• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2007

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
bdoughty said:
Also notice only one version (360) of Tiger Woods is on the list at #20.

.[/I]

Without knowing where Tiger Woods Wii ended up, I wouldn't be so quick to trumpet that. The title was only out for 3 days. Not to mention that the Wii version has already overtaken the 360 version in the U.K.

traveler

Not Wario
J-Rzez said:
What? It's going to take games like Uncharted and Rachet to make people think, "well, GHIII and ACreed are awesome and I can get it on PS3 and 360, but which machine to get? Lemme look at the titles you can't get on both and compare"... Not everyone likes Halo, nor, will like ME and want something different... That's where these titles come in, along with GT5:p... They need to turn out good... Rachet and Uncharted hold more than their own when put side by side with other games graphically (which matters to a lot of people), it's going to come down to how they turn out, and if they turn out great, how bad media outlets like EGM and 1up fuck them in the reviews...

Why the hell did you drag this into here? They just gave HS and Warhawk pretty dern good scores; what makes you think they won't do the same for R&C and Uncharted (Which both, IMO, look to be better than HS) if those two turn out well?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
siamesedreamer said:
I keep hearing this, but come on...the chance that those two games actually come out in the Spring instead of the Fall is almost zero.

MGS4 is out this spring, but Killzone is definitly fall 08.

bdoughty

Banned
schuelma said:
Without knowing where Tiger Woods Wii ended up, I wouldn't be so quick to trumpet that. The title was only out for 3 days. Not to mention that the Wii version has already overtaken the 360 version in the U.K.

Yes, and have we not discussed the fact this is YEAR 2? I can only beat you over the head with that reality for so long.

Same game - same waggle - same sales? Nope! I give Wii owners credit for being smarter then that (helps that most of you do not care for sports games alos).

You just keep preparing up those excuses for next months NPD.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
hello thar I'm the PS3. Go ahead, break a chair on me.

breakachaironme.gif

or not

Culex said:
Waiting from now until "Spring 2008" is quite the extended lull in software, wouldn't you say? There's no good reason to expect that MGS4 or Killzone 2 will make their projected ship dates either.

The only thing I can see happening is that for the bloated sales period of Nov/Dec, the PS3 garners respectable sales, given it's name branding and that carries it somehow for 3 months until the real software arrives.

Oh, I'm not saying wait until Spring, trying to portray hope. I'm saying that they have absolutely no shot until then. If those titles don't hit, then can they actually ride out 2 years of bad sales? I don't think even the most pro Sony would say so.

As I said, it may well be over. My only point is that there is nothing in the next months that looks to be able to change anything postively for Sony. At least enough to matter in the big scheme. Sales will go up over the holidays and Ratchet & Uncharted will do well enough, but overall, they'll continue to fall bendind.

schuelma

Top 20 console only list:

1. Madden NFL 08 - Xbox 360 (Electronic Arts)
2. Madden NFL 08 - PS2 (Electronic Arts)
3. Bioshock - Xbox 360 (2K Games)
4. Madden NFL 08 - PS3 (Electronic Arts)
5. Wii Play - Wii (Nintendo)
6. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Wii (Nintendo)
7. Mario Strikers: Charged - Wii (Nintendo)
8. Guitar Hero 2 W/Guitar - PS2 (Red Octane) (Activision)
9. Mario Party 8 - Wii (Nintendo)
10. Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks The 80s - PS2 (Red Octane)
11. Madden NFL 08 - Xbox (Electronic Arts)
12. Madden NFL 08 - Wii (Electronic Arts)
13. Two Worlds - Xbox 360 (Southpeak Interactive)
14. Guitar Hero 2 W/ Guitar - Xbox 360 (Red Octane)
15. Tiger Woods Pga Tour 08 - Xbox 360 (Electronic Arts)
16. Boogie - Wii (Electronic Arts)
17. NCAA Football 08 - PS2 (Electronic Arts)
18. Warhawk - PS3 (Sony)
19. Ncaa Football 08 - Xbox 360 (Electronic Arts)
20. Resident Evil 4 - Wii (Capcom) :D :D :D

http://psp.ign.com/articles/820/820124p1.html

schuelma

bdoughty said:
Yes, and have we not discussed the fact this is YEAR 2? I can only beat you over the head with that reality for so long.

Same game - same waggle - same sales? Nope! I give Wii owners credit for being smarter then that (helps that most of you do not care for sports games alos).

All I'm saying is you should probably wait until you get more data, especially considering that in another major territory the Wii version has already overtaken the 360 version.

Also..be honest- you are telling me the fact that 07 came out for the Wii 5 months ago and is still selling well doesn't have play any role?

J-Rzez

Oblivion said:
Because the 'big' franchises coming out for Gamecube didn't make a lick of difference when they came out. I don't see why it would be any different at this point for PS3.

The Gamecube came after a bad gen for Ninty... They also didn't have the same 3rd party support to help them out, Sony isn't losing 3rd party franchises... And, the core Ninty audience was all that was basically left outside of ultra-hardcore-buy-it-all gamers...

Sony's prior sales is over 120million units sold to users... There's a lot of people out there that bought into Sony's machine repeatedly after 2 gens... There's also a high amount of sales STILL going on with the PS2... Sony needs to get the titles that their fans love out there to get them to move on... There's no FF, no MGS, no GT, no Socom, no rachet, no KZ, no GoW, no KH, no SO, no etc yet... There's a lot more million selling franchises out there that didn't hit yet... And, the only 1 hitting soon is Rachet... Unreal "may" end up pulling some sales... If Socom hits, that'll be big... If the fans get confused over GT5:p thinking it's the final product, or it's justified as one, it'll impact...

Sony's sales will pick up once these titles hit, there's not a doubt in my mind... It's just a ways off yet... They also need to have a great TGS for the media to pick up on and show off what's on the way to generate some hype...

traveler said:
Why the hell did you drag this into here? They just gave HS and Warhawk pretty dern good scores; what makes you think they won't do the same for R&C and Uncharted (Which both, IMO, look to be better than HS) if those two turn out well?

After the warhawk debacle, I have very little respect left for them since apparently Shadowrun didn't receive the same, if not, worse fate with it's pricing and situation... Also, it's just a gut feeling... And it's not only them, the media itself is not really on Sony's side... Granted, this "may" change with the big titles, but, the media tends to shift on the side of the market leaders a bit...

Evlar

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Oh, I'm not saying wait until Spring, trying to portray hope. I'm saying that they have absolutely no shot until then. If those titles don't hit, then can they actually ride out 2 years of bad sales? I don't think even the most pro Sony would say so.

As I said, it may well be over. My only point is that there is nothing in the next months that looks to be able to change anything postively for Sony. At least enough to matter in the big scheme. Sales will go up over the holidays and Ratchet & Uncharted will do well enough, but overall, they'll continue to fall bendind.
In summary, there's nothing that could be said next month that couldn't be said now.

Threi

notag
schuelma said:

18. Warhawk - PS3 (Sony)

More Wii titles than X360 titles?

The plot thickens...

Wii has passed 4 million in 10 months. Past systems passed 4 million in...
PS2: 11 months
Xbox: 14 months
X360: 14 months
GCN: 19 months

PS3 has passed 1.7 million in 10 months. Past systems passed 1.7 million in...
Wii: 4 months
Xbox: 5 months
PS2: 6 months
X360: 7 months
GCN: 8 months

After July, the Wii:pS3 ratio was 2.25:1. After August, it is 2.31:1.

I was one of those thinking Wii Madden would beat PS3 Madden due to the performance of last year's game and Wii's hardware lead. Obviously, I was wrong.
Branduil said:
So will the Wii be the first console since the SNES to do extremely well in the US without a strong EA Sports presence?
Well, the EA Sports presence will surely be there; it just may not be as dominant relative to everything else.
Son of Godzilla said:
Obviously not, but if every multi-platform release sells poorest on the Wii what exactly is the incentive to even make a non-rush job Wii release?
There wouldn't be much incentive. However, it's not the case.
squatingyeti said:
So, why do people keep saying the PS3 is doing better than the 360 was at this time of it's launch?
Those people are still living in January.

beerbelly

Banned
What's next for X360? Halo 3, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Project Gotham 4...that's all for this year that's considered 'good or great' for it?

jonabbey

speculawyer said:
Uh . . . I think a less than $300 non-PS3 Blu-Ray player would be a bad idea . . . some of the PS3s sold are probably sold primarily to play Blu-Rays. :lol

I don't think advertising is much of an issue. People know it is out there.

It's more important that Blu-Ray compete effectively with HD-DVD on pricing than it is that PS3 be the lowest cost Blu-Ray player. If Blu-Ray is the predominant next-gen DVD standard, the Blu-Ray drive on the PS3 acts as a continual benefit to PS3 sales. If HD-DVD takes off in sales on the strength of low-cost players this year and next, PS3 will be hurting from both directions.

$399 for PS3 as it is currently configured (modulo whatever hard drive size) is a great deal on the hardware side.. Sony can sell them on that, and start building up a significant library of content in both directions. They don't need to chase down the Blu-Ray market to $300.

And advertising is absolutely an issue. Network effects-driven markets like consoles are very tippy, and when every ad for Madden 08 is followed up by 'Jump In!', the PS3 is hurt by that..

Mind share means convincing potential buyers that the console is a lively, important, viable and thriving console. The PS3 is suffering on GAF so much in part because of threads like this one, and sales figures that show that the PS3 mighht be safely ignored in terms of market share.

Sony has to counteract that idea in the buying public at all costs. Advertising is a very big part of that.

J-Rzez said:
What? It's going to take games like Uncharted and Rachet to make people think, "well, GHIII and ACreed are awesome and I can get it on PS3 and 360, but which machine to get? Lemme look at the titles you can't get on both and compare"... Not everyone likes Halo, nor, will like ME and want something different... That's where these titles come in, along with GT5:p... They need to turn out good... Rachet and Uncharted hold more than their own when put side by side with other games graphically (which matters to a lot of people), it's going to come down to how they turn out, and if they turn out great, how bad media outlets like EGM and 1up fuck them in the reviews...

What? No, I mean at this point with the userbase it has, Sony needed a much emptier playing field to get Uncharted or Ratchet to stand out and it doesn't. There's a vast array of games appealing to all kinds of people that are available on both platforms (Simpsons, Rock Band, Assassins, etc). And we all know how those turn out for PS3.

bdoughty said:

I can pretty much confirm to him that I don't give one flying fuck about sports games unless they feature Mario.

Though giving me some in with the system has me hopeful for future tennis games, though bowling can never be improved.

I'm still laughing a little bit about those Madden sales, but it's pretty much ended.

I really think we are going to get an American market in the vein of the 16-bit generation. Two extremely close consoles, fluctuating between market leadership, and second later on. It'll be fun to see all the blow ups over it. Split market as you get everything you could want with both.

Wii60 America... I'm damn near certain.

bdoughty

Banned
schuelma said:
All I'm saying is you should probably wait until you get more data, especially considering that in another major territory the Wii version has already overtaken the 360 version.

Also..be honest- you are telling me the fact that 07 came out for the Wii 5 months ago and is still selling well doesn't have play any role?

I am sure it will but the fact that people do not want to play sports games with graphics that look five years old will factor in too. Or of they do they will play it on the PS2 (see Madden 08 sales figures).

For many people with the wii they can be happy owning only one of each sports game throughout the consoles lifespan.

beerbelly said:
What's next for X360? Halo 3, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Project Gotham 4...that's all for this year that's considered 'good or great' for it?

Well, if you're including non-exclusives or defacto PS3-delay exclusives, don't forget skate., Rock Band, and Orange Box. Also, The Simpsons Game is a dark horse if they release the Movie DVD this Christmas.

TheKurgan

sonycowboy said:

I agree. I am really surpised the PS3 isn't selling much better given the brand name alone. But the 360 is killing the PS3 in NA for the Hardcore/HD audience and the Wii is killing it in Japan and NA. Tough spot to be in. I really think they have to go price parity with the 360, take the massive losses and save the Playstation brand.

Evlar

Banned
beerbelly said:
Orange Box, Trusty Bell/Eternal Sonata... I'm sure I'm forgetting something...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
sonycowboy said:

It's not "over", it's just not reversible outside of Japan. Any Japanese game like RE5, MH3, GT5, FF, etc., are not gonna sell on the 360 in Japan, they'll sell on the PS3. And the 360's success outside Japan just guarantees we'll see more of them, but going multiplatform.

The loss of exclusive Japanese games is not hurting Sony, in Japan, and they'll just keep on trailing behind the 360 outside Japan for the rest of this generation. But Japan is basically their life support.

J-Rzez

BenjaminBirdie said:
What? No, I mean at this point with the userbase it has, Sony needed a much emptier playing field to get Uncharted or Ratchet to stand out and it doesn't. There's a vast array of games appealing to all kinds of people that are available on both platforms (Simpsons, Rock Band, Assassins, etc). And we all know how those turn out for PS3.

Don't count out Rachet and especially Uncharted... Rachet looks unbelieveable and it's one of the provens... And, who's to say Uncharted may not end up actual GOTY material and outshine everything else out there... It's a fresh new IP that has all the elements to break through... Those 2 titles hold their own, and, outshine a lot of the others we're seeing this fall...

traveler

Not Wario
J-Rzez said:
The Gamecube came after a bad gen for Ninty... They also didn't have the same 3rd party support to help them out, Sony isn't losing 3rd party franchises... And, the core Ninty audience was all that was basically left outside of ultra-hardcore-buy-it-all gamers...

Sony's prior sales is over 120million units sold to users... There's a lot of people out there that bought into Sony's machine repeatedly after 2 gens... There's also a high amount of sales STILL going on with the PS2... Sony needs to get the titles that their fans love out there to get them to move on... There's no FF, no MGS, no GT, no Socom, no rachet, no KZ, no GoW, no KH, no SO, no etc yet... There's a lot more million selling franchises out there that didn't hit yet... And, the only 1 hitting soon is Rachet... Unreal "may" end up pulling some sales... If Socom hits, that'll be big... If the fans get confused over GT5:p thinking it's the final product, or it's justified as one, it'll impact...

Sony's sales will pick up once these titles hit, there's not a doubt in my mind... It's just a ways off yet... They also need to have a great TGS for the media to pick up on and show off what's on the way to generate some hype...

After the warhawk debacle, I have very little respect left for them since apparently Shadowrun didn't receive the same, if not, worse fate with it's pricing and situation... Also, it's just a gut feeling... And it's not only them, the media itself is not really on Sony's side... Granted, this "may" change with the big titles, but, the media tends to shift on the side of the market leaders a bit...

Debacle? Warhawk recieved a higher score than Shadowrun for crying out loud! :lol

Rhindle

I guess I'm the only person in this thread who thinks the PS3 numbers are actually quite impressive. Less than a 20% drop-off the month after a price cut is very good performance. I was expecting a drop closer to the 100K mark.

Perhaps fear of the 60GB version selling out is helping drive sales. Regardless, if they can keep sales above 100K for the next two months and limp their way into the holiday months, they'll at least survive the year without anyone writing off the platform.

I also think the fall in Wii sales is interesting. August was really the first month that Wiis were relatively easy to find, so this appears to indicate that the pent-up demand backlog is close to being satisfied.

If that's the case, we'll finally find out in the next few months what the sustainable sales levels for Wii really are.

TheKurgan said:
I agree. I am really surpised the PS3 isn't selling much better given the brand name alone. But the 360 is killing the PS3 in NA for the Hardcore/HD audience and the Wii is killing it in Japan and NA. Tough spot to be in. I really think they have to go price parity with the 360, take the massive losses and save the Playstation brand.

I think they'd be better off sitting it out and getting the PSNext ready to 360 the 720 and come out a year before it.

.dmc

Banned
bdoughty said:
Go buy a copy of Madden. Oh wait you own a Wii.

Make that the smug-gittiness of 100,000 Ace Rimmer's..

My only problem with your 'Nintendo gamers don't buy yearly updates' is your assumption that there is a 'Nintendo gamer' when the Wii is clearly being bought by 'casual gamers'

Dartastic

Subarushian said:
So if its inevitable, why would it be unfair to say the PS3 is finished now?

And by "finished" I mean GCN-style, not completely dead.

Because it still has a few months, and I don't wanna call it prematurely. It still has a chance. I however, think that this "chance" is non-existant, hence my previous statements. Something stupidly miraculous might happen. If you call the PS3 "dead" after the holiday buying rush when it still doesn't crack half of what the 360/Wii are selling in the heat of November/December... Then it's safe to call it dead.

Edit- Blu-Ray. Savior of PS3? Maybe.

beerbelly

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Well, if you're including non-exclusives or defacto PS3-delay exclusives, don't forget skate., Rock Band, and Orange Box. Also, The Simpsons Game is a dark horse if they release the Movie DVD this Christmas.

Ahh thank you. No doubt Lost Odyssey and Splinter Cell Conviction delays have made the list seem a little thin. Still great :D

mr stroke said:
ya pretty sad, I hope this doesn't mean that JRPGS's on XBOX are over :(
I just can't imagine any developers making XBOX exclusive JRPG's since they are selling at all :(

Why is it sad? That is sales for 2 days.. Blue Dragon was out in the 28th..

knitoe

TheKurgan said:

Once again, this clearly shows brand name means little for a new console sales after launch. Pricing and having tons of good games are the key. Sony always had those advantage with PS1 & PS2. The times have changed.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
schuelma said:

18. Warhawk - PS3 (Sony)

What are these lies?

3rd party games on a top 20 sheet on a Nintendo console???

>_<

felipeko

.dmc said:

My only problem with your 'Nintendo gamers don't buy yearly updates' is your assumption that there is a 'Nintendo gamer' when the Wii is clearly being bought by 'casual gamers'
That was my problem too :(
Look how i am now :(

Culex

Banned
Rhindle said:
I guess I'm the only person in this thread who thinks the PS3 numbers are actually quite impressive. Less than a 20% drop-off the month after a price cut is very good performance. I was expecting a drop closer to the 100K mark.

Perhaps fear of the 60GB version selling out is helping drive sales. Regardless, if they can keep sales above 100K for the next two months and limp their way into the holiday months, they'll at least survive the year without anyone writing off the platform.

I also think the fall in Wii sales is interesting. August was really the first month that Wiis were relatively easy to find, so this appears to indicate that the pent-up demand backlog is close to being satisfied.

If that's the case, we'll finally find out in the next few months what the sustainable sales levels for Wii really are.

I'd agree that for a non-holiday point, 400k is about the max for the Wii. I would also expect that for the September NPD, sales will be closer to 375k, possibly lower (probably being outsold by the Xbox360).

However, if any system has the chance to be king this winter, it's the Wii, no questions asked.

bdoughty

Banned
.dmc said:

Clearly being bought by "casual gamers?" Fuck, now I have point at the numbers once agian to remind you that it sure looks like the Nintendo gamers of old.

You and others say "casual gamers" are why sports games sales will increase on Wii.
You see sales figures, ones that disprove your theory, ignore your comments above and still find away to stick "casual gamers" into you reply.
You can call it smug, I just call it being right.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
I think this generation is a gentle reminder to the industry that FUN GAMES SELL CONSOLES.

Hop to it, developers.

GameGamer

J-Rzez said:
Don't count out Rachet and especially Uncharted... Rachet looks unbelieveable and it's one of the provens... And, who's to say Uncharted may not end up actual GOTY material and outshine everything else out there... It's a fresh new IP that has all the elements to break through... Those 2 titles hold their own, and, outshine a lot of the others we're seeing this fall...

Who wrote that?

Top Bottom