didn't follow the established sales patterns that HD console's games follow.

When you're capable of pushing 2 millions units in a single month this type of "back catalog" up sell is certainly going to happen. So yes, perhaps I shouldn't dismiss them as being "a year old." But my point was more "why buy now instead of when these came out?" The price hasn't decreased.

Xisiqomelir said:
Yes, do this!

2 things though dude.

1) How much is Street Fighter 2 on PS3?

2) You're hardly online. If I saw you on there more often, I probably would. Our timezones are pretty fucked up.

You still studying or you all done?

AndersTheSwede said:
But anyone personally plunking down hundreds of dollars for a gaming system (particularly these days) has answered to themselves "why?" and the answer for the Wii seems to be "party!".

This is such a tired out argument. It's no more that then "People only buy the 360 to play shooters."

Both statements have some truth in them, obviously. There are people who buy the Wii primarily for party games, and there are people who buy the 360 primarily for shooters.

But if you look at all the software being sold for the Wii, it's pretty clear that the majority of Wii owners are buying software that wouldn't be classified as party games.

Link said:
At least I'm not that one guy that goes to a party and wonders out loud how people could possibly be having fun.

Ah, if only it were just one.

I pray things stay like this (360 incredible software, Wii incredible hardware) because if the Wii really starts dominating monthly 3rd party software too I don't know what the haters are going to do with themselves.

No_Style

Wii, you're too awesome.
NDS, you're equally awesome.
360, you're doing it right.
PSP, you're doing alright.
PS3, you're doing it poorly, but I still love you.
PS2, you're still here?

a Master Ninja said:
From "Year of the PS3" to "Final Year of the PS3?"
2e5qd8o.gif

Way to go, Kaz.
At least it has a pack-in. I think Wii Sports and xbox's Lego Indy & Kung Fu Panda show that having pack-ins really help. The xbox 360 had some great black friday deals because the console box came with 2 pack-ins already and the black friday deals often added more s/w titles to sweeten the deal even more.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Xisiqomelir said:
I'm pretty sure Valkyria is 65-80k.

And yes I hate PS3 owners who didn't buy VC too :(

Your guess about Valkyria sales are more positive than mine, I am betting that it is between 35k and 40k.

Yeah, as you can see, I have very little faith in PS3 owners to buy a good game.

Kusagari said:
I don't even want to see Valkyria's numbers....

As much as I don't want to know, I still want to see the numbers.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Slavik81 said:
Really? When you heard all that bullshit? I remember following that. By that time, Sony's executives and PR couldn't open their mouths for 10 seconds without saying something stupid or worrisome. Their endless promises were wild, impossible and, as we now know, empty.

E3 2006 might have been when it was clearly revealed to the world that Sony had veered wildly off-course, but it happened long before then. More than a year.

Yeah, E3 2005 was pretty successful for Sony actually. Most of the press folks I sat with came out with our jaws on the floor. That was literally our first impression though. It blew us away. Killzone 2 trailer was so far beyond anything the 360 had shown and Sony said it was real time. Coming out of that movie studio venue, lots of journalists really thought this was it -- that the PlayStation hegemony would gloriously live on.

But yeah, E3 2006 was really a wake-up call. $600 dollars immediately reminded me of Neo-Geo Gold System territory when I heard it. It wasn't so much a direct comparison of the consoles tech specs or capabilities, but the fact that $600 was simply not a mass market price -- not then and not 14 years later.

AndersTheSwede said:
When you're capable of pushing 2 millions units in a single month this type of "back catalog" up sell is certainly going to happen. So yes, perhaps I shouldn't dismiss them as being "a year old." But my point was more "why buy now instead of when these came out?" The price hasn't decreased.

Increased Wii shipments would be my first assertion, along with holiday typically being when consoles get pushed.

Link

The Autumn Wind
AndersTheSwede said:
Because they probably weren't able to find one until now.

Top Bottom