• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Spike said:
I agree that they'll hurt themselves if they drop the price. But, if they don't they'll be hurting themselves even more. Look at the 800K+ sales of the 360, and the 2.04M sales of the Wii. If the PS3 had already dropped to $299, which is on par with 360 Pro, and only $50 more than Wii, they may have gotten some better sales. They might have stolen some of the sales from the other two consoles.

Or, maybe not. Maybe even with a price cut, the system would have failed to move enough units. We'll never know.

The more consoles Sony sells the more money they lose. Ironic, no?

justchris

Opiate said:
Post-launch, there have now been a handful of attempts at standard, third party FPS on the Wii, and they've all flopped horribly. This list includes Call of Duty 5, Quantum of Solace, Brothers in Arms, and Medal of Honor.

You can make excuses for all of them, but at some point the excuses wear thin. I agree that circumstances can at times cause a specific game to do less well than it "should" do. However, it becomes less of an unfortunate coincidence and more of a pattern when you talk about 4-5 games in a row bombing in a specific genre, particularly when some of these games sold millions on competing systems.

I actually wanted to discuss this. Except I wouldn't just comment on FPS games. I was going to say that I think a lot of developers are going to be unpleasantly surprised when they actually start trying to make serious Wii games. And the reason is, they're most likely going to end up trying to take franchises they've already popularized on competing consoles over to the Wii.

For each one of those games, there have either already been versions released for the 360 & PS3, or the 360 & PS3 versions released concurrently and got the lion's share of the advertising.

CoD:WaW is a prime example. CoD3 released on Wii, CoD4 did not, so in the eyes of the game buying public, CoD is a 360 or maybe a PS3 franchise, not a Wii franchise. Even if the Wii version was nearly the same feature-wise as the competing versions the majority of people would assume it wasn't, because they automatically assume the game is a 360 game and the Wii game must be an afterthought.

I think brand new ips, or ips that haven't shown up on any system yet this generation are going to have a better shot on the Wii. Which is why I would ascribe more meaning to how Shaun White does than I would to how CoD5 does.

Log4Girlz said:
Ok, now imagine Star Fox Adventures with a 50% more powerful graphics engine

But it doesn't.

Log4Girlz said:
I think it would match Conker. Shit, there are shots of Mario Galaxy that match Conker.

Yes I am aware of that (I own the game) but Super Mario Galaxy's graphics (as well as Conker's) were more so due to smart artistic design and texture working. I was just trying to point out that the average developer would be able to pull off those graphics without immense talent.

grandjedi6 said:
The more consoles Sony sells the more money they lose. Ironic, no?

But at the same time, the more consoles they sell, the more games get purchased, offsetting some of those losses.

I'm not saying its as simple as that, but it's obvious that Sony is going to need stronger software sales to profit this generation, which necessitates getting more hardware into people's houses.

Log4Girlz

Flying_Phoenix said:
But it doesn't.

Yes I am aware of that (I own the game) but Super Mario Galaxy's graphics (as well as Conker's) were more so due to smart artistic design and texture working. I was just trying to point out that the average developer would be able to pull off those graphics without immense talent.

Though it doesn't, in a round-about way, it shows that Wii is capable of Xbox level graphics, because the Wii is naturally more powerful than the Gamecube.

As for the second comment, matching conker or halo would be no great achievement or testiment to the units power. Wii already can match Xbox graphics on most levels, the Wii HD should be going well beyond that. Conker just shouldn't hold up very well against even a mediocre Wii game.

Shouldn't. Lord knows there will be tons of shovelware proving me wrong.

Log4Girlz

KuwabaraTheMan said:
But at the same time, the more consoles they sell, the more games get purchased, offsetting some of those losses.

I'm not saying its as simple as that, but it's obvious that Sony is going to need stronger software sales to profit this generation, which necessitates getting more hardware into people's houses.

Or putting out more software for people to snap up. They should be super productive.

Log4Girlz

Jirotrom said:
no... they wont.

Well, ya never know. Component costs will come down. They just have to marry a price cut (which will be affordable in the future) with a major AAA title. They can't just slash the price at random.

bmf said:
It will be a minor upgrade in 2012. Really. It will be. My thought is - what can they sell for $249 in 2012 and break even, and then I extrapolate from there.
Perfect. Couldn't have said it better (you know my stance on this).

Though I think the graphics tech will be pretty close to 360.

Jirotrom

Log4Girlz said:
Well, ya never know. Component costs will come down. They just have to marry a price cut (which will be affordable in the future) with a major AAA title. They can't just slash the price at random.
systems dont bounce back from a deficit like this, its too late. Mindshare has already been lost.

Log4Girlz said:
Though it doesn't, in a round-about way, it shows that Wii is capable of Xbox level graphics, because the Wii is naturally more powerful than the Gamecube.

As for the second comment, matching conker or halo would be no great achievement or testiment to the units power. Wii already can match Xbox graphics on most levels, the Wii HD should be going well beyond that. Conker just shouldn't hold up very well against even a mediocre Wii game.

Shouldn't. Lord knows there will be tons of shovelware proving me wrong.

Conker holds up well even against current generation powered games. But again that game solely used every breaking ounce of the Xbox's power since it was essentially a N64 game on the Xbox. Also the Wii can't do Halo 3's graphics. Basically I'm trying to say that I expect the Wii 2 to have enough graphical power to perfect a fair share of artstyles.

I guess to put into example I should list games in which the Wii has perfected their art-styles:

mad-world-1-wii_008.jpg

galaxy2.jpg

1363_0004.jpg

Other then a resolution increase is there anything that the Xbox 360 or PS3 can improve the graphics on in these games? Not really the art-styles they've chosen has been perfected. Basically this is what I expect from the Wii 2 only for much broader art-styles such as the ones I've listed. Because to me you can't really improve the graphics in those games do to their respectable art-styles.

Neo C.

Sony can't drop the price this year. When you don't have the money, you can't spend it (except you are GM). Hell, 16k poor souls have lost their job because Sony needs to make some cuts.

I've always assumed that their strategy of a expensive, state of the art console was a mistake. But I never imagined it was that horrible.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Wow. All I know is that I work in an older, non-gaming environment and all sorts of people still talk about getting Wiis. A lot of women who would never think of touching a console talk about getting a Wii. I go to family events and people are still playing Wii Sports. You have to hand it to Nintendo.

I can't believe the PS3 numbers. Ugh. WTF happened to this company?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Flying_Phoenix said:
Other then a resolution increase is there anything that the Xbox 360 or PS3 can improve the graphics on in these games? Not really the art-styles they've chosen has been perfected. Basically this is what I expect from the Wii 2 only for much broader art-styles such as the ones I've listed. Because to me you can't really improve the graphics in those games do to their respectable art-styles.

NO, DON'T!!!

Hero

Also where are all the haters who criticized Nintendo for 'only' having Animal Crossing and Wii Music as their holiday lineup?

In the top 10 we have Wii play which came out almost two years ago and Wii Fit and Mario Kart which came out more than six months ago. Nintendo titles have legs. The only companies who need holiday blockbuster games are companies that need those games to sell systems. As we can see clearly, Nintendo is having problem with supply and not demand.

Nocebo

Kuroyume said:
Yes... AI, scale, textures, shadows, lighting, anti aliasing, etc.
None of those things would matter for those games, except for maybe texture and anti aliasing. But they wouldn't make those games significantly better.
AI? :lol Scale? :lol You probably don't know what these games are about so you'll get a pass for now.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Musashi Wins! said:
I can't believe the PS3 numbers. Ugh. WTF happened to this company?

The same thing that happened to Nintendo when it was Sony's turn to emerge victorious, ironically enough. They became too proud of themselves being at the top of the crystal palace to notice that the market was changing directions beneath their feet.

The building has crumbled and Sony's face is down on the ground.

Kuroyume

Banned
Nocebo said:
None of those things would matter for those games, except for maybe texture and anti aliasing. But they wouldn't make those games significantly better.
AI? :lol Scale? :lol You probably don't know what these games are about so you'll get a pass for now.

Actually, I shouldn't have mentioned AI. The guy is talking about graphics. It doesn't matter whether you think they matter or not. It's a response to his post.

Firestorm

Flying_Phoenix said:
Conker holds up well even against current generation powered games. But again that game solely used every breaking ounce of the Xbox's power since it was essentially a N64 game on the Xbox. Also the Wii can't do Halo 3's graphics. Basically I'm trying to say that I expect the Wii 2 to have enough graphical power to perfect a fair share of artstyles.

I guess to put into example I should list games in which the Wii has perfected their art-styles:

]http://www.wiitalia.it/screenshots/albums/mad-world-1/mad-world-1-wii_008.jpg

http://img.hexus.net/v2/gaming/screenshots_wii/galaxy/galaxy2.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/6253/1363_0004.jpg

Problem is that they all start looking like shit on LCDTVs :( And yes, I'd say there are. I mean, cel-shading was doable on the PS2 and GCN, but nothing to the extent we see in Eternal Sonata or Tales of Vesperia.

Orbitcube said:
amidoinitrite?

EDIT: Dude... this guy has only made 2 posts, both of them GIFs relating to African Americans and KFC. Racist much?
It's from a joke account from this new site I found with a bunch of GAF exiles.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Firestorm said:
Problem is that they all start looking like shit on LCDTVs :( And yes, I'd say there are. I mean, cel-shading was doable on the PS2 and GCN, but nothing to the extent we see in Eternal Sonata or Tales of Vesperia.

The problem is that is the fault of the DISPLAY, not the game or the console.

cedric69

Hero said:
Also where are all the haters who criticized Nintendo for 'only' having Animal Crossing and Wii Music as their holiday lineup?
Probably playing games as that might be what they really care about?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
shykyoichi said:
I just remembered. Where is Chrono Trigger DS?

Tons of DS games never make it to the Top Ten, but do well enough. It should be between positions eleven and thirty, so don't fret too much.

Yes Boss! said:
That is true but the game-development tools and costs need to come down as well.
This is the one great piece of reasoning for Nintendo to keep their next console scaled back a bit.

Tools will come down in cost, but the development of highly detailed worlds will likely continue to be prohibitively expensive. Look at the beautiful 4-6 hour games that come and go on the HD systems this gen.

Nocebo

sionyboy said:
What was the previous November hardware sales record? I know DS posted the biggest numbers last year, but what about home consoles?
Not sure if it was the highest November sales but someone (One of the sales-sages) said PS2's best november was 1.3 million. Ps2's best December was 2.7 million.

Flying_Phoenix said:
I admit the game looks good for being a last generation game but Conker is just leagues ahead of it.
Conker ran at half the framerate, wasn't in widescreen, had load times while SFA had none, and came out 3 years after SFA. Who knows what Rare could have done with 3 more years with the GC or Wii.

Azrael said:
I know in my case, I'd like to pick VC up, but there are so many great games out there right now and not enough time for them all, that it's hard to justify picking up VC over another game when it lacks trophy support. Whether that's keeping other hardcore gamers away I don't know.

That's the equivalent of passing up dinner at a 4 star Chinese restaurant because it doesn't come with a fortune cookie. It's the best rpg Japan has produced in 2 years.

Top Bottom