• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2007

C4Lukins

titiklabingapat said:
Yup, waggle in FPS is really that huge of a difference.

Provided the controls are actually well done, of course.

I have not played Prime 3, but dont you need a lockon method for an FPS to really work with the Wiimote? I can see that working fine with certain games, but with competitive games like Halo and Call of Duty, it completely takes the point out of the games.

Ether_Snake said:
How about having made Blue Dragon for Wii+PS2 instead? It's not like the consoles couldn't have handled it, other than a slight graphical downgrade. And the game would have sold a LOT more, WAY more. Same for Lost Odyssey (especially considering how that game appears to be pretty much a very standard RPG with nicer graphics). And in fact Lost Odyssey could have been released on all platforms instead.

Sure, MS paid them, but nothing beats having titles that are actually successful and establishing the brand name of the studio.

He took a very bad business decision for his studio (much like he did with the FF movie).

Wow. :lol

How is making millions of dollars and MS funding to setup your studio a bad business decision? He's focusing on NEXT-GEN consoles (thus no PS2), and when he started development (over 2 years ago!) Xbox 360 was the clear market leader. Nobody knew the Wii would be this successful then. You are completely talking out of your ass.

Gahiggidy said:
ehhh...

Xbox 360 "Wii Sports" Sales: 0

Nintendo Wii "Wii Sports" Sales: 4,000,000

Despite its title, "Wii Sports" is not real sports title. It is a party game. A casual game.

Seriously now . . . how many people at Operation Sports are talking about Wii Sports?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
KachoMakura said:

How is making millions of dollars and MS funding to setup your studio a bad business decision? He's focusing on NEXT-GEN consoles (thus no PS2), and when he started development (over 2 years ago!) Xbox 360 was the clear market leader. Nobody knew the Wii would be this successful then. You are completely talking out of your ass.

Says the guy with the Lost Odyssey avatar!

I'm not talking out of my ass. His goal should be to establish his studio's name. He should have had enough trust in his own company and he could have attracted Sony and Nintendo's attention, the guy is known as THE FATHER OF FINAL FANTASY. But he decided to go all exclusive and make two big RPGs for a console that had no reason to be a big hit in Japan. If he hadn't done an exclusive deal with MS, he could now release Blue Dragon on any console and hence bring in more sales, same for Lost Odyssey.

It was a bad business move. Flexibility>temporary security.

Already his studio started making an NDS game, and chances are they'll make a Wii one soon enough. But as far as Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are concerned, those deals are sealed. It's very unlikely now that they'll ever turn into big series, and I could see Blue Dragon as a much bigger name if it hadn't been for its MS exclusivity. The cartoon could have happened without them.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
JoshuaJSlone said:
The bigger percentage jump a system's LTD has, the harder it is to maintain the same tie ratio. Since the new owners won't have as many games, they have a negative effect on overall tie ratio. The more of them there are, the bigger the negative effect is. From July->August
X360 LTD: +4.7%
PS3 LTD: +8.1%
Wii LTD: +11.2%

As of these August numbers...
X360: 6.2 million
WiiS3: 5.8 million
So it is getting pretty close.
Also, Wii is the only system with a pack-in game.

Ether_Snake said:
Says the guy with the Lost Odyssey avatar!

I'm not talking out of my ass. His goal should be to establish his studio's name. He should have had enough trust in his own company and he could have attracted Sony and Nintendo's attention, the guy is known as THE FATHER OF FINAL FANTASY. But he decided to go all exclusive and make two big RPGs for a console that had no reason to be a big hit in Japan. If he hadn't done an exclusive deal with MS, he could now release Blue Dragon on any console and hence bring in more sales, same for Lost Odyssey.

It was a bad business move. Flexibility>temporary security.

Already his studio started making an NDS game, and chances are they'll make a Wii one soon enough. But as far as Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are concerned, those deals are sealed. It's very unlikely now that they'll ever turn into big series, and I could see Blue Dragon as a much bigger name if it hadn't been for its MS exclusivity. The cartoon could have happened without them.

You're obviously missing the fact that without MS's funding there would have been no Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey! Do you honestly think he didn't shop around first? Who else would have put up that kind of money? Sony didn't need those games and neither did Nintendo.

You are coming across like a bitter fanboy. The man chose the 360, get over it.

itsme

Banned
PS3 Lair = 46.5K
Warhawk w/headset= 58.6K
Blue Dragon = 53.6K

A clear proof that how distance NeoGAF hype can be from actual sales figures. Yap, we're just a small group of hardcore gamers with big mouth.

itsme said:
PS3 Lair = 46.5K
Warhawk w/headset= 58.6K
Blue Dragon = 53.6K
5znb2mh.gif

bill0527

Well its real simple for Sony.

Get a system selling game and drop the price of the console.

Or keep doing what you're doing and enjoy dead last place, continued loss of former exclusives, and the further possibility of other publishers abandoning ship for the rest of the hardware cycle.

Mar

I'm not so sure the 360 will outsell the Wii for the Halo 3 month either. I think just about everyone that loves Halo has already got one.

Me personally though, Halo 3 will be my first Halo. I'm picking it up solely for the 4 player co-op. But of course, I already own a 360. So that's not going to help any hardware sales numbers.

titiklabingapat said:
Yup, waggle in FPS is really that huge of a difference.

Provided the controls are actually well done, of course.

No way am I trusting waggle to an online shooter, its just not precise enougth, I like the Wii controls for certain games but its no good for online FPS battles

Sharp

itsme said:
PS3 Lair = 46.5K
Warhawk w/headset= 58.6K
Blue Dragon = 53.6K

A clear proof that how distance NeoGAF hype can be from actual sales figures. Yap, we're just a small group of hardcore gamers with big mouth.
Remind me again why it's okay to excuse MP3 with "four days of sales" but not these games.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
KachoMakura said:
You're obviously missing the fact that without MS's funding there would have been no Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey! Do you honestly think he didn't shop around first? Who else would have put up that kind of money? Sony didn't need those games and neither did Nintendo.

He was retired. He came back because he felt the 360 could compete since Xbox beat the GC in their first ever generation. I forget who it was that went to Hawaii to convince him though

Barnolde

Banned
First Tenchu Z, now Two Worlds, guess 360 gamers have the same taste in quality software as they do in hardware. Glad to see it finally outselling the PS2, way to go there. WTF at Xbox Madden outselling Wii Madden, that's just weird.

Anyway, go Bioshock!

Sony shot their bolt early,

It was no point dropping the price in a quiet summer month with no exciting games being pushed in that month.

Deku said:
The new SDF appears to be a parody site, P-A covered them in their last comic.
Uh, SDF the website has always been a joke site. Owned by some poster here that has Wii60 or whatever too IIRC. Mentioning SDF usually has nothing to do with the website.

Sharp said:
Remind me again why it's okay to excuse MP3 with "four days of sales" but not these games.
I'm not excusing any of them, but Metroid sold four times as many copies as those and is selling faster than Metroid Prime Ye Firste.

Chiggs

Gold Member
bill0527 said:
Well its real simple for Sony.

Get a system selling game and drop the price of the console.

Or keep doing what you're doing and enjoy dead last place, continued loss of former exclusives, and the further possibility of other publishers abandoning ship for the rest of the hardware cycle.

Seriously, how can anyone look at their situation and not come to the same conclusion? Come 2008, it will be too late. In some ways, it already is.

TGS: Price Drop Part 2. Make it happen, Sony.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Like 77k or something. Someone posted it earlier in the thread. Top selling PC game of the month!

Jesus, that's pathetic.

mr_bishiuk said:
Sony shot their bolt early,

It was no point dropping the price in a quiet summer month with no exciting games being pushed in that month.
And yet we had a ~100 page thread right here on GAF claiming there was no price drop.

Sharp

Son of Godzilla said:
Uh, SDF the website has always been a joke site. Owned by some poster here that has Wii60 or whatever too IIRC. Mentioning SDF usually has nothing to do with the website.
I think it's a tjhooker labor of love, which makes it sort of in between parody and desperation.

Segata: No, I agree, it's just weird to trot out those numbers as failures with one side of the mouth and then passionately defend MP3 with the other. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's lack of consistency.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Segata Sanshiro said:
Like 77k or something. Someone posted it earlier in the thread. Top selling PC game of the month!

Holy fuck. PC gamers hate third party games just like Nintendo gamers confirmed?

C4Lukins

Mar_ said:
I'm not so sure the 360 will outsell the Wii for the Halo 3 month either. I think just about everyone that loves Halo has already got one.

Me personally though, Halo 3 will be my first Halo. I'm picking it up solely for the 4 player co-op. But of course, I already own a 360. So that's not going to help any hardware sales numbers.

I think there is a ton of people who want Halo who have not bought a 360, but at 350 dollars they are still not going to buy a system just for it right now. Half the people I know who are interested in Halo are just not going to buy a 360 until it gets down to 200 dollars. Halo may be a hardcore game but I would guess that the vast majority of Halo lovers out there are casual gamers. It is the same deal with all the big selling games.

MassiveAttack said:
And yet we had a ~100 page thread right here on GAF claiming there was no price drop.

Well ok they should done, what ever they did, at a time when people ar emore likely to drop feel like dropping $499 on a games console

Barnolde said:
First Tenchu Z, now Two Worlds, guess 360 gamers have the same taste in quality software as they do in hardware.
I'd like to know how I get a week ban for arguing that some 360 racing game looks as good as some PS3 racing game, but stuff like this slides despite his long history.

Jirotrom

Mar_ said:

my store is constantly selling out of 360s now, not as fast as Wii, but pretty fast... Also, was metroid prime 3 only marked for 4 days, if so, Awesome!

Sharp

Oblivion said:
Sorry, not familiar with Steam. What does it do?
It makes PC sales happen, as if by magic! Also it is not traceable by any system known to man. In that sense it is kind of like Europe, except more mysterious.

Rolf NB

KachoMakura said:

1)Mistwalker makes games for the current generation of consoles.
2)Two years ago, the XBox 360 was the clear market leader of the "not yet launched" segment, which nobody cares about, generally speaking.

C4Lukins

Oblivion said:
Sorry, not familiar with Steam. What does it do?

Assuming you are not being sarcastic, it is Valve's online store where you can purchase PC games and download them directly. It also has some functionality similar to XBOX Live.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Odysseus said:
halo 3 will actually have almost two weeks to shine in september npd. the period runs through october 6.

NPD will probably run a report on the tracking for 24 hours like they did for Halo 2... that's what most people will probably be looking for

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
KachoMakura said:

That's bullshit. It's full of lousy little studios in Japan making shitty RPGs/SRPGs that are completely unknown outside Japan. Sakaguchi could have certainly managed to start his studio without locking a deal with MS for total exclusivity. Like I said, his name is up there with Miyamoto, and Nintendo would have probably liked being able to tout that the "father of Final Fantasy" is now making games for their consoles, maybe even a lunch title Wii game.

Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey's production costs are completely relative to the fact that MS is involved. Making Blue Dragon for PS2/Wii or simply a non-exclusive would have been possible with a smaller budget. Plus, I am certain MS would have helped his studio even without a complete exclusivity deal.

So yeah, I still think it was a bad business move, and Blue Dragon had a good chance of being a much bigger brand-defining hit than it was. Unless Lost Odyssey does REALLY well or unless MS continues to pour as much money in his studio (we never got numbers on that btw), I don't expect much else from Mistwalker.

This would have been very different without a complete exclusivity deal.

But then again, Japanese devs/publishers are so fucking stupid when it comes to understanding how important it is to be flexible and being able to release a game on any platform. Something they could really learn from Western studios.

Sharp

I don't think the PS3 is coming back. I can't really imagine a scenario in which it did, even with drastic price cuts. Obviously, though, I could be very wrong--have been in the past.

legend166

I don't know if you guys are still talking about Wii 3rd party sales, because I stopped reading 10 pages ago, but here is my take:

For a game to sell well, on any platform, it needs atleast two of the following:

1. Quality
2. Well known brand
3. Marketing

For example, a game like Bioshock. It has quality in spades. From what I've seen in Australia, it's also had a decent amount of marketing. Therefore it sells well.

A title like Mario Party 8 is a well known brand, and it had a lot of marketing. Those two things make up for the lack of quality (I haven't played the game, just going off the internet consensus. Therefore, it's going to sell well.

On the other hand, Boogie. Marketed like crazy, but it's a piece of garbage and is not a well known brand name. Something like Okami, has a lot of quality, but no marketing and no brand name, Therefore, it sells crap.

Now, obviously there will be exceptions to the rule. However, I can't think of one third party title on the Wii that has two of those things, that did not sell well. Tiger Woods had great marketing, a well known brand name, and was of decent quality. It sold well. So until there are titles that come out and have two of those things, and don't sell well, the only "3rd party Wii games don't sell" meme should be put to rest.

I should totally run a gaming company.

Yes I know there are some holes in that theory, but I think it's pretty good.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Green Shinobi said:
I'd like to know how I get a week ban for arguing that some 360 racing game looks as good as some PS3 racing game, but stuff like this slides despite his long history.

Don't mind him, he's bitter about something. When it was revealed the 360 version of UT3 was 30fps. He yapped and yapped and yapped. When the PS3 version was also said to go at the same clip, he found a new visage.

Green Shinobi said:

because he's trolling the 360. you'll have to learn how to deal with it

Top Bottom