• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

donny2112

Gaborn said:
For example, the Wii's software attach rate is higher than the PS3.

It shouldn't be by now. I'm pretty sure that this month lowered the Wii's tie ratio again. It would've had to sell December software numbers to not go lower.

camineet

Banned
Dexter1.gif

So awesome :D

Dax01 said:
Xbox 360 nearly tripled the PS3's sales.

Holy shit at Wii, yadda yadda yadda.

For those CoD: WaW number, I'm assuming that is all platforms, or just 360?

Its now 360Triple, not PSTriple :D

Awesome wii sales.. i called it too, well i said the wii would hit around 2million. PS3 wow.. not sure what to think of it really ..

duk

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
fuck can you imagine if Killzone is crushed by Halo wars?

Simply because it says Halo on the box and people buy it assuming the next Halo game?
:lol

Surely THAT would be the end wouldn't it?

wont happen lol

Link

The Autumn Wind
Stumpokapow said:
being neck and neck with the gamecube sales, declining yoy in the year 2 to year 3 transition, and being a distant third is, yes, by definition completely abysmal.
Incidentally, what were the GC's November 2003 sales?

mr_bishiuk said:
Think their A teams are working on other platforms don't you? If i was a top of the line programmer or top computer artist I would demand to work on the best kit for the sake of my career.
Going by that logic, no one should want to work on the 360 or PS3 over the PC. Looks like plenty of careers are being fucked by poor sales, though.

speculawyer said:
Christmas presents and Wii Sports. It sold more than 2X the xbox 360 yet the top 2 games are xbox 360 games. The top selling Wii 'game' was an extra controller with a $10 tech demo included.
You're on a roll lately.

Here's a quick summary of this thread:

baby_crying_closeup.jpg

I love watching supposedly grown men blubbering like a little child that just had his new haircut made fun of.

Slavik81 said:
Anecdotally, the evidence to me has been that the Wii is stealing the casual PS2 audience that Microsoft wanted to snag.

Sure, I'm probably categorizing things into neat segments too much as there is some overlap here. But MS' business isn't built upon casuals, any they get is simply a nice extra to their bottom line.

I'm trying to think if Sony is the first manufacture to be supporting three consoles at once. Are they the first to do this?

Is pretty impressive if so, cause I'm sure it's a task trying to balance everything out across the three platforms.

Narcosis

Azrael said:
I guess the GAF consensus is games like Fallout 3 and Fable 2 are bombing too, since after all they didn't chart in their second month.

If anyone were to say those games bombed they would only prove themselves to be stupid or blessed with an obnoxious level of ignorance. MS gave a very good lifetime sales number for Fable II and Fallout 3 performed fairly well on consoles, especially considering that much like Valve's L4D a good portion of the fanbase of the Fallout series are PC gamers.

Cellbomber said:
I'm trying to think if Sony is the first manufacture to be supporting three consoles at once. Are they the first to do this?

Is pretty impressive if so, cause I'm sure it's a task trying to balance everything out across the three platforms.

No, Nintendo's done it before.

1cesc said:
Probably doesn't matter now; they'll be bought out soon enough.
Is crystal dynamics in trouble (it's them right?)

Also I only mention dlc because it's probably an important source of revenue for a game with few sales

WarLox

"With $298 million in third-party game sales in November, the Xbox 360 has generated more revenue at retail for third-party publishers than the PS3 and Wii combined this generation. (November NPD data)"

2nao4cx.gif
30iktph.gif

This is why the Wii and 360 can coexist.

Azrael said:
I guess the GAF consensus is games like Fallout 3 and Fable 2 are bombing too, since after all they didn't chart in their second month.

So that's the only criteria? Second month lower than first? You realize both games wildly outsold LBP in their first months. Your argument does not work in this instance. (If you're talking about LBP that is.)

Slavik81

chespace said:
Yeah, pretty bizarre given how much Sony dominated gaming for a decade.

Never EVER would I have thought the PS3 would be in the position it is today when I first saw that Killzone 2 CG trailer at E3 2005.

I do remember looking over at Kat Hunter when we were at the Sony E3 2006 conference when they announced $600 bucks. We were both like, waaaaaaat the fack. It was an unbelievable moment, and really, when the empire began to crumble.
Really? When you heard all that bullshit? I remember following that. By that time, Sony's executives and PR couldn't open their mouths for 10 seconds without saying something stupid or worrisome. Their endless promises were wild, impossible and, as we now know, empty.

E3 2006 might have been when it was clearly revealed to the world that Sony had veered wildly off-course, but it happened long before then. More than a year.

Cellbomber said:

Well Nintendo has supported 2 handheld systems and a home console before.

AColdDay

AndersTheSwede said:
Not really much... insane core gamer with that list. It's pretty standard Nintendo fare. SMG and MP3 were over a year ago. RE4 is a remake of a GC game for gods sake. There are a few here and there but nothing that explains this level of sales.

I do hope MadWorld and Monster Hunter 3 blow the doors off as that will hopefully lead to more publisher involvement.

I probably fit into this new demographic that is buying the Wii. I didn't buy Twilight Princess when it came out and still haven't bought it. I will, but I usually never buy stuff right when they come out. This is probably the mindset of a lot of people who are buying the system. They aren't the type that camp out for GTA4, they are the ones that buy it when they have time for it and think about it.

SMG may not be new to gaf, but to this new group, age of the title doesn't even come into play. That is why I think that Wii games have legs. It's not as if No More Heroes and Boom Blox didn't sell, they just didn't follow the established sales patterns that HD console's games follow.

Cellbomber said:

Forgotten about the 'three pillars of Nintendo' already?

GBA lasted a couple of years after the DS launched, and was still getting some good games until near the end.

Cellbomber said:

Wii, DS and GBA for a while.

Cube, DS and GBA too.

Nutter

Flying_Phoenix said:
I doubt it, Halo isn't that big in the States.
Wait What?:lol
Was there some sarcasm here that i missed?

Halo is the biggest First Party Series outside of Wiiplay in the US.

Link said:
baby_crying_closeup.jpg

I love watching supposedly grown men blubbering like a little child that just had his new haircut made fun of.
Do you realize that you appear to be the one whining everyone someone says anything that can be interpreted as slightly negative toward your beloved Nintendo?

I have all 3 consoles, I'm just looking at things and trying to figure things out . . . it is really annoying to have every comment attacked by a fanboy defense force.

AniHawk

Count Dookkake said:
I believe I was once banned long ago for making a joke about the PS3 being a stillbirth. I admit it was in poor taste, no matter how apt.

Yeah, I had typed "stillborn." It's not that uncommon to hear about products that fail out of the gate, but it's still such a harsh word.

Sir Alemeth said:
17mil....guess that isn't TOO bad...

Saturn was actually second place in Japan. Nintendo went from 1st to 3rd that generation there.

Xisiqomelir said:
Domo is actually not banned on NGW, as far as I know. And I have to admit that Dax is 30x the poster he was back in the Dark Ages.
huzzah wat.

I'll take that as a compliment.

Don't shatter my illusion!

does this mean PS3 price drop then?

Nintendo should just increase the wii's price and see if everyone will still gobble it up. I'm guess would be yes, yes they would.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Someone at SONY needs to get fired! Terrible marketing, mispricing. I'll take the excuse of the yen being high but when you are this close of losing most of market share you have to take more chances.

Hopefully someone there has a strategy for 08.

* RPGs
* Marketing blue-ray/games effectively. Start an awareness campaign
* hardware redesign. Its big and clunky. You need a thin slick looking console!
* Bring BC back (hopefully PS2 is finally dead next year)
* Have killzone demos in every GS in town!
* lower price $50 before the storm starts (Killzone), do it early in the year when sales will not hurt you as much then do another $50 before Xmas when you introduce the new model.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Forgotten about the 'three pillars of Nintendo' already?

GBA lasted a couple of years after the DS launched, and was still getting some good games until near the end.

That's why I asked, wasn't sure if Nintendo had done it or not. After I gave my GBA to someone I stopped following titles for it.

Cellbomber said:

Cellbomber
(Today, 12:07 PM)
Reply | Quote

They're not. Nintendo was supporting the DS, the GBA and the GCN at one point and later on, they were supporting the DS, GBA and Wii.

Hell, have you forgotten the SNES, the Nintendo 64 and the Gameboy?

DogWelder

Lostconfused said:
Is crystal dynamics in trouble (it's them right?)

Also I only mention dlc because it's probably an important source of revenue for a game with few sales
SCi/Eidos is in trouble (owner of Crystal Dynamics), and is currently being courted by big name publishers--Ubi and Square-Enix, among others.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
AzureJericho said:
Seems like you do need an account to view it.

ahhh

okay

lol said:
REDMOND, Wash., Dec. 11, 2008 – With more than 3.6 million combined systems sold in November, Wii™ and Nintendo DS™ set new hardware sales records, according to the independent NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. The Wii console sold more than 2 million in November, a new all-time record for a non-December month. The Nintendo DS system sold more than 1.56 million in November, which is now the second-highest total for a non-December month in history. The Wii console has sold 15.4 million in the United States since it launched in November 2006, and Nintendo DS has sold nearly 24.6 million in the United States since it launched in November 2004.

"Nintendo's record-breaking sales demonstrate that consumers are looking for the best value not only among video games, but also among all entertainment options," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "Shoppers are looking for gifts that can be enjoyed by the whole family, and Nintendo provides an incomparable range of experiences that gets the whole family involved."

Four games made for Nintendo systems placed in the top 10 U.S. best-sellers for November, representing the diversity of people who play Nintendo games. These included Wii Play™ (for casual and lapsed players) at No. 3 with more than 796,000 sold, Wii Fit™ (for new gamers) at No. 4 with more than 697,000 sold, Mario Kart™ Wii (for both core and casual payers) at No. 5 with nearly 637,000 sold and Wii Music™ (for everyone) placed at No. 9 with more than 297,000 sold, following its long-tail trend.

Looking at the industry as a whole, Nintendo products continue to fuel the engine of the video game industry. In November alone, Nintendo represented 198 percent of industry growth over 2007. Nintendo systems represented 66 percent of all hardware sales in November, including 59 percent of all console sales and 79 percent of all portable hardware sales.

For more information about Nintendo, visit yo momma

Slavik81

AndersTheSwede said:
Sure, I'm probably categorizing things into neat segments too much as there is some overlap here. But MS' business isn't built upon casuals, any they get is simply a nice extra to their bottom line.
The arcade unit exists entirely to emulate the PS2. It released at $299 and features no hard drive, required a memory card to be purchased separately, had a wired controller, standard definition cables (composite) and released one year ahead of its competition. They were gunning for that PS2 audience.

The Xbox 360 was not designed to be the Xbox 2. It was designed to be the PS3. It ended up being a little of both... Though it's clearly taken on a life of its own as something completely different from either the PS2 or the Xbox.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
onipex said:
Well not Wii Sports , but I get your point. My point is software sales are software sales no matter what kind of software it is. The 360 has family games just like the Wii has core games. MS wants the most system/software sales for the same reason Nintendo and Sony do. More money and more 3rd party support.

People paying $250 for a Wii and not $199 for a 360 is taking money from MS. The same way that people buying COD5 for 360 and not Wii is taking money from Nintendo. Both are in the same market and compete for the same consumer. That is simply the consumer out to buy a video game console. Not a hardcore or casual person, but a person out to spend money on a product that they make.

Even if Microsoft was to take on this mission they're not as good at it as Nintendo, and would lose the fight quite easily. A lot of that has to do with the image they have carved for themselves, both MS and Nintendo.

Nintendo is now actually being able to touch people who were downright scared of gaming itself, they will not touch a console with the kind of fame the 360 has even now especially after they've got a Wii, not by a long shot.

They can try, which in my opinion they haven't even begun trying, but it's a definite challenge. It's just not in their established brand at all and odds are it would be incredibly difficult to go there considering how it is, especially with competition from Nintendo.

Nice try viciouskillersquirrel, I came up with this name long before PS3 was around. I can point you to fantasy leagues where I used this for the team name :D

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
speculawyer said:
I have all 3 consoles, I'm just looking at things and trying to figure things out . . . it is really annoying to have every comment attacked by a fanboy defense force.

Your previous post didn't exactly scream "I'm logically and reasonably trying to figure things out"

Azrael

BenjaminBirdie said:
So that's the only criteria? Second month lower than first? You realize both games wildly outsold LBP in their first months. Your argument does not work in this instance. (If you're talking about LBP that is.)

It's the criteria that keeps getting tossed around this thread. ~1 million worldwide sales in a little over a month for a 2D platformer from a small development team is a success. I'd like to know how some of you guys think Banjo is a hit and LBP is a failure when LBP has sold considerably more at a higher MSRP to boot.

And then you've got the whole 410k sales is a smash hit, while 385k sales is a turd silliness too running rampant.

Top Bottom