• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2010

GraveRobberX said:
Why are people saying SONY should just kill the PSP?

They just sold 65,000 PSP's, even if Sony made only $20 profit (just using as an example), that's still $1.3 million in profit

I would be worried if they were losing/bleeding money on each PSP, then Yes, I would say leave it completely

Every time I read a new NPD thread, it's the same bullshit thrown out by Arm Chair Sales Generals saying do this and do that.
Thank god the fucking industry doesn't listen to some of you, you guys are bat shit insane

So fucking what Google ships 65,000 Android Phone everyday, apples and oranges, phones to a video game hand held are 2 completely different tech items

Time for Sony to worry is when their bottom line is being shifted from black to red

Nintendo is making money, Sony is making money, Microsoft is making money

What more do you want as gamers, seriously, 3 companies trying their best to get your money, healthy competition which benefits us (the customers)

The time gamers should go all gloom and doom is something is really low, I would be with you if the PSP only sold 1-2,000 units

I'd say losing nearly 900 Million last year means it's time to worry.

justchris said:
Now the real question is, will this do anything to strengthen the franchise as a whole in the West. Good sales for MH3 is nice, but pretty meaningless if it does nothing for MH3P, MH3G, MH3GP, MH4, MH4P and MH4G.

That is completely up to Capcom at this point.
If they don't strike while the iron is hot, it won't mean shit.

GraveRobberX said:
The time gamers should go all gloom and doom is something is really low, I would be with you if the PSP only sold 1-2,000 units

So what, you're saying they should just turn down $20-$40k in MAD PROFITS?!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Let's Play: How Badly Can Sin and Punishment: Star Successor Bomb?!

• It's a no-name franchise whose first game is unknown outside of the most hardcore circles of Nintendo fans.
  • Nintendo of America's marketing efforts will be elsewhere (more than probably Metroid: Other M and Dragon Quest IX).
  • It amounts to a play-time of six hours (admittedly Ikaruga does not even reach one hour, and that did well).
  • It comes out on June 27th, giving it one week of sales (or was that two? NPD's schedule is freaking weird).
  • It's fifty bucks.

That gives me sub-10k. Am I missing any other points?

STG!

Regulus Tera said:

• It's a no-name franchise whose first game is unknown outside of the most hardcore circles of Nintendo fans.
  • Nintendo of America's marketing efforts will be elsewhere (more than probably Metroid: Other M and Dragon Quest IX).
  • It amounts to a play-time of six hours (admittedly Ikaruga does not even reach one hour, and that did well).
  • It comes out on June 27th, giving it one week of sales (or was that two? NPD's schedule is freaking weird).
  • It's fifty bucks.

Am I missing any other points?

It'll do slightly better than your worst case scenario, that's Treasure.

neptunes

GraveRobberX said:

They just sold 65,000 PSP's, even if Sony made only $20 profit (just using as an example), that's still $1.3 million in profit

I would be worried if they were losing/bleeding money on each PSP, then Yes, I would say leave it completely

Every time I read a new NPD thread, it's the same bullshit thrown out by Arm Chair Sales Generals saying do this and do that.
Thank god the fucking industry doesn't listen to some of you, you guys are bat shit insane

So fucking what Google ships 65,000 Android Phone everyday, apples and oranges, phones to a video game hand held are 2 completely different tech items

Time for Sony to worry is when their bottom line is being shifted from black to red

What more do you want as gamers, seriously, 3 companies trying their best to get your money, healthy competition which benefits us (the customers)

How poorly does the PSP have to sell in order for people to be concerned? Do you think retailers, let alone Publishers/Developers are satisfied with these numbers? Sony's trying to run a lucrative and healthy business and out-perform themselves year over year. Companies re-brand (or re-launch) their products and services for a reason. The PSP's momentum is all but gone.

EDIT: You think we should start worrying if the PSP starts selling 1,200 a month?what

donny2112

Regulus Tera said:

If that's your criteria, I'm sure S&P2 will do "well," too. :p
~35K over the first three months

Considering the genre 6 hours is a pretty insane length.
Still doubtful that I'll pick up S&P2 at launch. I want to support it really I do but it'll be $20 or less in the space of a month.

Why just the other day I saw NMH2 for less than $20. Granted that was almost four months ago wasn't it? Well S&P2 will just have to do substantially worse won't it?

Seriously though I think S&P2 could do at least something. All else fails Nintendo could just throw that voodoo magic on it that keeps its price from dropping. If nothing else it'll grind my gears.

greepoman

GraveRobberX said:

The problem with your argument is that there is a minimum operating cost of paying employees, supporting, advertising, keeping the factories running, etc. for the PSP which doesn't change much whether you sell 100 PSPs or 1 million PSPs. So you have to sell a minimum number to break even. However, we don't know what this point is.

Often you might see numbers of how much a system costs to produce...which is where people deduce this 'profit per unit' but like I said this is basically just parts and assembly which neglects everything I just stated.

GraveRobberX said:

As someone just mentioned, actually their division just posted a 900 million dollar loss. I think the year before was a loss as well. Sony is kept afloat overall by their TVs, but you can't have your division putting down losses forever.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I used to be a hardcore gamer, but now I wouldn't consider myself much more than a casual gamer (casual gamer with extensive video game knowledge at the most). I rented MHTri and did not like it. You need to be a hardcore gamer to have the patience that the game requires and I simply didn't have that patience, I'm not surprised at all that the game didn't sell like hotcakes and crack the top 10.

edit: Just saw that it did 125k, that's not too bad actually, I would've predicted lower than 100k

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Still doubtful that I'll pick up S&P2 at launch. I want to support it really I do but it'll be $20 or less in the space of a month.

Why just the other day I saw NMH2 for less than $20. Granted that was almost four months ago wasn't it? Well S&P2 will just have to do substantially worse won't it?

Seriously though I think S&P2 could do at least something.

Problem.
S&P2 is a Nintendo game.
Those don't go down in price. Ever.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
PepsimanVsJoe said:

Being totally fair that's like, first-time through. The actual content is a little less than three hours.

Yeah Treasure is fucked. Here's to another decade of licenced anime games!

justchris

Regulus Tera said:

• It's fifty bucks.

If it's any consolation, I'll be buying it. I don't really think play time matters though, not for a Wii game. The best selling Wii games tend to have a focus on replayability, so the short play time and multiple play methods will work in it's favor. The difficulty and tone of the game will probably work against it though.

And seriously, I'd be surprised if there were any marketing for it at all beyond maybe the Nintendo channel and the Club Nintendo emails. It has 'sent to die' written all over it.

AceBandage said:
Problem.
S&P2 is a Nintendo game.
Those don't go down in price. Ever.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
All else fails Nintendo could just throw that voodoo magic on it that keeps its price from dropping. If nothing else it'll grind my gears.

Yeah I just realized that. =(

donny2112 said:
That's a high bar to reach. Don't know if it'll make it.

Well it's either something or ~20k. Its closest competitor is going to be Deathsmiles. Yeah different systems and genres but there should be some overlap. I'm even more down on that game though..maybe 10k...maybe

I already have Deathsmiles preordered and paid off.

Regulus Tera said:
Being totally fair that's like, first-time through. The actual content is a little less than three hours.

Yeah Treasure is fucked. Here's to another decade of licenced anime games!

No, they'll also make a Star Fox game for the 3DS.

BELIEVE!

donny2112 said:
Unless they bomb/overship, and then they do. e.g. Animal Crossing, Excitebots, NPC.

All those are still full price here...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
justchris said:
If it's any consolation, I'll be buying it. I don't really think play time matters though, not for a Wii game. The best selling Wii games tend to have a focus on replayability, so the short play time and multiple play methods will work in it's favor. The difficulty and tone of the game will probably work against it though.

Easy mode is pathetically easy and continues are unlimited, however. If you are only playing for the cutscenes (whywouldyoudothat?!) there's nothing holding you back from doing so.

I've blinded myself from everything S&P2 related(doubly so for SMG2) but if it's anything like S&P1 it's going to be a very difficult sale for anything approaching mainstream level.

More to the point. Is the story still weird and dark as shit?

Boney

Banned
Some of you guys are outperfoming Micheal.

Also, when people say "put PSP out of it's misery", it's not stupid at all. Sony could opt for stable sales with low profit margins, or launch a new console, which hopefully, will attract lot's of costumers, even though profits won't come day one.

Both are sensible options. And it's not like Sony hasn't done anything, they released the GO
that counts right?[/spoilers]

greepoman said:
What kind of idiot uses what happens in the past to support current and future events? It's dark outside right now so I have to assume that the sun was destroyed :lol :lol
This is fucking insulting.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I've blinded myself from everything S&P2 related(doubly so for SMG2) but if it's anything like S&P1 it's going to be a very difficult sale for anything approaching mainstream level.

More to the point. Is the story still weird and dark as shit?

It's surprisingly less dark and melodramatic. It's become less about a post-apocalyptic world and more about
protecting the girl
, which is a little more mainstream of a theme.

I think it could hit the market spot Star Fox usually hits if marketed correctly. I mean the action spot, not the furry fanart spot.

PSP has been an utter disaster for some time, this is nothing new.

Low sales for the PS3/360. The PS3 has yet to show any momentum despite some big games coming out. 360 seems like it's in solid second place right now. Wii declining, but still on top.

DS is still the DS

ZAK

justchris said:
And seriously, I'd be surprised if there were any marketing for it at all beyond maybe the Nintendo channel and the Club Nintendo emails. It has 'sent to die' written all over it.
At least it was sent, mirite?

I'm going to shoot wildly and say S&P2 will be a surprise hit and sell 100,000 units first month.

The likely truth will be somewhere in the 20-25,000 LTD area.

wizword

Banned
It isn't sensible for sony to maintain psp. It seems like a psp 2 even if it wasn't a dramatic graphic overhaul would obviously boost software, and hardware sales in the short term. People are uninterested in psp at this moment so they should push a new device so people become interested in their portable hardware again. It was illogical for them to put ghost of sparta on psp and not psp 2 though.

Boney

Banned
Oh I actually meant like right now. The best thing Sony can do is launch PSP2 this holiday. But I'm not sure it's ready yet.

Sony can't kill off the PSP. They already said it would have a 10 year life just like all Playstation products. The PSP can't break the cycle!!!

Regulus Tera said:

• It's fifty bucks.

Wait for the inevitable "I'd buy it, but it's not very long" from GAF, then the whining from the same people that it did not sell well.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
OldJadedGamer said:
Sony can't kill off the PSP. They already said it would have a 10 year life just like all Playstation products. The PSP can't break the cycle!!!
10 year life cycle = they're shipping it to 3rd world countries 10 years later

Gaborn

GraveRobberX said:

Two basic problems with the PSP. As already noted Sony has lost a HUGE amount of money. Also worth noting, slow growth in user base indicates a probable slower growth in software sales, on balance a new user of a gaming system is more likely to purchase games and more OF them than a long established user. So, even if it's not necessarily a good idea to outright kill the PSP it probably makes sense for Sony to start focusing it's efforts on a new handheld to hopefully generate buzz, generate more sales, and generate new interest in software sales which is always where the real money is at since console makers (with the exception of Nintendo) sell their systems generally at a loss.

VerTiGo

Banned
Despite Nintendo's dominance in the top 10, they should start pushing a player's choice line to encourage sales Excitebots, Punchout, WarioLand, etc... Honestly, best thing in general would be to drop the 50 dollar entry price to their new releases to 40 by the time of the holiday season, because then the Wii's consumer value would be in a better position, despite MS and Sony motion control competitors. Def not gonna happen though, but in a better world... maybe.

It's a good thing I'm buying Sin and Punishment 2 at launch. I'll need something that totally awesome to cheer me up after I see its sales numbers.

justchris

Regulus Tera said:
It's surprisingly less dark and melodramatic. It's become less about a post-apocalyptic world and more about
protecting the girl
, which is a little more mainstream of a theme.

A clever marketer could really do something with that if he had a budget.

I think it could hit the market spot Star Fox usually hits if marketed correctly. I mean the action spot, not the furry fanart spot.

That can only help it's sales.

ZAK said:
At least it was sent, mirite?

True, which is more than we can say for Soma Bringer.

GraveRobberX said:

Seriously, I can't stand it when people without even the faintest tenuous grasp of economics attempt to read too much into sales figures.

GraveRobberX said:

5ygqvq.jpg

Ecotic

Dang, awful numbers.

I think a part of what's brought the numbers down in '09 and '10 is the extended hardware cycle. All current generation systems are between 4 and 6 years old, and yet all the companies are still milking the consumers like the generation just began.

The PS3 is still $300, a new controller will cost you $50, and hell, the DS has actually increased in price through the years.

I mean, it's gotten harder to bring the prices down with all the bells and whistles of current consoles, handhelds, and high budget games. At this stage in the last generation, the Greatest Hits, Platinum Hits, and Player's Choice titles dominated the shelves. Not so anymore.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Skiesofwonder said:
I don't think you guys understand, Monster Hunter Tri had the following:
  • Free Demo at every Gamestop around the country
  • Bundled with Classic Controller Pro
  • Huge (and very good I might add) TV and Print Advertising Campaign
  • Part of a major franchise (well mostly Japan only but still...)
  • Tons of spots on the Nintendo Channel
  • Only major Wii Release of April
  • Large amount of hype among the Wii hardcore
  • Great graphics
  • Free online and Wii Speak support
  • Positive reviews
  • Backed by Nintendo

If Monster Hunter Tri numbers are released and they are below 100k, then it was a complete and utter disappointment in NA. Anybody saying otherwise is an idiot or a delusional fanboy.

Gamer @ Heart said:
You're an idiot. It doesnt matter what outside factors come into play, you have to looks at the game first and foremost. Tri is as hardcore of a game as you can get. Its super Niche as every MH's prior sales show. Capcom was generous with 500k, outside of Japan. If tri even gets near 1/6 of that estimate in its first two weeks on sale, its as good as we should have expected and hoped for.

It is no bomb.

First of all, I never said MHTri was a bomb. Japan sales alone have made MHTri a success. Instead I only said if it were to sell under 100k in NA it would be a huge disappointment in NA.

But let's look at another "as hardcore of a game as you can get", Demon Souls.

Did Demon Soul's have any advertising campaign whatsoever? No
Was Demon Soul's apart of a big name franchise? No
Was Demon Soul's the only big game release for the PS3 in it's first month? No (just some title called Uncharted 2 was released alongside Ratchet: ACiT, GTA:EFLC, NBA 2K10, and Brutal Legend)
Did anybody besides the hardcore know of or have any way of knowing about Demon Souls? No

Demon Soul's first month: >150k
PS3 Units in America: 12.26M

But yet you say that MHTri (a well known franchise title with a huge advertising campaign and major backing by Nintendo) could of sold around 80k in its first month on a console that has sold over 28M units in America (more then double the PS3) and that is as good as we should of ever hoped for?

:lol

Though I do excuse you Gamer @ Heart for your opinion because I know your overwhelming love for the MH series is what is driving your delusional ways.

125k units sold is an okay, maybe good number depending on how you view the Wii market. I'm personally going to hold my final opinion off until I see another month or two of sales. But, I am rather optimistic right now. Hopefully MHTri will have long legs like other quality Wii titles have shown.

wizword said:
It isn't sensible for sony to maintain psp. It seems like a psp 2 even if it wasn't a dramatic graphic overhaul would obviously boost software, and hardware sales in the short term. People are uninterested in psp at this moment so they should push a new device so people become interested in their portable hardware again. It was illogical for them to put ghost of sparta on psp and not psp 2 though.

The thing is its doing well in japan isnt it, some people are so short sighted on npd threads kill this kill that even though its doing ok in other parts of the world.:lol

VegaShinra

I wanted to see the usual Aaron Greenburg on NPD data. I guess it sucked so much he doesn't even want to comment on it through Twitter.

Top Bottom