• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Does anyone have the top selling HW list for december?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192255383&postcount=1564

U.S. December 2015 Video Games Console Hardware Unit Sales:

Sony Corp's 'PlayStation 4': 1582K units (+48.5% year-over-year)
Microsoft Corp's 'Xbox One': 1376K units (+6.1% year-over-year)
Nintendo's 'Wii U': 463K units (-19.5% year-over-year)
Microsoft Corp's 'Xbox 360': 139K units (-55.0% year-over-year)
Sony Corp's 'PlayStation 3': 29K units (-83.3% year-over-year)

3DS - just over 580k
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192258605&postcount=1660

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192255383&postcount=1564

U.S. December 2015 Video Games Console Hardware Unit Sales:

Sony Corp's 'PlayStation 4': 1582K units (+48.5% year-over-year)
Microsoft Corp's 'Xbox One': 1376K units (+6.1% year-over-year)
Nintendo's 'Wii U': 463K units (-19.5% year-over-year)
Microsoft Corp's 'Xbox 360': 139K units (-55.0% year-over-year)
Sony Corp's 'PlayStation 3': 29K units (-83.3% year-over-year)

Thanks, I should have added of all time. :p
I've seen it last month but can't seem to dig it up.

Bundle assumption was 190k at 400k us physical.

Only issue I have with the statements were the "well over" bit he tacked on. 1m I can see a reasonable path to, but "well over"? Don't know about that, or how it is even defined.

Yeah the well over is the questionable part but its greenberg so ¯_(ツ)_/¯

KingWool

Banned
creamsugar:
LTD
Z:MM3D ~ 942
MH4U ~ 458
AC:AHL+ ~ 9
FF:F ~ 93
S.T.E.A.M. ~ 50
XC3D ~ 147
EMD ~ 20
P&D ~ 103
SMT:DS2RB ~ 42
LBX ~ 33
EO2U:TFK ~ 19
AC:HHD ~ 270
Miku ~ 45
SK2:DC ~ 16
Z: TH ~ 312
DBZ: EB ~ 48
Chibi ~ 57
TLOL ~ 31
PSMD ~ 352
YKW ~ 195
SK ~ 27

Kirby ~ 193
MP10 ~ 633
S ~ 849
SMM ~ 944
Yoshi ~ 457
MT: US ~ 67
AC: AF ~ 63
SK ~ 23

Nintendo ain't doing well at all. These numbers are horrible.

Makes me wonder why AC:AF is having a firebomb sale while Mario Tennis is still $60? Trying to save face of the Mario brand, maybe?

FelipeMGM

Wouldn't the 1m ww include digital and be for both 360 and XB1 versions?

This being said, am I taking crazy pills or why am I wondering why it seems that many people apparently find 1m units (likely including digital) sold over 2 months, the busiest of the year, for a well known AAA Franchise would be good?

Imo even if the 1m is true, that's f*ing abysmal, no?

Yeah, especially when the reboot sold about 3.4M in less than a month. And still it wast good enough for Square, who were expecting 5M in the month of the launch

I think this info is very interesting (don't know the number split):

ZhugeEX ‏@ZhugeEX 3m3 minutes ago
Yup, said it would happen. Star Wars Battlefront has sold more than 12 million units since launch making it a huge success.

We kinda knew that already http://fortune.com/2015/12/30/star-wars-video-game-sales/

Chobel

The obsession with Tomb Raider and what it sold or didn't sell is borderline fanatical.

Truly mental (gymnastics) what I am reading.

I see you're obsessed with people talking about RoTTR sales.

Come on, if 25% is digital then it's at 1mil. It's at 750k as well which is prime 25% calculations.

It's not 25% of the physical numbers, it's 25% of the total.

Why the hell would RoTTR have that high digital ratio? Anyway I assume people used the known 80:20 ratio meaning digital is 25% of physical.

I thought digital sales were usually 15-20%? Even if you're really generous and assume it did manage 25% digital, how does that equal 1m?

400k from US
150k from UK
200k from the rest of the world (insanely generous)
=750k

+25% digital (188k rounded up) = 938k.

That's still shy of 1m when we're being overly generous with both rotw sales and digital %. What am I missing? Bundles? Again you're asking for almost 100k in bundle sales, which seems incredibly ambitious given all the other bundles on offer.

You're missing the bundle sales, I'm sure it sold more than 100K from bundles.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Thanks, I should have added of all time. :p
I've seen it last month but can't seem to dig it up.

I have PS4 and XB1

PS4 - 12.4m
XB1 - 11.1m

I'll try to dig Wii U

Or just basic extrapolation math any high school student should be able to do?

Cosmic, don't know if you missed my question on the other page, but do you think the 190K bundles are US only?

allan-bh

Raibow Six Siege is a great surprise for the month, 808k is way ahead of what I tought that would sell. Delay the launch for december was a good strategy, in november would be killed.

this has me worried for horizon, maybe gamers just don't wanna play as a female? i can't think of any reason it would bomb this hard.

TR is a incredible succesfull franchise to begin with. I dont know why this could be an issue.

Eerr, i don't think playing as a girl is ROTR problem. We have much better reasons for the game bombing:

-Poor launch date
-Reduced number of platforms
-Not available where the majority of the fanbase is (PC and PS)
-Bad bundle choice
-Strong backslash before launch

Just choose one of the above

This

Digital sales + bundled copies + rest of the world sales.

I am just shotgunning this based on random memory so it could be totally wrong.
Okay it's at 210k total for this month right and its debut it did around 200k right?
WW wasn't it around 150k last month? So lets give it the benefit of the doubt and say it did that again this month.

Now were sitting at roughly 710k + 150k 20% for digital sales.
That still doesn't put us within real striking distance. Course my numbers could be really off but thats just what I remember.

You trust cosmic right? He did the math and it checks out, greenberg wasn't lying. Its really not that hard to see how its feasible when you add digital, bundles etc

Oh he did? Well than thats good enough for me. I barely could pass Math-A

They definitely have a lot of work to be done still, but I think too many people are hung up on being number 1. The Xbox One is putting up great numbers regardless of where the PS4 is at. Yes, they still need to grow the install base because that brings all the other avenues of revenue to them.

I agree with you that not being #1 does not mean that a product is not selling well. Just ask Burger King. However, XB1 is only putting up great numbers in the U.S. Yes, I know that this is an NPD thread and we are talking U.S. numbers, but outside the U.S., XB1 is struggling in most countries, if not outright dead in many. Without the U.S. to keep the XB1 afloat, I could have seen MS pulling the plug. But, yes, in the U.S. XB1 is putting up great numbers. It doesn't, however, make up for the 2:1 sales advantage of PS4 worldwide.

The obsession with Tomb Raider and what it sold or didn't sell is borderline fanatical.

Truly mental (gymnastics) what I am reading.

nah it flopped sales wise. We are all saying this because MS and SE shouldn't have done the deal period.

I wouldn't be surprised of the game charted being a ps4 exclusive tho. thats where the TR fans are anyway

So, I know I'm probably only part of a small minority who would want this, but any chance we can get LTD's on some niche PS4 & Vita software like we did for 3DS & WiiU?

stryke

I think this info is very interesting (don't know the number split):

ZhugeEX ‏@ZhugeEX 3m3 minutes ago
Yup, said it would happen. Star Wars Battlefront has sold more than 12 million units since launch making it a huge success.

That looks like it was written by Hot Toys who probably took the 12 million figure Pachter was throwing around.

That's still just analyst figures. Nothing concrete from EA.

Chobel

Some stats about India console market from Zhuge https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/688000657207504896

y7oJR7g.png

Yeah, I've made pages and pages worth of comments about TR and its projected sales . . .

HOLD THE FUCKING PRESSES! People talking about sales in sales thread?

otakukidd

I agree with you that not being #1 does not mean that a product is not selling well. Just ask Burger King. However, XB1 is only putting up great numbers in the U.S. Yes, I know that this is an NPD thread and we are talking U.S. numbers, but outside the U.S., XB1 is struggling in most countries, if not outright dead in many. Without the U.S. to keep the XB1 afloat, I could have seen MS pulling the plug. But, yes, in the U.S. XB1 is putting up great numbers. It doesn't, however, make up for the 2:1 sales advantage of PS4 worldwide.

Doesn't that mean it would hit its ceiling sooner? Selling so much in one place while the others not so much.

Rymuth

Yeah, I've made pages and pages worth of comments about TR and its projected sales . . .
You're in the top 10 in the number of posts in the ROTTR sales in the UK thread.

Pretty much your entire agenda is popping in any MS sales thread (Halo/ROTTR) going "LOL! Gaf so obsessed! LOL LOL LOL!" - mayhaps you need to stop before you give yourself a laughing fit? :)

leeh

Why the hell would RoTTR have that high digital ratio? Anyway I assume people used the known 80:20 ratio meaning digital is 25% of physical.
I was just correcting him since he was doing percentages based on physical than the total.

The more I read MS PR the more upset I become. How things have changed since the glorious 360 days....

Are you serious? MS has ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS made statements like this since the XB360 vs. PS3 era. Greenburg is the absolute worst, followed closely by Nelson. This is one of the main reasons that I cannot support the XB platform. Spin is one thing. Lies, deceit and spreading FUD is completely another. And, IMO, MS raises even that to another level.

That was WW, Yuri. Yep missed the question.

Well that's what I thought, but the conversation seems to have been going on for pages and still is, unless Ive misread or misunderstood the data and info we have?

Data and extraps people are working with are solid. Good range of potential sales had been identified. Nothing wrong with verifying corporate statements or being interested in a particular title or franchise.

Look, it's better that people are very interested in the title and its performance than not.

TR looks to have struggled, but all the interest in it suggests an audience that cares about the game and most likely wants to buy and play it.

If TR sold what it looks to have sold and no one cared?? Well, that would be a much more dire and unfortunate situation, wouldn't you agree?

Ōkami

Wii U is just a tad higher than 5m.

3DS is over 16m too, but new to know October and November to me precise.

Can anyone share Vita data for the whole year? Last update I had was from February.

My predictions vs the results.

PS4 : 1690 vs 1582
XB1 : 1480 vs 1376
WIU : 480 vs 463

Can't believe i added 100k to ps4 and xb1 in the last days. I should have trusted my guts, i could have won the biggest month of the year. :(

[PS4] 1660K
[XB1] 1320K
[3DS] 410K
[WIU] 320K

nintendo robbed me of the win

Some stats about India console market from Zhuge https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/688000657207504896

y7oJR7g.png

HOLD THE FUCKING PRESSES! People talking about sales in sales thread?

I am happy to talk about sales in a sales thread, what I struggle to understand or follow is this incessant narrative that the number is a lie. Folk are extrapolating and sounding pretty tin foil hat material with regards to this 1 million figure, its been said this sounds reasonable by a few in here who a lot of people seem to respect the opinion of but we have had pages discussing ways in which it cant be true.

All the numbers we have at our disposal and it seems to hark back to TR quite a bit, I just dont get that?

That was WW, Yuri. Yep missed the question.

Data and extraps people are working with are solid. Good range of potential sales had been identified. Nothing wrong with verifying corporate statements or being interested in a particular title or franchise.

Look, it's better that people are very interested in the title and its performance than not.

TR looks to have struggled, but all the interest in it suggests an audience that cares about the game and most likely wants to buy and play it.

If TR sold what it looks to have sold and no one cared?? Well, that would be a much more dire and unfortunate situation, wouldn't you agree?

Absolutely, your posts in these threads are ones that I look out for as they seem to be based on facts and numbers with no ulterior motive being displayed.

Im not having a go at anyone in particular, I suppose im just struggling to understand the back and forth this game seems to create.

All the numbers we have at our disposal and it seems to hark back to TR quite a bit, I just dont get that?

Because it's a beloved franchise and a fantastic game that sadly unperformed massively, making it a source of interest trying to figure out why. The numbers we have also barely seem to match up with the "well over 1m" figure claimed by Microsoft, making it a point of confusion. Hence, a lot of discussion, simply because it's interesting.

Heck, 1 million is not some amazing sales figure for games of TR's calibre and IP popularity. Xbox is not some dead platform, high quality big & popular games can achieve >1mil shipment figures on just the XB1 platform, much less 2.

I mean, games that didn't do remotely anywhere close to what RoTR did on NPD like Driveclub and LBP3 also all managed to sell more than 2mil/1mil respectively. There were a lot of bundling, true, but bundling only helps a game to an extent.

leeh

Heck, 1 million is not some amazing sales figure for games of TR's calibre and IP popularity. Xbox is not some dead platform, high quality big & popular games can achieve >1mil shipment figures on just the XB1 platform, much less 2.

I mean, games that didn't do remotely anywhere close to what RoTR did on NPD like Driveclub and LBP3 also all managed to sell more than 2mil/1mil respectively. There were a lot of bundling, true, but bundling only helps a game to an extent.
Considering the f all advertising I saw for it over Christmas, I'd say it was pretty good. There's all the negativity towards the deal as well, which must trend and cast a certain image over it.
If it is 1.38 for XB1, I was super close to that... I predicted 1.35 for XB1!!
Is that WW?

MS still won 2 months in 2015. They'll win another one again sometime in 2016. Sony is winning in NA but its hardly a blowout

MS hardly "WON" October. Yeah, they sold more during the Halo 5 launch month, but as I recall, it was a very slim victory at only around 24,000 units.

How is NA not a blowout? PS4 is up by close to 1.5 million sold in MS's home territory and XB1 is selling terribly in the rest of the world. That sort of momentum continues to build and (although I am no expert), I think that 2016 will see Sony increase its lead in the U.S. over MS.

Bluenoser

I am happy to talk about sales in a sales thread, what I struggle to understand or follow is this incessant narrative that the number is a lie. Folk are extrapolating and sounding pretty tin foil hat material with regards to this 1 million figure, its been said this sounds reasonable by a few in here who a lot of people seem to respect the opinion of but we have had pages discussing ways in which it cant be true.

Well to be fair when MS announced the 1+M sales for their exclusives, it really did seem far fetched that RotTR made it to 1M. At that time, everyone was saying ok wait for NPD so we can make sense of it. Well here is NPD, and we are making sense of it. The conclusion was that MS was likely telling the truth, although as usual Greenburg doubled down on it, and stated "well over 1M" which is ambiguous.

Is it really hard to believe this topic is being discussed?

Top Bottom