• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

Holy shit. Never saw it THAT clear. Nintendo are looking at a very dark future hu? No wonder why the "Nintendo goes third party soon" discussions won't stop. NX better blows everyone away and catches the casuals asap. They can't rest on their handhelds forever or can they?

I think they would rather fall on their sword before they ever go 3rd party.

But yeah the NX has to do something different.
Good luck to them trying to pry casuals eyes away from their phones and tablets, seems a near impossible task.

AtkO

I think they would rather fall on their sword before they ever go 3rd party.

But yeah the NX has to do something different.
Good luck to them trying to pry casuals eyes away from their phones and tablets, seems a near impossible task.
Inb4 Apple buys Nintendo and we all witness the rise of the new king of gaming.

"Mario 48 available now on the App Store for $9.99*.

*In-app purchases available."

viky101

Neo Member
The most successful console in India is the PS2.

How much did PS2 sell in India over the 13-15 years it was in the Indian market?

Less than 1 million
Nah, it sold way more than that. Even PS3 is probably more than that.

Hahaha, really? Do they just not game over there?

In like many third world countries in Asia in India PC gaming dominates. The difference between game prices itself is a big reason, for example Rise of the Tomb Raider pre-order is 999 INR (14.7 USD) on steam right now and the Xbone version is like 4000INR . I'm sure the PS3 sold more than 2 million though and PS2 sold way more than that. Playstation is simply a bigger brand and Sony has bigger retail penetration. I know that Xbox one was only available thorough Amazon India for quite a long time.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/featu...k-friday-deals-gets-dominated-in-india-628766

This article mentions that PS4 sold like 50k last year alone and Xbox one is doing way worse.

http://asidcast.com/bleak-future-xbox-one-in-india/

article said:
While there are no official reports detailing the number of Xbox Ones sold across India since Microsoft will never go on record to say it out loud, industry veterans have told me that (Yes, I’ve gaming industry veteran contacts flexes arm) the Xbox One has sold about 1500 units last December and has probably sold around 2000-2500 units till now while the Playstation 4 has about 50,000-60,000 units circulating in India, according to PlayStation India head Atindriya Bose, and will have about 100,000 units by April 2016.

Microsoft has a rather steep uphill battle to fight if they want they want a good future for the Xbox One in India but as I’ve said in the beginning of my article, if they keep heading the way they are right now… well, let’s just say that it’s a good thing that Microsoft owns Windows as well since the PC gaming market is pretty big over here.

Can I see? I've not seen any numbers from these places.

China suppose to be 500k for XB1 and PS4 combined as of a few months ago. With PS4 dominating.

https://zhugeex.com/2015/11/ps4-xb1-install-base-in-china-reaches-500000/

More interesting would be how Canada is doing, is it 500k, 1mil or 3 mill for both combined? How reflective is the market to US/UK in terms of a place XBO does well, in. Can we add Canada to that list?

Any chance for hardware LTD in Canada? There's absolutely no reporting on this, apart from a pretty useless "up x% vs PS3+360" ages ago.

I asked for the numbers a few pages back. he replied he had them so we'll see if they get posted.

I'm assuming that the lack of bundled games tracking contributed to Battlefront selling more single copies on Xbox One vs Ps4.

Is the flat sales YOY something to be worried about? I'm guessing it is just fall off of last gen systems since current gen is outpacing all expectations.

Well if they had 18 milion active Xbox One in the last 28 days they can't have sold less than 18 million.

That number is clearly rounded multiple times.

Let's say the real numbers are 198 million, 181 million PC, 15.5 million Xbox Ones.

The ratios are relatively maintained, however the Xbox One number is significantly lower than 18 million.

Or it could easily have gone the other way, like 202 180 19.

But anyone taking the 18 million at face value based on the statement we had is just asking to be mislead.

bitbydeath

Well if they had 18 milion active Xbox One in the last 28 days they can't have sold less than 18 million.

Notice they didn't use the actual words 'sold through', given MS is notorious for spin 'active' probably just means they have been manufactured and have since been turned on during testing.

This is a very tired rhetoric.

Nintendo are a business, they have shareholders. If the choices are collapse or widing their sales, the choice is obvious.

Yes you're right, I was a bit too hasty with my response.

Business is business.

I just meant third party on other consoles is a long way potential off, full mobile focus would probably come first.

wapplew

Yes you're right, I was a bit too hasty with my response.

Business is business.

I just meant third party on other consoles is a long way potential off, full mobile focus would probably come first.

I think they will hit a couple mobile gold mines that so big, enough for them to keep making console after console.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
But 20k is a small number. Converting that to percentage and say it publicly is a spin.

Well, hemm... No.

What i Said is that it's increased a lot compared to last month. And that's true, is not a spin.

A spin would mean tryng to say those are good numbers. They aren't, those TR sales on 360 are atrocius, and not good even on XB1.

But, the 360 Version is increased a lot compared to last month. That's what i Said. :p

thebloo

Well we have Steam numbers worldwide, and US and UK console digital sales will be about 20% of retail sales. Uplay is a small platform, and the leftover markets for consoles that would buy R6 in significant numbers are few. So...yeah, you should believe it.

Source on Uplay percentage? Or is it just a theory? Keep in mind that pretty much and 3rd party seller had Uplay keys, not Steam.

Rymuth

So with the NPD essentially giving GAF it's blessings to discuss numbers, how does everyone feel about that?

I admit, feels like we're on the cusp of a golden age for SalesGAF but there's a certain charm to the times when we had to be careful of NPD ninjas. :p

foxbeldin

Well, hemm... No.

What i Said is that it's increased a lot compared to last month. And that's true, is not a spin.

A spin would mean tryng to say those are good numbers. They aren't, those TR sales on 360 are atrocius, and not good even on XB1.

But, the 360 Version is increased a lot compared to last month. That's what i Said. :p

You did say "not bad" though ;)

Conduit

Banned
So yeah the deal for me and how it locked them into a bad launch window and locked out a lot of sales outside US (and inside too) in terms of lack of availability on best selling platforms and lack of reach outside US.

Don't worry. PC version soon will be out and ROTR will be saved. :)

This actually makes me wonder (and I hope whoever can helps here): we have a JRPG not from big series (FF, Pokemon, Mario, etc.etc. ) selling more than 200k at retail on a Nintendo home console in the first month. When was the last time this happened? I can't remember, honestly.

My first suspect was Tales of Symphonia, which was exclusive to GameCube for its first few months on the market (and I know Tales is one of the bigger names in JRPGs, but it wasn't that well known in the west back then; comparisons to the Xenoblade brand in 2015 are probably fair). NPD reported 118k for it in July 2004, when it had been out for two weeks. I remember it was undershipped and supply-constrained on release, and one has to factor in the fact that there was a PS2 release hot on its heels, but even so, that Xenoblade X outpaced it on a platform with a smaller install base (also in its third year on the market) is an achievement worth noting. The Wii U may be selling poorly, but it's reaching a stable and engaged base that has been lapping up the first-party software in acceptable quantities.

Conduit

Banned
Well, hemm... No.

But you said that numbers are good, i mean not bad.

EDIT : beaten by Foxbeldin

The following data release is sourced from The NPD Group's U.S. Games Industry Sales (New Physical Sales Channel) report for December 2015.

All data disclosed to Neo GAF is fundamentally immaterial to the business of The NPD Group, Inc.

NPD's monthly point-of-sale data reports on U.S. Games Industry sales occurring from new physical purchases at retail which is the largest channel for games sales, but does not represent 100% of industry sales; it does not account for consumer purchases made via digital distribution, used game sales, subscriptions, mobiles, rentals, or social network games. NPD's Games Market Dynamics: U.S. is issued quarterly and is NPD's official estimate of the consumer spend on the industry and it does include estimate of the size of these other monetization methods.

The #1 best-selling title of the December 2015 NPD report was Activision Blizzard's "Call of Duty: Black Ops III."

I would like to share its relative sell-through for the past two months when compared to its predecessor.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare U.S. physical retail sell-through:

November 2014 NPD Report: 4.66 million (including bundles)
December 2014 NPD Report: 2.84 million (including bundles)

Call of Duty: Black Ops III U.S. physical retail sell-through:

November 2015 NPD Report: 4.89 million (including bundles)
December 2015 NPD Report: 3.44 million (including bundles)

Furthermore, Call of Duty: Black Ops III is also higher than its predecessor in both December and lifetime-to-date through 2015 when we look at individual SKU rankings excluding bundles.

More later. Time for work.

So with the NPD essentially giving GAF it's blessings to discuss numbers, how does everyone feel about that?

Mr. Mulcair is a scholar and a gentleman, but note his use of the term "immaterial" when offering the HW numbers provided.

Other data certainly is material, and NPD will defend its proprietary nature if necessary, as any company would.

So not really a blessing to discuss any and all numbers. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Mr. Mulcair).

EDIT: Saying "Mr." primarily due to avatar and as a sign of cordiality, not as a presumption of gender identity based on occupation, etc. (for Rymuth)

Can I see? I've not seen any numbers from these places.

Hahaha, really? Do they just not game over there?

The retail infrastructure required to provide the level of reporting NPD publishes doesn't exist in many parts of the world. Companies like Screen Digest, IDG and GfK can construct estimates for these territories, but detailed sales information like NPD constructs for the US, Canada, etc just does not exist. Trust me, there are many, many people in the industry that would love similar information they see for the US coming from the rest of the world, in particular places like Russia which has seen strong legitimate PC SW sales growth in recent years.

You sound like a MS PR.

This is really uncalled for. A percentage increase is an increase. No one has claimed the TR sales numbers are "good" (certainly no one of any proven particular thought value at least). But the 1m number published certainly seems reasonable, and to say that to that poster isn't warranted imo.

Unfortunately, the Portable business is rather esoteric and remains weak sales-wise the United States, so there is far less focus on it within the industry.

"Esoteric"... I like that. Anyways, first party owns over 60 share on 3DS from the last time I looked at it (and the UK data published by MCV is in the same range), and only a couple of the major 3rd party publishers even make games on the platform now. Sure, there's the niche Japanese stuff and the 1st party stuff once in a while, and yes the platform still sells in significant numbers. It's just that it's kind of its own thing now, and it's not somewhere the majority of the industry is applying much mindshare to.

Mr. Mulcair is a scholar and a gentleman, but note his use of the term "immaterial" when offering the HW numbers provided.

Other data certainly is material, and NPD will defend its proprietary nature if necessary, as any company would.

So not really a blessing to discuss any and all numbers. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Mr. Mulcair).

The retail infrastructure required to provide the level of reporting NPD publishes doesn't exist in many parts of the world. Companies like Screen Digest, IDG and GfK can construct estimates for these territories, but detailed sales information like NPD constructs for the US, Canada, etc just does not exist in many parts of the world.

This is really uncalled for. A percentage increase is an increase. No one has claimed the TR sales numbers are "good" (certainly no one of any proven particular thought value at least). But the 1m number published certainly seems reasonable, and to say that to that poster isn't warranted imo.

"Esoteric"... I like that. Anyways, first party owns over 60 share on 3DS from the last time I looked at it (and the UK data published by MCV is in the same ballpark), and only a couple of the major 3rd party publishers even make games on the platform now. Sure, there's the niche Japanese stuff and the 1st party stuff once in a while, and yes the platform still sells in significant numbers. It's just that it's kind of its own thing now, and it's not somewhere the majority of the industry is applying much mindshare to.

Clearly you work in the industry, Mr. CosmicQueso. :)

Raist

Banned
The following data release is sourced from The NPD Group's U.S. Games Industry Sales (New Physical Sales Channel) report for December 2015.

All data disclosed to Neo GAF is fundamentally immaterial to the business of The NPD Group, Inc.

NPD's monthly point-of-sale data reports on U.S. Games Industry sales occurring from new physical purchases at retail which is the largest channel for games sales, but does not represent 100% of industry sales; it does not account for consumer purchases made via digital distribution, used game sales, subscriptions, mobiles, rentals, or social network games. NPD's Games Market Dynamics: U.S. is issued quarterly and is NPD's official estimate of the consumer spend on the industry and it does include estimate of the size of these other monetization methods.

The #1 best-selling title of the December 2015 NPD report was Activision Blizzard's "Call of Duty: Black Ops III."

I would like to share its relative sell-through for the past two months when compared to its predecessor.

November 2015 NPD: 4.89 million (including bundles)
December 2015 NPD: 3.44 million (including bundles)

Furthermore, Call of Duty: Black Ops III is also higher than its predecessor in both December and lifetime-to-date through 2015 when we look at individual SKU rankings excluding bundles.

That's an impressive YoY growth in december. I guess the PS4 bundle did some work.

HardRojo

Thank you for gracing us with your presence Mr. Mulcair!
So CoD doesn't show any signs of slowing down. Would it be possible to get numbers for The Nathan Drake Collection, bundled and stand-alone? Thanks, and if it's not possible, I understand.

Rymuth

How do you know it's a 'he'? ;)

I'm kidding, of course, I still think it's a blessing to have the esteemed Muclair drop numbers for us (such as the COD comparisons), makes life a lot easier and I count that as a good thing.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Notice they didn't use the actual words 'sold through', given MS is notorious for spin 'active' probably just means they have been manufactured and have since been turned on during testing.

That's some Olympic-class reaching, right there.

Kysen

I guess its safe to say that marketing deals carried the PS4 last holiday. That 1 million gap isn't likely to go away any time soon. Nothing on the horizon looks to change this.

Impressive growth trend for COD.

I thought it would be more flat YoY.
Really wonder how this bodes for Infinity Ward after their relative dud with Ghosts (which still sold well)

I guess its safe to say that marketing deals carried the PS4 last holiday. That 1 million gap isn't likely to go away any time soon. Nothing on the horizon looks to change this.

Imo Halo 5 was the trump card.

It helped XB1 claim October but momentum wasn't enough for the entire Holiday.
You're right though, barring Microsoft developing some disruptive add-on technology for XB1 a la Kinect, there's nothing they can do.

Tankard

NDP_Mulcair is a beast.

Thank you for the numbers provided.

Can't believe we are getting official numbers from NPD here, it feels special.

Tsosie

Looks like Sony and MS both had good months (and years for that matter). Both consoles looked to have growth YOY. Software seems to be down in physical, but by such a small percentage that I imagine digital sales would have made up for the decrease. Here is to hoping that 2016 continues to show growth YOY.

Looks like Sony and MS both had good months (and years for that matter). Both consoles looked to have growth YOY. Software seems to be down in physical, but by such a small percentage that I imagine digital sales would have made up for the decrease. Here is to hoping that 2016 continues to show growth YOY.

There was a neat little graph a couple pages back showcasing the dramatic decrease in the number of published physical software over the last few years.

Clearly there's just less AAA games for consumers to spend Dollars on too.

viHuGi

Banned
Jesus christ at Black Ops 3 numbers!

Nearing 10m already on the States!

Furthermore, Call of Duty: Black Ops III is also higher than its predecessor in both December and lifetime-to-date through 2015 when we look at individual SKU rankings excluding bundles

Conduit

Banned
NDP_Mulcair, how PS4 Battlefront bundle ( both of them ), PS4 COD BO III ( both of them ) did in December?

I mean, Battlefront and COD BO III sales split between PS4 and Xbone in December.

Massa

Very happy with R6 Siege sales, that game is amazing. Hopefully this will bring more AAA productions from Ubisoft that don't follow the open world template.

Have you guys already discussed Tomb Raider?
With it not being in the Top 10 nor doing absolutely anything WW how is that 1M number feasible?

What am I missing?

Top Bottom