• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Whelp that's that. Trends for this gen have pretty much been solidified I'd say.

Main "shock" for me is Halo 5. I know it sold well enough as an individual title but compared to other numbered Halo titles it's a disappointment and MS (or 343i) must be wondering what they have to do to if the franchise is to return to its former prominence.

Well it's not so hard to figure out, isn't it? Get rid of the annoying Forerunner enemies, return to classic Halo enemies, make Masterchief the main protagonist for more than 15 % of the game, stop that 60 fps nonsense and instead make the graphics meaningful, cut the crap with multiplayer being at the center of all development when everybody plays CoD anyway or make the multiplayer exactly like CoD, make campaigns that can't be beaten in 2 hours.

Matt

Pretty close... Probably... That's my point, to my knowledge we really don't have a clue about world-wide sales on all platforms, you could've said 60% or 90% and nobody could prove you wrong without making a guess of their own, which you had to prove wrong by guessing again, etc. Too much guessing for me. :/ And I think the more we keep guessing without questioning the accuracy the less likely is it that we start getting real numbers. It's bad enough that some people even think NPD track digital sales but I get scared when I see people commenting in a way that they believe they track the world-wide sales. :S

Anyhow, is there a reason why we rarely get real numbers? Wouldn't Ubisoft know how many games they've sold, why aren't they releasing the sales figures themselves, wouldn't that be great PR?

But anyway, your guess is that the US and UK retail figures + digital Steamspy figures equals to 70% of the actual world-wide sales in retail and all digital stores for all platforms? Is that for Siege only or all games? Like I said, I can't prove you wrong but it sounds too high imo, or I hope it is anyway :/
For R6, it's probebly around 70%. Could be closer to 60%, but that really about it.

Jumeira

Banned
That is far from the truth .
Marketing deals are done for many reasons .
For eg Sony got the marketing rights for GTA5 and they were getting there ass kick over here last gen .
MS has the marketing rights for FIFA and they getting there ass kick in EU .
Fifa deal was in place when x1 launched and the GTA5 deal was last year when PS4 was dominating. CoD, SW and most likely more will join, only solidifies my initial statement.

Well it's not so hard to figure out, isn't it? Get rid of the annoying Forerunner enemies, return to classic Halo enemies, make Masterchief the main protagonist for more than 15 % of the game, stop that 60 fps nonsense and instead make the graphics meaningful, cut the crap with multiplayer being at the center of all development when everybody plays CoD anyway or make the multiplayer exactly like CoD, make campaigns that can't be beaten in 2 hours.

These are some game damaging ideas. Agree with forerunner removal and MC being the centre of the campaign, but they done wonders to the MP which gives the game legs and for most a favourable impression on the game. It's one of the finest multiplayer FPS games in the market.

leeh

Wut.

Anyway, looks like good numbers all round. To be honest, thought the Xbox wouldn't be that close to the P$4. P$4 YoY, killing it.

darkinstinct

Wut.

Anyway, looks like good numbers all round. To be honest, thought the Xbox wouldn't be that close to the P$4. P$4 YoY, killing it.

Halo sold great without 60 fps. Halo 4, despite all ist shortcomings, was still one of the most visually pleasing games of last gen. Singleplayer Halo does not need 60 fps and all the compromises that have to be made for it, it needs huge battles with open environments and an insane amount of enemies.

Fifa deal was in place when x1 launched and the GTA5 deal was last year when PS4 was dominating. CoD, SW and most likely more will join, only solidifies my initial statement.

The GTA deal was for PS3 before the next gen systems were even out .
COD change but Sony was not ahead by some huge number in USA.
Which shows it came down to money or WW market share or maybe both with other factors .

Fess

For R6, it's probebly around 70%. Could be closer to 60%, but that really about it.
60% is better, no need to comment further on this, I'll still find it hard to believe that US digital, UK digital, retail and digital for the rest of EU, Canada, South America, Japan and all other regions I've missed plus uPlay and other digital PC games outlets only account to 30-40% of the total sales these days.

Occam

Xbox keeps putting good fight on the US, pretty good sales.

The gap is widening. PS4 holiday sales are up significantly (85% in November, 46% in December compared to last year), and unlike during last year's holidays, it outsold Xbone, which only rose by ~5% year over year. The rate at which PS4 is outselling Xbone in America is increasing.

Jumeira

Banned
Halo sold great without 60 fps. Halo 4, despite all ist shortcomings, was still one of the most visually pleasing games of last gen. Singleplayer Halo does not need 60 fps and all the compromises that have to be made for it, it needs huge battles with open environments and an insane amount of enemies.
H5 had those. But Locke was unnecessary, and the group of Spartans wasn't a great idea. They played no different to other squad based games, and for me the most un-halo thing about the game. 343i delivered on combat but they still need competent level designers and gameplay scenario engineers. Who thought Locke was a good idea.

60% is better, no need to comment further on this, I'll still find it hard to believe that US digital, UK digital, retail and digital for the rest of EU, Canada, South America, Japan and all other regions I've missed plus uPlay and other digital PC games outlets only account to 30-40% of the total sales these days.

That would really depend on the game would it not ?
Not all games and game types going to sell even or close numbers in every market .

leeh

I'd say I'd agree with 30SP 60MP but I can't stand the jar switching between the modes.

I'm fine with people preferring 30FPS on a title, but it was just that you called it '60fps nonsense'.

Matt

Well we have Steam numbers worldwide, and US and UK console digital sales will be about 20% of retail sales. Uplay is a small platform, and the leftover markets for consoles that would buy R6 in significant numbers are few. So...yeah, you should believe it.

I agree with a lot you have said, but, 60 FPS nonsense? no no no, man

After playing a lot of Destiny and going back for a few matches on Halo 5 its blatantly obvious 60FPS is the best thing they have going for them. Halo 5 multiplayer is god tier when it comes to movement and smoothness.

I do agree on most tho, but saying the campaign is short for people who run through it is pointless. I liked the campaign. it was great on legendary.

The gap is widening. PS4 holiday sales are up significantly (85% in November, 46% in December compared to last year), and unlike during last year's holidays, it outsold Xbone, which only rose by ~5% year over year. The rate at which PS4 is outselling Xbone in America is increasing.

Yup, price parity has shown us what console consumers are more inclined to buy in USA.
XB1 only slaughtered in Nov-Dec 2014 due to price.

I'd hope this NPD provides more evidence as well for going forward that exclusives are rarely the hardware drivers posters say they are, especially during Christmas.

Key is to drop maybe one or two of those 1st party titles in Nov-Dec and spread the rest throughout the year for meaningful hardware boosts.

Thanks mate.

Xbox WW should be around 20m then.

Not bad.

Huh no way.

UK and ROTW are not giving an extra 9 million sales.

darkinstinct

I agree with a lot you have said, but, 60 FPS nonsense? no no no, man

After playing a lot of Destiny and going back for a few matches on Halo 5 its blatantly obvious 60FPS is the best thing they have going for them. Halo 5 multiplayer is god tier when it comes to movement and smoothness.

I do agree on most tho, but saying the campaign is short for people who run through it is pointless. I liked the campaign. it was great on legendary.

I Iiked it as well but if you make it so you can run through the game you can't complain you lose a lot of sales due to people thinking it's only a rudimentary singleplayer. Especially after the marketing message was all like biggest campaign ever in a Halo yadda yadda yadda.

So how well did consoles sell this month compared to last? Is there an 'unofficial' post somebody could kindly point me in the direction to please?

darkinstinct

Yup, price parity has shown us what console consumers are more inclined to buy in USA.
XB1 only slaughtered in Nov-Dec 2014 due to price.

I'd hope this NPD provides more evidence as well for going forward that exclusives are rarely the hardware drivers posters say they are, especially during Christmas.

Key is to drop maybe one or two of those 1st party titles in Nov-Dec and spread the rest throughout the year for meaningful hardware boosts.

Huh no way.

Why not? Rest is 24 million for PS4, 9 million would put it at a 2.7:1 ratio. Seems plausible and is in line with sales from the first year.

Why not? Rest is 24 million for PS4, 9 million would put it at a 2.7:1 ratio. Seems plausible and is in line with sales from the first year.

You're going by the old ratio of 60% us sales when it might be a bit more than that. Especially in EU, those ratios only get worse over time once the market settles.

That would put USA at 55.5% contribution for total XB1 sales (using the 11.1m sold in USA figure).

That's too low mayne, it's definitely more than that.

ethomaz

Banned
Tomb Raider numbers are really low and I think that MS guy lied about the sold-through like he always lied about 360 sales and others stuffs.

Over 1m is shipped WW.

ethomaz

Banned
Has there been MSPR?
thank you
Yes like always.

MS PR

"Thanks to our fans, continued support for the most critically-acclaimed holiday lineup of exclusives in Xbox history made December 2015 the best month yet for Xbox Live global engagement and Xbox One sales in the U.S. The total number of hours spent gaming on Xbox One worldwide nearly doubled compared to December 2014 and Xbox One exclusive game sales in the U.S. between July and December 2015 were up 61 percent compared to the same period in 2014. Revenue from Xbox Store's Countdown, the biggest Xbox Store sale ever, broke records with 69 percent growth year-over-year when compared to results from last year's sale. Xbox One is the best place for gamers and the only console that has all top 10 best-selling titles of this generation that launched in 2015."

Ms don't give pr unless they win a month. Neither do actually.
They do PR every month... they released it yesterday when the NPD TOP10 arrived.

Ms don't give pr unless they win a month. Neither do actually.
They did before. PR should do their job properly.

Yes like always.

MS PR

"Thanks to our fans, continued support for the most critically-acclaimed holiday lineup of exclusives in Xbox history made December 2015 the best month yet for Xbox Live global engagement and Xbox One sales in the U.S. The total number of hours spent gaming on Xbox One worldwide nearly doubled compared to December 2014 and Xbox One exclusive game sales in the U.S. between July and December 2015 were up 61 percent compared to the same period in 2014. Revenue from Xbox Store's Countdown, the biggest Xbox Store sale ever, broke records with 69 percent growth year-over-year when compared to results from last year's sale. Xbox One is the best place for gamers and the only console that has all top 10 best-selling titles of this generation that launched in 2015."
That's better. Thanks

AtkO

Huh no way.

You are right, they probably do not.

2.3/2.6m for the UK.
Let's say ~700k in France (it was at 416k last year so let's be optimistic), and probably 500k from Germany (it was at 378k back in March). Those are the top 3 markets in Europe and it barely adds up to 3.5/3.8m. So we have the X1 at 14.7/15m.

I really don't see how the rest of Europe (we had more than enough statements of how low the sales are in Italy/Spain for example) and of the world could add the 5m missing here.

If 19m-ish is "around 20m" then yea. Otherwise, nope.

ethomaz

Banned
Xbone WW LTD estimated using US numbers.

Min: 15.8m (70% US)
Max: 18.5m (60% US)

The range is big but I'm it is close to 60% than 70%.

~18m WW sold-through at d d of 2015 looks about right.

2.3/2.6m for the UK.
Let's say ~700k in France (it was at 416k last year so let's be optimistic), and probably 500k from Germany (it was at 378k back in March). Those are the top 3 markets in Europe and it barely adds up to 3.5/3.8m. So we have the X1 at 14.7/15m.

I really don't see how the rest of Europe (we had more than enough statements of how low the sales are in Italy/Spain for example) and of the world could add the 5m missing here.

18.5m is my most optimistic estimate to Xbone WW so it is below that number.

That means close to 20m shipped.

Occam

Yes like always.

MS PR

They do PR every month... they released it yesterday when the NPD TOP10 arrived.

Yeah, they just don't report actual sales data unless they win. I almost feel sorry for the people that have to come up with this shite again and again.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Good sales for Xenoblade X. (I think that makes that certain tyrant numbers quite a good hint, doesn't it?)

Looking at the sales for Xenoblade X vs. Amiibo festival&Ultra Smash, I think whoever decided to give those two the prime spot for holiday should reconsider his life choices.

On the other hand it seems that here the downward path for Wii U starts.

Kosma

Banned
Xbone WW LTD estimated using US numbers.

Min: 15.8m (70% US)
Max: 18.5m (60% US)

The range is big but I'm it is close to 60% than 70%.

~18m WW sold-through at d d of 2015 looks about right.

18.5m is my most optimistic estimate to Xbone WW so it is below that number.

That means close to 20m shipped.

I think the further this gen goes the higher percentage the US will be. Ones a console tanks as bad as the Xbox has done outside of the US/UK it will be hard for it to claw back at all.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Let's say ~700k in France (it was at 416k last year so let's be optimistic)

That's not optimist.

It sold 290,000 in 2014.

Let's say it sold the same in 2015 ( even if most likely was up YOY ), this should mean 706,000 LT by end of December 2015.

700,000 looks realistic / pecsimist.

You sound like a MS PR.

So, 25k to 41k in the Second month is not a big increase?
I don't think i'm the MS PR here.

2.3/2.6m for the UK.

Just to add, XB1 is at 85k in Spain as of June 2015 and is naturally lower in Italy, to round up the Tier 1 countries that provide most sales

The only 20m XB1 figure that makes sense to me is shipped.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Thanks to everyone for all the numbers they offered.

Both PS4 and One did pretty well this December, PS4 with a huge increase YOY. Weekly averge is lower than November, and numbers overall didn't change that much from November to December, but it's better than last year IIRC, so some progress after all. Interested to see what's going to happen next year, when the MSRP for both should be 299.99, thus Holiday deals will bring a lower price: that price + huge games in November brought sales on fire, especially compared to so many anemic months earlier in the year. Didn't expect the gap between the two to be this small for December, surprised.

Wii U is about its zone, more or less, despite the bad Holiday lineup, in terms of relevant releases. Bad, but steady after all. 3DS is down a bit less than what I thought. These Holiday numbers are Nintendo's fault, alongside the platform aging: no big deals at all (unlike the Splatoon/Smash bundle for Wii U), no huge releases for Holidays. Nintendo consoles continue to see a more traditional November-to-December uptick anyway, whatever the sales are / the deals in place are, though.

This doesn't mean Nintendo really didn't sell that much software this year, even if in a bad year by their standards. More on this later, except for...

...well, Xenoblade X. 200k+ (without digital) might not be an incredible first month, but it's, indeed, a quite good debut for a JRPG on a Nintendo home console without a mainstream advertising (it was promoted, and it had TV ads, but it surely wasn't promoted as much as major AAA/AAAA releases at all). Heck, it's actually a good debut for a JRPG in general that's not part of the big series.

This actually makes me wonder (and I hope whoever can helps here): we have a JRPG not from big series (FF, Pokemon, Mario, etc.etc. ) selling more than 200k at retail on a Nintendo home console in the first month. When was the last time this happened? I can't remember, honestly.

Top Bottom