• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2008

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
I was thinking the PS3 would be doing better right now if Sony had not taken out the backward compatible. Everyone I know who is causal gamers always ask me if the new PS3 has backward compatible with the PS2. When I tell them No they get a surprise look on their face.

Stumpokapow said:
dude he's a lawyer he could sue you for slander!
Pffft.

I'll just hire him to be my lawyer if he sues me.

8xpudc.jpg

Tobor

TwinIonEngines said:
AstroLad owns all gaming platforms and is perfectly unbiased in his objective assessment of their relative quality. Well known fact.

Dax was joking, as was Astrolad, as was I, as was Bulla...well, almost all of us are joking.

Opiate

Gotchaye said:
I'm confused about something:

Why are people who generally dislike the Wii pushing this idea that the Wii doesn't sell third party games very well? Why are people that seem to like the Wii fighting back so hard with the graphs and such showing that it sells much more than the PS3 does?

If third party software on the Wii was selling in the same proportion to first party software as third party software on the PS3 was selling to first party software, wouldn't the obvious conclusion be that third parties are doing exactly what the Wii's market wants? If third parties are having tremendous difficulty competing with Nintendo on the Wii, isn't the obvious conclusion that the third party offerings on the systems aren't what the Wii's market is looking for? Isn't there general agreement that Nintendo's first party titles are much more appealing to core gamers than the typical (or even above-average) third party title on the Wii?

I just don't understand why the same people who complain that the Wii has nothing but shovelware apart from a few titles like Mario Galaxy and such will then turn around and say "ha, Wii owners aren't buying crappy games!" What is it that some of you are trying to say when you say that Wii owners don't buy third party games? It's clear that it's meant to somehow disparage the system or its userbase, but in what sense does it do that? How is it more than an attack on third parties for miserably failing to give the Wii's userbase what it wants?

It's a catch 22, isn't it? Looking at it from either perspective. For example, consider third party sales for the Wii:

1) Because Wii owners buy the third party games being given to them, we conclude they like the crap they're being fed and feed them more of it.

2) If Wii owners did not buy these games, third parties definitely would slow support down. Obviously they aren't going to start spending a great deal more if they're already doing poorly.

Using this logic, there is no outcome that actually fosters the creation of better games for the Wii. And while I may make this logic seem absurd, I think a great deal of publishers are using this exact logic, and we're seeing the result on the Wii system itself. This is why negative feedback loops are so hard to break out of. In Nintendo's case, they're in a feedback loop that started with the Nintendo 64, which means they've been spiralling downward for more than a decade. It's a very difficult cycle to break out of.

Timber

this has probably been asked, but i dont wanna read the whole thread...

are there any software numbers/rankings available beyond the usual top 10? i'd like to know how various games performed and the top 10 every month is just wii stuff + some hot shit blockbusters. boring as heck.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
TwinIonEngines said:
AstroLad owns all gaming platforms

What's sad is how few posters on here you can actually get this objectivity from. I swear I can't even post in these threads at first because I'm just reading the "analysis" and saying to myself "smh, smh, smh." Plus I know what consoles people own for the most part, and that makes the discussions all the worst to follow when the biases are laid bear like that.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Bulla564 said:
A X360 clone in the sense that it plays games, has FPS's, and multi-platform games, etc? I'll disregard such a silly question, and re-affirm that Sony has IMO better exclusives coming out in 2009. That's the differentiation that a console enjoys (and your beloved Blu-ray feature).

Please tell me what are the better exclusives coming in 2009.

And please don't say 2010 exclusives like FF XIII vs, GoW 3 or GT5; keep it 2009.

Jag22

Banned
TJ Spyke said:
3rd party games with confirmed sales of over 1 million:

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
Carnival Games
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Sonic and the Secret Rings
We Ski
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
Red Steel
Rock Band
Deca Sports
Game Party
Guitar Hero World Tour

There are others, but these one have confirmed sources.

I don't see how someone can look at this and say "the Wii audience doesn't want mini-game compilations". Because they obviously do.

Bulla564

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Just like how the PS3 had better exclusives in 2008 right?
Shame the sales charts didn't reflect as such.

It did actually, and yeah, it's a shame. Wii Play gets rewarded, LBP doesn't. It's just the way things are...

Pureauthor said:
Your opinion, in such a vague general form, is worthless. As before, I reiterate - details. What is it about these games from the 'better exclusives' that will draw in the crowds? What about them differentiates them from the exclusives that Sony already had, and how will it allow the PS3 to escape it's stigma as a X360 clone.

The stigma has always been the price. Get it right. And what is it about the games? Don't know. I picture in my head a group of people standing in a room with two doors. Each door is displaying the current and future line-ups of the consoles. IMO, PS3 has the shinnier automatic sliding doors.

If you'd actually paid attention to economics, you'd know that humans are motivated by incentives, and that price is merely an incentive, and oftentimes not the most important one.

Where have you been? price cuts are not the only incentives I have mentioned here OVER AND OVER.

AstroLad said:
What's sad is how few posters on here you can actually get this objectivity from. I swear I can't even post in these threads at first because I'm just reading the "analysis" and saying to myself "smh, smh, smh." Plus I know what consoles people own for the most part, and that makes the discussions all the worst to follow when the biases are laid bear like that.
Do you also say "ffs" as well or is that reserved for something else?

le.phat

manueldelalas said:

And please don't say 2010 exclusives like FF XIII vs, GoW 3 or GT5; keep it 2009.

why bother ? its all a matter of opinion, and you're not going to agree with him anyway.

Opiate

Jag22 said:
I don't see how someone can look at this and say "the Wii audience doesn't want mini-game compilations". Because they obviously do.

I agree. I think it's absurd to suggest that the mini-game genre isn't popular on the Wii. Clearly there is a market there. I'm not entirely sure why some people fight so hard to insist it isn't the case.

DNF

Timber said:
this has probably been asked, but i dont wanna read the whole thread...

are there any software numbers/rankings available beyond the usual top 10? i'd like to know how various games performed and the top 10 every month is just wii stuff + some hot shit blockbusters. boring as heck.

In a few days there will be probably platform-specific top-10 available again.

PuppetMaster said:
If you are only selling your product to 10% of the user base of a platform, that tells you that you are only reaching a very niche group of people who own that hardware. ...But if you are selling your product to 50% of the install base, that tells you that your product nicely matches with the target demographic of the platform.
Barring bundled games*, 50% is never reached by any software, even that produced by platform holders (which by your argument is perfectly geared to the target demographic). The best percentages ever reached are by Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros. Melee--and neither is at 33%.

*And the special case of Wii Play.

Bulla564 said:
The stigma has always been the price. Get it right. And what is it about the games? Don't know. I picture in my head a group of people standing in a room with two doors. Each door is displaying the current and future line-ups of the consoles. IMO, PS3 has the shinnier automatic sliding doors.

So basically you're just basing this entire thing on some vague personal opinions. 'Kay

Where have you been? price cuts are not the only incentives I have mentioned here OVER AND OVER.

And yet you cannot (or refuse) to elaborate on them beyond 'Better lineup.' In fact, as you just admitted, you 'don't know'.

This discussion is over. It's 3:35 a.m. where I live and I am going to bed.

manueldelalas said:

Does this really need to become a list warz thread? It's bad enough already.

botticus

Opiate said:
I agree. I think it's absurd to suggest that the mini-game genre isn't popular on the Wii. Clearly there is a market there. I'm not entirely sure why some people fight so hard to insist it isn't the case.
I wouldn't argue with that, but when you see that two-thirds of that list is something else, there's clearly a market for other types of games as well.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Just like how the PS3 had better exclusives in 2008 right?
Shame the sales charts didn't reflect as such.
Sales = Quality. Absolutely foolproof, right?

Fanboys from every side have a tragic story refuting that very assumption.

Tobor said:
It's Intelligent Design guys! Not creationism.

And gravity is actually Intelligent Falling.

And the PS3 is actually Intelligent Failing.

You put that gravity line there just so you could make that lame pun, didn't you.

Man, I need some sleep.

Sales = Quality. Absolutely foolproof, right?

This be sale thread, hombre.

Banned
Bill_the_Butcher said:
Because people are acting like because of these sales the Sony should board up the windows and close up shop. It's just not the case. It's fanboy garbage. It's very likely that the PS3 equaled or outsold the 360 is 2008 worldwide, yet by reading this thread you would think the console war is over. I do realize that this is sales for the US, hence my post, I think it is other people that don't realize that NPD's only reflect 1 territory; why don't you go bark up their tree?

We have US, Japan, UK and France numbers for 2008.

US+Japan+UK+France 2008

360 7054016
PS3 6322467

360 increased its lead by 731,549 in these countries.

Hell I'm still sore that The World Ends with You isn't in the Top 5 for this year.

AND STOP DRAGGING THE REST OF THE WORLD INTO THIS THREAD!

GODDAMN SHITTY MCFUCKITS!

There are Media-Create/Famitsu threads for explaining Japan sales numbers and European threads for explaining ????? sales numbers. Plenty of space there to talk about which countries really matter.

Evlar

Banned
Pureauthor said:
This be sale thread, hombre.
People do keep using words like "better", though. With a superlative just hanging out naked like that it's understandable people think the discussion has moved to quality rather than quantity.

Opiate

botticus said:
I wouldn't argue with that, but when you see that two-thirds of that list is something else, there's clearly a market for other types of games as well.

I also agree with this.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Hell I'm still sore that The World Ends with You isn't in the Top 5 for this year.

If it serves for something, I just ordered it last Sunday. Of course, Best Buy is being obnoxiously lazy and I should get some time next week. :(

Tobor

AstroLad said:

I wasn't aware you had purchased an iPhone/iPod Touch. Until you own the handheld gaming platform of the future, you are the laid bear.

TJ Spyke

Regulus Tera said:
If it serves for something, I just ordered it last Sunday. Of course, Best Buy is being obnoxiously lazy and I should get some time next week. :(

Did you try to do the In-Store pick-up option or was it not available at your closest Best Buy?

Parl

Xisiqomelir said:
Hail to the King, baby
From the Killzone 2 thread. Quite a lot dislike NPD day over there.
DeZimatoR said:
AstroLad said:
i wish i knew every poster's post history on all forums from back around the ps2 release when they were shitting all over the dc and burying it so i could take that shit and dirt and rub it in their fucking faces now.

"year of the ps3!!!!11oneone"

ps shane is no longer regularly podcasting fuckers

I mean, just look at that. o_O

That guy has some really serious issues...damn, some people really have lost it. Scary.

FrankT

Parl said:
From the Killzone 2 thread. Quite a lot dislike NPD day over there.

:lol

Karma said:
We have US, Japan, UK and France numbers for 2008.

US+Japan+UK+France 2008

360 7054016
PS3 6322467

360 increased its lead by 731,549 in these countries.

Yea, you don't go from a 5.5/6 million lead to 8 million by equal sales or less, heh. Joke argument indeed.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
TJ Spyke said:
Did you try to do the In-Store pick-up option or was it not available at your closest Best Buy?

Not available anywhere in the city. There was not a single copy of TWEWY in all of Texas, apparently, since the package is coming from motherfucking Kentucky.

Where the fuck is Kentucky, anyway (not from the US)?

Tobor

Pureauthor said:
You put that gravity line there just so you could make that lame pun, didn't you.

To be honest, it was the other way around. :lol I've been using the Intelligent Falling gag for quite a while.

I find it disturbing that people who don't participate in this thread actually serve to relay posts from here to the KZ2 thread.

Must be part of the Resistance movement or something.

Tobor

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I find it disturbing that people who don't participate in this thread actually serve to relay posts from here to the KZ2 thread.

It's like the Berlin airlift over there.

Evlar

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Not available anywhere in the city. There was not a single copy of TWEWY in all of Texas, apparently, since the package is coming from motherfucking Kentucky.

Where the fuck is Kentucky, anyway (not from the US)?
It's south of Illinois, west of North Carolina and West Virginia, north of oh forget it. It's mixed up in the middle.

PepsimanVsJoe said:

This very page proves that the same can be said vice versa.

Top Bottom