• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

First of all your wrong.

But Show me where I said the Xbox One would win over the ps4 in the U.S., and Ill literally give you $555 but you cant because I never said that anywhere.

The guy who i was quoting said will the Xbox One win a month this year, and I said there was a chance for them to win the first 6 months of the year.

and your post in every thread looks to be just as full of shit with bad reading comprehension as now.

BTW, i guess that thread where I ASKED guys opinion if Crysis 1 was good, was a... false..clai, what wow your nuts.

So you think the Xbone will win the first 6 months of this year?

Square2015

SW: last four generations
bP7Tjya.png

HW: last four generations
5nEvLdf.png

With this free chart tool, there were a lmited number of categories so I had to just keep using the manufacturer instead of each console /hopefully not too confusing.

Wii nearly 4 million in December alone, we have never seen such numbers and probably never will again. The previous record holder was PS2 with 2.7m in 2002. Wii-mania INsanity. The top three titles (on Wii of course) sell 7 million together, even beating out this year's CoD!
The WIi (& DS) pushed sales for the industry this month to $5.5 billion and for the year $19.6 billion, a new record. (**in 2015, it did what $13b?**)
Incredible all around.
IN other news, PS3 managed to edge out 360, just barely. The PS3 can thank the SLIM model released in September in addition to the new 250GB Slim model released last month. Quite a turn around from last Holiday when the 260 doubled PS3 1.4m to 0.7m (Wii aped both with 2.2m).

Okay, so this was an impressive year for XBOX, first the surprise price drop in April that began to put the XB in a competitive mode with the PS2 in month-to-month sales throughout the year, now the system has just won Christmas. No doubt this is thanks to Halo 2 which broke all kinds of records last month, KOTOR II this month, and the Holiday bundle (two free games bundle), an annual Christmas tradition from Microsoft. While this is an impressive victory for the XBOX brand and shows the power of killer SW, remember that the PSTWO was released just last month (the "Slim model") and there were shortages of the new system throughout the Season. GTA: San Andreas at 5m in three months!? Have we ever seen such monstrosity? Not up to this point. 2004 was a record breaking year.

Metal Gear Solid 3 at 780k, compare that to MGS2 at 1.3m during the same period back in '01.
Metroid Prime 2 (didn't chart) at 460k LTD, down a bit from MP1 at 720k over the same period in '02. Other Nintendo: Paper Mario: Thousand-Year Door (Sep release) finishes the year with 550k sold. Compare that to the original Paper Mario (Feb '01 release) which ended that year with 470k LTD, so PM:TYD is performing ahead of the original.
Mario Power Tennis: (Nov release) 300k, pretty good. Mario Tennis 64 (Sep '00 release) finished that year with 400k sold by comparison.

more to come...

First of all your wrong.

But Show me where I said the Xbox One would win over the ps4 in the U.S., and Ill literally give you $555 but you cant because I never said that anywhere.

The guy who i was quoting said will the Xbox One win a month this year, and I said there was a chance for them to win the first 6 months of the year.

and your post in every thread looks to be just as full of shit with bad reading comprehension as now.

BTW, i guess that thread where I ASKED guys opinion if Crysis 1 was good, was a... false..clai, what wow your nuts.

1. Argumentum ad nauseam

StrawMan.jpg

giphy.gif

4. Blaming other people for your argumentative deficiencies again already?

5. Saying ethomaz is nuts when you're showing signs of insanity is quite paradoxical, don't you think? I remember Amir0x saying you should be more concise with your posts, but hey, continue to ignore good advice...

Saty

Undertale is extremely profitable but for a company like EA, $6,000,000 only amounts to 0.13% of total revenue. To get growth that matters for a company like EA or Activision, you need a game that generates nine digits (eg $300 million). It just isn't worth it for them to make a game like Undertale.

EA are making Unravel. Why can't they make 2-3 titles a year of that scale and cost when they have guaranteed hundreds of millions from FIFA and Madden each year? You can't compare it like-for-like with Undertale because those EA games will be $20-30 and on 3 platforms at least and enjoying EA's recognition and press. There are also better examples for what EA can possibly do in that price bracket with Rocket League and ARK: Survival Evolved.

I agree with what you say here, but I would point out that it's a little disappointing (and unbalanced) we had a ton of LTD data for Wii U/3DS games, and nothing for PS4/Xbox One. Except the big three (Black Ops, Star Wars, Fallout) that was provided in detail by Overlord Mulcair.

I don't think anyone is making an effort to be "balanced", nor do they need to. We should be grateful that Cream and Mulcair bestow upon us whatever numbers they see fit to share. Obviously other numbers would be nice and there are things each person would like to know which differs from each poster but I don't think we should complain if we don't get them

Imagine if someone spelled out BB sales? If a user wants to post that, good for them. But I hope you can understand why that might not be a super appealing idea?
The most bizarre thing is that we don't just get box office numbers and revenue from films, no, they studios even are proud of them and use them for PR/marketing.
And if we see on IMDB or so that a film flopped - so what?
Games publishers are, compared to this, really strange. I am used to that but I will never unterstand it. It always seems psychotic to me.

Still amazed by the Wii. Goodness.

Edit: Also, Original Xbox beat the PS2 in America during December 2004? Didn't know that. Halo 2 effect I guess.
Dumb question: is it thinkable that Wii made more profit on hardware than WiiU on software for NIntendo ?
Maybe if you include Wiimotes, Balance Boards, Wheels, Crossbows etc.? (the extras they had... Amazing)

1. Argumentum ad nauseam

StrawMan.jpg

giphy.gif

4. Blaming other people for your argumentative deficiencies again already?

5. Saying ethomaz is nuts when you're showing signs of insanity is quite paradoxical, don't you think? I remember Amir0x saying you should be more concise with your posts, but hey, continue to ignore good advice...

Huh odd, nowhere in the post can anyone who can read think that I said Xbox one will catch the ps4. Again your bad reading comprehension. And his.

So do we have Spyro and Crash Bandicoot LTDs or numbers up till Skylanders, because the chart Travis just posted makes me feel as if Svyro was never really a thing in the first place. Which would be odd considering how hyped it was.

I am curious to know how as well.

starshiptrooperswide.jpg

/clicks YES

Let make this simple

Guy says Xbox one wont win a month this year.

I say it will likely win a month during the first 6 months of this year. Im mostly focusing on QB when I say this.

Dont see any issues here. Could be wrong, depends on how big QB is. Or rather if MS actually promotes it.

The most bizarre thing is that we don't just get box office numbers and revenue from films, no, they studios even are proud of them and use them for PR/marketing.
And if we see on IMDB or so that a film flopped - so what?
Games publishers are, compared to this, really strange. I am used to that but I will never unterstand it. It always seems psychotic to me.

Completely agree.

Once I'm able, would love to write an inside-baseball look at how the business side of this industry rolls. Sure I could sell dozens of copies, but some of the stories man, some of the stories.

Biggest takeaway after a long time is "never assign to malice that which can be explained through stupidity and incompetence".

QaaQer

i'm trying to think of the influential things that are blowing up in the industry and how often does it happen on dedicated hardware anymore? maybe just monster hunter in japan, but it's been a while since clones of that started coming.

toby fox asked for $5,000 to make undertale, got $50,000, and has so far earned over $6,000,000 from steam. it's also a game that actually uses the pc as a means to tell its story, something i've only seen in one or two games before this. i'm sure now there are publishers who would love to have this on console, but the game wouldn't really be the same on console. nor would it have been greenlit in the first place. stuff like brothers, journey, and shovel knight can only get a retail release after being a hit on digital platforms. shouldn't this be a hint that there's value in taking a step back, maybe devoting the resources to one of the three games that's eating up a $40 million budget, and making ten smaller ones instead? are publishers hopelessly locked in chasing this needy demographic?

Artistic projects that are products of bureaucratic corporations are driven by numbers. The job of the people deciding on where money goes is to maximize roi. So, how are these people supposed to decide which indie-game-made-by-one-guy to back out of the thousands that get made every year? How would someone looking at kickstarter games 18 months ago know which game was going to be huge?

The PC is open with a low bar of entry and no gatekeepers. So that's where amateurs go. And amidst all the noise and garbage, things like undertake or even Facebook can arise. Those aren't things that come from big companies, with maybe the exception of 20th century Ma Bell.

But maybe I'm pessimistic. How would you suggest Ms or Sony create an Undertake?

Lemondish

Let make this simple

I say it will likely win a month during the first 6 months of this year. Im mostly focusing on QB when I say this.

Dont see any issues here. Could be wrong, depends on how big QB is. Or rather if MS actually promotes it.

By focusing on QB as the catalyst, you're explicitly stating that you believe Xbox will win Uncharted 4 month. That's bloody insane.

EA are making Unravel. Why can't they make 2-3 titles a year of that scale and cost when they have guaranteed hundreds of millions from FIFA and Madden each year? You can't compare it like-for-like with Undertale because those EA games will be $20-30 and on 3 platforms at least and enjoying EA's recognition and press. There are also better examples for what EA can possibly do in that price bracket with Rocket League and ARK: Survival Evolved.

When you're a publicly held company like EA then you have to show growth to appease shareholders. Making those games doesn't grow the company like making Star Wars: Battlefront or the sports games do. The money they generate is basically a blip on the radar in terms of their overall balance sheet, and if they actually have to divert money/resources away from the big games to do it, then it just doesn't make sense for them to do so. Ubi can get away with it, I would argue, because they have so many employees/studios working on their big games that there's bound to be downtime when a group of people aren't working on a particular project (and the next iteration of a project hasn't gotten to them yet), so it makes sense to let them work on something else that could gain you notoriety/money in the meantime. Most (if not all) of EA's studios are working on specific games/series, so the time spent not working on the current installment can usually be used to work on the next big game/installment.

Artistic projects that are products of bureaucratic corporations are driven by numbers. The job of the people deciding on where money goes is to maximize roi. So, how are these people supposed to decide which indie-game-made-by-one-guy to back out of the thousands that get made every year? How would someone looking at kickstarter games 18 months ago know which game was going to be huge?

The PC is open with a low bar of entry and no gatekeepers. So that's where amateurs go. And amidst all the noise and garbage, things like undertake or even Facebook can arise. Those aren't things that come from big companies, with maybe the exception of 20th century Ma Bell.

But maybe I'm pessimistic. How would you suggest Ms or Sony create an Undertake?
Sony already is. It's called Dreams :)

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Let make this simple

Do you realise that Quantum Break will release in the same month of Uncharted 4, right?

By focusing on QB as the catalyst, you're explicitly stating that you believe Xbox will win Uncharted 4 month. That's bloody insane.

Well first it depends if one has more older games or recent games they want to play than the other, and mayb buy either game for that.

Then we have to realize that we dont know what QB is or how it will launch outside to conference demos that really dont show anything but special effects. QB is a wild card for now. So we really cant be too sure, maybe it will be a hit, maybe it will sell like The Order. who knows.

Elandyll

Banned
Let make this simple

Your more recent post said this:

... and I said there was a chance for them to win the first 6 months of the year.

Which is what I was referencing to.

As per winning QB month, as pointed out, it's also Uncharted 4 month. So ... yeah.

Aside from very popular and well known franchises, price trumps everything.

The only month that MS would win in the US at this point is the month they would lower officially to $299 -if- Sony wasn't following by doing the same imo.
Which we all know they are ready to do so (perhaps even initiating the drop themselves actually, around PSVR release).

Do you realise that Quantum Break will release in the same month of Uncharted 4, right?

Ok, but what do we know about QB for us to even make a guesstimate about its perfomance, nothing. We have very little info on the game, we dont know how it will launch or how the advertising will be. We dont know if it along with some odler games will attract more guys over or if Uncharted 4 will.

For all we know it may be moved to June or 2228. I mean really, we have nothing on QB. Which MS is running out of time to fix, because if they wait to long there will be no anticipation.

Bgamer90

Banned
Dumb question: is it thinkable that Wii made more profit on hardware than WiiU on software for NIntendo ?
Maybe if you include Wiimotes, Balance Boards, Wheels, Crossbows etc.? (the extras they had... Amazing)

I would love to know how much money they made on hardware/accessories. 2008 and 2009 for the Wii was unbelievable.

Let make this simple

Highly doubt it will get April (Quantum Break month) since Uncharted 4 is releasing during the same month and I'm positive that Sony will make some special bundle for it.

I could see Xbox One getting maybe two months out of the year (depends on when they launch Gears of War 4) -- possibly more months depending on deals and/or a slim model.

Well first it depends if one has more older games or recent games they want to play than the other, and mayb buy either game for that.

Then we have to realize that we dont know what QB is or how it will launch outside to conference demos that really dont show anything but special effects. QB is a wild card for now. So we really cant be too sure, maybe it will be a hit, maybe it will sell like The Order. who knows.

And yet you say Xbone could outperform PS4 on the UC4 release month with a game like that. That is a borderline psychotic thought. :)

Just hope that QB will get postponed to Summer.

M.D

I'm gonna go ahead and say Quantom Break is going to sell 300K max, unless there's some extremely positive coverage from the press and some real hype builds up for it, which is not the cast right now.

And yet you say Xbone could outperform PS4 on the UC4 release month with a game like that. That is borderline psychotic.

You must be insane, because how is it psychotic to think there is a 5o,5o chance that a game we know nothing about could become big or become a flop.

Thats normally how this works. Could be big, could not. Thats why i said MAYBE and possibly.

SURGEdude

I'm more excited for QB than Uncharted but it's crazy to think it will even get close it in sales.

Highly doubt it will get April (Quantum Break month) since Uncharted 4 is releasing during the same month and I'm positive that Sony will make some special bundle for it.

I could see Xbox One getting maybe two months out of the year (depends on when they launch Gears of War 4) -- possibly more months depending on deals and/or a slim model.

One thing for certain Sony will market the hell out of UC4 .
It might be there biggest or second biggest game of the year .

As per winning QB month, as pointed out, it's also Uncharted 4 month. So ... yeah.

The only month that MS would win in the US at this point is the month they would lower officially to $299 -if- Sony wasn't following by doing the same imo.
Which we all know they are ready to do so (perhaps even initiating the drop themselves actually, around PSVR release).

I like how you edited out RECENT post, so didnt quote the original post that everyone was responding to that clearly said ONE of the first 6 months. interesting.

You must be insane, because how is it psychotic to think there is a 5o,5o chance that a game we know nothing about could become big or become a flop.

Thats normally how this works. Could be big, could not. Thats why i said MAYBE and possibly.

New IP with a lesser install base going against a well-known and loved franchise on a platform which leads 2:1 in sales. That is not even a distant possibility, that is basically just insanity. That is not a 5o,5o chance, not even a 7o,3o chance. More likely 8o to 2o in sales.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
idk its possible, just extremely unlikely, of course. it happened last april when mkx was the only notable release

In April 2015 XB1 got some insane promotions, like unofficial $175 pricedrop at GameStop or something like this ( i don't remember correctly).
So, unless this will happen again, i can't see XB1 wins.

You realize that that was because of crazy Best Buy deal on Xbone that month, right?

Or was it gamestop?

Gamestop.

Ok, but what do we know about QB for us to even make a guesstimate about its perfomance, nothing. We have very little info on the game, we dont know how it will launch or how the advertising will be. We dont know if it along with some odler games will attract more guys over or if Uncharted 4 will.

For all we know it may be moved to June or 2228. I mean really, we have nothing on QB. Which MS is running out of time to fix, because if they wait to long there will be no anticipation.

Wut?

You said that is LIKELY for XB1 wins at least one month, and then you talked about Quantum Break. Which is in the same month of Uncharted 4.
In others worlds, you said is likely for XB1 wins in the Uncharted 4 month.

We have no idea of how Quantum Break will be, but you think is likely for XB1 wins this month.

Ok...

I'm more excited for QB than Uncharted but it's crazy to think it will even get close it in sales.

I see a lot of you guys saying this, the issues is that agreeing with that is a little odd since we know NOTHING about the game outside its an AAA title and it will have a big budget. We know NOTHING else. Literally nothing about QB. nothing. So i have to give the 5o, 5o, chance.

Lemondish

Apparently you know enough to confidently suggest it will top Sony in U4 month.

UC3 sold 700k in the first month in the US and i expect UC4 to do even more .
Do you see QB doing those numbers ?

In April 2015 XB1 got some insane promotions, like unofficial $175 pricedrop at GameStop or something like this ( i don't remember correctly).
So, unless this will happen again, i can't see XB1 wins.

Wut?

You said that is LIKELY for XB1 wins at least one month, and then you talked about Quantum Break. Which is in the same month of Uncharted 4.
In others worlds, you said is likely for XB1 wins in the Uncharted 4 month.

We have no idea of how Quantum Break will be, but you think is likely for XB1 wins this month.

Ok...

No i said its likely it wins one of the 6 months of the year, and I said MANY times that QB month is its best, and recently, likely ONLY chance of that MAYBE happening. dont use absolute terms I never said.

Holy crap, is even vague statements that arent even really complimenting box cause guys to go crazy here. No one said it would win, I said its there likely only chance in the first half of the year. Dont think anyone will disagree with that, all other times it will be obvious the ps4s.

jayu26

I see a lot of you guys saying this, the issues is that agreeing with that is a little odd since we know NOTHING about the game outside its an AAA title and it will have a big budget. We know NOTHING else. Literally nothing about QB. nothing. So i have to give the 5o, 5o, chance.
Your argument is that a game we know nothing about three months before its release has a chance to outsell Uncharted? Step back and think on this mate.

SURGEdude

The fact that we know nothing about a game that launches in just a few months against Uncharted is why it's unlikely to be a massive runaway hit. And a massive hit is what it would have to be to overcome the install base and name recognition of UC4.

UC3 sold 700k in the first month in the US and i expect UC4 to do even more .
Do you see QB doing those numbers ?

I dont even know what the game offers, how can I answer that question.

I did the same with Uncharted Collection, and look what happened, i was right to give it the 5o, 5o, and guess what consoles won, the ps4.

This is no different. I dont know about the game, and until I do I cant really just assume Uncharted will win. Just like I cant assume Uncharted will lose.

The fact that we know nothing about a game that launches in just a few months against Uncharted is why it's unlikely to be a massive runaway hit. And a massive hit is what it would have to be to overcome the install base and name recognition of UC4.

Issues is that I had this same argument with the Uncharted Collection, and Gears Collection bundles, and guess which consoles won, ps4. There was doubt about the Uncharted bundle for a bit around the internet. Then they started revealing more things and look what happened.

Top Bottom