• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

WarLox

-Double_A said:
More .gifs please

exercisegurulf4.gif

Sean said:
Sony really needed a price drop or at least an appealing bundle (that Uncharted 160gb one is a joke). They're getting slaughtered during the biggest and most important months of the year. Not only is PS3 hardware sales down from last November but their first party lineup also continues to underperform - LBP doesn't seem to have any legs, Motorstorm 2 didn't chart two months in a row, and Resistance 2 had a pretty poor debut (385k with an entire month of sales) for their premiere exclusive.

I'm sure they will drop the price in March but they really could've used something this time of year.
They will probably wait for killzone 2 numbers

If THIS game doesn't sell, they are in serious trouble

Niks

Cellbomber said:
Oh for first it's a definite cause nobody's catching the wii.

Lets say it's another 3 years to go before the next consoles are out, then I think a lot can still happen in the race for 2nd place. That's a long time for things to happen, but the PS3 is going to have to have some price cuts soon. Over the summer we saw it can outsell the 360 at a higher price point, but at this time the price difference is way too much.

This is news to me?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
lowlylowlycook said:
So there is no way that directly subsidizing BR-player sales and/or outright bribing studios to get on board would have been cheaper than killing off the Playstation Brand, right?

Well, in retrospect... :lol

JudgeN

biomassabc said:
They will probably wait for killzone 2 numbers

If THIS game doesn't sell, they are in serious trouble

They been in trouble since they launched, PS3 owners (The ones that buy games, fuck the others) should only worry about the quality of the games. Which now is really really good. Sales will just make them cry, and cry they shall.

*Cries for Valkyria*

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hmm, stump, I remember sharing a laugh with you about Fable 2 reaching Fable 1's 1.8 million. Now that it sold about 200k in its second month, how do you feel about that prediction? I don't think it has any shot of doubling, but maybe?

Yes Boss! said:
Wow.

So awesome that Wii Music charted. Another bona fide hit from nintendo and further proof that GAF still does not understand how (even) first party games sell on the Wii.

Advertising?

in its debut month i saw hardly any Ads for Wii music. It seems like after last months NPD numbers Nintendo went to into over drive advertising the game.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
2million Wiis is fucking insane.

Has anybody checked to see if that's broken any sales records? Like, maybe best selling month ever?

FrankT

Kibbles said:
Mark Rein said Gears 2 was past 3 million... :S Did it really double that number by the first week of December?

That numbers is World Wide as of last week. This numbers is for the US in November.

Y2Kev said:
Hmm, stump, I remember sharing a laugh with you about Fable 2 reaching Fable 1's 1.8 million. Now that it sold about 200k in its second month, how do you feel about that prediction? I don't think it has any shot of doubling, but maybe?

I don't think Fable 1 even reached a million in the US in 2004 and it released in September (At least according to Wiki it was under 1 million per the top ten games that year). So it is most certainly outperforming the original. It may or may not reach that number, but it depends on Christmas month really.

Link

The Autumn Wind
AndersTheSwede said:
Which is why I have said the Wii is definitely a positive for the industry. It's not really hurting the 360 or core gaming and is simply growing the market. I may be bewildered as to why so many people would want one, but it's still positive.
The same reason so many people bought an NES for SMB, or a Game Boy for Tetris, or a PS2 for GTAIII, or a DS for Brain Training.

A new, fresh software experience that appeals to the masses beyond the standard current videogame crowd.

duk

Banned
PistolGrip said:
Someone at SONY needs to get fired! Terrible marketing, mispricing. I'll take the excuse of the yen being high but when you are this close of losing most of market share you have to take more chances.

Hopefully someone there has a strategy for 08.

* RPGs
* Marketing blue-ray/games effectively. Start an awareness campaign
* hardware redesign. Its big and clunky. You need a thin slick looking console!
* Bring BC back (hopefully PS2 is finally dead next year)
* Have killzone demos in every GS in town!
* lower price $50 before the storm starts (Killzone), do it early in the year when sales will not hurt you as much then do another $50 before Xmas when you introduce the new model.

They already fired KK :(

Gaborn

ZealousD said:

Has anybody checked to see if that's broken any sales records? Like, maybe best selling month ever?

Second best month ever, best November ever.

Cheech

2 Minutes Turkish said:
True.

I just don't like the idea of 'taking apart' my PS3. Especially considering mine is a precious 60GB. Even if it IS a PAL one.

I can play PS2 games on it regardless.

I actually just tossed a 320 gigger into my 40 gig PS3 today.

It is dirt simple. You don't really go "inside" the machine, it's not much more invasive than snapping on and off the 360's hard drive.

Just get a Phillips with a smaller/sharper head, and press *hard* on the screws. They strip pretty easily. I did ok, but came close once.

Atreides

Golden Darkness said:
The Nintendo PR doesn't make sense.

Wii Music is number 10 not 9. And Guitar Hero World Tour isn't mentioned.

Probably GH isn't in the top 10 if its several SKUs are not combined.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
JudgeN said:
They been in trouble since they launched, PS3 owners (The ones that buy games, fuck the others) should only worry about the quality of the games. Which now is really really good. Sales will just make them cry, and cry they shall.

*Cries for Valkyria*

So fucking true, it is a shame that a good game like this bombed so bad in retail.

Don't worry Microsoft fans, I also cried for Tales of Vesperia.

AniHawk

ZealousD said:

I think the previous record was 1.3m for PS2 for November.

Best month ever was 2.6-3m, also set by PS2.

fernoca

Anyone knows any other numbers?
So far, searching around....
Fable II, Guitar Hero World Tour, Fallout 3 and Mortal Kombat (360 versions) did under 200k..but that's pretty..rounded, any more direct numbers?

ZealousD said:

Best November; the best month ever is Dec. 2002 by the PS2 with like 2.7mln I think.

koam

Over 2 million during a freaking recession? HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

PS3 is pretty much a lost cause at this point. Is it even doing as bad as the xbox1/Gamecube did?

360 is doing fairly well. It's not in first place but it's in a respectable second.

What was Sony's PR? I don't even know where to begin when trying to think of a way to spin that.

WarLox

mood said:
Wow 360 owners buy a lot of software.
Itd be cool to know how Halo 3 did

I know, its a great time to be a gamer. Great games to play, new deals every day. Bomba ahoy so prices are dropping fast.

It's time to party, not bicker about Sony's downward spiral.

2r6yusn.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Y2Kev said:

Well, Fable 1 had the advantage of The Lost Chapters giving it a second wind and IIRC, The Lost Chapters did a pretty meaty chunk of those 1.8. Fable 2 is already getting the DLC--it just remains to be seen if they'll do a GOTY or bundle SKU. If they do a Fable 2 Lost Chapters and actually promote and/or ship it, it's pretty much guaranteed to reach it.

Fable 2 is tracking ahead of Fable 1. On the other hand, 360 titles are substantially more upfront and I don't imagine Fable 2 moving any meaningful amount of units past next April or May.

Wait and see if we find out how it does next month. Very little releases in December, so Fable 2 should still do decent Christmas sales as it's probably in the top bracket of Holiday 360 titles (with GHWT, RB2, CoD5, GoW2, and Fallout3, in no particular order) and if anything it's the most accessible non-music game for any Arcade bundle users who might be outside the 360's normal demographic. If it pulls 300-400k next month, it should reach 1.8 no problem. If it pulls 100-200k, it'll be more of an uphill struggle.

That's my take.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
xbhaskarx said:
(quotes)

So "xbots" is now "xfags"? he's getting desperate. :lol
I love it when a fanboy finally breaks down and shows their true colours. It makes me feel... satisfied.

TTG

Kibbles said:
Mark Rein said Gears 2 was past 3 million... :S Did it really double that number by the first week of December?

Wasn't there also a PR piece from Bethesda that Fallout went over 4 million? I'm guessing both of them shipped a lot to retailers.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Soka said:
Best November; the best month ever is Dec. 2002 by the PS2 with like 2.7mln I think.

I'm not sure Wii will hit 2.7 million this month. Their current numbers are a result of Nintendo actually well stocked in late October and early November and then they all disappeared on Black Friday. Their shipment numbers right now are still higher than average but it seems like not quite as much as November.

Never know though. They could send another crazy ass shipment this month, but I think supply constraints are going to hold them back.

koam said:
Over 2 million during a freaking recession? HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

PS3 is pretty much a lost cause at this point. Is it even doing as bad as the xbox1/Gamecube did?

360 is doing fairly well. It's not in first place but it's in a respectable second.

What was Sony's PR? I don't even know where to begin when trying to think of a way to spin that.

Contrary to my previous comments, the PS3 isn't actually doing THAT bad.

17 million in 2 years at it's price point and with it's other struggles, while also competing against the PS2 internally.

I think it just ook sreally bad because of the Wii and because it's coming third to a relative newcomer in Microsoft.

It'll end up beating the Cube and Xbox by a long way I'd say.

In all honesty, I've said from launch day that the PS3 will PROBABLY end up surpassing the 360 worldwide, if only by a little bit.

I hope I'm wrong, I want the 360 at number 1 (even though that wont happen), I think it's by far the best all round console.

JudgeN said:

*Cries for Valkyria*
I agree

PS3 performed very poorly for what it has for offer

A system with MGS4 an LBP (among others) should not sell less than 500k in november :(

X360 sold well

But 2kk for Wii is just... wtf

xbhaskarx

pseudocaesar said:
I do expect the 360 to smash the PS3 this holiday..in all honesty if they didnt double there would be something seriously wrong on MS behalf. That said, I think the spike will plummet, and 360 wont continue to sell. 2009 PS3 will receive a price cut, and then you will see all the fence sitters jumping aboard. I expect PS3 to double the 360 in 2009 after a price cut, and then overtake in 2010. The Playstation brand is the biggest in the gaming world, once it becomes cheaper it will absolutely skyrocket into epic sales.

People still believe this? :lol

Top Bottom