• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2010

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
omg rite said:
WHY ARE PEOPLE BUYING JUST DANCE? JESUS CHRIST.

rock_band.png

Ridley327

DMeisterJ said:
So MH3 actually did 'okay'. Not bad but not good.

If we go by past numbers, it's the best opening for a MH game in the US by a good margin. Anyone expecting significantly more than what it got was entirely too optimistic.

Kagari said:
Close to 4 million world wide probably.

Has to be more than that , it sold 1.9 million in Japan and 1.4 million in NA rounding off numbers a bit . I find it hard to believe that it only sold 700 000 for the whole of Europe .

As for SSF4 it sold 250 k in NA in 4 days along with Japan 140k making it 390k so far .

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Oh yeah, just noticed this. This is probably the slowest month of sales that I've ever seen in my time on GAF, damn.
The PSP sales are just dismal but the DS still owns the world, rightfully so.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Ridley327 said:
If we go by past numbers, it's the best opening for a MH game in the US by a good margin. Anyone expecting significantly more than what it got was entirely too optimistic.

That's great, but again, it's been afforded some amenities that the previous MH's have not. But yeah, it's the biggest opening no doubt.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
gundamkyoukai said:
Has to be more than that , it sold 1.9 million in Japan and 1.4 million in NA rounding off numbers a bit . I find it hard to believe that it only sold 700 000 for the whole of Europe .

039.jpg

Were actual numbers given for this chart?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Anyone really surprised FFXIII didn't chart this month? That game had "frontloaded" all over it, even if it had been a more traditional FF game. Its like MGS sold almost at 1 million in June of 08 then dropped like a rock for the rest of the year. Bet the Ps3 version is just under 1 mil and the 360 is sitting at about 650k. It might hit 3 mil US combined by the end of the year.

markatisu

DMeisterJ said:
So MH3 actually did 'okay'. Not bad but not good.

Depends what you consider good, I mean it almost did the LTD of the last PSP iteration in the small reporting period. Not sure what the goal posts should be given the series low NA sales

I guess its like crap (under 100k), okay (110-200k), good (200k-400k)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
truly101 said:
Anyone really surprised FFXIII didn't chart this month? That game had "frontloaded" all over it, even if it had been a more traditional FF game. Its like MGS sold almost at 1 million in June of 08 then dropped like a rock for the rest of the year. Bet the Ps3 version is just under 1 mil and the 360 is sitting at about 650k. It might hit 3 mil US combined by the end of the year.

Considering the 360 version was at what... 493K for March? It didn't do another 150K otherwise it would have charted in the top 10.
No way will it get to 3 million combined unless they start giving it away or something.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
neutralgamer02 said:
version and patched English translations that were created by fans.

It selling 67k on the psp, after 1 year is pretty good. If the game had the same benefits as the wii version it would have done over 100k the first month.

Just a little context.

:lol
bwahahahahah, get the fuck out with this kind of bullshit no matter what the context is.
Go check what PSP's 1st party and 3d party game usually sell first month.
Hint: not over 100k.

DMeisterJ

Banned
markatisu said:
Depends what you consider good, I mean it almost did the LTD of the last PSP iteration in the small reporting period. Not sure what the goal posts should be given the series low NA sales

I guess its like crap (under 100k), okay (110-200k), good (200k-400k)

Well, almost selling the LTD of a game that sold poorly should hardly be a measure of success or failure, I'm more concerned with what Capcom expected out of US + EU and whether it can scrape together 500k units between both of the regions.

Anyway, nice new avatar, lol.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Kagari said:
Considering the 360 version was at what... 493K for March? It didn't do another 150K otherwise it would have charted in the top 10.
No way will it get to 3 million combined unless they start giving it away or something.

It'll hit 3 million US sometime in its LTD, may take GH pricing to do it, but it will.

DMeisterJ said:
Well, almost selling the LTD of a game that sold poorly should hardly be a measure of success or failure, I'm more concerned with what Capcom expected out of US + EU and whether it can scrape together 500k units between both of the regions.

Anyway, nice new avatar, lol.

I think they're expecting 500K outside of Japan LTD.

DMeisterJ said:
Considering that it's outperforming the PS2 versions, a system they had invested much, much more heavily in by this point in its lifespan, I'm sure they're happy with the sales. Coupled with it's status as best selling 3rd party game this side of FF in Japan why wouldn't they be?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
truly101 said:
It'll hit 3 million US sometime in its LTD, may take GH pricing to do it, but it will.

:lol No it won't. FFX only hit 2.46 million and that game was far more popular.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
gundamkyoukai said:
No way , the max FFXIII doing In NA is 2 million , 2.25 if they lucky and that with GH price.

Its probably close to 1.5 million now, between the PS3 and 360 versions it will probably hit 2 million by December. It will never chart again, but it probably only has to sell around 30k each version for 8 months May-December). That doesn't seem that hard to me and yeah, by 2012, I bet the game has sold 3 million US.

markatisu

DMeisterJ said:

Yeah I think it was 500k that they set as the goal on their last report, we know in the EU alone it has done ~70k , now we have ~120k for the US so I guess we are getting halfway there

Scrape together is probably the best way to phrase it, if it gets to 500k combined in the west it will be just barely imho

Unless of course word of mouth causes some crazy legs, but I do not think many people are expecting that to happen. Stranger things have happened though when we find out numbers in 5-6 months and suddenly 100-200k of a game has moved without anyone noticing

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I guess it will perform similarly to FFXII/FFIX.

Here's to hoping Versus XIII performs better
which it probably won't, but can't we hope?
:p

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I guess FXII never broke 3 million LTD so maybe FFXIII wont either. Let me say I would not be surprised by the time this gen is wrapped up (in 2-3 years I guess) if FFXIII has sold 3 million US.

truly101 said:
Its probably close to 1.5 million now, between the PS3 and 360 versions it will probably hit 2 million by December. It will never chart again, but it probably only has to sell around 30k each version for 8 months May-December). That doesn't seem that hard to me and yeah, by 2012, I bet the game has sold 3 million US.

FF XIII is not going to be still selling in 2012 , that crazy talk .
NO FF since 7 has sold 3 million in NA and i don't even think that did as much.

I really love FFXIII but 2.5 - 3.0 million in the US? I would think that used sales would kill it off far before it gets to that number since what retailer would still be ordering it after this holiday season?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
gundamkyoukai said:

I was pretty sure VII, VIII and X were over 3 million LTD, thats why some considered IX and XII flops since they didn't break that. VII and VIII had long shelf lives as GH titles before they were finally out of print.

Zen

Banned
gundamkyoukai said:

MGS4 kept selling. Not to say taht FFXIII will hit 3 million.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
schuelma said:
True. Galaxy will suck up a lot of oxygen, but that's about it for the next few months.

SINANDPUNISHAh fuck it it's going to bomb so hard it will leave a crater the shape of a bob-omb.

truly101 said:
I was pretty sure VII, VIII and X were over 3 million LTD, thats why some considered IX and XII flops since they didn't break that. VII and VIII had long shelf lives as GH titles before they were finally out of print.

Seem you skip Kagari post

Kagari said:
:lol No it won't. FFX only hit 2.46 million and that game was far more popular.

Regulus Tera said:
SINANDPUNISHAh fuck it it's going to bomb so hard it will leave a crater the shape of a bob-omb.

I'd love to know what Nintendo expects from this title.
I mean, it was made solely because of the VC sales of the original.
And that can't be more than, what? 50-70K?

Regulus Tera said:
Yeah, that's why I didn't mention it in the post he was replying to. :(

If it means anything to you, I plan on pre-ordering it before it comes out if the job interview I have tomorrow goes well. If it wasn't for Galaxy 2 I already would've.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Well I guess FFXIII has already hit its sales target then or will by this year, if none of the others hit 3 million. I guess there was no reason to expect it to chart again. Front loaded, next.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
AceBandage said:
I'd love to know what Nintendo expects from this title.
I mean, it was made solely because of the VC sales of the original.
And that can't be more than, what? 50-70K?

Fifty bucks have, sadly, not the same market equilibrium as twelve bucks.

I don't think it will do as bad as Excitebots. On the other hand, it comes out at the end of the month, so maybe it won't even pass the 10K mark for June.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Why are people saying SONY should just kill the PSP?

They just sold 65,000 PSP's, even if Sony made only $20 profit (just using as an example), that's still $1.3 million in profit

I would be worried if they were losing/bleeding money on each PSP, then Yes, I would say leave it completely

Every time I read a new NPD thread, it's the same bullshit thrown out by Arm Chair Sales Generals saying do this and do that.
Thank god the fucking industry doesn't listen to some of you, you guys are bat shit insane

So fucking what Google ships 65,000 Android Phone everyday, apples and oranges, phones to a video game hand held are 2 completely different tech items

Time for Sony to worry is when their bottom line is being shifted from black to red

Nintendo is making money, Sony is making money, Microsoft is making money

What more do you want as gamers, seriously, 3 companies trying their best to get your money, healthy competition which benefits us (the customers)

The time gamers should go all gloom and doom is something is really low, I would be with you if the PSP only sold 1-2,000 units

justchris

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Considering that it's outperforming the PS2 versions, a system they had invested much, much more heavily in by this point in its lifespan, I'm sure they're happy with the sales. Coupled with it's status as best selling 3rd party game this side of FF in Japan why wouldn't they be?

Now the real question is, will this do anything to strengthen the franchise as a whole in the West. Good sales for MH3 is nice, but pretty meaningless if it does nothing for MH3P, MH3G, MH3GP, MH4, MH4P and MH4G.

Top Bottom