• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2007

titiklabingapat said:
Only the Wii at this point has an actual realistic chance of getting past 50M, imo.

If the goal is to do 50m by end of 2007, I guess you would have that point...the hype is big...but looking 5 years from now, looking at the possible advancement in gaming over the next five years...the only thing Wii offers is controlling how a game is played, the other 2 consoles will be making advancements in several more areas, more worthwhile areas

What do I want...Call of Duty 6 on a PS3 or COD 6 on Wii, when it will barely look better than 3 that is out now on a Wii(I think its 3)...but wait, at least I can make gun movements at my tv screen

Tristam

speculawyer said:
I didn't say they would. Wii Sports is a great title. A lot of tuning was probably the real key . . . it is very forgiving. Try playing with just light flicks of the wrist . . . it works well.

All I'm saying is that MSFT & Sony can reduce some of the waggle-advantage by creating their own waggle-mote and selling it along with a game.

I think that if you have 'lawyer' in your userid, it is just an excuse for people to think you are an asshole and dispute anything you say. I actually like the challenge a bit since it makes me re-think things. But to some degree it gets annoying when I get reflexive arguments from people that just are not true. (Like 'no add-on controller is ever successful!').

I'm taking the LSAT this spring. :)

But you first compared this hypothetical waggle wand to the EyeToy and dance mats (both of which filled a void in the market; the waggle void is filled thanks to the Wii, as I've already pointed out).

You then compared it to the Classic Controller. The problem is, the Classic Controller supports far, far more games than this waggle wand could ever hope to.

Brannon

...I must participate in a sales thread for this one bit of knowledge!

Any way to see how many total copies Earth Defense Force 2017 sold so far? Much appreciated; definitely need to know if there's a chance that another EDF will come out!

speculawyer said:
I didn't say they would. Wii Sports is a great title. A lot of tuning was probably the real key . . . it is very forgiving. Try playing with just light flicks of the wrist . . . it works well.

All I'm saying is that MSFT & Sony can reduce some of the waggle-advantage by creating their own waggle-mote and selling it along with a game.

I think that if you have 'lawyer' in your userid, it is just an excuse for people to think you are an asshole and dispute anything you say. I actually like the challenge a bit since it makes me re-think things. But to some degree it gets annoying when I get reflexive arguments from people that just are not true. (Like 'no add-on controller is ever successful!').

People aren't judging you 'cause you have lawyer in your usernick.
Rule #54: If you ever try to use psychoanalysis on the internet to try make some point on the internet, you should probably stop.

With that said, I think what people are trying to argue is that any 360 waggle would do so little to reduce the Wii Waggle advantage that it would not be worth Microsoft's money.

StevieP said:
Sorry, but the 'snowball effect' is actually a trendy way of saying "userbase -> software -> userbase -> software", and currently the 360 has a small, region-specific snowball, and the 360/PS3 represent a tiny set of balls in comparison to what the Wii is capable of worldwide.

There is no "wii is a fad" BS. Once the train starts, it takes miracles to make it stop. 2-3 years means nothing. All the deciding is done within the first 6-9 months.

memorable experiences on GC, one hand...experiences on PS2, all the humans in NYC

...after this year, trade in your Wii

StevieP

Banned
jordan0386 said:
the only thing Wii offers is controlling how a game is played, the other 2 consoles will be making advancements in several more areas, more worthwhile areas

Who are you to decide which advancements are more important? It's the general consumer that's deciding... right NOW.

memorable experiences on GC, one hand...experiences on PS2, all the humans in NYC

...after this year, trade in your Wii

If only that post made sense. But yeah, go ahead - trade in your wii after this year. You'll be buying another one in 2-3 years when the Wii's success nears that of the PS2.

junkwaffle

In Front and Drawing Away
mariodoll.jpg

Brannon

On topic: Five Hundred and Ninety-Nine US Dollars.

Goddamn.

A little late, but what happened with the whole "people will buy it with their tax returns" theory? Where did that even come from!?

Deku

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
Considering the recent state of affairs I wouldn't compare anything to the PS3 to say it's doing well.

Fair point, but would that imply PS3 would get no games then? Surely you wouldn't say that.

But that's purely rhetorical. My point is, Third parties is doing quite well in terms of overall dollar share of the market. Last solid numbers I had was around 50-55% of the Wii software market and no one can say Wii software sales are bad, because they aren't. It's fairly typical of what we expect to see from a new platform, which also happens to have a pack-in title.

With our gimped NPD numbers its tough to say just how well they are doing right now, but I would suspect the trend is more or less the same because nothing has changed.

StevieP said:
Who are you to decide which advancements are more important? It's the general consumer that's deciding... right NOW.

If only that post made sense. But yeah, go ahead - trade in your wii after this year. You'll be buying another one in 2-3 years when the Wii's success nears that of the PS2.

With what games?

DefectiveReject said:

DefectiveReject said:
Speculawyer Believing MS can just add a waggle wand to their line up and gain as much momentum as Nintendo!.

I don't believe MS can just add a waggle wand to their line up and gain as much momentum as Nintendo. Hence, it is a lie.

DefectiveReject said:
The Wii fully supports the Virtual controller you numpty.
There's a service on the console that requires that controller for playing potentially 100's of games. Nice example.

So 'fully supports' now means 'some games use it'.

But you guys are so right . . . how could anyone be so stupid to think that a game selling with its own peripheral EVER be a success? Dance mats are just a fluke. That will never happen again. I'm just absolutely stupid.

sonycowboy said:
Top 10 Software Items- April 2007 Units
NDS POKEMON DIAMOND VERSION NINTENDO OF AMERICA APR 2007 EVERYONE (E) 1.045 M
NDS POKEMON PEARL VERSION NINTENDO OF AMERICA APR 2007 EVERYONE (E) 712K
WII SUPER PAPER MARIO NINTENDO OF AMERICA APR 2007 EVERYONE (E) 352K
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA FEB 2007 EVERYONE (E) 249K
360 GUITAR HERO 2 W/ GUITAR ACTIVISION MAR 2007 TEEN (T) 197K
PS2 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR ACTIVISION NOV 2006 TEEN (T) 142K
360 SPIDER-MAN 3 ACTIVISION APR 2007 TEEN (T) 117K
PS2 SPIDER-MAN 3 ACTIVISION APR 2007 TEEN (T) 105K
PS2 GOD OF WAR II SONY MAR 2007 MATURE (M) 101K
PS2 MLB '07: THE SHOW SONY FEB 2007 EVERYONE (E) 79K

Must be those drugs I'm on.

jordan0386 said:
If the goal is to do 50m by end of 2007, I guess you would have that point...the hype is big...but looking 5 years from now, looking at the possible advancement in gaming over the next five years...the only thing Wii offers is controlling how a game is played, the other 2 consoles will be making advancements in several more areas, more worthwhile areas

What do I want...Call of Duty 6 on a PS3 or COD 6 on Wii, when it will barely look better than 3 that is out now on a Wii(I think its 3)...but wait, at least I can make gun movements at my tv screen

Consumers says that what the Wii offer is more worthwhile to them than what the PS3/360 does.

speculawyer said:
Exceptions rather than a rule. For every GH, there are ten other that failed.

jordan0386 said:
With what games?

The ones third parties are starting to develop right now cuz they're in their boardrooms saying "Oh, Shit, there's money to be made"

I mean honestly, I can easily see everything you're saying being used in the first year of the PSP-DS war.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Deku said:
Fair point, but would that imply PS3 would get no games then? Surely you wouldn't say that.
whatdog.gif
Deku said:
But that's purely rhetorical. My point is, in terms of pure numbers and units sold, Third parties is doing quite well in terms of overall dollar share of the market. Last solid numbers I had was around 50-55% of the market and no one can say Wii software sales are bad, because they aren't. It's fairly typical of what we expect to see from a new platform, which also happens to have a pack-in title.

With our gimped NPD numbers its tough to say just how well they are doing right now, but I would suspect the trend is more or less the same because nothing has changed.
I'm happy Super Paper Mario is up on the charts. Wii Sports and Wii Play are also doing pretty well in Japan. I guess Big Brain Academy might do well here as well. That's about it.

Thankfully there's a bright side, this Fall seems pretty good for the Wii.

jordan0386 said:
the only thing Wii offers is controlling how a game is played, the other 2 consoles will be making advancements in several more areas, more worthwhile areas
Motion Sensing gaming in my opinion a lot more of a significant advancement then going to IBM and buying a "fairly powerful CPU" and then going to ATI or Nvidia and getting their latest GPU. That's what companies do every single gen, now totally revamping the way we interact with games is supposed to be minimal compared to that? Get real, get off your high horse, and open up your eyes.

Tristam

speculawyer said:
I don't believe MS can just add a waggle wand to their line up and gain as much momentum as Nintendo. Hence, it is a lie.

But you guys are so right . . . how could anyone be so stupid to think that a game selling with its own peripheral EVER be a success? Dance mats are just a fluke. That will never happen again. I'm just absolutely stupid.

Are you ignoring everything I posted? You know, the bit about dance mats filling a void in the market? And how your hypothetical waggle wand wouldn't be filling any market void because the Wii Remote has already taken residency there?

fernoca

I'm not an "speculawyer fan" or anything..
Anyway..
What he said has been taken out of context..

He didnt' said that MS and Sony, should release a "waggle controller" to destroy the Wii, and also make it their default controller..

He said that MS and Sony, should release some 'waggle controler' to cater those gamers (which there are many on this board aside other places), that would like to buy/play "waggle games", but don't want to buy a Wii (because of the SD-visuals, because of not wanting another console, things like that)...

Is just an additional option for those that would like to play 'something' like the Wii, but not buy a Wii per se ....people that are more willing to pay under $100 for a game wit ha special controller, rather than a $250. (the Drinky/Speevy kinda of gamer)

That aside, I'd like my 'waggle controller' to stay on the Wii..
Hehehehe...
Many were calling it gimmicky at first..many hated the shape/design..the concept..many just assumed that "gaming generational leaps" are dictated by the power inside the console, not by the concepts broughts to gaming, causing many to assume that "Nientido are doUmmed"...

Oh well..

general consumer also loves his Ps2, all things playstation to be exact...

Why are they buying Wiis over PS3s in a few years

Is Nintendo Wii better than ps2 now?

speculawyer said:

The thing is the game has to be GOOD. For one thing, who will develop this waggle based game? It would be more expensive than doing a Wii version. 360 SDK's are not equipped with in bound waggle based functions like Nintendo is. I mean you're comparing a guitar (which is like a giant controller with certain button placement) to a completely new gaming technology which requires new knowledge to work and develop with.

The games would cost more, be harder to develop, and harder to make into a quality game due to lack of developer experience and SDK support.

StevieP said:
You definately need some reading comprehension, here.

Userbase -> software -> userbase -> software -> userbase -> software...

As of right now, 360 still has the bigger userbase...whats is your point

Tristam said:
But you first compared this hypothetical waggle wand to the EyeToy and dance mats (both of which filled a void in the market; the waggle void is filled thanks to the Wii, as I've already pointed out)..

So are dance mats only one console because that console 'filled the void'. Are steering wheels only on one console?

Tristam said:
You then compared it to the Classic Controller. The problem is, the Classic Controller supports far, far more games than this waggle wand could ever hope to.

I just brought up the classic controller to show that a controller does not have to 'fully support' all games to be a success. And as my more recent post shows, you can have very successful add-on controllers that support only 1 game!

Deku

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
whatdog.gif
I'm happy Super Paper Mario is up on the charts. Wii Sports and Wii Play are also doing pretty well in Japan. I guess Big Brain Academy might do well here as well. That's about it.

I'm speaking about NPD US figures specifically and in a mixed top 10 it's completely useless in forming an opinion other than finding out how many units the most popular of games sold. I'm not sure how you can extrapolate that into anything.

As for Media Create numbers, Johnnyram post some totals a month or so back, you should check them out.

Narag

jordan0386 said:

Except Playsation Portable software sales, right?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Deku said:
I'm speaking about NPD US figures specifically and in a mixed top 10 it's completely useless in forming an opinion.

As for Media Create numbers, Johnnyram post some totals a month or so back, you should check them out.
Nah I'm good. You're doing an excellent job spinning. I rather come to you anyways, Tarutarus are sweet.

USD

Well somebody has to set things in motion. Microsoft seems content on waiting for Sony to make the first move, and Sony will probably wait until they don't need to ship any systems for a quarter or two because of oversupply, like they did with the PSP. Nintendo in the meantime, will laugh itself all the way to the bank.

StevieP

Banned
As of right now, 360 still has the bigger userbase...whats is your point

*looks at sales trends* Yeah... give that 3 or 4 months, give or take.

jordan0386 said:

koreah.jpg

Stop whenever you want...

All I see is posters bitching about half ass ports to Wii, these half ass ports not lighting up the charts...but these are the games that will propel Wii to over 50m before anyone else and be number 1

Whatever

Edit: I have been all over the place in a few posts, my bad

fernoca said:
I'm not an "speculawyer fan" or anything..
Anyway..
What he said has been taken out of context..

He didnt' said that MS and Sony, should release a "waggle controller" to destroy the Wii, and also make it their default controller..

He said that MS and Sony, should release some 'waggle controler' to cater those gamers (which there are many on this board aside other places), that would like to buy/play "waggle games", but don't want to buy a Wii (because of the SD-visuals, because of not wanting another console, things like that)...

Exactly. And waggle-mote add-on could largely be a failure and yet achieve an important goal. Look at the HD-DVD add-on to the 360. That thing is a failure. But even though it is a failure, it has succeeded it making the Blu-Ray capability of the PS3 not look that important. A lot of people look at Blu-Ray and think . . . well . . . I don't know which is the winner between Blu-Ray & HD-DVD, so I'm not going to view the PS3 Blu-Ray capability as something all that important.

Deku

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
Nah I'm good. You're doing an excellent job spinning I rather come to you.

I'm just questioning your one statement in particular about abysmal sales. Which simply isn't true. But ad homenim attacks always welcome Tekuno.

Tristam

speculawyer said:
So are dance mats only one console because that console 'filled the void'. Are steering wheels only on one console?

I just brought up the classic controller to show that a controller does not have to 'fully support' all games to be a success. And as my more recent post shows, you can have very successful add-on controllers that support only 1 game!

Hm? You're off the mark here. Are dance mats the default controller of any console (particularly the most popular one)? Are steering wheels?

jordan0386 said:

If by all things playstation, you include the PSP, I would have to inquire as to how the DS could possibly be completely destroying the PSP in terms of Hardware and Software sales? And if increased functionality isn't as important increased processing power why is the PSP not outselling the DS? Any you say loving all things playstation? There are three playstation products on the market right now; one is selling abysmally, one is selling mediocrely, and one is selling well. This hardly classifies as people loving all things playstation.

speculawyer said:

wowsers one game using a peripheral nears the top of the charts!
And it isn't a lie, you so firmly believe MS can add waggle and run with it

Earthstrike said:
If by all things playstation, you include the PSP, I would have to inquire as to how the DS could possibly be completely destroying the PSP in terms of Hardware and Software sales? And if increased functionality isn't as important increased processing power why is the PSP not outselling the DS? Any you say loving all things playstation? There are three playstation products on the market right now; one is selling abysmally, one is selling mediocrely, and one is selling well. This hardly classifies as people loving all things playstation.

I was looking at it more like, the carry over of 100m in sales, for the home consoles...but I see your point

StevieP

Banned
jordan0386 said:
I was looking at it more like, the carry over of 100m in sales, for the home consoles...but I see your point

Just like the carryover Nintendo got from the SNES to the N64, and then to the Gamecube. Must be wonderful living in your world!

speculawyer said:
Exactly. And waggle-mote add-on could largely be a failure and yet achieve an important goal. Look at the HD-DVD add-on to the 360. That thing is a failure. But even though it is a failure, it has succeeded it making the Blu-Ray capability of the PS3 not look that important. A lot of people look at Blu-Ray and think . . . well . . . I don't know which is the winner between Blu-Ray & HD-DVD, so I'm not going to view the PS3 Blu-Ray capability as something all that important.

I don't think your point about the HD-DVD add-on being that significant is true since I highly doubt casuals 1. Use the ability to play next gen media discs as a decision basis for console purchases 2. are even aware of an HD-DVD add-on.

It's one thing to speculate what people might say about a product. It's another to support that statement with evidence. I mean who are these people that say that?

StevieP

Banned
I was talking about Playstation though

Fanboys on message boards (aka "the hardcore") make up the minority of hardware purchasers.... you DO know that, right? Or should I just stop right now? :lol

goldenpp72 said:
The wii will most likely outsell the n64 and cube though.

And that has NOTHING to do with Nintendo fans. It has everything to do with the casual buyer that make up the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of sales on platforms such as the NES/PSX/PS2/DS/etc. They have no fanboy allegiance, and history proves that point many times over.

jordan0386 said:

Except it's not a perfect carryover. Hell, it doesn't even look like it's gonna be a 50% carryover.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Deku said:
I'm just questioning your one statement in particular about abysmal sales. Which simply isn't true. But ad homenim attacks always welcome Tekuno.
It's not an attack at all, its an accurate statement based on your fierce dedication to prove that Wii sales are lighting up the charts despite multiple indications that outside of a few dedicated releases that isn't the case. Manipulating numbers to put them in the most positive outlook possible is spinning whether intentional or not.

Now I have an open mind and you've obviously done the research. I've followed the progress but haven't done due diligence and forgot to chart it out or copy it down. To be honest I'd love someone to do the work for me. Please show me, I think it'd be a great addition to this thread and you'd clarify the situation for me since you've been so keen to do so. I'm being honest here.

Top Bottom