• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
jjasper said:
It really is awful. Right now you can barely even see the games they are showing on the main commercial.
Yeah sony need to give up on the "cool" advertising and just face the fact that Nintendo ( with their Italian plumber mascot) and Microsoft (the people who make office productivity software) have somehow stolen their hipness. Give up on playstation being some edgy, hip, urban, lifestyle brand and just show the games full screen, and let people know what is cool, interesting and different about them.

Well we know what Fable did and we know what the #10 game sold so we have a general ballpark for 11 thru 20 at least.

EDIT: Fallout numbers are interesting. 375k first month on 360. 200-250k second month on 360. Good but maybe not amazing. Then again it is on three platforms. And it will probably sell 100K for a few months still and continued DLC.

RpgN

BishopLamont said:
It's the best selling game called Valkyria Chronicles! Yippee!

Why do you have to give annoying comments sometimes?

VC is performing exactly like ToV in the first month. Considering VC is a new name, it did okay compared to other (s)Jrpgs. Hopefully it will have similar legs to ToV. Also, I heard lots of comments here about low prints, Sega might have done this deliberately.

RpgN said:
Why do you have to give annoying comments sometimes?

VC is performing exactly like ToV in the first month. Considering VC is a new name, it did okay compared to other (s)Jrpgs. Hopefully it will have similar legs to ToV. Also, I heard lots of comments here about low prints, Sega might have done this deliberately.
That's not fair, I gave the game more credit then Stump did. Why are you picking on me? :(

ultim8p00

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
sxyuxg.jpg

That makes me feel REALLY BAD for the PS3 actually.

Jammy

Banned
How the fuck does Rock Band on Wii do over 200,000 at this point?

It's neutered and was WAY late to the party... yet it's probably going to be the number one SKU soon. EA really dropped the ball on Rock Band 2 Wii.

soco

man my predictions on LBP were waaaaay off. i figured it'd have at least had a million copies by the end of the year. :\

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
lazybum131 said:
Gamespot's updated their November NPD article to include Top 11-20, no specific sales numbers though, just the rankings.
Rockband Wii at #13. I hope that is smart people buying it at reduced price for the instruments, and not people who just want that Rockband game and fail to realize that Rockband 2 (exists) comes out real soon.

RpgN

BishopLamont said:
That's not fair, I gave the game more credit then Stump did. Why are you picking on me? :(

Because I <3 you silly!

But really, sometimes I get the impression you enjoy to see good games underperforming on systems not made by nintendo. Give it a rest, from time to time, that humor of yours ;)

Sadist

Holy shit, Nintendo is really making money on Mario Kart this gen. Wii version in the top 10, and the DS version is in the top 20. And it's released in 2005. Really now Nintendo, that's insane.

And lol @ Rockband Wii.

jjasper

Sadist said:
And lol @ Rockband Wii.

I still don't understand how EA/harmonix dropped the ball so bad on Rock Band (and 2) for the Wii. If there is one 3rd party game that is made for the system and its audience it is Rock Band.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Jammy said:

It's neutered and was WAY late to the party... yet it's probably going to be the number one SKU soon. EA really dropped the ball on Rock Band 2 Wii.
The full band kit is only $100

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
jjasper said:
I still don't understand how EA/harmonix dropped the ball so bad on Rock Band (and 2) for the Wii. If there is one 3rd party game that is made for the system and its audience it is Rock Band.
Rock Band 2 was rushed out to combat GHWT's full band game and RB2 Wii was probably delayed to ensure GHWT instrument compatibility. But yeah, a late and gimped RB1 on Wii is easily one of the biggest blunders this gen.

Kusagari

Jammy said:

There was TONS of sales for Rock Band Wii on Black Friday. The full band bundle was 100 bucks at most places. Compare that to the extravagant prices of the full band bundle for WT and Rock Band 2.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
LBP = 141K

Wow. Selling that low in a month where sales should have exploded. I honestly wasn't expecting it to sell lower. What a shame, seems it's turned out to become the Littlebigplanet that couldn't.

Nizz

myDingling said:
You're beginning to wonder? I've been a staunch advocate for the failure of one console platform (preferably Sony) for quite some time now. I don't think anyone who doesn't make 100k+/year enjoys having to buy 3 Machines every 4-5 years. And if I had to choose one to go, I would easily choosen Sony. Good riddance.
This just saddens me right here. You don't have to buy all three consoles. If you choose to and you have the money, by all means, go for it. But you have choices. I only own a PS3 so I imagine there's plenty I'm missing. But then again, I'm happy with the games I'm getting for the PS3. Third parties for the most part make games multiplatform, so PS3 is getting a lot of the same titles 360 gets. And I'm excited for some of the titles coming in the new year. But that's the point, you have a choice...

Paznos

33k for VC??? wow :( well I did my part and I'm very glad I did it's one of the best games I've played this year. Everyone with a PS3 needs to own this game.

RpgN said:
Because I <3 you silly!

But really, sometimes I get the impression you enjoy to see good games underperforming on systems not made by nintendo. Give it a rest, from time to time, that humor of yours ;)
I joke because I care, my heart is broken inside.

Jammy

Banned
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts can be bought from Amazon for just $27 right now... and it's still only on the second page of bestsellers.

Either people were bored to death from the demo like I was, or the 360 userbase just really doesn't appreciate the absence of guns and abundance of colors.

liuelson

Nintendo said:
In November alone, Nintendo represented 198 percent of industry growth over 2007.

November 2007 NPD total industry revenue: $2.64 billion
November 2008 NPD total industry revenue: $2.91 billion
Total industry revenue growth: $270 million, or 10%
198% x $270 million = $534.6 million increase for Nintendo
Rest of industry = -$264.6 million decline for rest of industry

Note: Total industry revenue growth from 11/2006 to 11/2007: 50% (source)

Edit: any idea how this tracks with the 3rd holidays of previous generations?

poppabk said:
Rockband Wii at #13. I hope that is smart people buying it at reduced price for the instruments, and not people who just want that Rockband game and fail to realize that Rockband 2 (exists) comes out real soon.

Actually, it probably makes sense to delay Rockband 2 for the Wii and milk the existing Rockband sales for a little longer. Games for Wii have long tales am confirmed.

So we have:

Top20:
01.) 360 GEARS OF WAR 2* 1.560.000
02.) 360 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR* 1.410.000
03.) WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 796.000
04.) WII WII FIT 697.000
05.) WII MARIO KART 637.000
06.) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR 597.000
07.) WII GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* 475.000
08.) 360 LEFT 4 DEAD 410.000
09.) PS3 RESISTANCE 2* 385.000
10.) WII WII MUSIC 297.000
11.) WII ANIMAL CROSSING: CITY FOLK 184.000 - 297.000
12.) 360 FALLOUT 3 184.000 - 297.000
13.) WII ROCK BAND 184.000 - 297.000
14.) NDS POKEMON RANGER: SHADOWS OF ALMIA 184.000 - 297.000
15.) 360 GUITAR HERO: WORLD TOUR 184.000 - 297.000
16.) NDS MARIO KART DS 184.000 - 297.000
17.) PS2 GUITAR HERO: WORLD TOUR 184.000 - 297.000
18.) PS2 WWE SMACKDOWN VS. RAW 2009 184.000 - 297.000
19.) 360 FABLE 2 184.000
20.) 360 MADDEN NFL 09 141.000 - 184.000
---
xx.) PS3 LITTLE BIG PLANET 141.000
xx.) PS3 VALKYRIA CHRONICLES 33.000

markatisu

jjasper said:

How did they drop the ball on RB2?

When it comes out next week it will be 100% functional (with all features the HD ones have) and with the gimped RB1 now almost at 1mil (it was hovering around 500k in August and so its either almost to 1mil or well past it now) there was no reason to rush it out when its obvious the platform in its gimped form is selling in gangbusters

If anything EA left money on the table, so in that respect I can see partially your point

donny2112

Jammy said:
Either people were bored to death from the demo like I was, or the 360 userbase just really doesn't appreciate the absence of guns and abundance of colors.

Imagine if it had been released for the Wii this Fall. RARE and Nintendo are perfect for each other. It's too bad they're on different consoles, now. :(

Jammy

Banned
liuelson said:
November 2007 NPD total industry revenue: $2.64 billion
November 2008 NPD total industry revenue: $2.91 billion
Total industry revenue growth: $270 million, or 10%
198% x $270 million = $534.6 million increase for Nintendo
Rest of industry = -$264.6 million decline for rest of industry

Note: Total industry revenue growth from 11/2006 to 11/2007: 50% (source)

Actually, it probably makes sense to delay Rockband 2 for the Wii and milk the existing Rockband sales for a little longer. Games for Wii have long tales am confirmed.

That's really telling. The industry would be nothing without Nintendo. Not only would sales be in a huge YOY decline, but budgets would remain high and more and more companies like Midway, EA, etc. would be hit even harder.

Oblivion said:
Wow. Selling that low in a month where sales should have exploded. I honestly wasn't expecting it to sell lower. What a shame, seems it's turned out to become the Littlebigplanet that couldn't.

Seems like this game was hyped up way too early, and by the time it came out, the novelty wore off of the general public, and it didn't sell as much as they would have hoped. It is sad, because it is a good game.

This game needed a good bit of apple-style hype, with announcement a month before the game releases, getting everyone excited an raving mad to buy it.

[Nintex]

Jammy said:
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts can be bought from Amazon for just $27 right now... and it's still only on the second page of bestsellers.

It's RARE's terrible reputation among 'hardcore' gamers and their non-existence in 'casual' gamer groups. Nuts and Bolts ia amazing, but I think that Banjo XBLA has sold more.

[Nintex] said:
It's RARE's terrible reputation among 'hardcore' gamers and their non-existence in 'casual' gamer groups. Nuts and Bolts ia amazing, but I think that Banjo XBLA has sold more.

The problem is they are still making games as if the market was a decade ago. Even if they are good games the market simply isn't at that place anymore.

Cheech

Captain Smoker said:
LBP and Valkyria :(

Didn't play LBP that much but Valkyria is really good and it has Vyse! D;

Is it a sequel to Skies of Arcadia? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question, but I'm way behind on my JRPG news.

knitoe

[Nintex] said:
If it was a regular 3D Banjo platform action game, I would have bought it. Don't want Nuts and Bolts.

Top Bottom