• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

J-Rzez

Not too bad numbers on KZ2, and it's going to clock in much more. Probably a little higher than I expected in those two days regardless. Word of mouth especially, along with the added sales days will definitely put out some good numbers. Sony needs a price cut to spur systems off the shelf, especially in this economy woes. Is it going to be console profitablity, or is it smarter to get more consoles out there for potential royalties, that's what they're discussing I'm sure.

SF4 really didn't do as well as I expected actually. I actually thought even in that time it would've broken the 1 million mark easily.

360 is doing well. The HD market is pretty healthy which is very nice to see, devs are probably happy that they can continue to put big support into that segment. It'll take both machines a big drop in sales to get them to shift their top shelf support off them.

We don't have any numbers for KZ2 in other parts of the world yet no?

itxaka

Defeatist
Eric WK said:
It's been three weeks.

Goddamn it, I win then.

So bad they are both banned already:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218431&page=4

itxaka said:
what about that "Killzone selling 1 million units on week one" bet? are up for it?

kbear said:
Sure, how much? Do you have Paypal? I'll put 10 bucks on it at 1.5:1 odds meaning if I win, I get 15, if you win, you get 10.

wollan said:
I'm up for this bet (I'm sure we're all so eager to keep track).

Smokey

MWS Natural said:
SavethePS3.jpg

:lol :lol

Seeing Street Fighter IV's sales just proved that the series didn't need to die, it just needed to go away for a long while. I wonder if other game series that faded away due to release whoring will follow this down the line.

MoogPaul said:
I love it. These threads are the best. Going around, reading how these's no hype for Killzone with this at the top:

ejelw5.gif

I know this is a little off-topic, but speaking of attention getting gifs.

vimax.jpg

vimax2.jpg

...Seriously...I mean really.

Blame!

:lol apparently gaf needs to pay bills.

and yeah, ads in the same thread include a huge and obnoxious killzone 2 animated ad.

this is why ps3 games don't sell. they're preaching to the choir.

Nocebo

Apparently people don't buy consoles in anticipation of a game anymore. That's what people used to say at least. :lol
It is rather shocking to see the PS3's performance hardware wise when compared to the other systems. -2%? vs increases of over 50% yoy. What are PS3s numbers from march 2008?

Wii's February number (753K) is actually higher than its January+February from 2008 (706K) and just shy of its January+February number from 2007 (771K). Its January+February total for 2009 (1.43 M) is better than its January+February+March number from 2008 (1.43 M, but a slightly smaller one) or its January+February+March+April number from 2007 (1.39 M).

20090320npdwii.png

System: Average weeks ownership (Average purchase date)

Wii: 47.9 (March 30, 2008)
PS3: 54.0 (February 17, 2008)
X360: 75.5 (September 19, 2007)
Mejilan said:
Ahh, this explains the 500s. Whatever DID happen with the server upgrade?
It's like Wii. Frequent supply increases have yet to prevent shortages during peak times.
m3k said:
what... didnt the ds beat wii last month... considerably?
By about -170K. DS did beat Wii significantly in December, though.
dkeane said:
DS is just insane. I can't wait to see what the DSI does, will they be counted as different skus on NPD?
Internally, yeah, they'll track them separately. They'll probably report them as a lump, though. Hell, anyone remember in the early DS days, when for a while they were reporting the sum of GBA+DS?
Raist said:
So a LOT of people were expecting 200-250k sales, and now 320k is a failure?

wtf
It could be that they were expecting a super-failure.
Nocebo said:
What are PS3s numbers from march 2008?

Linkup

TChirath said:
If I were one of Nintendo suits, I wouldn't even bother investing in another Zelda or high-budget titles until the next system.

Thank goodness you aren't since said games still make a fat profit and many gamers enjoy them. Nintendo sells several million copies of Brawl, SMG, and Zelda later only to have someone question why they would not want to continue to make those profits? What, does Nintendo suddenly hate money? I'll never understand said statement.

farnham

Banned
the funny thing is

we usually got 1 iteration or maybe 2 iterations of each major franchise each gen (NES is kind of an exception because that thing was nintendos main console for like 7 years)

back at the gamecube days people were like.."nintendo only makes metroid, zelda and mario"

now on the wii nintendo already delivered excellent games of each franchise (twilight princess, galaxy, corruption, brawl, mario kart wii etc) and now we are bitching why they are NOT relying on metroid, zelda and mario as heavily as before..?

PSGames

farnham said:
the funny thing is

we usually got 1 iteration or maybe 2 iterations of each major franchise each gen (NES is kind of an exception because that thing was nintendos main console for like 7 years)

back at the gamecube days people were like.."nintendo only makes metroid, zelda and mario"

now on the wii nintendo already delivered excellent games of each franchise (twilight princess, galaxy, corruption, brawl, mario kart wii etc) and now we are bitching why they are NOT relying on metroid, zelda and mario as heavily as before..?

Twilight princess is not a Wii Zelda. Sorry.

duk said:
No marketing for KZ2???

People forget E3 2005 or what? It all started 3 years ago.

I've seen tons of commercials for KillZone 2. Hell there's a banner for it right now in this thread. :lol

Nocebo

JoshuaJSlone said:
Thanks. PS3 went down about 30k units in march 2008 even though it's a longer month? Or was february 2008 a spike?
If the yoy decreases hold up it's going to look pretty bad for PS3 especially in the face of KZ2.

PSGames

AniHawk said:
So is No More Heroes a PS2 game because it started on the PS2? Was Eternal Darkness a N64 game?

Were these games released on those platforms? If they were I would answer yes to your question. Wii Twilight and GC Twilight have no differences accept tacked on motion controls. The game was not designed around the Wii.

DeeVoc

Neo Member
b-b-b-but what about all those gaffers who got friends/coworkers to buy ps3s after showing them how amazing kz2 was?

It's gets clearer and clearer every month that Sony is pushing a product with a mindset that flies in the face of what most people are dealing with financially.

AniHawk

PSGames said:
Were these games released on those platforms? If they were I would answer yes to your question. Wii Twilight and GC Twilight have no differences accept tacked on motion controls. The game was not designed around the Wii.

So if the Gamecube version of TP never came out, and TP for the Wii was exactly how it is now, you'd consider it a Wii game? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You should probably stick to your original guns and just call No More Heroes (as we know it) a PS2 game.

PSGames

AniHawk said:
So if the Gamecube version of TP never came out, and TP for the Wii was exactly how it is now, you'd consider it a Wii game? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You should probably stick to your original guns and just call No More Heroes (as we know it) a PS2 game.

Yes I would consider it a Wii game because I'd have nothing to compare it to. Same with No More Heroes. But since we do have a GC version to compare it to it's quite obvious what system the game was designed for. And we all know the history (how they delayed the game so they could use it to help Wii's launch).

farnham

Banned
PSGames said:
wii twilight also had IR aiming

which is the bigger change the motion controls ..
PSGames said:
Yes I would consider it a Wii game because I'd have nothing to compare it to. Same with No More Heroes. But since we do have a GC version to compare it to it's quite obvious what system the game was designed for.

but isnt the wii basically a modified gamecube..? (in terms of technology)

duk said:
No marketing for KZ2???

People forget E3 2005 or what? It all started 3 years ago.
Well, putting it in front of people actively looking for the latest from trade shows isn't marketing's hardest task.
Nocebo said:
Thanks. PS3 went down about 30k units in march 2008 even though it's a longer month? Or was february 2008 a spike?
It seems like even with March being a week longer, sales are pretty flat overall. Here are the February->March percentage changes for the current six major systems in the last two years.

Wii: -23%
DS: +5%
PS2: -5%
PS3: +2%
PSP: +2%
X360: -12%

Wii: +67%
DS: +19%
PS2: -39%
PS3: -8%
PSP: +22%
X360: +3%

Wii has some pretty wild fluctuations, but it's safe to take that as a supply thing.

Nocebo

JoshuaJSlone said:
It seems like even with March being a week longer, sales are pretty flat overall. Here are the February->March percentage changes for the current six major systems in the last two years.

Wii: -23%
DS: +5%
PS2: -5%
PS3: +2%
PSP: +2%
X360: -12%

Wii: +67%
DS: +19%
PS2: -39%
PS3: -8%
PSP: +22%
X360: +3%

Wii has some pretty wild fluctuations, but it's safe to take that as a supply thing.
Interesting stuff.
Any ideas on why the numbers seem so flat? Have there been major game releases in feb in any of those years? March NPD is going to be fun.

TheOddOne

NPD US Analysis: PS3 Standing Strong Despite Price

http://ps3thevolution.com/2009/03/20/npd-ps3-standing-strong-despite-price/

Well the NPD verdict is out and yet again the Playstation 3 manages to not only remain popular in the US, it also demonstrates that despite it’s current price point, US gamers are certainly enjoying it’s software offerings as well.

Based soley on a US February analysis, NPD has reported that the Playstation 3 has generated 276,000 console sales while generating 403,000 sold copies of Street Fighter 4 and 323,000 copies sold of KILLZONE 2 which we might add was on the market for only 2 days in Feb. Very impressive indeed!

Eventhough console sales represent a year-on-year drop for Sony, this rather small decrease is based only on four thousand units. What is important to note is; while the Playstation 3 has ran this marathon currently in third place, there has not been any major signs of distancing from it’s nearest competitor. Priced $200 more than the Xbox 360, the Playstation 3 has remained on heels of the competitor throughout and has refused to give up too much ground in this console race. Though some have stated that Microsoft’s Xbox 360 will remain dominate, it appears to be quite obvious that Microsoft’s Xbox 360 is holding on to it’s current marketshare by a very thin thread. As reported by NPD, Microsoft’s Xbox 360 reported 391,000 consoles sold in February. At a glance one might speculate that this is doom and gloom for the Playstation 3, but quite the contrary. In console sales, hardware pricing is everything yet despite the higher reported consoles sold by the Xbox 360, Sony’s Playstation 3 is seriously tugging at the marketshare.

On the software front again Sony’s Playstation 3 is flexing it’s muscle. One only has to look at the software sales of KILLZONE 2 and Street Fighter 4 to see the Playstation 3 influence. NPD’s US February figures for KILLZONE 2 and Street Fighter 4 across both platforms;
KILLZONE 2 (PS3) - 323,000 (2 day figures)
STREET FIGHTER IV (360) - 446,000
STREET FIGHTER IV (PS3) - 403, 000

By looking at these numbers for February it is clear the Playstation 3 is pushing major software. KILLZONE 2, which launched Feb 27th saw impressive numbers in only two days for the month of February. Nevertheless, Street Fighter 4 sales on the Playstation 3 almost mirrors the competition. Again, very impressive despite it’s current market position.

More recently many developers have been asking for Sony to drop their current price of the Playstation 3 in order to drive console sales and eventually software sales. While this does seem like a very likely scenario it appears Sony is methodically waiting for the right time and that time doesn’t look good for the competition.
:lol

DMeisterJ

Banned
KZ2s real day of reckoning is gong to be in three weeks. If KZ2 manages to sell another 300k or manage better given the longer time on the charts, lots of people in this thread will be vindicated...

Whatever the case, March NPD will be epic.

Leonsito

itxaka said:
Yours is fucked up,Want me to host it? I miss the lion :p

Yeah, it seems that I wasted 25 GB of traffic in 13 days, curse you neogaf!

I'm trying to upload the avatar to my isp ftp, thanks ;D

joey_z

Banned
phez said:
SF4 did a little over 400,000 for 11 days; KZ2 is running at 323,000 for two days. I'm not sure how some of you think it'll bomba? :|

SFIV didn't cost more than the most expensive Dutch film. I really don't understand how Killzone 2 cost around $20 million. It's a gorgeous looking game, but there are probably projects in the pipeline already that match it on the PS3 (on a smaller budget) and if that MS statement is to be believed (did it turn out to be a real statement?) then E3 should show off some pretty impressive 360 games as well.

farnham

Banned
PSGames said:
Twilight princess is not a Wii Zelda. Sorry.

you can play twilight princess on wii and its printed big on the twilight princess package so its a wii zelda.. and isnt it nintendo that determines what platform they like zelda to be on.. not you..?

Here's the old Surfer Girl rumour in regards to Killzone 2:
Remember this story? That figure was actually 21 million (US 30 million) and it has only gone up from there (by gone up i mean it has doubled to 42 million/US 60 million). By the time Killzone 2 comes out it will dethrone Shenmue as the most expensive video game ever made.

The game should have cost the former figure but Guerrilla's managerial lacks any sort of financial or work allocation skills, the studio has high turnover and a few other things.

Because of this incapacity a nice portion of the team at Studio Cambridge is assisting in development. To top this off the game may be pretty but it's barely mediocre and past the point of no return. The September release date floating around will without doubt be missed if Guerrilla sticks to their intention of not releasing the game until its done which will be early next year.
The "barely mediocre" bit was clearly wrong.

kmfdmpig

Joe211 said:
Edit: The problem is that sales are not in a vacuum. We already know that the 360's sales are heading in a positive direction (YOY growth) and at least for now the PS3's are not. I think if the price were to drop $100, which doesn't seem likely anytime soon, then they might regain some momentum, but at this point:
The 360's lead week by week in the US has been equal to or slightly higher than the PS3's growing lead in Japan. Europe is a complete unknown.

Ultimately it doesn't matter much if PS3 is catching up by 1 few thousand or even 20-30k per month as neither consumers nor developers will sync the launch times in their mind when making decisions. It's also unlikely that when next gen systems come out PS3 will wait another two years before introducing a new system. Unless sales really pick up, which for PS3, which seems unlikely, it seems like the last few years of the "10 year cycle" will be pretty sparse.

Gaborn said:
LBP had HUGE hype from Sony for years, it sold ok but NOTHING like they were suggesting it could.

For years? The game was revealed at GDC07 and released at the end of 2008.

w3stfa11 said:
Rough estimate on the cost of Killzone 2.

In 2006, it was expected to be over $21 million.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6162365.html

Surfer Girl, the halfway decent rumor blog (now defunct), wrote that its cost had ballooned up to $60 million.
http://web.archive.org/web/20080201.../01/disaster-you-guerrillas-have-created.html

Considering the long development time and countless delays, I don't think it's unreasonable to think the price tag for Killzone 2 is over $50 million.

Surfergirl, really?

Also which "countless delays" are you talking about, the only announced release date was Feb09.

Anyways, great sales for SFIV, decent for Killzone 2.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Joe211 said:
Again... In that graph you'll see the difference between both has increased from 5 millions to 7 millions.

In terms of momentum, in the last year both consoles have sold 10 millions (the 360 more because of this month).

So if you are trying to prove something, it is that: The PS3 is not catching up with anything.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
As far as people saying, "how could you say KZ2 had no hype? I'm seeing a lot of commercials!" They've ramped up the advertising considerably after launch, but before launch and during those two days, it wasn't near as much.

Top Bottom