• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling]

sense

The only reason the PS4 is selling so well is due to the PS3 being awful. Everyone who owned one is ditching it ASAP to buy the next gen Playstation. Once the PS3 owners have all migrated, the PS4 sales will fall off a cliff.

I've seen the data points that prove this.

o jeez is that you yusuf?

or are you trying to make fun of him. i can't tell who is joking and who is serious anymore!!!!!

Kriken

Microsoft really needs a boost with those numbers. I'd recommend unbundling the Kinect, dropping the price a hundred, and moving apps outside the paywall.

Nah, that'd never work. And even if they tried, it get maybe a thread of 100, maybe 200 replies on GAF and then be forgotten until they actually implemented it

Eusis

No way XB1 is doing better then 360 at this stage. 360's were impossible to find the first six months! They always sold out.

It was pumping much healthier npd numbers.

And does no one have Infamous ltd sales?
The one shot of light for XB1 is that maybe 360 WOULD be similar had supply been as ample at the start, whether or not those yield problem rumors were true it IS undeniable Foxconn can roll out crazy high numbers of hardware. The 360 stayed supply constrained for quite awhile so maybe it was just spread out over a larger period.

Still, 360 had both CoD2 (not the mega hit CoD4 onwards would be, but still reasonably popular) and Oblivion at this point, so I think the 360 was better positioned for a variety of tastes, and with key next-gen console exclusive then rather than stuff that was also on OG Xbox/PS2.

jelly

Microsoft better hope price parity is enough to compete. I'm starting to think from first reactions, people still think Xbox One isn't hitting the right mark. They don't want to suffer weak sales for many months ahead going into the fall then desperately dropping the price.

There is uncertainty and consumers might continue to ignore Xbox One until the price drops further or go with PS4.

E3 might need to be the best showing ever to get momentum back.

allan-bh

Titanfall sold ~1.1m on Xbox One alone in march.

People should stop talking like the game was a failure. At least in US is not.

With them announcing a Kinect-less SKU just a little bit before these numbers, and Kinect being a huge part of their overall vision of the console, I'm beginning to think a lot more is going to change and be done apart from simply separating the Kinect from the console. Games should obviously be a huge focus, but if they're going to distance the Kinect from the console more and more which seems likely considering that it just doesn't seem to be working out for them, again, I can see some major changes coming to the console.

Perhaps some of these games?

TWLp7Cp.jpg

Can't be. I'm not playing any of those games.

pswii60

Infamous SS didn't chart? What the hell are the PS4 users playing? Twitch Plays Pokemon?
Outside of NeoGAF, multiplatform games exist. You may have noticed them in the DigitalFoundry face-offs?
So they were averaging 1 million a month. Seems to have slowed down then. E3 will perk it up again.
E3 won't perk it up. Consoles always perform like shit throughout the Summer, whilst Nintendo handhelds often shine.
Back to normal in September though.

Animator

There is pretty much zero reason to own a xbone or ps4 at this point in time imho. I am as consumer whore as it gets when it comes to tech and even I can't find a reason to pick up one of the new consoles every time I go to the electronics store and both consoles are readily available.

Hopefully both sony and MS will bring their A game to E3 and announce a ton of original games. And I hope Microsoft learned the lesson that nobody gives a fuck about their TVTVTVTVTV features,

Gestault

Perhaps some of these games?

TWLp7Cp.jpg

As much as I think it was a dumb claim to make for the sake of PR, that chart is showing a lot of people still happy with their 360s as a primary game system. Considering the length of the previous generation, I'm a little surprised.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Would love to see the WiiU get a bit of a boost. Then, with another xbox one drop and mario kart shifting a few numbers?

Well could make things at least a little interesting....

I can't see how. Did any games release for it in April?

Foshy

Doubtful mainly because of the Titanfall Xbox One bundle and how quietly the 360 version launched.
That's what I'm thinking too but I wouldn't have expected many of the other things happening this month, so anything's possible I guess. Curious for numbers.

Eusis

Its not a failure but it's not the greatest game ever like it was hyped to be. Expectations were was to high.
Yeah, I think for what they were realistically going for it was probably a success, but the hype machine made it out to be almost like the Xbox One's Super Mario 64 or Wii Sports, and that's definitely not the case.

Just to give a better perspective

March (5 weeks) - 311,000 units sold -->62,200 units per week
April (4 weeks) - 115,000 units sold -->28,750 units per week

Wow that is pretty eye opening....Good thing Microsoft is listening to fans and giving more choices to their fans....The price drop has got to help right?

Blame Sony for that. I believe they were the ones that wanted it nixed after the PS3 was always absent on the list last gen. (Or was it publishers, since it was EA dominated or some shit?)

Oh, okay. That's a shame. It would've been really interesting to see. Good thing Chart-Trak still does that in the UK. Either way, Titanfall seems like it didn't move as much XBOs as MS would've hoped.

Ian sherr posted this on twitter @bill_at_zeboyd But, if you took Next-gen only, @playstation says "inFAMOUS Second Son was the top selling next gen software title in April"

Thanks for posting this! Now we know Infamous sales were not abysmal for April. I mean it outsold Titanfall on the bone, not counting other titles like Lego, Ghost and AC for next gen. Sucker Punch should be proud!

Top Bottom