• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

acm2000

tbh, the most shocking thing in this NPD is:

CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR* (360) 1.41 million
CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR (PS3) 597K

wasnt expecting such a huge gap between the two, considering both are pretty hardcore gamer machines

acm2000 said:

wasnt expecting such a huge gap between the two, considering both are pretty hardcore gamer machines

And in a month were the 360 had another 1.5m seller as well.

360 software sales are simply phenomenal

Jewbacca

Banned
Wow at the Wii I cant remember what my guess was but I didnt expect 2m. I was thinking 1.3 tops. Wii music? Ughh

PS3 was lackluster. NO big retailers had any awesome deals for black friday. Fucking pitiful. Blu-Ray players are in the 130-300 range now. Sony has a good chance of being fucked this Christmas.

Ydahs

YYZ said:
Dude, you forgot physics. Probably the most important one.

Einstein.jpg
Well, the physics in Super Mario Galaxy are very impressive!

I don't know if someone has already done this, but here's a simple load out on the npd numbers for the 360/ps3 this year.

PS3 in black and 360 in green
fezzhd.jpg

The 20 GB 360 dropped to $299 in mid-July I believe. The permanent 360 price drops occurred on September 7th (Arcade - $199 Pro - $299 Elite - $399)

Also the current totals by NPD numbers are
360 - 3,295,200 (for 2008)
PS3 - 2,818,800

The fall has been pretty hard on the ps3 after the 360's genius price cut, but I think in all the "lawlz" a lot of you have forgotten the strong year it had in comparison.

Going forward, it's pretty obvious that Sony is going to have to either choose limiting their losses, and trying to retain revenue by having a higher priced console, or they find some way to get their system down to $299 so it can actually compete.

It's likely that a $299 price point for the ps3 would hurt ridiculously, but who knows how software/blu ray sells would move with increased ps3 sales.

Finally, concerning the 360. We all seem to agree that price cuts would likely (and quickly) hurt sony's pocket, but why does everyone seem so confident that MS is not hurting from having to undercut their competition as they have? Is there some evidence that MS has been able to lower the manufacturing cost per system to balance their large price cuts?

Walshicus

Byakuya769 said:
Finally, concerning the 360. We all seem to agree that price cuts would likely (and quickly) hurt sony's pocket, but why does everyone seem so confident that MS is not hurting from having to undercut their competition as they have? Is there some evidence that MS has been able to lower the manufacturing cost per system to balance their large price cuts?
It was implied with the coinciding of price cuts and the Jasper board revision.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
1cesc said:
The highest console sales in a month is Dec 2002 when the PS2 sold 2.7 million.
The highest November sales were PS2's Nov 2002 total of 1.3 million.

Methinks the Wii will beat the December record this year.

Fenderputty said:
I would rather see Sony and MS join forces since it appears as though the HD market is a little saturated.

For how many months has the Wii outsold the 360 and PS3 combined? Anyone know?

I'm not a tech guy, but JASPER versions of 360 have arrived, all using smaller components.

Usually it's this optimization + economy of scale that drives the costs down. 360 is doing both right now. JASPER is the 4th or 5th (can't remember) 360 variant already.

Kyo

Stumpokapow said:
PS3 numbers are awful. Substantially down YOY despite major software launches.

What major launches? LBP was the only one and it was hard to tell how well it would do. You can't possibly be talking about Resistance 2 and MotorStorm Pacific Rift - sequels to games that people originally bought mostly just because nothing else was available. People who didn't buy the PS3 for Resistance 1 surely won't buy it just to play Resistance 2 now. That's the kind of stuff that should be built up in addition to the big hitters, not as a substitute for them. So where is GT5? Where is God of War III? Why couldn't they get Killzone 2 out in time for this holiday season? They can't seriously expect their machine to sell well when they still haven't managed to release some of their most eagerly anticipated titles more than two years after the system's launch.

Byakuya769 said:

The 360 is now 3 years old, the parts were designed even further out, the base model includes no hard drive and a $10 DVD drive. If they are losing money at $199 it wont be much plus unlike Sony they know X% of people with sign up for gold subscription and so on.

If it wasn't for RROD i'm sure the price would have been cut a lot sooner.

Hammer24

Banned
Hats off to...
...the Wii, shattering all kinds of sales records. Maybe Wii December=PS3 YTD? Amazing!
...Sony PR. Great job, considering how little there is to work with. I don´t know how anyone could have worded it any better.
...GAF for the usual hilarious thread. But I missed the really batshit insane posters like domokunrox, Hoffman, MikeB and the like.

bathala

Banned
acm2000 said:

pssst its called install base

AniHawk

Neo C. said:
Not sure if they can ship enough. It needs more than they have told us so far ("50%+ compared to last year").

They could hold the record for Nov+Dec combo though. The possibility of that is pretty high. Although I think Nintendo knows which months of the year absolutely need more hardware.

Last year, they shipped something like 2.5m for Nov/Dec. That would mean 1.75m are left for this December if they don't ship more.

Nocebo

Neo C. said:
Not sure if they can ship enough. It needs more than they have told us so far ("50%+ compared to last year").
I've been thinking about that too. Seems like a lot of that extra 50% went to costumers in November. How much could be left for december?

Hammer24 said:
Hats off to...
...the Wii, shattering all kinds of sales records. Maybe Wii December=PS3 YTD? Amazing!
...Sony PR. Great job, considering how little there is to work with. I don´t know how anyone could have worded it any better.
...GAF for the usual hilarious thread. But I missed the really batshit insane posters like domokunrox, Hoffman, MikeB and the like.
Wasn't domokunrox the one who threw a hissy fit about people predicting ps3 numbers lower than last year's november in the hw prediction thread? :lol I'd like to see his reaction to these numbers.

Nocebo

tahrikmili said:
Anyone have HW sales figures for Nov 07?
Can't find the original post so copying from a quote.
Minsc said:
Code:
Nov. 2007  | 2008  | % Increase / Decrease
Wii: 981K  | 2040K | 108%
NDS: 1530K | 1570K | 2.6%
360: 770K  | 836K  | 8.6%
PSP: 567K  | 421K  | -25.7%
PS3: 466K  | 378K  | -18.9%
PS2: 496K  | 206K  | -58.5%

Brashnir

did we ever get any software numbers outside the top 10? I'm not wading through 30 pages of OMG2Million and fan-baiting to find out.

Fredescu

Brashnir said:
did we ever get any software numbers outside the top 10? I'm not wading through 30 pages of OMG2Million and fan-baiting to find out.
I think the only extra one so far was from the MS PR: another 200k+ for Fable 2, taking it to 970k or so.

Brashnir

M°°nblade said:
What are current USA install bases then according to NPD?

according to Captain Smoker on page 2:

Hardware LTD's:
PS2: 42.948.000
NDS: 24.463.000
WII: 15.391.000
PSP: 13.227.000
360: 12.449.000
PS3: 6.062.000

Nocebo said:
Can't find the original post so copying from a quote.

Wow, so basically PS3 sold almost half of what the 360 did last year at a similar price point?

Sad and funny at the same time.

Back to the drawing board Sony. The 10 year plan seems to have PHAILed.

Hero said:
Also where are all the haters who criticized Nintendo for 'only' having Animal Crossing and Wii Music as their holiday lineup?

In the top 10 we have Wii play which came out almost two years ago and Wii Fit and Mario Kart which came out more than six months ago. Nintendo titles have legs. The only companies who need holiday blockbuster games are companies that need those games to sell systems. As we can see clearly, Nintendo is having problem with supply and not demand.

You really can't be dense enough to think people criticize Nintendo for their holiday lineup because of its effect on sales. Just in case you are, people criticize because they want something to play on it. Not because Nintendo isn't going to sell out without them. I don't think it's too ridiculous to want games you're interested in, regardless of whether the company will do fine with or without them. So yes, they only have Animal Crossing and Wii Music as their holiday lineup and it sucks. Good for them that they can do so great without more games, but how does that change wanting more core games?

Mantorok

So let me get this straight - what you're saying is, the Nintendo Wii has managed to sell a 10th of the GameCube's WORLDWIDE sales, in 1 month, in 1 territory?

Oh, fucking, my. Bordering on ridiculous now.

Don't they release NPD info on releases beyond top 10 at some point? I could have swore that a "more detailed" NPD info pack gets released a short time after the initial stuff...

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
tahrikmili said:
Back to the drawing board Sony. The 10 year plan seems to have PHAILed.

While this definitely has to be disturbing for Sony, there's no reason to say that "the 10 year plan seems to have PHAILed." If they really are aiming at a 10 year cycle for the PS3 as a priority, then of course they can suffer through the first half of that and hope to make up for it during the second half.

On another note, I can't believe that, excluding DS, the Wii sold more than every other console COMBINED this month. That is unbelievable.

Metaphoreus said:
While this definitely has to be disturbing for Sony, there's no reason to say that "the 10 year plan seems to have PHAILed." If they really are aiming at a 10 year cycle for the PS3 as a priority, then of course they can suffer through the first half of that and hope to make up for it during the second half.

On another note, I can't believe that, excluding DS, the Wii sold more than every other console COMBINED this month. That is unbelievable.
A console with only marginal sales and marketshare like the PS3 has no chance of having a 10 year lifespan. That is just Sony PR-speak..pie in the sky wishful thinking.

stalker

Mantorok said:
So let me get this straight - what you're saying is, the Nintendo Wii has managed to sell a 10th of the GameCube's WORLDWIDE sales, in 1 month, in 1 territory?

Oh, fucking, my. Bordering on ridiculous now.

And think that some Nintendo "fanatics" like me bought several GCs (I have 5) and no Wii (yet) ;-)

The Wii sales are really impressive, but these numbers also put into perspective to what extent the Gamecube was a massive commercial failure for a company like Nintendo (thoguh they still managed to make money!)

cr_blah_blah said:
You really can't be dense enough to think people criticize Nintendo for their holiday lineup because of its effect on sales. Just in case you are, people criticize because they want something to play on it. Not because Nintendo isn't going to sell out without them. I don't think it's too ridiculous to want games you're interested in, regardless of whether the company will do fine with or without them. So yes, they only have Animal Crossing and Wii Music as their holiday lineup and it sucks. Good for them that they can do so great without more games, but how does that change wanting more core games?
No the funniest part is they're doing better without anything amazing out that's new. It's still running off of launch hype. :lol

I'm not entirely sure what Nintendo did this generation (I have a few ideas) but this is madness!

Oh, I also just bought Assassin's Creed. I really like this game. The mechanics are sound, but the missions do get repetitive. It's more then I was expecting though.

Chrange

Banned
Kyo said:
What major launches? LBP was the only one and it was hard to tell how well it would do. You can't possibly be talking about Resistance 2 and MotorStorm Pacific Rift - sequels to games that people originally bought mostly just because nothing else was available. People who didn't buy the PS3 for Resistance 1 surely won't buy it just to play Resistance 2 now. That's the kind of stuff that should be built up in addition to the big hitters, not as a substitute for them. So where is GT5? Where is God of War III? Why couldn't they get Killzone 2 out in time for this holiday season? They can't seriously expect their machine to sell well when they still haven't managed to release some of their most eagerly anticipated titles more than two years after the system's launch.

Year over year?

Even if you dismiss Motorstorm and Resistance sequels...Metal Gear Solid 4? Grand Theft Auto 4?

What the fuck?

Barrett2

What frightens me is the thought that a lot of software Devs will truly start diverting their resources to develop for the Wii, doing less work on PS3 / 360. When the Wii has such a drastically higher install base, why would you not?

Mantorok

lawblob said:
What frightens me is the thought that a lot of software Devs will truly start diverting their resources to develop for the Wii, doing less work on PS3 / 360. When the Wii has such a drastically higher install base, why would you not?

Because some thick-headed devs are convinced that Wiis userbase is grannys, grandads and kids and therefore couldn't possibly pick up a high-budget hardcore game...

Hammer24

Banned
lawblob said:

Its hard to predict. If you would divert your resources to Wii production - where would you aim it at? A party game? A sports game? What is a sure fire thing on the Wii? That might be hard to judge.
On the other hand, if you are a PC developer, just do a push-the-button-port to the 360. The userbase eats it up anyways. And don´t bother porting to the PS3 if you don´t have a big marteking push behind it. It might not be worth the investment.

Nocebo

lawblob said:
Don't worry. I think the wii is too confusing for many western devs.

andthebeatgoeson

Coolio McAwesome said:
Granted, Nintendo didn't have any high profile core titles out for Christmas but, since the launch of the Wii, Nintendo fanboys have gotten Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Fire Emblem, Smash Bros., and Mario Kart. That's a lot of high profile titles in a relatively short period of time. I honestly don't know anyone can honestly suggest that Nintendo has abandoned the core fans.
I checked a few months ago and they had about 20 titles in 18 months or something. If anybody is a Nintendo 'fanboy', then they aren't hurting for content. Yes, they probably aren't buying 3 games a month but you can't be a Nintendo 'Fanboy' and not have seen that coming. It's been 3 generations of Nintendo output. Nintendo can't do more. If you want more games, you have to depend on handhelds and other systems.

Even w/o the hardcore games, you still have a lot of content. And many people are raving about the A level, B level and C level games. And I would argue that just because MS can get a million people to buy their game of the month, it doesn't improve the quality of their selection. That's always a funny slant to these number wrenching. The unspoken thought that 1.5 million people can buy Gears 2 or COD and they are good to great (playing COD, I can say it's suprisingly mediocre) but the throngs of people enjoying Wii are just picking up casual trash. COD is casual trash. Fun but nowhere near great. Can we seriously pick up a stick against Wii and not pick up a stick against COD? It's passable but not a great game. Is it just the casual hardcore demographic?

Barrett2

Hammer24 said:
Its hard to predict. If you would divert your resources to Wii production - where would you aim it at? A party game? A sports game? What is a sure fire thing on the Wii? That might be hard to judge.
On the other hand, if you are a PC developer, just do a push-the-button-port to the 360. The userbase eats it up anyways. And don´t bother porting to the PS3 if you don´t have a big marteking push behind it. It might not be worth the investment.

Yeah, and obviously the 360 and PS3 still have high enough user bases themselves to support tons of unique development, but it just seems like we might be getting to the tipping point with the Wii where there are so many consoles out there that you have a higher chance of breaking even with Wii development than you would with 360/PS3 development. You can develop games for probably half the cost, and only need to attract a much smaller % of install base.

The investment risk of Wii development is (I would imagine) very low; and in these economic times, devs and publishers will become extremely risk-averse.

AniHawk

lawblob said:

Western publishers won't really do this and western developers really hate the thing, so you're not gonna see them doing this. They don't really need to. It'd be smart from a business perspective, but the developers have to have some sort of drive to come up with good ideas for the thing.

Japan on the other hand, is already switching over. Sega's the biggest third-party supporter (I think part of this has to do with their success with the Gamecube last gen), followed by Square-Enix and Capcom. Namco's starting to give the system more attention too. They seem to not care so much about the power of the machine. Guess it makes sense with the DS leading the way over there.

big_z

lawblob said:

keep the 360 support going strong and divert most of the ps3 teams to wii.

question to ponder:

if the ps3 was sonys first console and they never had that massive ps2 fanbase to ride on and there was no blueray in the system do you think it would have sold?
imo i dont really think the market can handle or wants 3 systems.

Neo C.

Nocebo said:
I've been thinking about that too. Seems like a lot of that extra 50% went to costumers in November. How much could be left for december?
I think they'll ship far more than they want to admit: "Did we say 50% additional shipment? Sorry, it's actually double of the amount of last year."

Nocebo

lawblob said:
Yeah, and obviously the 360 and PS3 still have high enough user bases themselves to support tons of unique development, but it just seems like we might be getting to the tipping point with the Wii where there are so many consoles out there that you have a higher chance of breaking even with Wii development than you would with 360/PS3 development. You can develop games for probably half the cost, and only need to attract a much smaller % of install base.

The investment risk of Wii development is (I would imagine) very low; and in these economic times, devs and publishers will become extremely risk-averse.
Which reminds me. Does anyone have a clear picture of how western developers are supporting the NDS with software? Are there any that land in the top 10 for instance?

Neo C. said:
I think they'll ship far more than they want to admit: "Did we say 50% additional shipment? Sorry, it's actually double of the amount of last year."
:lol if there were ever a time to shatter ps2's record it is now. I doubt Wii will come close to 2 million in the years following.

Hammer24

Banned
lawblob said:

What you describe is shovelware production. Of course, the market leader always gets them, just due to the immense userbase.
But when we´re talking about high budget production, its still a bit early. The userbase on the Wii is very diverse, not as coherent as on PS360. Don´t forget, DQX is still a couple of years off, not too many cmpanies will risk a flop. Yet.

AniHawk

Nocebo said:
Which reminds me. Does anyone have a clear picture of how western developers are supporting the NDS with software? Are there any that land in the top 10 for instance?

Mostly it's UbiSoft Imagine games and licensed stuff like Hannah Montana. Drawn to Life was an exception where it was an original western game that the audience ate up.

lawblob said:

As has been stated, though, Wii games don't require as massive an investment in personnel bandwith. And with 360 software sales still barnshattering, there's clearly a market for HD game experiences. The one thing that could solidify quickly is a continuing lack of primary support and focus for and on the PS3. When the gap barely changes over the course of an entire year for massive game like CoD, especially when the whole year you've had people touting PS3's "victories" over 360 until a month or two ago, I don't think you'll see stuff like Fallout 3 only having, basically, the full game experience open to 360 and PC users going away any time soon. (Referring here to the Level Cap increase, only available through exclusive DLC, which will have a tremendous impact on the actual retail game itself for players.)

This, I think, is the core problem Sony faces. When you're dealing with a console at twice the price, you have twice the draw to gamers across the board. You need to have better experiences, you need to be the "go to" console for HD gaming, and right now it's just hard to prove that.

And lets say Sony does turn that around eventually, just numbers-wise we're looking at potentially the 360 opening up a 1.4 million unit gain in just two months. The userbase disparity combined with MS' seemingly limitless reservoir of cash to dole out for exclusive stuff is a tough mountain to climb in the best of times. Add to that the current economic climate and Sony seemingly has a tremendously uphill battle.

Top Bottom