• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
xbhaskarx said:
People still believe this? :lol

Somebody please post that picture of the crazy stick figure drawing the PS3 line straight up. :lol

Link

The Autumn Wind
ZealousD said:
I'm not sure Wii will hit 2.7 million this month. Their current numbers are a result of Nintendo actually well stocked in late October and early November and then they all disappeared on Black Friday. Their shipment numbers right now are still higher than average but it seems like not quite as much as November.

Never know though. They could send another crazy ass shipment this month, but I think supply constraints are going to hold them back.
I'd guess they'll probably start sending out massive shipments starting next week, but yeah, I don't know if they're going to be able to hit 2.7 million.

Of course, none of us thought they'd come close to 2 million this month. Nintendo's math betrayed us all.

FrankT

TTG said:
Wasn't there also a PR piece from Bethesda that Fallout went over 4 million? I'm guessing both of them shipped a lot to retailers.

Mark Rein confirmed 3 million sell through last week not shipments. They would have had to ship quite a bit more than that by now. Totally different story compared to Fallout 3(compare first month US alone 1.6 million and 375k and you get the drift). Those were shipment figures. As had been stated, these numbers represent merely the US total for November not World Wide figures he quoted through the first week of Dec.

psuedoceasar said:
...2009 PS3 will receive a price cut, and then you will see all the fence sitters jumping aboard. I expect PS3 to double the 360 in 2009 after a price cut, and then overtake in 2010. The Playstation brand is the biggest in the gaming world, once it becomes cheaper it will absolutely skyrocket into epic sales.

:lol :lol :lol

B33

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
The PS3 is not dead, but Sony has lost this one significantly. They are in the worst position. Wii60 FTW.
They have plenty of brand recognition, but the price point is what is holding the console back.

On a side note, am I the only one that's never understood the whole "Wii60" phenomenon?

duk

Banned
Sony's response?

PlayStation by the Numbers
November 2008

PlayStation Brand Continues Strong Sales Momentum Into the Holiday Season; PS3 Hardware Sales Grow 60% Year-to-Date

Total PlayStation Hardware Unit Sales in November 2008 Top 1 Million

The PlayStation brand began the holiday season by posting solid sales at retail across its three platforms, with more than 1 million hardware units sold in November 2008, a 93% growth from the October 2008, according to NPD.

PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) has continued its strong momentum during the holiday season with 378,071 hardware units sold in November, representing an increase of almost 100% from October. From January to November 2008, more than 2.8 million PS3s have been sold in the U.S., representing a year-to-date hardware sales growth of more than 60%.

Fueled by an unmatched holiday line-up of blockbuster first and third-party titles, more that 3,552,456 software units were sold for PS3 in November, representing a year-to-date growth of 150%.

*Top-selling exclusive games for PS3 in November included hot titles for the hardcore gamer and family alike, from the pulse-pounding first-person shooter Resistance 2, to one of the best-rated games of the year, LittleBigPlanet.Third-party must-have titles -- including Activision’s Call of Duty: World at War, Midway Games’ Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, and Electronic Arts Sports’ Madden NFL 09 – rounded-out the best-selling games for the platform.

*In November, the PlayStation nation continued to turn to the PlayStation®Network for entertainment content, including: new PlayStation games such Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix and Age of Booty; original content such as Qore: Episode 5 and Xam’d: Lost Memories, Season 2; and new blockbuster additions to the video delivery service, including Hancock and Indiana Jones: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. There are currently more than 15 million registered PlayStation Network accounts worldwide.

PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) and the Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters PSP Entertainment Pack proved to be a popular choice for movies, games and entertainment content on-the-go in November, with 420,539 units sold. This represents an increase of 118% from October.

PlayStation®2 (PS2) and the LEGO Batman: The Videogame PS2 Entertainment Pack posted solid sales in November, with 205,944 hardware units sold, a 51% increase from the previous month.

Power of the PlayStation Portfolio

The PlayStation brand generated strong sales across all three platforms, earning $663 million in November.

*Year-to-date (Jan-Nov), the PlayStation brand generated more than 5 billion in revenue, representing an 11% growth year-to-date.
*PlayStation total hardware revenue was $261 million in November, representing a year-to-date growth of 9%.
*PlayStation total software revenue in November was $352 million, representing a year-to-date growth of 16%.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
rhfb said:
Here is hoping a good Wii game comes out soon. I haven't even turned it on in probably over 3 months.

pwnt nintendon't

oh wait this isn't one of the 2 thousand threads on the main page where people say "lol mah wii made me a million bucks just sellin all the dust it's been generating!!!! i'm a dust millionaire!!!! haven't played mah wii since twilight princess!!!!"

kiUNiT said:
We get it, you're hardcore dude.

You know what's funny.

I have 13 Wii games, and I think my Wii collects dust compared to the other 2.

Funny that. I'm in the WiiDust camp like others despite owning quite a few games for it compared to most.

I think some people are happy having a handful of games for their consoles I guess. I mean, I have 14 for the PS3 and I'm DESPARATE for more. So desparate I bought Mirror's Edge on the PS3 despite the 360 version looking 'better'.

Having said that, my 360 collection is too bloated. I have 35 games, and I still don't have Farcry 2, Fable 2 and Fallout 3. Og and Lips, I want Lips.

onipex

Azelover said:
Even if Microsoft was to take on this mission they're not as good at it as Nintendo, and would lose the fight quite easily. A lot of that has to do with the image they have carved for themselves, both MS and Nintendo.

Nintendo is now actually being able to touch people who were downright scared of gaming itself, they will not touch a console with the kind of fame the 360 has even now especially after they've got a Wii, not by a long shot.

They can try, which in my opinion they haven't even begun trying, but it's a definite challenge. It's just not in their established brand at all and odds are it would be incredibly difficult to go there considering how it is, especially with competition from Nintendo.

I agree with you about MS trying to get non-gamers. MS would have an uphill battle to try get them, but the casual gamers have always been around. MS is competing for them against Nintendo and Sony.

AndersTheSwede said:
I would have to disagree with this. Perhaps in the case of a parent going into Best Buy with just a general "I want to buy Jimmy a console" idea. But anyone personally plunking down hundreds of dollars for a gaming system (particularly these days) has answered to themselves "why?" and the answer for the Wii seems to be "party!". Well the 360 was never built around party games as a central part of it's business plan. They were unlikely to grab these kinds of consumers whether the Wii existed or not because they didn't establish it as a recognizable part of the consoles marketing from launch.

On the flip side, Gears or Halo increasing 360 hardware movement doesn't take away from the Wii as the Wii was never built around pushing these types high-tech intense core games. The Wii wouldn't have gotten those sales whether the 360 existed or not.

I just can't agree with you here. Wii GH sales takes away from the 360 since it sold best on the 360 before it was released on the Wii. As a business MS would love the 360 to sell the most with COD5 and GH just as Nintendo would love the same thing. If the Wii ever starts selling more software than 360 outside of GH and lego games than that would be taking more away from the 360.

Using Gears or Halo is not a good example ,because those games are only on the 360. Now what is mommy goes into the game store to buy a console so her child can play lego star wars or GH. She can choose between a $199 console or a $250 console. The console she selects will get more hardware and software sold and the other one lost a sale. The same could be said for PC gamer looking to buy a console for COD5 and is trying to decided between HD and motion controls.

Jonsoncao

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
(quotes)

So "xbots" is now "xfags"? he's getting desperate. :lol
hardcore fans like me are calling themselves "xbots", like "proudly an XBOT since E3 2005", so they r seeking some more insulting terms now while claiming to be hurt by the term "butthurt"

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
duk said:
Lol, cute.

It's sad really, I want to see the PS3 succeed because I feel sorry for all the internal developers and developers like Naughty Dog, Media Molecule and Insomniac. They deserve as big an audience as possible. :(

ZealousD

B33 said:
On a side note, am I the only one that's never understood the whole "Wii60" phenomenon?

Started with Peter Moore actually. Back when the PS3 was $600 he said you could buy a $400 360 Pro and a $250 Wii for not much more than the price of a PS3. That still holds today.

B33

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
You know what's funny.

I have 13 Wii games, and I think my Wii collects dust compared to the other 2.

Funny that. I'm in the WiiDust camp like others despite owning quite a few games for it compared to most.
The Wii console I owned is collecting dust...

At the expense of another owner.

Glad I sold it when I did.

Link

The Autumn Wind
B33 said:

Perhaps the new owner actually keeps his house clean.

sazzy

So I was thinking about the logistics of distributing 2.04 million units of a product across the US (supply chain management interests me).

An average 16 wheeler with a length of ~75ft, max. load (not counting the truck's weight) can carry 40,000lbs. Each Wii weighs 7.5 lbs.

This amounts to ~383 trucks, and end to end would form a line of ~2.4km or ~4miles.

Just something interesting.

phez

Banned
Yes Boss! said:
Wow.

So awesome that Wii Music charted. Another bona fide hit from nintendo and further proof that GAF still does not understand how (even) first party games sell on the Wii.

wat

sazzy said:
So I was thinking about the logistics of distributing 2.04 million units of a product across the US (supply chain management interests me).

An average 16 wheeler with a length of ~75ft, max. load (not counting the truck's weight) can carry 40,000lbs. Each Wii weighs 7.5 lbs.

This amounts to ~383 trucks, and end to end would form a line of ~2.4km or ~4miles.

Nice visual.

I'm trying to look at this from all angles, but can someone explain how this is NOT an absolute fucking travesty:

1) Wii play is the best-selling game of all-time
2) Wii music topped Little Big Planet in sales

I've been looking at this from the perspective of someone who enjoys quality games, so maybe I need a paradigm shift?

ZealousD

sazzy said:

GameStop actually gets its shipment via UPS.

Trying doing the math in UPS trucks. =)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
sazzy said:

how many wiis does it take to fill the royal albert hall?

B33 said:

I've noticed all my consoles tend to collect dust.

Moreso as a product of that being a natural occurrence, rather than any indication of how often their played.

But hey, that's just me.

MercuryLS

Banned
HAL_Laboratory said:
Don't understand this. I can't go a day without playing a few rounds of Mario Kart, Smash or Tetris online.

Your GAF Handle is Hal_Fucking_Labratory, you probably have a Nintendo altar that you spank to 3 times a day.

Most actual gamers barely turn on the thing cause Nintendo has almost abandoned us in order to get our mom's interested in waggle gaming.

donny2112

professor_t said:
I've been looking at this from the perspective of someone who enjoys quality games, so maybe I need a paradigm shift?

Try to look at it from a non-elitist perspective. Other people can enjoy games that you don't. I know it's tough. Just keep trying.

Brofist

professor_t said:
I'm trying to look at this from all angles, but can someone explain how this is NOT an absolute fucking travesty:

Well when you push 2 million systems in a month some software is bound to sell by default. Most people need a second controller so that explains Wii Play.

It's obvious that besides the price being too high that Sony is backing all of the wrong horses regarding the PS3. Little Big Planet, Home these were never destined to push PS3s into homes.

koam

professor_t said:

Look at it this way. Try selling a product to all of Canada. Now take a similar product and sell it to the USA. Which one do you think has a higher chance of selling more?

As much as a 360 fan as i am.... its pretty sad and strange to see the PS3's current state.. its just the complete opposite of what PS1 and PS2 was.. the last two sony consoles were creating so many new IP's on those past sony machines, just a constant steady flow of uber AAA games....but now, its the total opposite with PS3 and that baffles me to a high degree.

And im all for the PS3 succeeding... most of my best gaming memory's were from a PS1 and PS2 but those new franchises are just not being born on the sony systems like they once were..dont get me wrong, there are some nice sony exclusives but not nearly the amount we are use to seeing coming out for a sony game machine and its hard to grasp for me for some reason.

...i dont know, i dont think the PS3 is a total failure..infact its really not THAT BAD honestly...its doing enough to get by and make it worth while owning but im just use to so much more then this from a sony console.

Link

The Autumn Wind
professor_t said:

It mostly sells because almost everyone that buys a Wii is going to want a second controller, and if you can get one with a game for only $10 more, then why not? Don't let it bother you too much.

MercuryLS said:
Most actual gamers barely turn on the thing cause Nintendo has almost abandoned us in order to get our mom's interested in waggle gaming.
baby-crying%20jpg.jpg

sazzy said:

How many trucks would it take to reach from the ground to outer space (50 miles)?

Tiktaalik said:
The videogame industry is finally mainstream and now we're now all elitists.

We're like foreign film fans that wonder why garbage like Wild Hogs makes $168 million dollars.

No. No you're not. You people are praising fucking Gears of War and Call of Duty - computerized versions of GI-Joe with blood and foul language. You can shit on Wii Fit all you like, but don't pretend your action figures are Michelangelo sculptures.

I know this post is old btw, but it was so ridiculous I had to say something. Jesus Christ.

WarLox

MercuryLS said:
Your GAF Handle is Hal_Fucking_Labratory, you probably have a Nintendo altar that you spank to 3 times a day.

i like the direction this is going in... continue.

B33

Banned
MercuryLS said:

You don't need any self respect or dignity when your console prints money.

ZealousD

MercuryLS said:

Obvious troll is obvious.

Mr.Potato Head said:
As much as a 360 fan as i am.... its pretty sad and strange to see the PS3's current state.. its just the complete opposite of what PS1 and PS2 was.. the last two sony consoles were creating so many new IP's on those past sony machines, just a constant steady flow of uber AAA games....but now, its the total opposite with PS3 and that baffles me to a high degree.

And im all for the PS3 succeeding... most of my best gaming memory's were from a PS1 and PS2 but those new franchises are just not being born on the sony systems like they once were..dont get me wrong, there are some nice sony exclusives but not nearly the amount we are use to seeing coming out for a sony game machine and its hard to grasp for me for some reason.

...i dont know, i dont think the PS3 is a total failure..infact its really not THAT BAD honestly...its doing enough to get by and make it worth while owning but im just use to so much more then this from a sony console.

$600 systems will do that.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Assuming a flying reindeer has 10 horsepower, how many reindeer would Santa's sleigh need to pull 2.04 million Wiis?

Link

The Autumn Wind
kame-sennin said:
No. No you're not. You people are praising fucking Gears of War and Call of Duty - computerized versions of GI-Joe with blood and foul language. You can shit on Wii Fit all you like, but don't pretend your action figures are Michelangelo sculptures.

I know this post is old btw, but it was so ridiculous I had to say something. Jesus Christ.
That was awesome.

And true.

tabsina

MercuryLS said:

So you don't play (potentially and subjectively) good games because a company tried (and succeeded) to expand its userbase?

I also play MK regularly, Smash less regularly, and galaxy quite often... i don't think my username has any affiliations with Nintendo though

Do you work for rockstar?

Top Bottom