• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2007

Odysseus

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
Well, Mass Effect has been promoted for a long while now and Bioware has a very good history with their XBOX games upon release. Of course, there is a metric ton of third party games hitting X360 during that period and I see Halo 3's buzz and marketing at its peak during these three months. September 25th is Halo 3 day, so maybe a week of sales for that NPD period...

halo 3 will actually have almost two weeks to shine in september npd. the period runs through october 6.

Hunter D

I'll say again what I have been saying the last few months. If sony doesn't make some noise this holiday season its good games peace out for them.

Third party sales have been terrible. If they don't pick up this holiday season the PS3 will lose some support.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
The Sphinx said:
So you would advise Hironobu Sakaguchi to make games with "Tolkien style" characters. Do you anticipate he would take that advice?

No, because he wants Gackt to be in the next game. He finally found out the secret to Crisis Core's success and wants to replicate it on the X360.

C4Lukins

Absinthe said:
That's my thinking as well. It's going to be interesting. I kind of hope the Wii wins just so I can sit and watch this place implode. Epic doesn't even begin to describe the implications.

I think your average 360 fan does not even really expect the 360 to win next month on hardware sales. I think it will do right around 400K which would put it right around where the Wii is. Anything significantly more then that would be a big surprise. This is not November or December, and there is still only so many people willing to spend 350 plus on a system. Even if the 360 sells under 400 K, the only people who would think that was bad are people who have it out for Microsoft.

xsarien

daedsiluap
If the Wii sells more than the 360 in October (the first full month of Halo's availability), I demand the thread title be "Hal0wned."

Mr.Potato Head said:
what i find hilarious is the software attach rate that people seem to oddly avoid.. we know who owns in that area. :D

Irrelevant. Nintendo makes a pretty good penny off of every Wii sold and they are continually massacring everyone. They're also making money off of the DS which is having incredible, unbelievable legs. Nintendo also didn't have to give their owners a three year extended warranty. I'm just being honest. The Wii and DS really do print money.

Flakster99

mysticstylez said:
With Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, Mass Effect, PGR4, HL2:OB, Ace Combat 6, GH3, RockBand, VF5, Army of 2, Kane and Lynch, Assassins Creed, and more coming out before the end of the year. It would be a big disappointment if the 360 doesn't sell out the Wii for atleast one of those months.

A disappointment for whom? And why?

chris0701 said:
http://www.sonydefenseforce.com/

Playstation Brand Dominates August U.S. NPD Charts

augustnpd2.jpg

wow at SDF, I even assume it was set to spread negative reputation about Sony gamers.

As much as I hate shit like this "Sony Family" graph, they do have a point. I'm pretty sure nobody is buying original XBOXs except for modders.

Back to COD4 beta for me...

ThePeter

Ether_Snake said:
I used to agree with the notion, but not anymore. Halo 3 is going to sell to the hardcore, yes, but then those people's buddies are going to be all "WUTWUTWUT?! I WANT SOME HALO TOO! You guys are ALWAYS talking about it! WUTWUTWUT? You guys are playing online DEATHMATCHES?! TOGETHER?!?! And I'm not part of this FUN?!?! I'm getting Halo too!!"

And there, 360+Halo 3 copy sold.
Quote for Truth.

You can already see it happening on youtube vlogs and such.

Absinthe said:
Irrelevant. Nintendo makes a pretty good penny off of every Wii sold and they are continually massacring everyone. They're also making money off of the DS which is having incredible, unbelievable legs. Nintendo also didn't have to give their owners a three year extended warranty. I'm just being honest. The Wii and DS really do print money.

It's more about 3rd parties seeing that the 360 is moving tons of software, thus companies still will make games for it, no matter how much the Wii outsells it.

Odysseus

Banned
Chiggs said:
Aren't those, like, the only months the Xbox outsold the PS2?

xbox outsold ps2 in april, august, september, november, and december of 2004. april due to the price drop, and the rest of the months were due to ps2 shortages before and during the switchover to ps2 slim. absent those factors, ps2 would have gone the generation unblemished. but if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, as they say.

mysticstylez said:
It's more about 3rd parties seeing that the 360 is moving tons of software, thus companies still will make games for it, no matter how much the Wii outsells it.

Here's the thing, if the Wii continues to sell at the rate it is then third party companies will have no choice but to make games for it. Third parties almost always follow the market leader. The Wii is well on its way there. If a third party company actually made a quality game for the Wii then they'd see that it would sell a ton. And no, I wouldn't call Madden Wii a "quality" title.

KevinRo

Ether_Snake said:
I used to agree with the notion, but not anymore. Halo 3 is going to sell to the hardcore, yes, but then those people's buddies are going to be all "WUTWUTWUT?! I WANT SOME HALO TOO! You guys are ALWAYS talking about it! WUTWUTWUT? You guys are playing online DEATHMATCHES?! TOGETHER?!?! And I'm not part of this FUN?!?! I'm getting Halo too!!"

And there, 360+Halo 3 copy sold.

I was discussing halo in my physics lab and even the 4 chicks in the room were getting into halo3.

wtf!??!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
KevinRo said:
I was discussing halo in my physics lab and even the 4 chicks in the room were getting into halo3.

wtf!??!

A lot of girls play Halo. I've never really understood it either

My predictions weren't off nearly as much as I was expecting them to be. Sweet.

Obligatory "holy shit Nintendo hasn't been a competitor for first place in like a decade and now the DS/Wii are shotgunning the competition at point blank range."

I'm wondering, though, if the down-trending sales of the Wii in Japan will affect US sales in any way. It's flat damn weird seeing the Wii do 30,000 a week in Japan right now with last month's American sales in the 400,000 range.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The Sphinx said:
So you would advise Hironobu Sakaguchi to make games with "Tolkien style" characters. Do you anticipate he would take that advice?

How about having made Blue Dragon for Wii+PS2 instead? It's not like the consoles couldn't have handled it, other than a slight graphical downgrade. And the game would have sold a LOT more, WAY more. Same for Lost Odyssey (especially considering how that game appears to be pretty much a very standard RPG with nicer graphics). And in fact Lost Odyssey could have been released on all platforms instead.

Sure, MS paid them, but nothing beats having titles that are actually successful and establishing the brand name of the studio.

He took a very bad business decision for his studio (much like he did with the FF movie).

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Absinthe said:
Here's the thing, if the Wii continues to sell at the rate it is then third party companies will have no choice but to make games for it. Third parties almost always follow the market leader. The Wii is well on its way there. If a third party company actually made a quality game for the Wii then they'd see that it would sell a ton. And no, I wouldn't call Madden Wii a "quality" title.

i love my wii, but 3rd parties still think hardcore wii fans = ninty fanbois...

so they make minigame fests.

Absinthe said:

You gotta understand too, that alot of dev's want to take advantage of the best available technology to make their games. A lot of companies can't make the games they want with Wii.

Why are you guys dissing on Wii for Madden not doing well?

Madden has never been a nintendo thing.

Madden was the Sega Genesis, then Playstation 2, then Xbox 360. It has never been a Nintendo thing.

Now don't say 3rd party games don't sell on the wii:
example: Rayman (wii's did quite well)

Nintendo fans want Platformers, rpgs, stradegy games, and the occasional fighter.

Third party or not...these sell on the system. Third parties just need to figure that out and make games that will sell on it.

Capcom has done a wonderful job, their numbers just show that...Clearly that states that 3rd party games sell well on the system. If EA wants to get sales...I suggest a lord of the rings stradegy rpg or a new version of the Sims...

Sega is also learning this: Nights into Dreams, Sonic VS Mario Olympics, Super Monkey Ball

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
mysticstylez said:
You gotta understand too, that alot of dev's want to take advantage of the best available technology to make their games. A lot of companies can't make the games they want with Wii.
Oh well, too bad for them.

mysticstylez said:
But are they "enough"? As in PS2 levels enough? For it's userbase, it's exceptional. But what if the Wii is at 50M and the 360 is stuck at 20M? 70M? What then?

Mrbob said:
Depends on how quickly you think the Wii will overtake the X360 in NA.

It isn't going to happen before the end of 2008, if not longer. Perhaps Halo 3 will be the trigger that pushes 360 ahead. Right now 3rd parties will go along for the ride on the platform that is making them money.
You guys seems to be taking the exact wrong thing from what I'm saying.

Why not nurture both markets?

More money for all. Is it because the 360's brother console in America is the Wii?

Think differently about the markets, for both are obviously spurred by different things. Developers for the most part are trying to release 360 games to the Wii, that market obviously doesn't want them. Think different and you'll have more money.

The PS3 is going nowhere in America. That should be obvious. So why limit your market to one console, when the other is setting America on fire? Money to be made in both.

xsarien

daedsiluap
mysticstylez said:

If a company is so caught up in making their games look good despite everything else, they clearly don't have their priorities in order.

xsarien SECRETS:
I'm just as excited about Echochrome as I was about Bioshock.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
dextran said:
What bozos. If you're going to have "Sony Family" include PSP, why not have a Nintendo Family with Wii+DS. Ridiculous!

It's impossibe to make fun of people when you can't even tell who's being serious anymore.

Alts

I was concerned about the performance of MP3 (although I am guilty, I haven't bought it yet), but 220k in 4 days is awesome. And I am sure most of those aren't non-gamers/casuals/whatever terms GAF may have invented recently to deride Wii owners.

C4Lukins

GoofsterStud said:
Why are you guys dissing on Wii for Madden not doing well?

Madden has never been a nintendo thing.

Madden was the Sega Genesis, then Playstation 2, then Xbox 360. It has never been a Nintendo thing.

Now don't say 3rd party games don't sell on the wii:
example: Rayman (wii's did quite well)

Nintendo fans want Platformers, rpgs, stradegy games, and the occasional fighter.

Third party or not...these sell on the system. Third parties just need to figure that out and make games that will sell on it.

Capcom has done a wonderful job, their numbers just show that...Clearly that states that 3rd party games sell well on the system. If EA wants to get sales...I suggest a lord of the rings stradegy rpg or a new version of the Sims...

Sega is also learning this: Nights into Dreams, Sonic VS Mario Olympics, Super Monkey Ball

I think most of the Madden laughing is due to some people thinking the Wii version was going to beat the PS3 version, and it ended up losing to the XBOX version. Just some friendly jabbing.

It is a key indicator of certain things though. People who like their sim sports games are going to stick with the PS2, 360, or PS3 for those types of games. And that is a huge market Wii will be missing out on. Of course they will still get these games, but it does not look they will be at all relavent to the systems success. It is not so much bad for the Wii, just very good for the 360 and PS3.

xsarien said:
If a company is so caught up in making their games look good despite everything else, they clearly don't have their priorities in order.

xsarien SECRETS:
I'm just as excited about Echochrome as I was about Bioshock.

So you would rather play Call of Duty 4 on the Wii, with friend codes, no headset support, and severly downgraded graphics, just for the sake of waggle? Instead of playing it on the 360 which is an amazing looking game, playing online with xbox live, with headset support as well, plus achievements, as well as downloadable content, and extremely competent dual analog controls.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Blue Dragon should have come out before August. Microsoft sent it to die basically.
I agree. They had a few months where there was little on the ground and would have been better off giving it some time to shine during the Spring or Summer.

chris0701 said:
http://www.sonydefenseforce.com/

Playstation Brand Dominates August U.S. NPD Charts

augustnpd2.jpg

wow at SDF, I even assume it was set to spread negative reputation about Sony gamers.

dextran said:
What bozos. If you're going to have "Sony Family" include PSP, why not have a Nintendo Family with Wii+DS. Ridiculous!

I agree. If you combine all of the Sony products then combine all of the Nintendo products under the title Nintendo Family. some one needs to do that. If that happens it will show Nintendo winning big time.

xsarien

daedsiluap
mysticstylez said:
So you would rather play Call of Duty 4 on the Wii, with friend codes, no headset support, and severly downgraded graphics, just for the sake of waggle? Instead of playing it on the 360 which is an amazing looking game, playing online with xbox live, with headset support as well, plus achievements, as well as downloadable content, and extremely competent dual analog controls.

It's kind of a moot question because I'm about 3 Calls of Duty behind on that franchise.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Buffy4ever said:
I agree. If you combine all of the Sony products then combine all of the Nintendo products under the title Nintendo Family. some one needs to do that. If that happens it will show Nintendo winning big time.

!!!

rakka

Buffy4ever said:

been done somewhere in this thread already

Darkman M

MightyHedgehog said:
I agree. They had a few months where there was little on the ground and would have been better off giving it some time to shine during the Spring or Summer.

Not to mention North American review sites like gamespot killed it as well.

mysticstylez said:
Yup, waggle in FPS is really that huge of a difference.

Provided the controls are actually well done, of course.

Rhindle said:
Part of it is that PS3 had three big titles out this month. But a big part of it is that the Wii tie ratio has actually been falling and dropped below 3:1 this month. Very unusual for a console to experience falling tie ratios after launch.
The bigger percentage jump a system's LTD has, the harder it is to maintain the same tie ratio. Since the new owners won't have as many games, they have a negative effect on overall tie ratio. The more of them there are, the bigger the negative effect is. From July->August
X360 LTD: +4.7%
PS3 LTD: +8.1%
Wii LTD: +11.2%
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Well, they also mention the sales in the bullet points about the August numbers, and it sure seems that they are saying that in August they had more game revenue than Wii and PS3 combined. On hardware, 360 is almost dead equal to Wii + PS3 now in NA, right? So it is a legit bragging point, but it's not astounding I agree.
As of these August numbers...
X360: 6.2 million
WiiS3: 5.8 million
So it is getting pretty close.

Odysseus

Banned
CassSept said:
Spammer!

Wow @ X360. This is the best result over PS2, right? (i remember it was once better, but only by a bit, not by whole 75k)

no, i think this is the first time, which makes it the best by default.

Top Bottom