• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2008

Haunted

Son of Godzilla said:
You presume too much. The saying was never "Games don't sell on the Wii" or "Third party games don't sell on the Wii", it was "Look at all that shit".
really?

*cocks head*

really?

zeloe326

So if the PS3 is doomed for selling what it is at 399 what would you say the 360 is selling at 199 compare to the Wii selling at 250. Wouldn't that make the 360 doom also. :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I shudder to imagine how many numbers he's pulled out of his ass to proclaim that the 360 and PS3 are within a few hundred thousand units of each other.

Next week he'll come in here saying the PS3 is over a million units ahead of the 360.

Europe is the great equalizer. The lack of hard numbers and the vast amount of vapid vague PR makes it easy for someone like PH to have leeway of like a million hardware units depending on which way he's spinning.

FrankT

909er said:
Does anyone have Gears 1 numbers for Nov and Dec 2006, as well as COD 4 (PS3/360) numbers from Nov and Dec 2007? I just want to compare how their sequels did against them.

2.305 million for Gears 2 versus Gears 1 at 1.815 milllion. COD4 (360) is about ~3.1 million for the two months versus ~2.8 for WaW. WaW has been heavily discounted for almost the entire month ($35).* Cannot recall if COD4 was, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't.

Private Hoffman said:
It'd be interesting to see a breakdown of each of the major regions for the 360/PS3, so far we know this for 2008 sales:

America:

360 + 1.19 million in 2008 over the PS3

Japan:

PS3 + ~600k in 2008 over the 360

Europe:

????

All we have are UK and France figures, but that won't give us an overall picture.

Either way, world wide sales likely see the 360 and PS3 within a few hundred thousand of eachother. Kind of makes the entire "PS3 is doomed" argument a bit hilarious and ironic for those that keep preaching it....if PS3 is doomed, then things don't look so hot for the 360 either. The difference in PS3/360 WW YTD sales at this point is rather trivial when compared to what the Wii is doing to them both.

I think not. You do not go from about 5-6 million lead to 8 now by merely a few hundred thousand difference. 360 had great year in Europe then throw in the rest of NA, AU, and the rest of WW no it's far from a few 100k. Still waiting on Sony's shipment figures but if they did hit 20 million then the lead is clearly over 8 million at the end of 2008 and now growing, and that is more than what it was when the PS3 shipped in 2006.. Could easily be 9 million or so before we even see a price drop.

Shurs

Private Hoffman said:
It'd be interesting to see a breakdown of each of the major regions for the 360/PS3, so far we know this for 2008 sales:

America:

Japan:

Europe:

????

All we have are UK and France figures, but that won't give us an overall picture.

Either way, world wide sales likely see the 360 and PS3 within a few hundred thousand of eachother. Kind of makes the entire "PS3 is doomed" argument a bit hilarious and ironic for those that keep preaching it....if PS3 is doomed, then things don't look so hot for the 360 either. The difference in PS3/360 WW YTD sales at this point is rather trivial when compared to what the Wii is doing to them both.

He's right, you know.

TJ Spyke

909er said:
Does anyone have Gears 1 numbers for Nov and Dec 2006, as well as COD 4 (PS3/360) numbers from Nov and Dec 2007? I just want to compare how their sequels did against them.

Gears of War- #1 in November 2006 at 1 million and #6 in December 2006 at 815.7K.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare- #1 (360) at 1.57 million and #7 (PS3) at 444K in November 2007. In December 2007 the Xbox 360 version was #1 at 1.47 million, the PS3 version was #11 and sold between 500K and 613K (the exact amount is unknown).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
zeloe326 said:
So if the PS3 is doomed for selling what it is at 399 what would you say the 360 is selling at 199 compare to the Wii selling at 250. Wouldn't that make the 360 doom also. :lol

OHM Y GOD YOU BLEW MY MIND I CANT WAIT TILL THE PRICE DROPKILLZONESECRETPS3GAME ITS GONNA RULZ.

Private Hoffman said:

America:

Japan:

Europe:

????

:lol

You are honestly running off blather about how the PS3 might actually be gaining ground on the 360. Two years after it was released. John Titor needs to take this fucking post back to 2005.

zeloe326 said:

360 holiday sales are not down year over year. That is the concern for Sony as much if not mor than selling half of 360 sales.

zeloe326 said:

Stick to weeding out agendas against Killzone 2.

Mr. Wonderful said:
Any numbers on Persona 4? I know a lot of people, including myself, who had Persona 4 was their first experience with the series.

If they release them, it;ll be posted here.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I just went in that Killzone 2 thread and somebody made a gif of a guy busting through a door.

There are no words.
have you even noticed that some of Neogaf's most epic threads start by Evilore or Sonycowboy posting a series of numbers, statistics, and PDF charts?

I'm not necessarily in disagreement, but...dude, cmon.

Welcome to Neogaf: Pick your insanity

hulot

zeloe326 said:
Please don't make me post Sony's gif again about value. 360 Arcade is more expensive than PS3. Deal with it.

Mar

zeloe326 said:

hamsandwich.jpg

909er

TJ Spyke said:
Gears of War- #1 in November 2006 at 1 million and #6 in December 2006 at 815.7K.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare- #1 (360) at 1.57 million and #7 (PS3) at 444K in November 2007. In December 2007 the Xbox 360 version was #1 at 1.47 million, the PS3 version was #11 and sold between 500K and 613K (the exact amount is unknown).

Thank you both.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
zeloe326 said:

You're saying this as if all 360s are $199 and both the PS3 and 360 are selling equally.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Arde5643 said:
hahaha - no problems here - thing is, we get some people (for example like Hoffman, son of godzilla and mrbob), who despite all the facts presented will still spin it as positive for their system of choice and somehow a negative for the system they don't care/like.

It's pretty funny for those who know, but for those not so much into sales, they can take that as gospel especially if it's their favorite console.

Ahhh I see, it's was his 'spin' on the numbers that people we're laugh at rather than the numbers themselves, I guess Hoffman is a fan of the PS3 like me then, I can see how he would like to find some solace then in a month when the PS3 isn't doing as well as it should be, at times like this though that's all you can do really, and if it's true that the PS3 is up 38% in sales in 08' compared to 07' that can't be a bad thing can it ?, as long as the sales keep going up YoY isn't that most important thing rather than which console sells the most over the Christmas period or am I missing something ?

It just seems that everyone is getting a little melodramatic about it all, are people saying that becuase the PS3's sales are down in this particular month (Dec '08) compared to Dec 07's figures that the PS3 will not manage another year of increased sales ?

zeloe326 said:

Well we have to wait for sony to release their results for the quarter but the whole ps3 is doomed thing goes beyond how many consoles they sell in a month. If they are still losing money at 399 while MS is making money at 199 which would you say is in the doomed position?

Banned
Private Hoffman said:

It is increasing it`s lead on the PS3, making a profit and selling tons of software.

AFreak

Banned
They all did great(cept for PS2) time to drop price to 99.

Oh, and isn't a yer on yer loss for all 3 of them? The year wasn't good for anyone.

And Now I shall predict that PS3 will be higher than 360 for January and February NPDs, just like last year.

VALIS

Private Hoffman said:

The 360 already had a 7-8 million world wide lead over the PS3 before this month. Now it's 8-9 million. The race didn't start last January, it started in 2005.

Zophar

I'm really having a hard time caring about NPD numbers when I'm playing all these amazing PS3 games and will continue to do so all through 2009 and beyond.

CrazzyMan

Banned
Good/Ok PS3 sales.
Considering:

1. Recession
2. Most expensive console on the market(entry price)
3. Media Hate/Bashing
4. No Price Cut like a year ago

So many excuses or whatever you call them, BUT they DO effect sales.

Pachael said:
So Wii Music:

Oct: 81,000
Nov: 297,000 (+367% m/m)
Dec: 487,000 (+64% m/m)

2008: 865,000

Huge boost in December - it's not a flop! It's an underrated musical hit set to hit 1 million, at least.

Hey look, percentages
Probably the most successful bomb in history

Haunted

Zophar said:
I'm really having a hard time caring about NPD numbers when I'm playing all these amazing PS3 games and will continue to do so all through 2009 and beyond.
:lol thanks for your input, would read again.

szaromir

Banned
lowrider007 said:
I can see how he would like to find some solace then in a month when the PS3 isn't doing as well as it should be, at times like this though that's all you can do really, and if it's true that the PS3 is up 38% in sales in 08' compared to 07' that can't be a bad thing can it ?
Funny how people forgot how abysmal PS3 sales in 2007 were... PS3 was regurarly posting 80-120k numbers back then, there's nothing to be proud of in 40% increase...

desh

CrazzyMan said:
Good/Ok PS3 sales.
Considering:

1. Recession
3. Media Hate/Bashing

But, they're still excuses.

zeloe326

lowrider007 said:
Ahhh I see, it's was his 'spin' on the numbers that people we're laugh at rather than the numbers themselves, I guess Hoffman is a fan of the PS3 like me then, I can see how he would like to find some solace then in a month when the PS3 isn't doing as well as it should be, at times like this though that's all you can do really, and if it's true that the PS3 is up 38% in sales in 08' compared to 07' that can't be a bad thing can it ?, as long as the sales keep going up YoY isn't that most important thing rather which console sells the most over the Christmas period or am I missing something ?

It just seems that everyone is getting a little melodramatic about it all, are people saying that becuase the PS3's sales are down in this particular month (Dec '08) compared to Dec 07's figures that the PS3 will not manage another year of increased sales ?

Its almost like those yelling doom and gloom for the PS3 are the ones having the breakdown.

Jack B

This video clip sums up Sony's situation....

You're going the wrong way! You're going to kill somebody!

Going the wrong way? How would he know which way we're going? :lol

watch

John Candy and Steve Martin. Gotta love it!

NeoUltima said:
:lol :lol
but yeah that gif owns. some of the best animation ever
I was off by a total million units with the Wii. Pretty sure I was very close on all others.
Best as in funny? Yes. Best as in good?
:lol

Gaborn

CrazzyMan said:
Good/Ok PS3 sales.
Considering:

1. Recession
3. Media Hate/Bashing

You're completely right. Sony's decision to use the PS3 as a Blu-Ray Trojan horse and make their console unreasonably expensive has affected their sales. But they only have themselves to blame for their current performance.

lowrider007 said:

No, people are just worried about all the unbought PS3s that might get depressed and jump off very high magazine racks because you didn't love it enough.

Zophar

Haunted said:
:lol thanks for your input, would read again.
My point is that it's "bombing" is clearly not affecting development. Like, at all. The releases are not drying up and neither are the exclusives, and isn't that what's really important?

Top Bottom