• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2007

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
mysticstylez said:
Maybe I forgot how to read, but I don't see RE4 on this list.

Top 20 SKU's
360 MADDEN NFL 08 896.6K
PS2 MADDEN NFL 08 643.6K
360 BIOSHOCK 490.9K
PS3 MADDEN NFL 08 336.2K
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 256.8K
WII METROID PRIME 3: CORRUPTION 218.1K
WII MARIO STRIKERS: CHARGED 147.4K
PS2 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR 145.4K
WII MARIO PARTY 8 138.3K
PS2 GUITAR HERO ENCORE: ROCKS THE 80S 127.1K
XBX MADDEN NFL 08
WII MADDEN NFL 08
NDS BRAIN AGE 2: MORE TRAINING IN MINUTES A
360 TWO WORLDS
NDS POKEMON DIAMOND VERSION
NDS HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL: MAKIN THE CUT
360 GUITAR HERO 2 W/ GUITAR
PSP MADDEN NFL 08
NDS POKEMON PEARL VERSION
360 TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 08

The console only list

:D

http://psp.ign.com/articles/820/820124p1.html

eclipze

360 BIOSHOCK 490.9K

bioshockedbr4.gif

Bong!

VALIS

Absinthe said:
That's my thinking as well. It's going to be interesting. I kind of hope the Wii wins just so I can sit and watch this place implode. Epic doesn't even begin to describe the implications.

I would assume nearly everyone thinks the Wii will outsell the 360 in September.There's a remote chance it doesn't, but it likely will. Just because one or two people don't think so doesn't mean much.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Chiggs said:
Yes, and everybody who wants to play Halo 3 already has one. We've done our homework; the science is sound...Halo 3 will only have a minimal effect on hardware sales.

I used to agree with the notion, but not anymore. Halo 3 is going to sell to the hardcore, yes, but then those people's buddies are going to be all "WUTWUTWUT?! I WANT SOME HALO TOO! You guys are ALWAYS talking about it! WUTWUTWUT? You guys are playing online DEATHMATCHES?! TOGETHER?!?! And I'm not part of this FUN?!?! I'm getting Halo too!!"

And there, 360+Halo 3 copy sold.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Ether_Snake said:
I used to agree with the notion, but not anymore. Halo 3 is going to sell to the hardcore, yes, but then those people's buddies are going to be all "WUTWUTWUT?! I WANT SOME HALO TOO! You guys are ALWAYS talking about it! WUTWUTWUT? You guys are playing online DEATHMATCHES?! TOGETHER?!?! And I'm not part of this FUN?!?! I'm getting Halo too!!"

And there, 360+Halo 3 copy sold.

:D I'm actually buying a 360 tomorrow in anticipation of Halo 3. There's just no way I'm going without playing legendary co-op with my buddies.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
mysticstylez said:
It wouldn't have sold that well if it retailed for 50 bucks.

Jesus. Its a TWO YEAR OLD PORT WITH NO UPGRADES BESIDES NEW CONTROLS. It's doing absolutely amazing.

Absinthe said:
Because a ton of people here seem 100% confident that their savior, Halo 3, will rise from the depths and quash the almighty Wii. They're just waiting on the sidelines with a champagne bottle in hand so they can celebrate. It would be crushing.

:lol

I'd love to see the massive enclave of these people, so dense their number that it would cause GAF to implode.

Here's how it would really go down...

":lol
nice one m$ wii still kicked your bottoms"
What by like 50,000?"
"Uh, Halo 3 outsold the other four games in the top five, combined."

And continuing along with like 12 statements of rational observation to every 1 desperate attempt to paint the month as anything other than a victory for MS and Halo 3.

Seriously. Already in this thread you've got a bunch of people (me included) who believe Wii will outsell 360 next/this month. And GAF is still standing.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Chiggs said:
:D I'm actually buying a 360 tomorrow in anticipation of Halo 3. There's just no way I'm going without playing legendary co-op with my buddies.

And I'm sure there are a lot of people like you. It's why I bought WoW, and then gave up, and then came back for the expansion (and they gave up when they all quit!). Because my buddies were always talking about it and playing "together".

I think this is a concept that a lot of devs/publishers/hardware makers don't even understand yet (but MS and Blizzard got it for sure).

Philthy

I'd like to see the 360 get on top of the charts with Halo 3, but after expecting massive numbers after all the hype with Gears of War I wont be disappointed if the Wii still outsells the 360 that month.

Or maybe I underestimate the amount of Halo fans waiting to move over. I would think they would have already gone by now.

Chiggs

Gold Member
schuelma said:
Jesus. Its a TWO YEAR OLD PORT WITH NO UPGRADES BESIDES NEW CONTROLS. It's doing absolutely amazing.

Uh, this is definitely true. In fact, Wii RE4 is so amazing, Capcom now doesn't regret orginally launching the title on the Cube.

People continue to underestimate how many Halo 3 buyers don't own a 360 yet. I am telling you, 360s are going to get a significant boost in units sold for September because of Halo 3.

Hcoregamer00

BenjaminBirdie said:
Seriously. Already in this thread you've got a bunch of people (me included) who believe Wii will outsell 360 next/this month. And GAF is still standing.

You misunderstand, if the XBOX 360 is outsold by the Wii in Halo 3 month, that is something HUGE. There will be fire and brimstone.

Talamius said:
There's still a market for the PSP. It's not DS-sized, obviously, but the PSP has a pretty large WW installed base.

I think in '08 you're going to see Sony start to put a lot of marketing weight behind the PSP, putting the PS3 on the back burner until it shows some signs of life.
But PSP software is virtually non-existant.

eclipze

Ether_Snake said:
And I'm sure there are a lot of people like you. It's why I bought WoW, and then gave up, and then came back for the expansion (and they gave up when they all quit!). Because my buddies were always talking about it and playing "together".

I think this is a concept that a lot of devs/publishers/hardware makers don't even understand yet (but MS and Blizzard got it for sure).

They really upped the viral factor of Halo 3 by adding 4 player Co-op. No one can deny that.

I don't know how possible it might be for X360 to outsell Wii for the month, but I'd say that October/November/December look better for that than September even with Halo 3.

I actually think most people expect the Wii to outsell the 360 in September. Either way it goes, it isn't going to be a big deal because I doubt much seperates the two.

rakka

People continue to underestimate how many Halo 3 buyers don't own a 360 yet. I am telling you, 360s are going to get a significant boost in units sold for September because of Halo 3.

Battalion wars 2 will do the same for the wii

Chiggs

Gold Member
MightyHedgehog said:
I don't know how possible it might be for X360 to outsell Wii for the month, but I'd say that October/November/December look better for that than September even with Halo 3.

I still think we'll see a substantial increase in September, even if it doesn't outsell the Wii.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
MightyHedgehog said:

Assuming Nintendo has the supply, I don't get why September isn't absolutely the 360's best shot. In November and December you have Smash and Galaxy and the whole Christmas rush.

Norse

The Sphinx said:
Wow, thanks. That has implications I think. For Mistwalker of course, but also for Japanese devs in general.

It sure does...it says the 360 owners dont buy games that have saturday morning cartoon characters as leads...replace the kids with Tolkien style dragons and characters it would have sold way more. 360 owners dont do kiddie graphics for the most part.

beef3483 said:
Once again, the same meme is still spreading about. People trashing Wiis third party sales while not naming any third party game they actually want.

This thread is rife with hypocrisy.

No, that's a lame standard. For most existing franchises, I'd rather see new versions on the PS3 or 360 since they'll then have better graphics & sound.

I want new and fun games that use the waggle well for the Wii. I'm not sure what they are but it is up to the developers to figure them out. That's what I want.

With Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, Mass Effect, PGR4, HL2:OB, Ace Combat 6, GH3, RockBand, VF5, Army of 2, Kane and Lynch, Assassins Creed, and more coming out before the end of the year. It would be a big disappointment if the 360 doesn't sell out the Wii for atleast one of those months.

BenjaminBirdie said:
nice one m$ wii still kicked your bottoms"
What by like 50,000?"
"Uh, Halo 3 outsold the other four games in the top five, combined."

It'll probably outsell the rest of the top ten combined, since Madden, Metroid, and SHOCK sales will have calmed down, plus there aren't many other big releases this month.

Hcoregamer00 said:
You misunderstand, if the XBOX 360 is outsold by the Wii in Halo 3 month, that is something HUGE. There will be fire and brimstone.

at this point i think only nintendo fans will think it's a HUGE blow

VALIS said:
I would assume nearly everyone thinks the Wii will outsell the 360 in September.There's a remote chance it doesn't, but it likely will. Just because one or two people don't think so doesn't mean much.
The Wii broke almost each and every one of GAF's expectations when it comes to the console race.

Either way, I think this place is going to go batshit insane just with all of the fanboys.

"LOL The Wii outsold the 360 even with Halo 3"

"360 beats the Wii. It begins!"

And then the PS3 owners weep in the corner as usual.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I believe Nintendo could move 3 million in December alone if they had the supply (maybe they will??). GameCube sales always did pretty well during the holidays, as their family friendly image brought out customers who only buy gaming at that time of the year.

Maxwell House said:

Halo 2 didn't give much of a boost to the Xbox, and the 360's library is very strong, much better than the "only has one good game" library of the original.

Price drops are much more powerful at driving hardware sales than games are. With some leftover drive from this month's drop, the small (but significant) boost from Halo 3, and a five-week month, the 360 will still be lucky to pass 400k.

The Wii did that this month without any of those things. If Nintendo does nothing more than ship an equal amount (weekly), they'll do 504k next month.

There's no way I'd bet on the 360 next month. It just isn't going to happen.

Flakster99

Wollan said:
Are you trying to convince yourself?

Definitely. When someone speaks in absolutes, such as Ether_Snake, it tells me all I need to know about his lack of experience, and that he isn't paying attention to even the smallest, simplest, most direct of examples. Here's a hint:

Doesn't the Wii tell us that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE?? HELLO.. MC FLY!

Absinthe said:
I find it hilariously ironic that people are pointing and laughing at Madden Wii when, in fact, the Wii has 5 software titles in the top 20. That's pretty damn impressive for a machine that many people claim "doesn't move software".

Then you take a gander at Wii hardware sales and it continues to dominate. And it's doing this without Super Smash Brothers Brawl and without Mario Galaxy.

And the DS is still killing. Keep in mind that Phantom Hourglass is on its way.

So what's going to go down this Christmas? Nintendo, provided that they stockpile Wii units, is going to completely and utterly annihilate everyone with Wii and DS sales. And their software sales are going to be ridiculous as well.

I'm not so sure the 360 is going to outsell the Wii in September. If I recall correctly, Xbox hardware sales did not increase all that dramatically. Maybe most people that want to play Halo 3 already have a 360? Certainly possible, at least for the most part.

what i find hilarious is the software attach rate that people seem to oddly avoid.. we know who owns in that area. :D

schuelma said:
Assuming Nintendo has the supply, I don't get why September isn't absolutely the 360's best shot. In November and December you have Smash and Galaxy and the whole Christmas rush.
Well, Mass Effect has been promoted for a long while now and Bioware has a very good history with their XBOX games upon release. Of course, there is a metric ton of third party games hitting X360 during that period and I see Halo 3's buzz and marketing at its peak during these three months. September 25th is Halo 3 day, so maybe a week of sales for that NPD period...

Hcoregamer00

Norse said:
It sure does...it says the 360 owners dont buy games that have saturday morning cartoon characters as leads...replace the kids with Tolkien style dragons and characters it would have sold way more. 360 owners dont do kiddie graphics for the most part.

It shows because you threw away great games like Viva Pinata.

karasu

Ether_Snake said:
But really, those who say Uncharted might have a shot at being a "great game": :lol

It won't sell. This is like trying to sell Tomb Raiden, but replace the big-titted Lara by a dude in a dirty shirt, on an expensive console that has no games.

That is so ridiculous.

Evlar

Banned
Norse said:
So you would advise Hironobu Sakaguchi to make games with "Tolkien style" characters. Do you anticipate he would take that advice?

Hcoregamer00

Gahiggidy said:
I believe Nintendo could move 3 million in December alone if they had the supply (maybe they will??). GameCube sales always did pretty well during the holidays, as their family friendly image brought out customers who only buy gaming at that time of the year.

Don't EVER change :lol

Chiggs

Gold Member
Leondexter said:
Halo 2 didn't give much of a boost to the Xbox, and the 360's library is very strong, much better than the "only has one good game" library of the original.

Aren't those, like, the only months the Xbox outsold the PS2?

Top Bottom