• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2007

I just realized that although the coming of a price cut has been pretty obvious, I think this past month really cements the urgency with which it must be implemented. As such, we should start a prediction pool on GAF about when the first PS3 price cut will be introduced (not the date of announcement, but the date of the actual price reduction). With the PS3 situation dire, the DS and Wii being sold out, and the XBOX 360 maintaining solid if not spectacular sales, the sales prediction scene is pretty boring (to GAFfers... not to Patcher).

A price cut prediction would be much more engaging.

Mine

PS3:

US - August 1
Japan - September 20

360:

US - November 15
Japan - I don't know that they care enough to cut it.

Tristam

jordan0386 said:
We get on PS3 gamers, with the whole "what are you playing to justify the cost"

My question to Wii owners, What are you playing to justify positive word of mouth, and having your friends buy this console as well?

Xbox 360 is the better buy, why is it losing 2 to 1, to any console

153640-3-1-99.08B-G58-WII-RVLPREXE_320x320.jpg

StevieP

Banned
speculawyer said:
Yeah . . . it is all a big joke . . . who could possible think Eyetoy was a success. Didn't they sell a mere 50 eye toys or so?

In fact there has never been a successful optional peripheral since the Mattel powerglove flopped, so no one even makes any these days.

You guys all know better . . . what do I know?

So what's the percentage of people of people who own the PS2, in comparison to all the dance mats AND eyetoys sold, combined? Does it compare to the measley attach rate of the Wii Remote?

Tristam

speculawyer said:
Yeah . . . it is all a big joke . . . who could possible think Eyetoy was a success. Didn't they sell a mere 50 eye toys or so?

In fact there has never been a successful optional peripheral since the Mattel powerglove flopped, so no one even makes any these days.

Holy shit, the EyeToy and dance mats were a success on any level because of the void in the market for such peripherals. So you think now that waggle wands are going to be so successful on the PS3 and 360 when the Wii has *completely* filled the waggle void by making the Wii Remote its default controller?

mugwhump

planetkiller said:
Sony is going to be fine. Just ask Wollan (read his thread of spin outside of this thread)
planetkiller
Being Watched

Hahaha, I can't say I've ever seen that before! :lol

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
jordan0386 said:
My question to Wii owners, What are you playing to justify positive word of mouth, and having your friends buy this console as well?
Kobun Heat said:
It's because new Wii buyers are perfectly content to play Wii Sports. They don't care that it's nearly six months old.

Earthstrike said:
Can someone please summarize any meltdowns I may have missed?

Speculawyer
Believing MS can just add a waggle wand to their line up and gain as much momentum as Nintendo!
THE DS STARTED THE Wii HYPE TRAIN AND PEOPLE HAVE JUMPED ON AND NINTENDO KEPT UP WITH THE PACE.
people believing MS and Sony can just cut prices and catch up are having a laugh, Nintendo have the most room for price drops than anyone. Imagine DS sales once it hits $99 or Wii Sales at $199 and full distribution??

unomas

Banned
Congrats to Wii, but like many others I think the game library is pretty poor up to this point. It's selling on the waggle factor, many have said Wii sports gets old pretty quick. If third party titles don't sell on Wii it won't matter how big the install base is.

Whoa Microsoft, why oh why did you raise the price of the 360 artificially by introducing the Elite?

Sony...pretty simple really. Get down to $399 as quickly as you can and bleed money like no other or just be obsolote in the next gen race. PS2 for the win?

Mar

I find it amusing those who feel that if Sony isn't winning, then gaming is dead. I just hope for their sakes it's because they've known no other world than a Sony world. Being young gamers or something. Myself, I've seen the tides shift many many times.

Magnavox to Atari

Atari to Nintendo

Sinclair to Commodore

Commodore to PC

Sega equal to or greater than Nintendo (depends on what region)

Sega / Nintendo to Sony

Sony to Nintendo / Microsoft

Monk

Banned
speculawyer said:

Why didnt you bother mentioning the dual sticks controls of the ps1? Anyhow the most successful peripheral was that. It succeeded because it wasnt really forced on anyone at the start except that it was a measly 10 dollars more than the original ps1 controller. And slowly people moved on to prefer it as the norm.

Kevtones said:
Wii-mazement continues. PS3 is doomed, seriously.

Selling 60 million in 6 years in just as good as 100 million...obviously not as much PR spin and money making...but the brand can be successful

Narag

StevieP said:
So what's the percentage of people of people who own the PS2, in comparison to all the dance mats AND eyetoys sold, combined? Does it compare to the measley attach rate of the Wii Remote?

Even if such a peripheral were released wouldn't people just argue "But for $xx more you can get a full game system that does this full time?!" Lord knows I've seen enough "But for $150 you can get HD!!" arguments.

unomas said:
Congrats to Wii, but like many others I think the game library is pretty poor up to this point. It's selling on the waggle factor, many have said Wii sports gets old pretty quick. If third party titles don't sell on Wii it won't matter how big the install base is.
They have to announce and make (good)games first before they can start bombing.

unomas said:

Whoa Microsoft, why oh why did you raise the price of the 360 artificially by introducing the Elite?

Sony...pretty simple really. Get down to $399 as quickly as you can and bleed money like no other or just be obsolote in the next gen race. PS2 for the win?

They didnt raise anything...If you can afford, jump in...if not, buy another SKU

It costs the most, so I doubt it will be the one that is made the most...unless demand is so overwhelming

DefectiveReject said:
Speculawyer
Believing MS can just add a waggle wand to their line up and gain as much momentum as Nintendo!

There we go again with the misleading summary of what I'm saying . . . well, if you can't argue with what I say, then just create a strawman to blow it down.

Try some reading comprehension:
DefectiveReject said:
The point of this waggle-wand is not to wipe the Wii off the face of the earth. The point is to get customers who are trying to decide between a high-powered HD console & a fun waggle-box to pick the one that can do both. The Wii would still get plenty of sales for people totally into waggle and want Nintendo 1st party IP.

Deku

Banned
Battersea Power Station said:
A price cut prediction would be much more engaging.

Mine

PS3:

US - August 1
Japan - September 20

360:

US - November 15
Japan - I don't know that they care enough to cut it.

360 maybe, Sony I dunno unless they want another couple of years of deep losses in their gaming division. Sony will probably try to do all it can to increase perceived value by coming out with bundles.

Let's just hope or pray (depending on what you want to happen) they don't do another gigapack style disaster for 07 christmas.

legend166

Speculawyer, what makes you think that MS or Sony could produce a title that is as high quality as Wii Sports to support their supposed waggle wand?

People downplay Wii Sports way too much.

I mean, have a look at that Brunswick Bowling game that's coming out for the Wii. According to Matt and Bozon over at IGN, it's horrible.

speculawyer said:
There we go again with the misleading summary of what I'm saying . . . well, if you can't argue with what I say, then just create a strawman to blow it down.

i read what you said and i ignored it as it is complete and utter nonsense.

Your system has to fully support something not just allow you to use it on the odd game.

People want waggle and not HD just yet.

Its not just a case of a HD console you need a HD TV too

StevieP

Banned
unomas said:
If third party titles don't sell on Wii it won't matter how big the install base is.

Ah, I was waiting for that one. Thank you!

Selling 60 million in 6 years in just as good as 100 million...

If you think the PS3 (or the 360, going on its trends, for that matter) are going anywhere near 60 million, well... you're in for a hard console generation.

Deku

Banned
speculawyer said:
Perhaps you'll soon notice that was just the top 25 . . . Pachter beat plenty of people.

Person who made the list already corrected me and I replied in kind.

and by the way, if waggle wand 360 is an eye toy, does it mean it will have no good games? what's the point really and will it even has the installed base to match eye toy's success?. (Just to get on track again since you ignored my last reply)

DefectiveReject said:
i read what you said and i ignored it as it is complete and utter nonsense.

If it was such nonsense, why did you have to lie to make a point?

DefectiveReject said:
Your system has to fully support something not just allow you to use it on the odd game.

OK . . . I guess that virtual controller for the Wii is a completely useless piece of crap. I certainly wasn't able to play Zelda or Wii sports with it. No one will ever buy that . . . it must have been complete failure.

Yeah, I'm making no sense and you make perfect sense.

beat

Kobun Heat said:
It's because new Wii buyers are perfectly content to play Wii Sports. They don't care that it's nearly six months old.
If true, that doesn't bode well for third parties.

Deku said:
Peripherals don't work like that, especially on the 360 this far into its lifespan. It's like me saying Wii can actually do HD if Nintendo would just release a brand new console that can do HD. Not realistic.
What about PSX and the dual shock controller?

StevieP said:
Ah, I was waiting for that one. Thank you!

If you think the PS3 (or the 360, going on its trends, for that matter) are going anywhere near 60 million, well... you're in for a hard console generation.

PS2 owner pie...100 million possible gamers...somebody is doing 60 million sold this gen...period

If no one did, it would mean current gen games, just didnt do anything in the next generation for about 6 years...how is that realistic...tens of millions will not save money, then move on to the next level?

Tristam

beat said:

Tacking on joysticks is completely the same as revising the controller into a waggle wand, amirite?

StevieP

Banned
beat said:

More, more! /moku

PS2 owner pie...100 million possible gamers...somebody is doing 60 million sold this gen...period

The only one that's even coming close to that (or surpassing it) right now is the Wii. It's the only one selling out in all major markets, and the only one that has the sales and momentum to do so.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
beat said:
Let's just say they haven't exactly been "trying". Wii needs new games very soon if they want to keep this momentum. Software sales outside of a few key titles have been abysmal.

speculawyer said:
If it was such nonsense, why did you have to lie to make a point?
I lied?

OK . . . I guess that virtual controller for the Wii is a completely useless piece of crap. I certainly wasn't able to play Zelda or Wii sports with it. No one will ever buy that . . . it must have been complete failure.

Yeah, I'm making no sense and you make perfect sense.

The Wii fully supports the Virtual controller you numpty.
There's a service on the console that requires that controller for playing potentially 100's of games. Nice example.

speculawyer said:

Only problem is, any implementation of waggle on 360 will be so SHIT and DELAYED that it won't mean anything. Waggle is a succes not because it's waggle, but because people who had real social fun with video games tell their other friends about waggle. Any 360 waggle game will come out in at least 1 year (development time) and be crap (need game developers with experience with waggle, SDK not naturally equipped with waggle functions). Waggle will do nothing considerable for microsoft whatsoever.

Deku

Banned
beat said:

you mean the analog sticks most PSone games translated back into D pad style inputs.
Not the same.

Tristam

speculawyer said:
Drugs that put me near the top of that list.

:lol Props for that post.

But as for the Classic Controller? It supports hundreds and potentially thousands of games. Will the same be true for a 360 or PS3 waggle wand?

Deku

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
Let's just say they haven't exactly been "trying". Wii needs new games very soon if they want to keep this momentum. Software sales outside of a few key titles have been abysmal.
I've done charts of 3rd party sales when NPD data was freely available in other channels and they've done quite well for Wii's installed base and certainly leaps ahead of the PS3.

EA, Ubisoft and Activision in particular and keep in mind EA only had Madden and NFS for the longest time and those still went toe to toe with their 7 PS3 releases.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Deku said:
I've done charts of 3rd party sales when NPD data was freely available in other channels and they've done quite well for Wii's installed base and certainly leaps ahead of the PS3.

EA, Ubisoft and Activision in particular and keep in mind EA only had Madden and NFS for the longest time and those still went toe to toe with their 7 PS3 releases.
Considering the recent state of affairs I wouldn't compare anything to the PS3 to say it's doing well.

StevieP said:
More, more! /moku

The only one that's even coming close to that (or surpassing it) right now is the Wii. It's the only one selling out in all major markets, and the only one that has the sales and momentum to do so.

How many on this site are saying "Gimme a Wii 2-3 years down the line" more so than "Gimme a PS3 2-3 years down the line"

jordan0386 said:

If no one did, it would mean current gen games, just didnt do anything in the next generation for about 6 years...how is that realistic...tens of millions will not save money, then move on to the next level?

Only the Wii at this point has an actual realistic chance of getting past 50M, imo.

Tristam

jordan0386 said:
How many on this site are saying "Gimme a Wii 2-3 years down the line" more so than "Gimme a PS3 2-3 years down the line"

GAF is a representative sample of the world's population confirmed.

legend166 said:
Speculawyer, what makes you think that MS or Sony could produce a title that is as high quality as Wii Sports to support their supposed waggle wand?

I didn't say they would. Wii Sports is a great title. A lot of tuning was probably the real key . . . it is very forgiving. Try playing with just light flicks of the wrist . . . it works well.

All I'm saying is that MSFT & Sony can reduce some of the waggle-advantage by creating their own waggle-mote and selling it along with a game.

I think that if you have 'lawyer' in your userid, it is just an excuse for people to think you are an asshole and dispute anything you say. I actually like the challenge a bit since it makes me re-think things. But to some degree it gets annoying when I get reflexive arguments from people that just are not true. (Like 'no add-on controller is ever successful!').

Tristam said:
GAF is a representative sample of the world's population confirmed.

Actually a stunning conterminity exists between the Virtual console sales threads for all next-gen hardware and actual sales. One could use a large enough Gaf composite of statements to a make a statement that has a significant accuracy when applied to a population. Of course whoever you're arguing with must present his data where he shows the actual posts of people saying one or the other and their respective sums.

Fess

It would be interesting to see similar charts for the rest of the world. We know that Sony is bombing in the U.S, Canada and Japan. But could Sony still do well in Europe?

StevieP

Banned
jordan0386 said:

Sorry, but the 'snowball effect' is actually a trendy way of saying "userbase -> software -> userbase -> software", and currently the 360 has a small, region-specific snowball, and the 360/PS3 represent a tiny set of balls in comparison to what the Wii is capable of worldwide.

There is no "wii is a fad" BS. Once the train starts, it takes miracles to make it stop. 2-3 years means nothing. All the deciding is done within the first 6-9 months.

But could Sony still do well in Europe?

Recent software charts say no.

Top Bottom