• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Absolutely, your posts in these threads are ones that I look out for as they seem to be based on facts and numbers with no ulterior motive being displayed.

Im not having a go at anyone in particular, I suppose im just struggling to understand the back and forth this game seems to create.

Just to give my 2 cents, i think TR is a game that attracts so much discussion because of the special situation that it is.

Is a previous multiplatform game turned into a (timed)exclusive. It launched in a platform that historically isn't the most popular for the franchise and is the underdog this gen.

The game was surrounded by controversy because of the poor reveal and the confuse exclusivity information. To add fuel to the flame SQ supposedly traded a additional 6 month delay to the ps4 version just to be allowed to talk about the other versions before the XBOX launch.

And let's not forget the idiot decision of launching the same day as Fallout 4.

Just to give my 2 cents, i think TR is a game that attracts so much discussion because of the special situation that it is.

Is a previous multiplatform game turned into a (timed)exclusive. It launched in a platform that historically isn't the most popular for the franchise and is the underdog this gen.

The game was surrounded by controversy because of the poor reveal and the confuse exclusivity information. To add fuel to the flame SQ supposedly traded a additional 6 month delay to the ps4 version just to be allowed to talk about the other versions before the XBOX launch.

And let's not forget the idiot decision of launching the same day as Fallout 4.

Agree with all of that, did it sell a million though ;)

Mory Dunz

None of my faves flopped, in fact, they quite over-performed.

EmHsTUZ.gif

Yokai and xeno over performed?

Kill3r7

Raibow Six Siege is a great surprise for the month, 808k is way ahead of what I tought that would sell. Delay the launch for december was a good strategy, in november would be killed.

That's a pretty solid number. I like the fact that Ubi is not afraid to launch in December. It payed off for them with Far Cry 3 and the same seems to be true with R6S.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Agree with all of that, did it sell a million though ;)

Yes, counting everything (bundles, digital, Xbox 360 copies) is safe to say that it reached the 1 million milestone.

I just curious to know how much is the "much more" that Greenberg tweeted. =]

Driveclub is >2 million.

I thought that 2 million was a global figure?
I remember the debut NPD was quite bad and it wasn't that heavily bundled like in the UK

Well infamous sold like 500k the first month, i need a confirmation on the others tho, after two years killzone should be over 500k too

KZ Shadowfall passed 2.1 million units in January 2014.
Don't forget it was heavily bundled throughout the PS4 early days so it must above Tomb Raider

Kill3r7

Well infamous sold like 500k the first month, i need a confirmation on the others tho, after two years killzone should be over 500k too

Killzone should be the highest of them all. IIRC, it sold over a million copies by the end of 2013 NPD. Infamous should be 2. Blooborne 3. Until Dawn 4. Driveclub 5. Tearaway lucky to have sold more 50K.

Tarrin

Yeah, seems odd we only ever get Nintendo LTD. Maybe leaking their numbers ruffles fewer feathers, dunno.

We already know Splatoon LTD > Bloodborne LTD, so Bloodborne would be less than 849,000 units.

Kind of disappointing.

Only around 850k for the U.S? Seems a bit low. Do we know any other numbers for Bloodborne?

EGM1966

Absolutely, your posts in these threads are ones that I look out for as they seem to be based on facts and numbers with no ulterior motive being displayed.

Im not having a go at anyone in particular, I suppose im just struggling to understand the back and forth this game seems to create.

You're surprised a videogame forums is focusing on a deal that has been the subject of scrutiny and discussion since it was announced? A deal that clearly backfired that stands out against the normal humdrum of the business?

Okay...

I'm surprised it's not getting more focus myself.

Now if you're talking about those revelling in simply repeating it was a failure of a deal, then yeah I get the confusion I guess but console warriors will latch onto any victory. Shouldn't get in the way of sensible discussion of one of the major talking points from sales perspective of November/December.

Only 850k for the U.S? Seems a bit low. Do we know any other numbers for Bloodborne?
As of April 2015:

From Software's latest role-playing game, the PlayStation 4 exclusive Bloodborne, has shipped 1 million copies worldwide since its release at the end of March. Sony announced the sales figured today today, which counts copies shipped as of April 5.

As of September 2015:

The game has now sold more than 2 million copies since launch in late March 2015, Sony announced today as part of the Tokyo Game Show. This is up from 1 million in April. The 2 million figure counts copies sold on disc and digitally through the PlayStation Store.

Obviously, digital sales make things harder to parse out, but in retail, the game did poorly in Japan and meh in Europe (not even charting in the Top 50 for 2015, with sales between 100k and 200k).

I'm not seeing an easy path to 2 million.

Tarrin

As of April 2015:

As of September 2015:

Obviously, digital sales make things harder to parse out, but in retail, the game did poorly in Japan and meh in Europe (not even charting in the Top 50 for 2015, with sales between 100k and 200k).

Thanks for the info! Digital around 20-25% might be what pushed it to the 2mil it seems.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
this has me worried for horizon, maybe gamers just don't wanna play as a female? i can't think of any reason it would bomb this hard.

The last game shipped over 8.5 million copies. I can't imagine this has become a problem in the previous two years.

On the other hand, people neither buy nor make a ton of non-open-world singleplayer third person shooters at this point, especially when they release next to many other huge games.

So did we find out if Greenberg was lying aboot ROTR sold through?

Unlikely. He was probably being intentionally vague with the "well over" but to me, the numbers suggest that it could have (or rather did) hit 1 million. Probably not much over that though.

Unlikely. He was probably being intentionally vague with the "well over" but to me, the numbers suggest that it could have (or rather did) hit 1 million. Probably not much over that though.

International 360 sales of RotR are probably higher than most of us expected, if I had to guess at how RotR reached 1 million. People weren't about to buy a XB1 for the game and the port was very good, so might as well get the 360 version.

leeh

As of April 2015:

As of September 2015:

I'm not seeing an easy path to 2 million.
Since this is Bloodborne, am I safe to say that multi-plats are just dwarfing exclusives this gen? With this, it makes Halo/RoTR sound like its performing just fine in the current market.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Yeah, seems odd we only ever get Nintendo LTD. Maybe leaking their numbers ruffles fewer feathers, dunno.

We already know Splatoon LTD > Bloodborne LTD, so Bloodborne would be less than 849,000 units.

Kind of disappointing.

There was a post last night that basically said guess which of these games have sold more than GAFs favorite GOTY 2015 (which I suppose is Bloodborne). And the correct answer was all of them.

etta

my hard graphic balls

So green
Ice
berg salad isn't actually bad for your health.
It's just evilr has an allergy.

Btw, I'm getting R6S on Monday, we playing then.

International 360 sales of RotR are probably higher than most of us expected, if I had to guess at how RotR reached 1 million. People weren't about to buy a XB1 for the game and the port was very good, so might as well get the 360 version.

That might be likely.

The game is at 412k in the US. It was estimated to be around 150k early December in the UK. That puts it at 562k retail for US+UK. 20% digital in US would give us 82k copies. Lets say 15% digital in UK (number I pull out of thin air because I assume UK has a lower digital ratio due to pricing), which would give us 22.5k copies. That puts us at 666.5k copies. Since you can't sell .5 of a game, the number is really 666k. And that's the number of the beast, ergo, it hit 1 million.

So green
Ice
berg salad isn't actually bad for your health.
It's just evilr has an allergy.

Btw, I'm getting R6S on Monday, we playing then.

Aw yes! Great choice.

Bundle assumption was 190k at 400k us physical.

Only issue I have with the statements were the "well over" bit he tacked on. 1m I can see a reasonable path to, but "well over"? Don't know about that, or how it is even defined.
If you just insert the comma he probably forgot, it reads "well, over" which would accurately represent the disappointment with its sales. Surprised a PR wizard like him would miss it.

There was a post last night that basically said guess which of these games have sold more than GAFs favorite GOTY 2015 (which I suppose is Bloodborne). And the correct answer was all of them.

Yeah. That 2 million figure looks kind of shady? Dunno, may it over performed in digital.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Ōkami;192275735 said:
Wii U is just a tad higher than 5m.

3DS is over 16m too, but new to know October and November to me precise.

Can anyone share Vita data for the whole year? Last update I had was from February.

Well Vita was like 72.8K this month if that helps. (Based on #s and 32% decline for portables)

Since this is Bloodborne, am I safe to say that multi-plats are just dwarfing exclusives this gen? With this, it makes Halo/RoTR sound like its performing just fine in the current market.

But TR and Halo are both iconic pop culture franchises, whereas Bloodborne and Souls games are only relevant to gamers who actually bother with forums/internet news. Also, Bloodborne doesn't have the accessibility factor the other two franchises have.

leeh

But TR and Halo are both iconic pop culture franchises, whereas Bloodborne and Souls games are only relevant to gamers who actually bother with forums/internet news. Also, Bloodborne doesn't have the accessibility factor the other two franchises have.
Times change, CoD took the FPS title after Halo 3 was released in '07. Just shows the state of the market IMO rather than the quality of the product.

2m Bloodborne seems very reasonable.

Other question I have though... so all these 3DS HW units. Are these just all replacement New 3DS units to old 3DS owners? Sure doesn't seem that all this new 3DS HW is generating much in terms of SW. Or has digital share on 3DS skyrocketed?

Thinking it's the former. Tough to tell.

Top Bottom