• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

Paracelsus

icecream said:
Both the 360 and PS3 seem only capable of selling around 100K for their top J-RPG titles over there too.

So you do already know WKC sales?

The only other example is Valkyria Chronicles, which isn't really your usual rpg (and it still is a srpg, even more of a niche).

Kusagari

360 is 360 in Japan. The only big RPGs on PS3 so far this gen in Japan have been niche like Valkyria Chronicles and Disgaea. Wait until WKC and Star Ocean before saying Japan isn't buying next gen RPGs.

Dark FaZe said:
Teams are going to have to get used to making higher budget games anyway. In the short run they will make money off of Wii due to lower dev costs, but they are only delaying the inevitable. Nintendos next console will likely be HD and have tech in the range of PS3/360, so there is a certain point where these companies have to get with the times. They aren't going to be able to live off of 480p forever.
High budget doesn't necessarily mean HD. They can make a high budget Wii game now, and next-gen they can start their HD ventures then.

kmfdmpig

Loudninja said:

From the article:
"November's weaker showing dropped the title out of the top 20 across all consoles. Across all PlayStation 3 software in November, though, LittleBigPlanet was ranked fourth behind Activision's Call of Duty: World at War, Sony's own Resistance 2, and Midway's brawler, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. "

That's a steeper drop than I would have guessed. I'm sure its fans will not be thrilled that Mortal Kombat beat it.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
AniHawk said:
So that puts the game at around 400k-500k now? That's pretty good, especially for a new IP on the PS3 (Uncharted was a bigger "bomb" IIRC). And especially for this kind of new IP on the PS3. Also, the night is darkest just before the dawn. And as they say, the dawn is coming unless some maniac clown horribly disfigures you and makes you go on a rampage against those that wronged you.

Its around 350k. (Im only counting US of course)

RpgN

icecream said:
What about it? Both the 360 and PS3 seem only capable of selling around 100K for their top J-RPG titles over there too. It doesn't seem to make a difference there either.

And VC sold 150k there.

Stoney Mason, you have a point. I don't know many RPGs that are popular in the US except for FF, KH, Star Ocean 3 and maybe Tales of Symphonia?

EDIT

And LO recently too.

botticus

Captain Smoker said:
So we have:

Top20:
01.) 360 GEARS OF WAR 2* 1.560.000
02.) 360 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR* 1.410.000
03.) WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 796.000
04.) WII WII FIT 697.000
05.) WII MARIO KART 637.000
06.) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR 597.000
07.) WII GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* 475.000
08.) 360 LEFT 4 DEAD 410.000
09.) PS3 RESISTANCE 2* 385.000
10.) WII WII MUSIC 297.000
11.) WII ANIMAL CROSSING: CITY FOLK 184.000 - 297.000
12.) 360 FALLOUT 3 184.000 - 297.000
13.) WII ROCK BAND 184.000 - 297.000
14.) NDS POKEMON RANGER: SHADOWS OF ALMIA 184.000 - 297.000
15.) 360 GUITAR HERO: WORLD TOUR 184.000 - 297.000
16.) NDS MARIO KART DS 184.000 - 297.000
17.) PS2 GUITAR HERO: WORLD TOUR 184.000 - 297.000
18.) PS2 WWE SMACKDOWN VS. RAW 2009 184.000 - 297.000
19.) 360 FABLE 2 184.000
20.) 360 MADDEN NFL 09 141.000 - 184.000
---
xx.) PS3 LITTLE BIG PLANET 141.000
xx.) PS3 VALKYRIA CHRONICLES 33.000
Also, PS3 MK vs. DC is between 141k and 184k (sold more than LBP per Gamasutra).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So Tomb Raider is a gigantic failure looks like even though the last one was very successful. Very strange. Eidos is going down for sure within the next few months unless someone buys them.

Stoney Mason, you have a point. I don't know many RPGs that are popular in the US except for FF, KH, Star Ocean 3 and maybe Tales of Symphonia?

I think Sega has very realistic expectations for VC. I didn't expect 33k at all though.

2009 is going to be a really horrific year for a number of publishers. Eidos, THQ, and Midway will probably go bankrupt, Atari is probably teetering on the edge financially, who knows how healthy 2K is, and EA could be a disney property within months.

The gaming landscape is going to change hugely within the next 12 months.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Stoney Mason said:
It was related to who controlled the market. Not a reflection of a Sony bias.
You must have missed the bitter tears across the internet for FFXIII and SO4.

RpgN said:
And VC sold 150k there.
120K actually, according to famitsu. But that's just splitting hairs.

Pracelsus said:
So you do already know WKC sales?
If you would like to wait a few more weeks before having this discussion again, fine. But more than likely you're just delaying the inevitable.

The JRPG userbase worldwide has long since fragmented this generation, and developers who don't realize that will just reap the same results as their predecessors.

AniHawk

BishopLamont said:
Really dude? REALLY? :lol

It's gonna sell even more in December and wind up around or above 500k before the year is done. No, it's not bad. Definitely not what Sony hoped for, but it didn't do bad like Banjo-Kazooie.

TJ Spyke

Captain Smoker said:
So we have:

Top20:

Um, yeah. I doubt 8 games managed to not only have the same amount of sales in October, but to do it again in November.

Salazar

Y2Kev said:
So Tomb Raider is a gigantic failure looks like even though the last one was very successful. Very strange. Eidos is going down for sure within the next few months unless someone buys them.

Thief 4 needs to get made.

kmfdmpig said:
From the article:
"November's weaker showing dropped the title out of the top 20 across all consoles. Across all PlayStation 3 software in November, though, LittleBigPlanet was ranked fourth behind Activision's Call of Duty: World at War, Sony's own Resistance 2, and Midway's brawler, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. "

That's a steeper drop than I would have guessed. I'm sure its fans will not be thrilled that Mortal Kombat beat it.
Thx, I've added Mortal Kombat:

Top20:
01.) 360 GEARS OF WAR 2* 1.560.000
02.) 360 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR* 1.410.000
03.) WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 796.000
04.) WII WII FIT 697.000
05.) WII MARIO KART 637.000
06.) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR 597.000
07.) WII GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* 475.000
08.) 360 LEFT 4 DEAD 410.000
09.) PS3 RESISTANCE 2* 385.000
10.) WII WII MUSIC 297.000
19.) 360 FABLE 2 184.000
20.) 360 MADDEN NFL 09 141.000 - 184.000
---
xx.) PS3 MORTAL KOMBAT VS. DC UNIVERSE 141.000 - 184.000
xx.) PS3 LITTLE BIG PLANET 141.000
xx.) PS3 VALKYRIA CHRONICLES 33.000

soldat7

BishopLamont said:
High budget doesn't necessarily mean HD. They can make a high budget Wii game now, and next-gen they can start their HD ventures then.

And what would motivate a third-party pub to bankroll a "high-budget" Wii game? Then again, there are so many failing "high-budget" games on 360/PS3...developers and publishers are in a mighty fine pickle right now.

AniHawk said:
It's gonna sell even more in December and wind up around or above 500k before the year is done. No, it's not bad. Definitely not what Sony hoped for, but it didn't do bad like Banjo-Kazooie.
I know, I was only poking fun at you.

soldat7 said:
And what would motivate a third-party pub to bankroll a "high-budget" Wii game? Then again, there are so many failing "high-budget" games on 360/PS3; developers and publishers are in a mighty fine pickle right now.
Userbase, money, economy, love? Many reasons.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
poppabk said:
I'm talking about using a lower end PC as a replacement for the 360 as the client/extender.
So one server PC and multiple client PC's networked however you want.
If you never deal with awkward codecs and never want blu-ray drives on your clients and don't want to go wireless, are not worried about DRM, and don't want to control post processing on your output then it is probably cheaper and easier using the 360, but there are several reasons why someone would choose a PC over a 360 as a client.
A lot of motherboards have integrated graphics sufficient for 1080p and have HDMI out just for the record.

Find me a vista media extender client for windows and I'm there

Gaborn

TJ Spyke said:
Um, yeah. I doubt 8 games managed to not only have the same amount of sales in October, but to do it again in November.

It's not saying they sold the same amount, it's saying the titles sold within that range (it is a range you'll note) and it lists the known ordinal rankings.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Chrange said:
For the "most important game" in their holiday lineup? Yeah...that's not good.
It's still probably selling the best of all their games (excepting maybe R2, but who knows how that will last in the long-term). Sony's entire lineup just sucks.

TJ Spyke said:
?

The Chart says 184.000 - 297.000, the actual number should be somewhere between these numbers, 184.000 is the minimum, 297.000 the maximum. :)

Busaiku

icecream said:
Wasn't the original JRPG argument the assumption that all JRPG fans are loyal to the Sony brand and will follow the system and support its original games?

Can we now all admit the genre just isn't strong as it used to be in the US and realize the choice of platform doesn't matter anymore?
VC got an entire month of sales, while ToV got a week.
I don't think it's an apt comparison just yet, ToV went on to sell similar numbers over the next month (I think the LTD through September was 74k, though I'm not quite sure).

And there's also the case of Wii, where I believe it was stated that FE sold more than its GC counterpart. Though I hadn't seen acutal numbers, just various posts, so I'm not sure.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Busaiku said:
VC got an entire month of sales, while ToV got a week.
I don't think it's an apt comparison just yet, ToV went on to sell similar numbers over the next month (I think the LTD through September was 74k, though I'm not quite sure).
If VC does similar numbers next month, wouldn't that still put it in line with ToV?

onipex

cw_sasuke said:
Last Remnant, Banjo, Mirrors Edge etc. many high budget Games are bombing - if those games were on wii, with the same results ppl here would go crazy and convinced that it`s because those kind of game can`t sell on wii.

btw. Next bomba in Dec NPD will be probably Prince of Persia....

When high dev cost can cause you to go under after one or two bombs you better make those type of games sell on Wii. In fact you better make them sell on the 360 and PS3 too. These companies need to learn from the mistakes of Majesco ( as well as others) and realize that somethings it takes more than a good game to get good sales.

desh

TJ Spyke said:

He's giving a range of units sold, ie, all games between Wii Music and Fable 2 sold between 297,000 and 184,000 units.

Yes Boss!

AniHawk said:

Okay, so it's selling around Wii Music levels, but it's still not bad.

Seems decent for a new IP. But damn, Sony really should have packed LBP in with the new 80GB for $399. I'm positive it would have pushed systems. That Uncharted pack is a total joke.

Still, LBP is my GOTY and it should do decent after all three territories are added up.

charlequin said:
2009 is going to be a bloodbath. A lot of publishers are going to find themselves in some deep, deep shit.

Yeah, gonna be a lot of friction next year, for sure.

Busaiku

icecream said:
If VC does similar numbers next month, wouldn't that still put it in line with ToV?
I actually quoted your post by mistake (it was meant for the person you quoted).

Also, ToV's numbers show that it's not necessarily down from last gen.
I believe TotA pulled up similar numbers on the PS2 in the US. ToS was the only major success.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Busaiku said:
I actually quoted your post by mistake
No worries.

I believe TotA pulled up similar numbers on the PS2 in the US. ToS was the only major success.
The problem is ToS has become the standard of measure for Tales games. And in the case of ToV, Namco was desperately hoping for such numbers in the US, much more so than Abyss.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
MisterHero said:
If it weren't for Nintendo rejecting MS' buyout and their earlier mutual backstabbing with Sony neither of them would be in the industry, so it would only be fitting that Nintendo show them how it's done.
and potentially drive them out
:lol

Sure, competition is nice and I really don't loathe MS/Sony anymore, but they were/are promoting trends that are unhealthy for the industry (high production costs/waiting to break even for profit/making themselves vulnerable to the recession/etc.), and no one is paying for it more than themselves.

Competition this gen/late last gen was so great that companies were merging/buying each other out because they knew that individually they weren't going to endure AAA-production costs due to the inflated expectations of HD and 'hardcore' gamers with the advent of these high-powered machines. It was that awesome.

Sure as a gamer you can remain ignorant of their failings but this is the internet, where we can state these concerns. Nintendo has some failings as well, but they aren't the degree of trouble Sony is. MS fared a bit better having sold more than Xbox1, so they aren't in much trouble either.

The failings of Nintendo this gen, more than any previous gen (although they were heading in this direction), is that they've ceased to create games that I and the majority of my friends want to play on the Wii.

chespace said:
The failings of Nintendo this gen, more than any previous gen (although they were heading in this direction), is that they've ceased to create games that I and the majority of my friends want to play on the Wii.
Sorry to break it to you, but you and your friends mean jack.

[Nintex]

chespace said:
I think they've only dropped the ball in this holiday season, other than that they've continued their: "one big game for holiday season" route that they took ever since the N64. I like this Nintendo better because their games like Super Mario Galaxy are true gems.

Top Bottom