• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

dyls

I thought the 360 numbers would be higher; the Arcades especially really seemed to be flying off the shelves (I got one). There were deals everywhere on and around Black Friday. Perhaps there were some shortages, as I saw a lot of empty shelves where Arcades had been.

It will be interesting to see what the sales level off at next year. At this point, MS has pretty much made all of their big moves, haven't they? Halo, GTA, GOW2, etc. have all been released, and they have gotten the console to mass market price at $199.

Other than a continually increasing catalog, what can they do in 2009 to boost sales and perhaps get more of the expanded audience in their pocket?

On the other hand, it's nothing short of incredible that Nintendo has been able to garner these kind of continued sales without any price drops, bundles, or additional colors. They really have their entire playbook open to them.

snatches said:
Will MS make a Wii type console next gen and throw away the core games base that has built its reputation and sales to where it is today? The effects of these numbers could be staggering for the industry.

1.5 million copies of Gears 2 and 1 million copies of Fable 2 in the last 2 months says no. Let alone Fallout 3, COD WaW, etc. There is a proven market for these games and flushing such an extremely profitable segment away makes no sense. MS is able to exploit this and will likely continue to do so in the future as Nintendo has next to no interest in exploiting it themselves.

Nintendo is trapped in perception and that perception is only getting worse now that they are after the more casual market. It is only solidifying the division between the perceived markets that the 360 and the Wii cater to.

snatches

JoshuaJSlone said:
I think the only other time I saw someone say something live (on television) that I immediately knew would be such a negative focus for a long time was when Howard Dean screamed.

I was there as a buyer and I can tell you my response was even less flattering. Blu Ray has killed the playstation.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
3. The PS3 just doesn't have any must-have titles exclusive to the console. "LittleBigPlanet" has generated decent buzz but isn't a game-changer, and neither is Sony's new virtual world "Home."

He clearly had to dig his ass to pull out a reason #3

CNN said:
Tell yourself the PS3 has superior graphics if it makes you feel better, but a $400 console with a mediocre game library simply cannot compete against an Xbox 360 priced at $200 in this economy.

Damn, that is harsh.

Dirtbag

TTP said:
He clearly had to dig his ass to pull out a reason #3
Yeah I thought that was a serious reach.
Ps3 needs a killer app like Wiiplay apparantly.

Warm Machine said:
The sales numbers do back his point up though.
Yeah they do, but I think the point should have been Sony hasn't found their system seller yet (Halo, Wiisports)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Warm Machine said:
The sales numbers do back his point up though.

Not really. He's is talking quality there, not sales. Those two things don't necessarily go hand in hand. He later states "mediocre game library", which is 100% bullshit.

Saying PS3 doesn't have "any must-have titles exclusive to the console" is a lie.

snatches

snap at cnn being a troll

:lol

bring out the banstick

from a mass market perspective (and an investors...more serious) this is true.

jjasper

The PS3's big bonus is its ability to double as a Blu-Ray player. Too bad no one seems to care about hi-def DVDs. The differences between Blu-Ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50".

That is completely untrue. A better thing to put here would be the fact that right now you can buy a blu ray player for $198.00 so it is no longer the cheapest way to get a blu ray player and $198+199= $399 again no advantage for PS3.

TTP said:
Not really. He's is talking quality there, not sales. Those two things don't necessarily go hand in hand. He later states "mediocre game library", which is 100% bullshit.

Saying PS3 doesn't have "any must-have titles exclusive to the console" is a lie.
maybe he doesn't share your opinion of what is a must have title.

TTP said:

Wow what's with mainstream media trolling the PS3 ? Getting the numbers wrong is one thing ...

EDIT: the article is actually from www.alleyinsider.com

The author also has this gem up as well:

Not Just The PS3: Sony's PSP Sales Stink Too (SNE)

Ranger X

There's alot of great exclusives on the PS3. It's quite on par with the 360 seriously.

The real problem is the price and now the reputation they got because of the price and the first year where there was hardly more than 5 great games.

The game stigma will follow the PS3, true or not, until the day the userbase gets big enough (aka more people realising there ARE great games). Until then, it's gonna be like the PSP, "a console with no games".

Kolgar

One of the biggest problems Sony has right now is that PS3 is simply redundant next to 360. Blu-ray hasn't caught fire yet and the hardware's other value-added features (which I really like) don't seem to matter. The game library hasn't differentiated itself and PlayStation has lost exclusivity to several big-name games.

Meanwhile, the 360 is delivering HD games like a motherhumper, with a robust online community component and at a significantly lower price. The Wii is creating its own massive market.

There's simply little room left for PS3.

flintstryker said:
maybe he doesn't share your opinion of what is a must have title.

yer if you aren't an MGS fan (an acquired taste) or not interested a platform level designer (I like the idea but know i'd give up after 2 hours, clearly a niche title), then why would you buy a PS3 over a 360 for games?

Last year 360 owners had Mass Effect and this year there is Fable 2, where are there no games of that ilk on Ps3?

Dirtbag

mr_bishiuk said:
yer if you aren't an MGS fan (an acquired taste) or not interested a platform level designer (I like the idea but know i'd give up after 2 hours, clearly a niche title), then why would you buy a PS3 over a 360 for games?

Last year 360 owners had Mass Effect and this year there is Fable 2, where are there no games of that ilk on Ps3?
And you can add to that a mainstream perception that the superior version of Madden is on 360 (last years 60fps vs 30fps), the exclusive GTA dlc (and heavy 360 branded advertising), and Halo... and you've just secured the American audience. Once the ball gets rolling, it just gets bigger and faster. The first 2 years of a console are so important.

Timed exclusives in the early console adoption days really helped MS as well, and lead to a feeling of more exclusive games for the 360 and created a 'me to' message from Sony when they'd finally land them 6+ months later.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Fady K said:
And not to troll or anything, but while you're at it can you tell me any Wii games that came out recently that are worth 2 million + sales, cause I havent bought a game in a while for mine and Id like to.

Either you're not aware of the software and the question is dumb because you have two hands, two eyes, and access to google... Actually, LET ME GOOGLE THAT FOR YOU

Or you are aware of the software and any response you get will be greeted with "lol dat gaem sux not worth shit i sold mah wii's dust bunnys to da dust factory and bought a house in da cayman's!!!! nublets!", in which case why did you ask?

For what it's worth, I've played maybe 100 games or so this year, and of those exactly 6 deserve 2 million sales in my most humble opinion--World of Goo, Fallout 3, Professor Layton, Final Fantasy IVr, Roogoo, and Ticket to Ride. Not a single one of those will achieve 2 million sales in the US. Fallout is the only one that has a chance at a million on a single-SKU basis

But I don't sit around saying "holy fuck why is everyone buying MGS4 oh my god the sky is falling why did Army of Two sell copies i can't believe people bought Guitar Hero World Tour who on earth is watching Four Christmases at the cinema how can kids like Twilight who on earth thought up the Honda Element why did my next door neighbour vote for the green party how does the guy next to me not notice that he didn't shave this morning!!!!!", because it's pretty easy to understand people's motivations if you don't start from the assumption that you have perfect taste and everyone else must be clinically deranged.

YYZ

Is the author fucking blind? You can see and hear clear differences between SD and HD on any set bigger than 30". Even more so if you're sitting close like on a computer monitor, wow.

That's not really gaming related. That little tidbit he pulled out from the deep nether regions. The other ones are common business sense.

Eteric Rice

The biggest difference between HD and SD games for me has always been the jaggies.

If they make a Wii that has AA that gets rid of that shit, I'll buy it instantly.

Other than that I've never really cared.

Gaborn

Y2Kev said:
You HAVE to be clinically deranged to go see Twilight.

I also understand people that go because they have the guarantee of sex afterward. It's still too high a price to pay though.

Dirtbag said:
And you can add to that a mainstream perception that the superior version of Madden is on 360 (last years 60fps vs 30fps), the exclusive GTA dlc (and heavy 360 branded advertising), and Halo... and you've just secured the American audience. Once the ball gets rolling, it just gets bigger and faster. The first 2 years of a console are so important.

Timed exclusives in the early console adoption days really helped MS as well, and lead to a feeling of more exclusive games for the 360 and created a 'me to' message from Sony when they'd finally land them 6+ months later.

Its Sony's own fault, they were arrogant (People will work 2 jobs to buy it, we can sell 5 million units without a game for it, etc, etc). Sony expected their PS2 exclusives to flow through to the PS3 and the only one that did was MGS. While Sony was busy talking about people wanting PS3 soo badly (remember their E3 video where they had bunch of people talking about how much they love/want the PS3?), MS went ahead, cemented their 3rd party relationships and got a lot of exclusive PS family titles (and titles that were literally associated with the PS brand) to also launch on the 360.

20081212topnpdnovembers.png

YYZ said:
Is the author fucking blind? You can see and hear clear differences between SD and HD on any set bigger than 30". Even more so if you're sitting close like on a computer monitor, wow.

That's not really gaming related. That little tidbit he pulled out from the deep nether regions. The other ones are common business sense.

seems like a lot of people are blind though, had one friend call me to see if he had his settings wrong cause "I just dont' see much of a difference from dvd".

TTP said:

I'm not going to talk quality as it obviously exists. The market doesn't agree that the library is strong enough to warrent a system purchase or consider the games must have in comparison to the two other machines available. Its one of those sucky situations where everyone who owns a game machine knows that X title should be getting better sales and pushing hardware but doesn't.

PSGames

Dirtbag said:
Wow even Cnn is getting in on the reporting

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/siliconalley/personal-tech/2008_12_sonys_ps3_a_sinking_ship_sales_plummet_sne.html

WOW...
Drop the price the second you can Sony, and drop it big.

The PS3's big bonus is its ability to double as a Blu-Ray player. Too bad no one seems to care about hi-def DVDs. The differences between Blu-Ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50".

I wish journalists would stop saying shit like this. What are they blind?

hokahey

Kolgar said:
One of the biggest problems Sony has right now is that PS3 is simply redundant next to 360. Blu-ray hasn't caught fire yet and the hardware's other value-added features (which I really like) don't seem to matter. The game library hasn't differentiated itself and PlayStation has lost exclusivity to several big-name games.

Meanwhile, the 360 is delivering HD games like a motherhumper, with a robust online community component and at a significantly lower price. The Wii is creating its own massive market.

There's simply little room left for PS3.

Nintendo was extremely smart in creating a new market. They knew there wasn't room for three in a horse power race, and we're seeing now that there isn't even room for two.

Gamecube 2 would have been a bigger failure than the first.

Instead PS3 gets to bring up the rear.

Linkified said:
What 9 hours after they've bought the product is really rather short considering that 9 hours is almost over 4 people in a household. 2hours and 15 mins isn't really alot ....:lol
Nah, Wii Play is a multiplayer game, so they all play together at the same time. Which is just one of the many reasons why the Wii is so successful! :D

Warm Machine said:
I'm not going to talk quality as it obviously exists. The market doesn't agree that the library is strong enough to warrent a system purchase or consider the games must have in comparison to the two other machines available. Its one of those sucky situations where everyone who owns a game machine knows that X title should be getting better sales and pushing hardware but doesn't.

The PS3 is still selling for more than the PS1 or PS2 launch price. At that price "hardware mover" is a stunningly high bar.

shpankey

not an idiot
Price is king. That's all there really is to it. If PS3's sold at $199 I personally think they'd sell just as many of those as the 360, if not more.

The Wii is its own thing, in its own realm, it cannot be touched. It's lightning in a bottle.

TJ Spyke

PSGames said:

I know. I have a 26 inch TV and I noticed a big difference between the DVD and Blu-ray versions of Cars. It depends on the movie though, I didn't notice any change between the DVD and Blu-ray versions of The Simpsons Movie.

bj00rn_

Banned
Byakuya769 said:
seems like a lot of people are blind though, had one friend call me to see if he had his settings wrong cause "I just dont' see much of a difference from dvd".

That's why I never recommend any HD hardware to normal people, I don't want to be responsible for them wasting their money on something they don't need.

karasu

mr_bishiuk said:

Because WRPG's are also an acquired taste?

Dirtbag

PSGames said:

While I think its an overstatement... I don't think its out of line to say that the differences between the jump to dvd and the jump to blu-ray are leagues apart.
And to most consumers, that kind of quality leap is expected when they are asked to buy a new player and pay for a more expensive disk. I think its a value problem more then anything with bluray... the feeling that DVD is good enough for the price.

And you can just look at the wii and it's runaway success to gauge mainstream priorities over HD

Gaborn

shpankey said:
Price is king. That's all there really is to it. If PS3's sold at $199 I personally think they'd sell just as many of those as the 360, if not more.

The Wii is its own thing, in its own realm, it cannot be touched. It's lightning in a bottle.

You're right, only because there is SUCH a sharp disparity. I mean, look at the Wii vs the 360 though. It doesn't matter that the 360 is cheaper, people want a Wii. If the PS3 was the same price as the 360 (which cannot happen, at least for a LONG time if ever) the market would be vastly different, because then it wouldn't factor in as a positive or negative and they could discuss features and software as moving hardware.

dyls said:
I thought the 360 numbers would be higher; the Arcades especially really seemed to be flying off the shelves (I got one). There were deals everywhere on and around Black Friday. Perhaps there were some shortages, as I saw a lot of empty shelves where Arcades had been.

PS2] 410K
[PS3] 450K
[PSP] 400K
[360] 860K
[NDS] 1480K
[WII] 1630K
by 24k?

liuelson

Surprised at the lack of other data, and general lack of analysis of given data.

Nintendo said:
In November alone, Nintendo represented 198 percent of industry growth over 2007.

What does that mean? Does that mean the rest of the industry experienced a loss YoY? Can we look at NPD 11/2007 to find out the scale of that loss?

Also, do we know the Black Friday week's sales numbers, and can we use that to estimate the weekly sales for the rest of November?

Sorry if I sound lazy, but I'm probably spoiled by all the good work that salesagers have done in the past.

Ranger X

Gaborn said:
You're right, only because there is SUCH a sharp disparity. I mean, look at the Wii vs the 360 though. It doesn't matter that the 360 is cheaper, people want a Wii. If the PS3 was the same price as the 360 (which cannot happen, at least for a LONG time if ever) the market would be vastly different, because then it wouldn't factor in as a positive or negative and they could discuss features and software as moving hardware.

This is explainable here though. The Wii is there since a certain time and got a certain reputation. Same for 360.
It's impossible for a 360 to sell like a Wii right now, right after it dropped in price precisely because of their respective reputation.

Counting out the reputation though, The Wii wouldn't be ahead this much if other consoles would have launch head to head with the same price. The scenery around here would be completely different.

Top Bottom