• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling]

So if 6 months ago I told you Infamous would be outselling Titanfall (on next gen) you would say duh?

I would have told you the Playstation 4 has a larger install base and there's no reason that Infamous shouldn't outsell Titanfall on Xbox One when it has about 3 million more potential customers to sell too.

Especially with Titanfall being bundled and neither game having any competition around launch, so anyone who wanted to buy a "good" game for their new console would attach to both games.

AND inFamous outsold Titanfall in its second month? This is a straight thrubbing. The media hyped up Titanfall as the literal next coming of jesus, and the results are clear. They were marketing straight up for an 8.0 game whose balance issues and stability issues made tens of thousands of TF gamers leave its ecosystem already. Even if they genuinely felt the way they did about its quality, the articles and defense they ran for Microsoft whenever they analyzed its upcoming impact deserve serious scrutiny.

The systems issues are far deeper than just its price.

It's boring after a few weeks in my opinion (TitanFall), I got the season pass and I regret not giving it to a friend or someone on here who loves the game.

I'm confused. So did Second Son outsell TitanFall or not? On one hand, it didn't chart. On the other, people are saying it sold better.

WUT?

RiggyRob

May could very well be worse than April for XB1, especially with the new SKU coming in June. Wii U above xbone in May actually seems almost likely, no?

I honestly don't know, Mario Kart doesn't come out until the end of May.

I'm confused. So did Second Son outsell TitanFall or not? On one hand, it didn't chart. On the other, people are saying it sold better.

WUT?

Infamous outsold Titanfall on the X1, but not Titanfall on the X360 and the X1 combined.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
We need to know if PS4 at 200k is real. That wouldn't be that good, guys.

For 3DS: ...eh, One actually sold around what 3DS did in the last two Aprils. If it did the same this year, it'd be flat YOY. Unfortunately, I think it's lower than that. Around 85,000 - 90,000...100,000 if something strange happened.

Kandinsky

Mang Nintendo was so smart launching Mario Kart in May, that way it wont get overshined by that sales behemoth called Infamous.

He's talking about NPD not counting digital sales (via PSN store and XBL), just FYI.

"The NPD Group’s total US numbers are based on reports from around 60 percent of US retailers."

That quote from NPD mentioned USA physical retail being only 60% accurate for NPD.

He mentioned USA physical retail being only 60% accurate for NPD.

That's not true. It's 90-95% now.

Foshy

If it did then Sony should provide some numbers instead of giving them to some random guy on Twitter. (I know he's trusted by some of you.)

Because honestly this seems like damage control to cover for the fact that ISS dropped completely off the map.

I have a feeling that I should post a time stamped pic of my copy of the game along with an image of me kissing my PS4 otherwise I'm going to be met with pitchforks and torches for making this statement. :)
I'm not sure what you're trying to get at, honestly.

WUT?

I understand it as

Infamous > TF X1 for April

But overall, it's likely still behind. This means TF X1 collapses and inFamous had a better hold. I could see it having good legs.

Eusis

Wonder what the exact PS4 numbers are then, now that we know the 360's historical numbers? Would possibly make it clearer whether it's a full on curb stomp or if consoles were really frontloaded this time which may or may not be a long term problem.

Guys looking at IGN, regarding Infamous falling off the charts, apparently if software sales were counted on a SKU basis-tabulated per console and not combined, InFAMOUS would chart along with stuff like Yoshi's New Island Adventure and MLB The show.

I doubt Infamous had a catastrophic fall in sales

So how long before NPD starts providing digital sales numbers? And how would that work? Would they have to partner with the various content providers? Would they simply provide estimates?

They already do, just not to us, nor publicly. You can dig around if you want to see what they've said about their methodology.

I would have told you the Playstation 4 has a larger install base and there's no reason that Infamous shouldn't outsell Titanfall on Xbox One when it has about 3 million more potential customers to sell too.

Especially with Titanfall being bundled and neither game having any competition around launch, so anyone who wanted to buy a "good" game for their new console would attach to both games.

Problem is, you wouldn't have told us 6 months ago that the PS4 will have a larger install base. You would have likely said the exact opposite...

via Jeff Grubb

BntlMmKCYAEthhc.jpg:large

When did Sony announce the 7 mil figure? This says they are still around that figure. Guess their sales slowed too. Supply must have caught up to demand.

Curufinwe

So NPD covers retail, Do we have a proper metric of DIGITAL Sales?

No, only the platform holders do for their own platforms, and they don't have any reason to turn all that information over to anyone.

Why people are still surprised by this simple fact is beyond me.

Handy Fake

"PS4 software combined with Xbox One software sales are up over 40 percent compared to sales of the PS3 and Xbox 360 through their first six months" -NPD

Shouldn't be able to get aprox. PS4 numbers given the facts above?
am bad at math >.<

THIS THIS THIS ^.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I can't believe this.

I can't.

In the first month, maybe I could. But a month after launch? Titanfall should have better legs as a MP game, goddamn.
Killzone Shadowfall has sold over three million copies worldwide and the MP is close to dead. People either want to play TDM in every mode in COD, or camp as a sniper in Battlefield. That's it. I think Bungie is being extremely smart in focusing on campaign and co-op for the Destiny marketing so far.

NotLiquid

Oh wow, I didn't even notice that the Kinect-less Xbox was slated for June.

That sounds... backwards. Why didn't Microsoft announce this only weeks before the drop? Won't this harm sales immensely this month?

Paganmoon

I can see June numbers (in July) being first time in months that X1 outsells the PS4. Consider the low sales it'll have in the May numbers (in June), those would be sales will shift to June, and the price drop will boost sales as well.

PS4 got TLOU planned for summer (nothing else major comes to mind), but not sure if it'll really be a systemseller. So I could see X1 taking June NPD.

CLEEK

It is when the 360 wiped the floor with the PS3 for years in the US.

The only reason the PS4 is selling so well is due to the PS3 being awful. Everyone who owned one is ditching it ASAP to buy the next gen Playstation. Once the PS3 owners have all migrated, the PS4 sales will fall off a cliff.

I've seen the data points that prove this.

Xpliskin

PS4 still top-selling
X1 ~111k
what.gif

That explains the price drop and early announcement, I was sure April numbers were awful

Yes they did.

Here you go:

What is the source for all this data, aside from yourself?

See, the reason I don't believe you is that I posed as the product buyer for a certain company for many, many years. (With his blessing.) I actually still get his mail. Because of my own personal experience I cannot believe you unless you provide a source that backs your numbers. Please do not take this personally. I want you to know that I have a professional interest in knowing the truth here, and that's why I keep asking question.

I also think your numbers are really high, and that you are assuming that only the big box stores matter and that they make up "%95" of the NA market, which they do not.

Thanks for your reply. This is why I come to GAF. To learn.

Proponent

Banned
No way XB1 is doing better then 360 at this stage. 360's were impossible to find the first six months! They always sold out.

It was pumping much healthier npd numbers.

And does no one have Infamous ltd sales?

Is there an NPD software chart that is not all-format? It would be interesting to see the sales differences on every platform, particularly if Infamous: Second Son did outsell Titanfall on the XBO.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Until you factor in two things.

The US is Microsoft's primary market and has been since their first console.

Playstation is outselling Xbox something like 3 or 4 to 1 in Europe.
Of course. MS has faultered and are below expectations no doubt. Dont forget to factor in price, a cheaper alternative, etc. IJS, lets not make it out to seem like the PS4 is blowing it out the water monthly like 360 was to PS3 in its first year. Not yet anyway lol.

Top Bottom