• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Since this is Bloodborne, am I safe to say that multi-plats are just dwarfing exclusives this gen? With this, it makes Halo/RoTR sound like its performing just fine in the current market.

Just to put this in perspective, imagine that before Halo 5 launch someone posted here on GAF that the game would perform in the same ballpark as a exclusive souls game.

(i'm not saying that they sold the same amount, this is just a hypotesis)

pastrami

2m Bloodborne seems very reasonable.

Other question I have though... so all these 3DS HW units. Are these just all replacement New 3DS units to old 3DS owners? Sure doesn't seem that all this new 3DS HW is generating much in terms of SW. Or has digital share on 3DS skyrocketed?

Thinking it's the former. Tough to tell.

Well, there's a reason the n3DS doesn't come with a charging cable.

Mory Dunz

2m Bloodborne seems very reasonable.

Other question I have though... so all these 3DS HW units. Are these just all replacement New 3DS units to old 3DS owners? Sure doesn't seem that all this new 3DS HW is generating much in terms of SW. Or has digital share on 3DS skyrocketed?

Thinking it's the former. Tough to tell.

What sw would you expect though. None of the games cream said were really evergreen so we dont know how the usual suspects did.

Nvm, you have numbers so I guess those titles did poorly lol

Chobel

Since this is Bloodborne, am I safe to say that multi-plats are just dwarfing exclusives this gen? With this, it makes Halo/RoTR sound like its performing just fine in the current market.

I'll give you Halo 5; even though it did underperform for a Halo game, it still did nice numbers. RoTTR though? Its numbers are very low for a big AAA game.

Conduit

Banned

Halo 5 performed...well....well, bun not so good for one Halo game. Game had massive drop in sales compared to other Halos.
And ROTR...just NO! That game is not performing well WW on Xbox platforms, even on biggest Xbox's market - US/UK.

So according to producer Yosuke Futami, Sword Art Online Lost Song [PS4&VITA] has a 30% digital for the US. 100K sold including 30K digital.

Interesting.

So the VITA market we all know is overwhelmingly digital. Would be really interesting to see the 3DS trend and see how quickly digital adoption is happening there (unfortunately we can't).

We spend all our time talking about console DD rates, maybe handheld isn't quite as bad as the majority of people seem to think it is? Hmmm.

Fdkn

Interesting.

So the VITA market we all know is overwhelmingly digital. Would be really interesting to see the 3DS trend and see how quickly digital adoption is happening there (unfortunately we can't).

We spend all our time talking about console DD rates, maybe handheld isn't quite as bad as the majority of people seem to think it is? Hmmm.

If I had to guess, I think 3DS is on the opposite side of the spectrum regarding digital adoption, but we're on esoteric territory of course

Alright, the Bloodborne data. Here's all the NPD info. we know of:
Code:
Bloodborne	
[Month]         [Rank]          [Sales]         [LTD]           [Drop]
[03/2015]	#2		389,000		/ 389,000		
[04/2015]			89,000		/ 478,000	77%

And we know that it's less then Splatoon LTD, which puts it at <850k. As of June 2015, Bloodborne sold about 406k in the EU. Since then, I believe the only data we've gotten is that it's crossed 100k (digital plus physical) in Germany by November. In Japan, it sold 209k by the end of November.

Two months of US, roughly 3-4 months of EU and the entire year of Japan gives us 1093k retail copies. The 2 million mark was announced at TGS in September, 2015.

I don't really think I need say much more to show why the 2 million number was quite likely.

Bluenoser

Alright, the Bloodborne data. Here's all the NPD info. we know of:
Code:
Bloodborne	
[Month]         [Rank]          [Sales]         [LTD]           [Drop]
[03/2015]	#2		389,000		/ 389,000		
[04/2015]			89,000		/ 478,000	77%

And we know that it's less then Splatoon LTD, which puts it at <850k. As of June 2015, Bloodborne sold about 406k in the EU. Since then, I believe the only data we've gotten is that it's crossed 100k (digital plus physical) in Germany by November. In Japan, it sold 209k by the end of November.

Two months of US, roughly 3-4 months of EU and the entire year of Japan gives us 1093k retail copies. The 2 million mark was announced at TGS in September, 2015.

I don't really think I need say much more to show why the 2 million number was quite likely.

And don't forget a renewed interest when Old Hunters released, and was sold together in a package with the main game. Very likely got a boost in November in all regions.

The market's been trending that way for a decade, not only this gen. It's just that Halo used to be an exception, but evidently no longer is. We'll find out soon enough if Uncharted, Gears, or Gran Turismo retain their exceptional character.

I think Nintendo and Sony should do a handheld, I believe it's still a market for gamers that like smaller screens and portability, I think, it just has to be an extension of the console experience. I think Sony made roadway here in the devs side, win Vita/Ps4, but I disagree the market is not good for another handheld like Shu said. I think the NX rumor is pretty solid, and if devs are making a big game for Ps4, it should be a light version of that for the handheld. Or I guess Sony could just make a custom Android Tablet that is a PSN device.

Really interested to see what NX is tbh...

The market's been trending that way for a decade, not only this gen. It's just that Halo used to be an exception, but evidently no longer is. We'll find out soon enough if Uncharted, Gears, or Gran Turismo retain their exceptional character.

Uncharted was never on the level of the other two, especially Gears in the NPD.

The highest Uncharted opening is Uncharted 3 at 700k. The lowest Gears opening is Judgement at 620k. The lowest Gears opening for a mainline title is Gears of War 1 at 1 million.

It's more accurate to say that we'll find out if Uncharted will become what Gears is/was.

Elandyll

Banned
Uncharted was never on the level of the other two, especially Gears in the NPD.

The highest Uncharted opening is Uncharted 3 at 700k. The lowest Gears opening is Judgement at 620k. The lowest Gears opening for a mainline title is Gears of War 1 at 1 million.

It's more accurate to say that we'll find out if Uncharted will become what Gears is/was.
Halo, no. That's the MS juggernaut (or used to be) that can only be compared to GT (or what GT was) for Sony.
But on a WW basis, UC has proven to be more than competitive with its last 1 or 2 entries imo, perhaps even outdoing the last GeoW mainline entry even with UC3.
But as I said before, UC4 and Gears 4 will show us where they stand this year.

Halo, no. That's the MS juggernaut (or used to be) that can only be compared to GT (or what GT was) for Sony.
But on a WW basis, UC has proven to be more than competitive with its last 1 or 2 entries imo, perhaps even outdoing the last GeoW mainline entry even with UC3.

WW, for sure. Each UC entry has been a bigger hit (and likewise in the NPD). I was strictly speaking in NPD terms there. My apologies for the lack of clarification.

People often refer the Wii as an "anomaly", but holy crap that graph is something else indeed...

'Cause I didn't like the old one I came up with a new graph. Quick and dirty (Zhuge wont be proud), but it'll do the trick. And the numbers are the latest official ones.

screenshot01-15-16at0v7s2y.png

viHuGi

Banned

Uncharted 4 will destroy Gears of War 4 and Halo 5 combined.

Kill3r7

WW, for sure. Each UC entry has been a bigger hit (and likewise in the NPD). I was strictly speaking in NPD terms there. My apologies for the lack of clarification.

There is no need to clarify. You are in the NPD thread. If you are talking WW than you would need to say so. Otherwise, it is safe to assume you are talking about NPD.

My major Microsoft related prediction before this gen started was that Gears would be bigger than Halo by the end of this gen. I think it's going to happen. There isn't as much direct competition against Gears as there is against Halo, especially among multiplayer games.

leeh

Halo 5 performed...well....well, bun not so good for one Halo game. Game had massive drop in sales compared to other Halos.
And ROTR...just NO! That game is not performing well WW on Xbox platforms, even on biggest Xbox's market - US/UK.
My only problem with this is that this is judged prior to the release of CoD4. It lost its quality and presence after that. I don't think Halo will ever be what it once was.

Still it's hard to believe that in a NPD thread UC first month could out sell halo first month.
Just saying that a few months ago and people would have call you crazy .

In NPD or WW? The console install base in the NPD zone isn't that much different between the the two.

Sure, right now. But look at PS4/MS installbase when Halo 5 arrived and compare that to the one in April. Of course Halo 5 also benefited from holiday season, but still, there's a significant gap.

Busaiku

If I had to guess, I think 3DS is on the opposite side of the spectrum regarding digital adoption, but we're on esoteric territory of course
Nah, it's probably about the same, with stuff like Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, and so on having high digital ratios.

Toad did 250 iirc. If xeno did that or MP10s 290 I wouldve agreed with over performed.

Possible legs will be interesting.

Well I know Toad was 250k but I don't actually think there is a massive gulf between them. I think Xeno is not going to have any legs though. I think unlike Toad where its price, its general audience and its pick up and play nature makes it an easy buy for anyone, Xeno really is a harder on the shelf buy. Then again Bayonetta 2 more than doubled its opening month as have most of Nintendos major releases so it is possible

LTD
  • Not include HW bundle
  • Include special editions

Z:MM3D ~ 942
MH4U ~ 458
AC:AHL+ ~ 9
FF:F ~ 93
S.T.E.A.M. ~ 50
XC3D ~ 147
EMD ~ 20
P&D ~ 103
SMT:DS2RB ~ 42
LBX ~ 33
EO2U:TFK ~ 19
AC:HHD ~ 270
Miku ~ 45
SK2:DC ~ 16
Z: TH ~ 312
DBZ: EB ~ 48
Chibi ~ 57
TLOL ~ 31
PSMD ~ 352
YKW ~ 195
SK ~ 27

Kirby ~ 193
MP10 ~ 633
S ~ 849
SMM ~ 944
Yoshi ~ 457
MT: US ~ 67
AC: AF ~ 63
SK ~ 23

Thanks. quite a list
Majora did well. Monster hunter too
Splatoon and Mario Maker over a million with bundles and digital sales.
Yoshi did decent in the US at least. Kirby slowly crawling to 200K
sad to see Etrian as low.

Mikey Jr.

'Cause I didn't like the old one I came up with a new graph. Quick and dirty (Zhuge wont be proud), but it'll do the trick. And the numbers are the latest official ones.

screenshot01-15-16at0xuylg.png

Jesus. Take out the Wii for a second and look at the trajectory of Nintendo consoles.

That shit looks rough.

Still it's hard to believe that in a NPD thread UC first month could out sell halo first month.
Just saying that a few months ago and people would have call you crazy .
Yeah, times change. UC4 looks to be at least as successful as TLOU, seems it's a lot of hype around it, good release schedule, could definitely open up bigger than Halo 5, worldwide, it will likely double sales of Halo or more. ND are really ending this thing with a love letter to fans, in fact SP DLC is announced, so there won't be an UC5 with this cast anymore, and unless some other studio has some brilliant idea that ND approves of, this is the finale. I can see it being ND's best game and being another critical darling. ND are very fortunate gaming industry stories generally suck, they can still wow everyone by just telling a good story again.

Welfare

No Xbox/PS4 software yet? Guess I should go play some games then.

Also, I'm not particularly fond of discussing WW XB1 sell through now, but I'm going to leave this.

The original Xbox shipped 24 million units by the end of 2005. 14.5m units were sold in the US by 2006. It basically stopped selling at this point because MS stopped shipping OGBox's for 360's.

Assuming 0 units were shipped after 2005, and all stock sold through to consumers that's a ratio of 60:40 between the US:ROTW. That was shooterbox 1, with no existing fan base to sell to like the Gamecube and PS2, and the ratio was only 60:40. (Able to sell almost 10 million outside the US)

The Xbox 360 shipped around 86 million units by 2014, potentially past 87 million now. At the end of 2014, the Xbox 360 sold ~42.3m units in the US. There would not be a huge amount of stock for the 360 at this point, so 1 million units waiting to be sold at the end of 2014 is highly unlikely. 750k is as well, but let's go with as high as 800k waiting to be sold (highly unlikely). 85.2m were sold to consumers at the end of 2014. That's a US:ROTW ratio of 50:50. Any number of of stock lower than 800k raises the ratio between the US and ROTW in the ROTW's favor.

Why would the Xbox One have a worse ratio between the US:ROTW than the Original Xbox? This isn't 2001 where the Xbox had to find it's own market, this is 2016 where there is a market for the console in not just the US. Anything above 65:35 for the Xbox One makes no sense. If anything, unless there is news that completely confirms the US accounts for ~65-70% of the US, it makes more sense to stick around 60%, because even the Original Xbox did not have that big of a disparity, despite being dubbed shit like "Shooterbox" and "USbox".

If you are going to throw out numbers like 70%, use that for the US+UK. US is at 11.13m and the UK is >2m (like 2.3-2.4m), or >13.13 (or >13.43-13.53)m.

Cornbread78

Interesting.

Didn't Sony comment on the extremely high DD usage (VITA) for the west at one point?

I'm really happy with my PS4/XB1 predictions, but damn, did I drop the ball on the MS sales.

My guesses (actual)
[PS4] 1525k (1525)
[XB1] 1376k (1375)
[3DS] 400k (580)
[WIIU] 300k (463)

Top Bottom