• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2008

Gotchaye

Opiate, I think you're right on that. Third parties' thinking isn't inexcusable - they don't have to take weak sales as proof that there's no point in spending more, just as a sign that there's a risk in spending more (which there is) - but it does seem to me that it's obvious from the data that third parties have a tremendous amount of room to expand on the Wii. I can understand individual third parties being leery of being the first to try making a big budget game in a given genre, but we can state pretty confidently that a big budget third party game in some genre would do pretty well.

My problem is mostly with the cognitive dissonance exhibited by those who attack the Wii for having relatively weak third party sales. I imagine that most third parties are at least aware of its potential for sales and are just uncertain of how best to take advantage of that. However, many posters on message boards seem to embrace the logic you outlined without any awareness that no amount of new data could convince them that the Wii could sell a big budget third party game. It's as if they think that the absurdly casual grandmothers buying all of the Wii games make sure to check the backs of boxes to make sure that something's published by Nintendo before purchasing it.

I also agree with you completely that the Wii has a big market for party games. Even here, though, I think that third parties are doing a pretty poor job. No one's come out with something better than Wii Sports in two years, and Carnival Games, while clearly one of the better options, has many obvious flaws.

Edit: I think it works to Nintendo's disadvantage here that their big titles are all slightly off-genre. Mario isn't a platformer like most platformers that third parties would put out, Zelda isn't quite an action-adventure game, and Metroid has a lot of odd conventions for a shooter. Nintendo put out Wii Sports, had massive success, and saw a lot of copycats. But they haven't demonstrated to third parties that other mainstream genres can be successful on the Wii. Shooters, broadly defined, have had reasonable success (Red Steel, Metroid, RE), but that's the one genre that the 360 and PS3 are easily better at supporting than the Wii.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Xisiqomelir said:
What do I own?

Well off the top of my head Wii, PS3, & DS. I'm not at home though so there could be wrong--I think what I jotted down was that your biggest deficit was not having a gaming PC, but again this is subject to being false just because I'm working from memory. Also, the spreadsheet is far from perfect--for example it is very difficult to parcel out who owns a PSP since there's just not that much discussion of it in general, so I have a lot of questions marks in that column. Still a pretty useful overall guide though IMO.

Tobor said:
I wasn't aware you had purchased an iPhone/iPod Touch. Until you own the handheld gaming platform of the future, you are the laid bear.

You're making a highly valid point here, but I still maintain true to my stance. Hell, people told me back when I was talking about this whole ideal of the the Unbiased Gamer that I shouldn't even include portables as they're not "consoles" and that owning all the "consoles" is enough. Well I stuck to my guns there, and especially when it came to including a gaming PC in the criterion, but at the same time I do keep it reasonable.
When I was discussing this concept, one of the biggest complaints was ":lol :lol I don't have that kind of money to waste, but I'm still not biased." To which I said, "bullshit, it doesn't cost that much" for the simple reason that you have your three consoles, your two portables, and one gaming PC. I could add older consoles to the mix, or things like ITunes or whatever, but that would compromise the inclusivness of the concept, which is very much contrary to the original intent behind this ideal.

Tobor said:
But this can mean only one thing...we're all nerds!!!!!

NERDS!!!!!!!!
I look forward to NPD (am usually here around 6:30 pm EST). I see the results, bailout from pages 3 or so to 29 or whatever*, then come back.

*It varies from NPD to NPD, but that is probably a good guesstimate.

Tobor

Dax01 said:
I look forward to NPD (am usually here around 6:30 pm EST). I see the results, bailout from pages 3 or so to 29 or whatever*, then come back.

*It varies from NPD to NPD, but that is probably a good guesstimate.

We already knew how nerdy you were, nerdlinger.

Cipherr

donny2112 said:
Because how your game sells compared to the first-party games on the system is a more significant metric than how many units your games sells. Exactly.

Is this sarcasm donny or am I reading what your saying wrong?

Hypothetically as a third party I cant see any reason other than personal vanity to give a rats ass how your games sold in relation to the first party games on whatever system you have released yur games. The single most important thing to me would be how many units my game sold and how profitable we are. Why exactly would I be spiritually deflated because my game sold 4 million and theres a first party game that sold 10?

Any competitor covets the number one spot for certain, however in this case it seems extremely silly, especially since Nintendo is outselling any and all publishers across any and all platforms.

Uprooting and selling my 4million games on the 360 doesn't make me any more or less successful or relevant just because the first party games on 360 aren't huge chart toppers every month of the year. I would still be losing overall to Nintendo no matter what platform I was developing on. Is a multi million dollar businesses ability to put up a pie chart showing that they sold a larger piece of the pie % in relation to first party software on that platform REALLY more important than how many units of their game they were able to sell? If this is really the case I'm going to have to go ahead and cease being surprised in any shape or fashion that all of these 3rd party developers are being "acquired" closed and posting losses like never before. Valuing your sales in relation to the #1 publisher on the planet more so than valuing your own profitability seems extraordinarily broken, and leaves me wondering what other kind of blatant business mistakes are being made on top of that one.

FrankT

Wait, so let me get this straight. You got a spreadsheet and you're keeping tabs on everyones purchases/owned systems. Oh magical 8 ball Astrolad what do I own. You will not be dissapointed (unless it's handhelds, but I can count my daughter's, right :).

Tobor

AstroLad said:
Well off the top of my head Wii, PS3, & DS. I'm not at home though so there could be wrong--I think what I jotted down was that your biggest deficit was not having a gaming PC, but again this is subject to being false just because I'm working from memory. Also, the spreadsheet is far from perfect--for example it is very difficult to parcel out who owns a PSP since there's just not that much discussion of it in general, so I have a lot of questions marks in that column. Still a pretty useful overall guide though IMO.

You're making a highly valid point here, but I still maintain true to my stance. Hell, people told me back when I was talking about this whole ideal of the the Unbiased Gamer that I shouldn't even include portables as they're not "consoles" and that owning all the "consoles" is enough. Well I stuck to my guns there, and especially when it came to including a gaming PC in the criterion, but at the same time I do keep it reasonable.
When I was discussing this concept, one of the biggest complaints was ":lol :lol I don't have that kind of money to waste, but I'm still not biased." To which I said, "bullshit, it doesn't cost that much" for the simple reason that you have your three consoles, your two portables, and one gaming PC. I could add older consoles to the mix, or things like ITunes or whatever, but that would compromise the inclusivness of the concept, which is very much contrary to the original intent behind this ideal.

Until you have tasted from the fountain of pure digital download perfection, also known as the App Store, you are tainted. I now must hold your opinions as suspect, and demand a new column be added to the spreadsheet immediately.

Xisiqomelir

AstroLad said:

Top tier :lol

Threi

notag
AstroLad said:
why does every gaffer seem to have info about everyone everywhere...

:|

Tobor

Dax01 said:
Astrolad didn't know!

I have my own spreadsheet, detailing GAF nerdiness. It's basically a list of every username with a checkmark in the "Nerd?" box. I find it to be incredibly accurate.

Threi said:
why does every gaffer seem to have info about everyone everywhere...

:|

For example, by reviewing my chart, I see that Threi is a nerd.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Jtyettis said:
Wait, so let me get this straight. You got a spreadsheet and you're keeping tabs on everyones purchases/owned systems. Oh magical 8 ball Astrolad what do I own. You will not be dissapointed (unless it's handhelds, but I can count my daughter's, right :).

Ok ok, I'd do it but I better stop just going from memory now because I might wind up looking like a fool with some of the things I say.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Tobor said:
But this can mean only one thing...we're all nerds!!!!!

NERDS!!!!!!!!
It's great to be a Nerd, It's great to be a Nerd,
The only light we ever see is from our monitor

Grecco

AstroLad said:

l.

You have a spreadsheet on every gaffer? Really? Is this a joke?

Tobor

Masklinn said:
You mean you don't have one?

Exactly.

Picture6.png

TJ Spyke

AstroLad said:

If you care, I own Wii/Xbox 360/PlayStation 3/Nintendo DS.

Parl

AstroLad said:
What systems do I own?

Tobor said:
You should be more specific; you should add a scale of 1-10, 10 being the nerdiest you can get.

So, um, yeah. PS3 is doing REALLY BADLY, like, GAMECUBE BADLY. And they have no games, and their games don't sell well. And the PS3 is doomed.

etc etc.

Coverly

Grecco said:
You have a spreadsheet on every gaffer? Really? Is this a joke?

Actually it's not that uncommon. I have friends who don't do the whole msg board thing but have 'hate' lists in the mmos they play with descriptions. It's not to far a stretch to consider a person having a list for this forum if the time spent is comparable to that of an mmo.

I would actually like to see how this list looks like. care to post a portion of it astrolag?

AstroLad said:

AstroLad
Hail to the KING baby
(Today, 02:57 PM)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Grecco said:
You have a spreadsheet on every gaffer?

Not to toot my own horn, but I actually transferred it over from Access into Excel just to make it easier to use. I described the system, which has only been slightly tweaked since, in this thread from a while back: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213532

Not every gaffer though, and as I said before it does have it's flaws to be sure. It would never be admissible in a Court of Law as Evidence or anything, but it serves it's purpose well and makes reading GAF and responding to people a lot easier.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
WretchedTruman said:
you should also take into consideration the sheer number of third party titles on the Wii, no matter how mundane or insignificant they may be.

If this chart reflected the real world situation, do you really think many third parties would even be bothering with the PS3 at this point?

That chart's pretty healthy for PS3 as far as third party HD stuff goes.

If it's to be believed, in the period Nov 06 - Nov 08 (I guess is the period since it seems to be 2 year's from Wii's launch?) PS3 has sold 25m units of third party software, to 360's 35m, in the US.

25m out of a total 'HD' market of 60m, or ~42%. Which, coincidentally, lines up perfectly with the global userbase numbers of 20:28m (also ~42% of the HD market).

That ain't bad, is it? Particularly in their 'relatively' worst performing territory, where the userbase figures are actually skewed more particularly against it relative to 360 than those global figures (in fact, it makes me wonder about third party unit sales per platform for this period, based on those numbers).

It also, in the period Nov 2007 - Nov 2008, shows growth in PS3's share of third party HD sales from 5/20m (25%) to that figure of 42% at the end of the period covered by the chart.

That, again, is assuming I'm reading the chart right, and that the numbers aren't funked up..

Tobor

Dax01 said:
You should be more specific; you should add a scale of 1-10, 10 being the nerdiest you can get.

So, um, yeah. PS3 is doing REALLY BADLY, like, GAMECUBE BADLY. And they have no games, and their games don't sell well. And the PS3 is doomed.

etc etc.

I work with the "If a beautiful woman heard you saying the type of things you post on GAF, would she go to bed with you?" scale. The check means no. Wives are discounted, as they have already been trapped.

Parl said:
What systems do I own?

From a cursory glance at your posting history, a PC and PS3 seem obvious. Also...

/adds Parl to list and checks box

Tobor said:
I work with the "If a beautiful woman heard you saying the type of things you post on GAF, would she go to bed with you?" scale. The check means no. Wives are discounted, as they have already been trapped.
Fuck. I'm doomed even before I get to college. :(

Edit:
Bulla564 said:
A $600 shock?
Just admit that you are backing the wrong system, just like you backed the wrong person during the Democratic primaries. Don't make the same type of mistake twice.

Bulla564 said:
The stigma has always been the price. Get it right.

In Japan, the PS3's MSRP is the same as the PS2's price was when it launched yet the PS3 has sold less units in 2008 then it did in 2007. It's not just the price.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Kobun Heat said:

Yes u win :D

Top 20 Games of December 2008

1. WII PLAY W/ REMOTE WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA
2. CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR* 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
3. WII FIT WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA
4. MARIO KART WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA
5. GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* WII ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
6. GEARS OF WAR 2* 360 MICROSOFT
7. LEFT 4 DEAD 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS
8. MARIO KART NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA
9. CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR PS3 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
10. ANIMAL CROSSING: CITY FOLK* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA
11. WII MUSIC WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA
12. NEW SUPER MARIO BROS NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA
13. PERSONAL TRAINER: COOKING NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA
14. FALLOUT 3* 360 BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
15. CLUB PENGUIN: ELITE PENGUIN FORCE NDS DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS
16. LINK'S CROSSBOW TRAINING WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA
17. GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* PS2 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
18. MADDEN NFL 09* 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS
19. CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR WII ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
20. SHAUN WHITE SNOWBOARDING: ROAD TRIP WII UBISOFT

Top 10 Wii Games

1. WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA
2. WII WII FIT NINTENDO OF AMERICA
3. WII MARIO KART NINTENDO OF AMERICA
4. WII GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
5. WII ANIMAL CROSSING: CITY FOLK* NINTENDO OF AMERICA
6. WII WII MUSIC NINTENDO OF AMERICA
7. WII LINK'S CROSSBOW TRAINING NINTENDO OF AMERICA
8. WII CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
9. WII SHAUN WHITE SNOWBOARDING: ROAD TRIP UBISOFT
10. WII NERF N STRIKE ELECTRONIC ARTS

Top 10 Xbox 360 Games

1. 360 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
2. 360 GEARS OF WAR 2* MICROSOFT
3. 360 LEFT 4 DEAD ELECTRONIC ARTS
4. 360 FALLOUT 3* BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
5. 360 MADDEN NFL 09* ELECTRONIC ARTS
6. 360 GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
7. 360 MORTAL KOMBAT VS. DC UNIVERSE* MIDWAY
8. 360 ROCK BAND 2* MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS
9. 360 FABLE II* MICROSOFT
10. 360 PRINCE OF PERSIA* UBISOFT

Top 10 PlayStation 2 Games

1. PS2 GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
2. PS2 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS
3. PS2 KINGDOM HEARTS RE: CHAIN OF MEMORIES SQUARE ENIX INC
4. PS2 WWE SMACKDOWN VS. RAW 2009 THQ
5. PS2 ROCK BAND* MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS
6. PS2 ACTION/ADVENTURE BUNDLE MULTIPLE VIDEO GAME MANUFACTURER
7. PS2 SONIC UNLEASHED SEGA OF AMERICA
8. PS2 LEGO BATMAN WARNER INTERACTIVE
9. PS2 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR FINAL FRONTS ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
10. PS2 GUITAR HERO AEROSMITH* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

Top 10 PlayStation 3 Games

1. PS3 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
2. PS3 MORTAL KOMBAT VS. DC UNIVERSE* MIDWAY
3. PS3 LITTLE BIG PLANET SONY
4. PS3 PRINCE OF PERSIA* UBISOFT
5. PS3 GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
6. PS3 RESISTANCE 2* SONY
7. PS3 MADDEN NFL 09* ELECTRONIC ARTS
8. PS3 FALLOUT 3* BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
9. PS3 ROCK BAND 2* MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS
10. PS3 NEED FOR SPEED: UNDERCOVER ELECTRONIC ARTS

Top 10 Game Boy Advance Games

1. GBA ACTION/ADVENTURE BUNDLE MULTIPLE VIDEO GAME MANUFACTURER
2. GBA YAHTZEE/PAYDAY/GAME OF LIFE DESTINATION SOFTWARE INC.
3. GBA HOT WHEELS: ALL OUT DESTINATION SOFTWARE INC.
4. GBA RISK/BATTLESHIP/CLUE DESTINATION SOFTWARE INC.
5. GBA UNO 52 DESTINATION SOFTWARE INC.
6. GBA DISNEY PRINCESS: ROYAL ADVENTURE DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS
7. GBA PUPPY LUV: SPA & RESORT ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
8. GBA DISNEY'S ENCHANTED DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS
9. GBA DISNEY'S LITTLE MERMAID: MAGIC IN TWO KINGDOMS DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS
10. GBA MOUSETRAP/OPERATION/SIMON DESTINATION SOFTWARE INC.

Top 10 Nintendo DS Games

1. NDS MARIO KART NINTENDO OF AMERICA
2. NDS NEW SUPER MARIO BROS NINTENDO OF AMERICA
3. NDS PERSONAL TRAINER: COOKING NINTENDO OF AMERICA
4. NDS CLUB PENGUIN: ELITE PENGUIN FORCE DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS
5. NDS KIRBY SUPER STAR ULTRA NINTENDO OF AMERICA
6. NDS POKEMON RANGER: SHADOWS OF ALMIA NINTENDO OF AMERICA
7. NDS BRAIN AGE 2: MORE TRAINING IN MINUTES A DAY NINTENDO OF AMERICA
8. NDS MARIO PARTY NINTENDO OF AMERICA
9. NDS GUITAR HERO ON TOUR DECADES* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
10. NDS BRAIN AGE: TRAIN YOUR BRAIN IN MINUTES A DAY NINTENDO OF AMERICA

Top 10 PSP Games

1. PSP MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS
2. PSP WWE SMACKDOWN VS. RAW 2009 THQ
3. PSP LEGO BATMAN WARNER INTERACTIVE
4. PSP MIDNIGHT CLUB: LA REMIX TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE
5. PSP STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED LUCASARTS
6. PSP IRON MAN SEGA OF AMERICA
7. PSP NEED FOR SPEED: UNDERCOVER ELECTRONIC ARTS
8. PSP NBA LIVE 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS
9. PSP GRAND THEFT AUTO: LIBERTY CITY STORIES TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE
10. PSP GRAND THEFT AUTO: VICE CITY STORIES TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE

Top 10 Accessories

1. WII NUNCHUK CONTROLLER NINTENDO OF AMERICA
2. WII REMOTE CONTROLLER W/ JACKET NINTENDO OF AMERICA
3. WII REMOTE CONTROLLER NINTENDO OF AMERICA
4. PS3 DUALSHOCK 3 WIRELESS CONTROLLER SONY
5. WII CHARGE STATION NYKO
6. WII WHEEL GRIP NINTENDO OF AMERICA
7. WII PERFECT SHOT GUN GRIP NYKO
8. 360 LIVE 12 MONTH GOLD CARD MICROSOFT
9. 360 WIRELESS CONTROLLER MICROSOFT
10. 360 WIRELESS CONTROLLER BLACK MICROSOFT

LOL@Mortal Kombat Nr. 2 on Ps3 Charts.

Dunlop

AstroLad said:
but I actually transferred it over from Access into Excel just to make it easier to use.

you post says that you track multiple memorable quotes, I would have to say in this case that Access would be the easier one to use :p

Ok..maybe not easier just more efficient :D

Parl

Tobor said:

From a cursory glance at your posting history, a PC and PS3 seem obvious. Also...

/adds Parl to list and checks box
:lol at that guess. No PS3, and my PC can kinda run UT2k4 well, but I mainly play simulation or strategy games, and average of about 1 hour per week. I'll spend a few hours one day each weekend playing multiplayer games at my brother's with a few friends.

I don't have a 360, Wii, DS, or PSP either. I'll probably get a DSi late this year though.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Wow, Call of Duty Wii still in Top 20 - i thought it bombed...maybe reteailers really just didn`t ordered enough last month ? SHaun White also still selling well on Wii.

jeremy1456 said:
1 PS3 game in the top 20? And no PSP games?

Might be time to pack it in Sony.

No PSP Games in Softwarecharts is nothing new. Really....

botticus

2. WII REMOTE CONTROLLER W/ JACKET NINTENDO OF AMERICA
3. WII REMOTE CONTROLLER NINTENDO OF AMERICA

Huh...

1) didn't know those were separate SKUs
2) after a year or however long they've been supplying the jackets, there are still that many remotes out there without them?

Too bad EA didn't give out some vague numbers when lauding their Nerf N-Strike sales, we could have a lower bound for the Top 20.

Tobor

Parl said:
:lol at that guess. No PS3, and my PC can kinda run UT2k4 well, but I mainly play simulation or strategy games, and everage of about 1 hour per week. I'll spend a few hours one day each weekend playing multiplayer games at my brother's with a few friends.

I don't have a 360, Wii, DS, or PSP either. I'll probably get a DSi late this year though.

You had posts in the KZ2 thread, so I took a swing. We can't all be AstroLad.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jeremy1456 said:
1 PS3 game in the top 20? And no PSP games?

Might be time to pack it in Sony.

I would guess that in a month like December (or any Q4 month), the volumes involved in 20-30 or 30-40 aren't all that much different than 10-20..or at least, are very respectable. I would guess in a month like December, the top 20 doesn't fully cover all those games that sold well in the month. The volumes involved in these months are on a totally different level to other times of the year.

That Nintendo 3rd party sales chart should soothe your concerns over how (third party) software is selling on the system. It seems to have a carved a respectable, and growing portion of the HD end of the market, even if titles haven't charted as visibly as on 360 for example.

Still, MK ahead of LBP justifies a big 'tut tut'.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
as i thought. CoD Wii sales went up for December. they didn't start advertising it until the 12th month, so the public didn't know much about it in November. if Activision continues to advertise lightly throughout the next two quarters and then drop off for Modern Warfare 2 (assuming it's coming to the Wii), they could potentially break more than a million lifetime sales. it doesn't help that the game compared to it's HD counterparts is nerfed, but it remains and enjoyable game and i do think that people would be willing to buy it.

Top Bottom