• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2008

Haunted said:
I've got it pre-ordered and I haven't been in the official thread more than once because the rabidness fucking annoys me.

yeah, it's best to ignore the official threads for big games pre-release

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Oblivion said:
Only 16 pages in 2 hours? I'm starting to get worried here, guys. :(

Boring numbers? The only surprising thing is Wii failing to get to 3 million and DS doing it instead. And L4D and MKDS in the top ten

Mastperf

Deku said:
Come on guys, DS sold 3 million units. That's an amazing number.

Yes it is. The DS is an awesome system and shows just how much Nintendo "gets it".
It gotten to the point to where pretty much every kid and a lot of the adults in my family own one. It's pretty much a must have for people who enjoy gaming of any kind.

Majmun

Wow Nintendo. Selling more than 5 million units of hardware in a month and around 20 million units of their software in 2008.

It's getting crazy.

But I expect it to go downhill after the Wii again. Just like Ps2 >>> Ps3
It'll be pretty hard to match this success.

Mrbob said:
With only 10 numbers (two to three wasted on hardware purchases listed as software) each month, NPD isn't the same.

I wish the NPD group would give us a holiday gift in Dec of a top 20 list.

I'm still waiting for you to explain why you think people who buy Wii Fit are buying it for the balance board only. Thanks.

Private Hoffman said:
I think it's pretty clear that Microsoft has managed to win a significant portion of the hardcore market in the US. It's doubtful that the PS3 will ever be able to catch up to the 360 in America.

And when you look at it from a world wide perspective, the sales difference between the PS3 and the 360 this year is rather trivial. Even if we assume that PS3/360 sales in Europe are even (meaning, no one gains or loses anything), the 360 is ahead by 600k this year. I'm just giving this thread a bit of perspective when people throw around comments of being 'doomed'. Those people should really analyze the situation their camp is in before throwing such descriptions around. If the PS3 is 'doomed' and a failure, then what does that tell us about a system that costs $200-300 less (depending on the region) only outselling it world wide by 600k? For the record, I don't think either company is doomed. They've been quite successful this year in their own ways....Nintendo is clearly the one that has had, by far, the most success, though.

Cobra, retreat!

You are so totally Destro to Tabris' Cobra Commander.

FirewalkR

HELLO GOOD SIRS!

Someone said in the KZ2 thread that if someone posted a KZ2 gif in here, people would cry.

k410p.jpg

Here, gentle people!!!

Now don't cry, come join us in the Alamo. Be brave as I have just (possibly suicidally) been.

So many watch and so few join the party. Be brave, good people. Be brave!

*runs and **incredibly** dodges Evilore*

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The DS has been so insane on such a consistent basis that the fact that it sold 3 million last month isn't even suprising.

And hey. Hey guys.

The DSi hasn't even dropped yet. Wrap your mind around THAT one.

As for the Wii, I kinda thought they wouldn't be as high as 3 or 4 mil this month because it didn't seem like we (at the good old electronics shop) were getting more Wiis than we were getting in November. Thought it'd be slightly higher than we saw, though.

Also, I'm glad Guitar Hero World Tour is doing so well on Wii. It's a really good product.

Mario Kart Wii is easily going to be the best-selling, er, traditional game released in 2008. It's barely behind both versions of GTA IV combined in the US right now, and it's still selling in the top ten every month. Smash Brothers was also pretty dominant.

Mario Kart DS, though? What the heck? I mean I suppose I shouldn't be surprised since it's been known to show up once or twice in the Japanese top ten list this year, but still. DAYUM.

******** estimated that Wii would come in at around 3 million for the USA over the period based on Americas figures. We’ll be watching Nintendo’s shipment results on January 29 to see whether a bit of an adjustment is necessary, but we doubt it given that NPD has to estimate for Walmart, which picked up market share in December, and Toys R US, which is a strong Nintendo vendor. All other NPD hardware results were nearly identical to our estimates for the USA. DS sales were estimated by VGC for the USA at 90% of the 3.2m Americas figures, or 2.9m which is quite close to what NPD reported. Xbox 360 Americas figures were 1.75m, which translates to about 1.57m for the USA. PS3 was estimated at about 740,000 for the USA, NPD reported 730,000. PS2 was estimated on VGC at about 480,000 for the USA, NPD reported 410,000 for the USA. PSP figures were estimated at 900,000, NPD reported 1.02m
Chumly said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

OMFG I cant stop laughing at the sheer stupidity

They were OFF by 1.3 MILLION:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I know. I always get a kick out of his bullzhit excuses. Nintendo has verified npd's sales numbers. I repeat, Nintendo has verified NPD's numbers. He doesn't seem to know how npd works and he keeps coming up with the bullshit ToysrUS and Walmart excuse. npd works directly with Walmart. They are not permitted to use Walmart data but they definitely know what sells there. Zhit head keeps using these lame excuses even after the industry issues PR that touts their sales as per npd. What a moron.
And when he's close it's like he's always close. Statistically speaking, it happens but not often enough to take him seriously. 10% this, 10% that, blah, blah, vomit. And this is only hardware. I won't even go into the software train wrecks.

WretchedTruman said:
It was the only reason why Blu Ray won the HD war. Apparently, Stringer weighed the two evils and found that they would much rather tolerate seeing the PS3 turn into some kind of Greek tragedy over suffering through Betamax 2.0. Seriously, who the hell wants that on their gravestone.
I like you. Good post.

Oblivion said:
Only 16 pages in 2 hours? I'm starting to get worried here, guys. :(
Not getting top 20 and half the top 10 being the same crap it has been for months = boring NPD day.

If someone had half an inkling of fiscal responsibility they would buy neither.
The supposition rules that out in the first place, but uh... duh?

FirewalkR said:
HELLO GOOD SIRS!

Someone said in the KZ2 thread that if someone posted a KZ2 gif in here, people would cry.

http://i43.tinypic.com/k410p.jpg[/IM]

Here, gentle people!!!

Now don't cry, come join us in the Alamo. Be brave as I have just (possibly suicidally) been.

So many watch and so few join the party. Be brave, good people. [B]Be brave![/B]

*runs and **incredibly** dodges Evilore*[/QUOTE]

Complelling gameplay.

ThatHurt

FirewalkR said:
HELLO GOOD SIRS!

k410p.jpg

Here, gentle people!!!

So many watch and so few join the party. Be brave, good people. Be brave!

*runs and **incredibly** dodges Evilore*

is that haloz?
that should about do it

Jammy

Banned
farnham said:
i really want to know how wii music did..

the top 20 i want to have it

The number was earlier in the thread. IGN leaked it, and said the LTD is slightly less than 900,000, putting this month's numbers for it at slightly under 500,000 and probably right below Animal Crossing: City Folk's spot.

Haunted

OuterWorldVoice said:
It has reached the point where it's just a feedback loop. It used to be a great place for impressions and really granular info. Now it's just a bizarre paranoid gif factory. Isn't there a cleaned up official thread?>
Criticism is punishable by death. I just completely avoid anything KZ2 related since a couple weeks and hope that the official thread will be bearable.

I've got nothing against positive circle jerks, but it's gotten out of hand. At least one or two of the mods will have the game and keep check so the official thread will be tolerable, I hope.

Mrbob

DevelopmentArrested said:
I'm still waiting for you to explain why you think people who buy Wii Fit are buying it for the balance board only. Thanks.

Not sure what you are getting at..what else would they use it for? Not like I see the Shaun White Snowboarding game doing gangbusters on the system.

onipex

Wow the PS3 is in bad shape sales wise. The Wii is looking great and the 360 is looking good. The DS is just ...wow.

Son of Godzilla said:
You presume too much. The saying was never "Games don't sell on the Wii" or "Third party games don't sell on the Wii", it was "Look at all that shit".

Why do people care about shoelware? If it sucks don't buy it. We're hardcore gamers, we read the reviews, we have no excuse in being suckered in by a shitty game.

What matters is the top end of the library, not the bottom.

Son of Godzilla said:
.Also nobody fucking buys a system the day after Xmas.

Huh? Kids cashing in gift cards and christmas money (especially for the cheaper ticket items like the handhelds) would seem to make this one of the better days for picking one up.

FirewalkR

Haunted said:
Criticism is punishable by death. I just completely avoid anything KZ2 related since a couple weeks and hope that the official thread will be bearable.

I've got nothing against positive circle jerks, but it's gotten out of hand. At least one or two of the mods will have the game and keep check so the official thread will be tolerable, I hope.

Don't be afraid, gentleman. Come to the KZ2 thread, yes, right through this door...

*Readies baseball bat*

Mrbob said:
Not sure what you are getting at..what else would they use it for? Not like I see the Shaun White Snowboarding game doing gangbusters on the system.
Isn't there a piece of software included with the balance board or? Isn't that piece of software the reason people BUY Wii Fit? Hmm..

So since Shaun White isn't selling doesn't that mean that WII FIT THE SOFTWARE IS THE REASON they are buying Wii Fit? Way to prove my point for me, genius.

markatisu

Mrbob said:

Ubisoft expects Shaun White Wii to sell 1 mil, and according to last months press releases it had outsold the 360 and PS3 versions.

Raving Rabbids TV Party which uses the board for about 1/2 the games (if you use the advanced settings) is doing good in the US and UK, Ubisoft expects 1.5m

We Ski has sold between 500k-700k and a sequel is coming

Wii Music is almost a 1 million, it uses the Balance Board for the drums

Evlar

Banned
Mrbob said:
There's something whimsical, yet tragic about this argument.

Haunted

FirewalkR said:
Don't be afraid, gentleman. Come to the KZ2 thread, yes, right through this door...

*Readies baseball bat*
:lol exactly.

Anyway, I hope we'll get the Top 20 embedded/mentioned in some article soon. Should be very interesting.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm lazy now- what are the latest Mario Kart Wii numbers from the U.K

Trying to get a sense where it is world wide..

MechDX

WretchedTruman said:
It was the only reason why Blu Ray won the HD war. Apparently, Stringer weighed the two evils and found that they would much rather tolerate seeing the PS3 turn into some kind of Greek tragedy over suffering through Betamax 2.0. Seriously, who the hell wants that on their gravestone.

Wasnt the decision for BD inclusion into the PS3 made way before stringer joined Sony? Im talking already in production when he joined.

I know there was "insider talk" during the format wars that Stringer had made comments that BluRay had to win. There was no plan B for Sony.

Arde5643

Mrbob said:
Obviously because any game not in NPD top 10 is a total and utter failure.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah my family contributed to two of those DS sales...

Yay at Animal Crossing. :D

Holy damn at GHWT Wii. Activision is fricking rolling in barrels of cash now I bet.

Thunder Monkey said:
Demise?

No.

GCN irrelevance?

Good chance.

You'll still get games, but they won't happen with the speed of PlayStation history.

Eh, the PS3 is big enough to support multiplat development and that's all that really matters. You'd have to be pretty stupid not to put it multiplat unless you're like Insomniac, Epic, or Bioware, and are getting help with development resources or advertising for your game in exchange for exclusivity. For all the doom and gloom about hardware sales last year, PS3 still had a good line up of exclusives this year.

farnham

Banned
markatisu said:
Ubisoft expects Shaun White Wii to sell 1 mil, and according to last months press releases it had outsold the 360 and PS3 versions.

Raving Rabbids TV Party which uses the board for about 1/2 the games (if you use the advanced settings) is doing good in the US and UK, Ubisoft expects 1.5m

We Ski has sold between 500k-700k and a sequel is coming

Wii Music is almost a 1 million, it uses the Balance Board for the drums
we ski sold 1 million according to a press release (world wide)
we cheer or skate it uses the balanceboard as well..

and tonyhawk will probably use the balance board

Haunted said:

:lol don't.

CrazzyMan

Banned
Gaborn said:
Down the road you've got a great point, but the poster I was responding to was making an excuse for the PS3's CURRENT hardware performance. It's too expensive for the mass market now. It'll obviously come down in price at some point, and should sell more to consumers as a result. But the fact is because Sony took a gamble on Blu Ray not just winning the HD format war but catching on with consumers in the near term Sony chose to take it out of the sales race for a significant part of it's life cycle. That was IT'S choice. You can say that's a good decision in the future but that doesn't change the present.

Yes, it`s too expensive. Yes, PS3 was outselling x360 in NA for almost whole year, and only in last several months x360 went ahead.
Same can happen to PS3 at mass market price in a long term.

Though, PS3 is not performing as good as PS2 in NA and in Japan(in Europe it`s doing pretty good), Sony are lucky with x360. Wii is number 1 in terms of sales, yet MOST high rated 3rd party (multiplatform) games are being released on PS360.
There is NO need for PS3 to catch x360 or Wii in near future.
Nobody is going to ignore +20 mln. userbase.
More over, PS3 will continue to get 3rd party Japanese support, no matter what, since it is the only HD console in Japan, that can have good SW sales. And Wii with PS3 can co-exist.
x360 will be getting exclusive/timed exclusive Japan oriented games as long, as MS is willing to pay for ignoring Japan PS3 userbase.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Andrex said:
Yeah my family contributed to two of those DS sales...

Yay at Animal Crossing. :D

Holy damn at GHWT Wii. Activision is fricking rolling in barrels of cash now I bet.

Yeah for the same game I played on the GC!

Man we really need at least a top twenty. These numbers are boring.

Top Bottom