• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

GavinGT

Banned
Why would The Lost and the Damned, an expansion pack, push 360 sales? People aren't lining up to by an expansion AND the original game....if they were that excited about it they'd already have GTAIV and a 360. That said, how did they manage 400,000???

markot

Banned
Its great to see NSMB up there... But wheres the sequel?! I want a full 2d mario platformer with great sprites and awesome gameplay >.<!

donny2112

GavinGT said:
Why would The Lost and the Damned, an expansion pack, push 360 sales?

Those who originally bought the PS3 version thinking they wouldn't care about the expansion pack decided that the expansion was worth it and picked up a 360 along with it.

Gaborn said:
Speculation: a lot of people wanted to see the numbers without actually posting?

GAF is the nexus point for the distribution of public NPD data to non-press sites on the interwebs.

I don't visit these threads much so I might be beating a year long dead horse but these NPD numbers just dont surprise me anymore. The 360 will keep doing good from here on out, the Wii and DS will keep causing people to make hilarious "we print money" gifs, and the PS3 will keep chugging along as the little engine that could.... not quite make it. Its kinda sad the PS3 is in this shape, its a sexy powerful beast.

Gaborn said:
Speculation: a lot of people wanted to see the numbers without actually posting?

I think your on to something Gaborn.....

Gaborn

donny2112 said:
GAF is the nexus point for the distribution of public NPD data to non-press sites on the interwebs.

Ahhhh, so it was a rhetorical question. I should've known. I should get some sleep anyway. :lol :lol
but I know I'm going to post one more thread anyway first

BishopLamont said:
There is no chance KZ2 will make top 10 in March.

Although I do think that most people who were wanting to get KZ2 already purchased it, I still think it will chart because other than Halo Wars and a couple other games, it has been a relatively dull month for new releases, so it may crawl onto the charts with low sales.

donny2112

BishopLamont said:

So you don't think that it can sell, in days 3-37, a similar amount that it did in days 1-2? Why does that make no sense to me?

Gaborn said:
Ahhhh, so it was a rhetorical question.

No. I was really wondering. I sort of threw that out there as a statement of fact that could explain what you were saying. GAF was the nexus of NPD data before the ban, and it remains the nexus following, as well. :/

BishopLamont said:
Why are you so sure? I mean, your statement isn't completely implausible, but exactly what ten games do you expect to sell better? RE 5 x2, Halo Wars, Pokemon, GTA: CW, Wii Fit/Play/Kart, and. . . ?

Gaborn

donny2112 said:
No. I was really wondering. I sort of threw that out there as a statement of fact that could explain what you were saying. GAF was the nexus of NPD data before the ban, and it remains the nexus following, as well. :/

Yup, I mean... I think it really is two things. GAF is a primary source of free NPD data that is known to be reliable as you suggested, and a lot of people that look at the data but don't really want to comment on the numbers, probably because their system of choice didn't perform well or a system they don't like DID perform unusually well.

Chrange

Banned
Liabe Brave said:
Why are you so sure? I mean, your statement isn't completely implausible, but exactly what ten games do you expect to sell better? RE 5 x2, Halo Wars, Pokemon, GTA: CW, Wii Fit/Play/Kart, and. . . ?

I think Killzone will chart again, but I could see Call of Duty getting a bounce from the map pack that just released and there's always the chance that MadWorld might hit it big with Wii gamers.

donny2112

Liabe Brave said:
RE 5 x2, Halo Wars, Pokemon, GTA: CW, Wii Fit/Play/Kart, and. . . ?

360 CoD:WaW, NDS NSMB, NDS Mario Kart

I'm still not sure why people think the game only has two good days of sales in it. This isn't like it sold for the whole month, did 323K, and therefore could reasonably be expected to significantly drop in month 2. This is days 1-2 versus days 3-37. o_O

donny2112 said:
So you don't think that it can sell, in days 3-37, a similar amount that it did in days 1-2? Why does that make no sense to me?

i joined this website because it was basically the only public source of NPD data. Of course other banned websites would basically post NPD numbers by posting GAF NPD threads. So I figured why not join the site that has the original source?

markatisu

donny2112 said:

I'm still not sure why people think the game only has two good days of sales in it. This isn't like it sold for the whole month, did 323K, and therefore could reasonably be expected to significantly drop in month 2. This is days 1-2 versus days 3-37. o_O

You forgot GHWT (which just so happens to round out this months Top 10), Amazon has been pushing it pretty hard and Best Buy is expected to have it on sale in preparation for Easter

donny2112

Is anyone else getting a lot of slow connection/500 errors recently? Maybe that's why the NPD thread is slow. No one can get to it. :lol

Banned
Slurmer said:
I've never seen anyone on here say that KZ2 was going to push Sony back to the top or anything of the sort.

KZ2 itself was hyped, and people thought the game would sell better than it did, but nothing that would really warrant some of the comments in this thread

Are you sure it wasn`t over hyped? Just a little bit.

Nib95 said:
I think it's just for Europe, since both Amazon (US) and Gamestop have both confirmed they've had over 1 million pre-orders for the game each. Which means the game could be sitting on at least 3.1 million pre-orders worldwide, and that's before the advertising has even kicked in. It's certainly looking very promising for the game indeed.

Teetris said:
Exactly, should easily beat MGS4 considering it's an FPS and MGS4 was mostly dependent on it's fanbase.

Raist said:
What ? It should easily beat MGS4. No doubt about this.
I'd say 7M worldwide LTD.

bizatch said:
Just showed this game to 2 buddies of mine. Long story short, they're both getting ps3 because of it.
This is sony's halo, for sure. Maybe not in terms of gameplay, but definitely in terms of selling power.

Salami Inferno said:
And its ALWAYS wait until X PS3 game comes out next month. Allow me to predict the future...

Killzone will sell a ton of copies, somewhere close to a million units. The PS3 will come close to, or maybe even surpass, wii numbers for february. Everyone will say the numbers were great but not terribly high because feb is a short month and we should all wait for the huge bump in march. March numbers will come and ps3 sales will flatten out again and kz will be in the middle of the top 10. Meltdown, meltdown, meltdown...just wait until GOW3.

Gadfly said:
IMO KZ2 sales will be frontloaded and mostly to people who already own PS3. but it will be huge.

I'd say for February alone something around 800K-1.2m in US is not out of reach.

markatisu

Some LTD's (gathered from past NPD's)

GHWT Wii ~1.8m (1.799m to be exact)
CoD WaW 360 ~3.17m (3.168m to be exact)
Mario Kart Wii ~ 5.55m
Wii Fit ~ 5.95m

donny2112 said:
It could, but that doesn't guarantee it a spot in top 10.

Liabe Brave said:
See thats what I'm talking about, those games are going to take up so many spots that KZ2 will be squeezed out, unless your CoD (and that's with the luxury being in holiday months), PS3 games just don't reappear in the top 10.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Awesome. :lol
Although, to be fair I did underestimate the game a bit. It did just make it into the top 5, after all.

In any case, let's see some more software numbers! top 20 at least. Or can we just get some info on House of the Dead...?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Liabe Brave said:
Guitar Hero: Metallica

Nocebo

BishopLamont said:
It could, but that doesn't guarantee it a spot in top 10.

See thats what I'm talking about, those games are going to take up so many spots that KZ2 will be squeezed out, unless your CoD (and that's with the luxury being in holiday months), PS3 games just don't reappear in the top 10.
But they don't take up 10 spots. I think that's his point. The And...? is a question of which other games could squeeze out KZ2.
Link said:
Guitar Hero: Metallica
Still room for KZ2 unless I suck at counting.

Nocebo said:
But they don't take up 10 spots. I think that's his point. The And...? is a question of which other games could squeeze out KZ2.
There are many potential games that could.

donny2112 said:

Precedents donny. Many games chart for two days and disappear the next month. Hardcore games drop, it's not abnormal. So what if it's a FPS, Resistance 2 was as well. Who cares if it's exclusive, MGS4 was too. I don't know why KZ2 is exempted from these conditions.

Yes Boss!

Just thinking aloud here...but do you think perhaps the Madcatz peripheral situation helped the SFIV PS3 sales? Like, perhaps there were a lot of multi-console users who could only find PS3 fightpads and fightsticks so opted for that version?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Liabe Brave said:
You just named 8 out of 10 slots right there, though honestly I don't know how well GTA: CW will do.

Besides the eight you just named, the following games could very easily end up in the top 10:
Call of Duty: World at War for 360
Street Fighter 4 again for 360 and/or PS3
Guitar Hero: World Tour for Wii
and depending on DS sales Mario Kart DS and New Super Mario Bros. again.

markatisu

Nocebo said:
Still room for KZ2 unless I suck at counting.

You suck at counting, these are the games that could keep KZ2 from the Top 10

Wii Fit
Wii Play
Mario Kart Wii
RE5 360
RE5 PS3
360 CoD:WaW
NDS NSMB
NDS Mario Kart
GHWT Wii
GHWT Metallica (360 and Wii)
Halo Wars
Pokemon
GTA:CW

That is 13 titles, the two lowest would probably be CoD WaW 360 and GHWT Wii but that still leaves 11 potential titles that have a bigger shot at making the Top 10, not to mention any legs on the two SFIV entries

Nocebo

Link said:
Depends on how many versions you expect to make the Top 10.
Good point. I guess I only counted the Wii version.

Though I have to wonder. Are people really suggesting KZ2 will do sub 200k, even sub 140k numbers? Or maybe they expect these games to sell significantly more next month?
Wii Mario Kart with wheel (WII) 263K
Call of Duty: World at War* (360) 193K
Mario Kart DS (NDS) 145K
New Super Mario Bros (NDS) 144K
I'd expect a new fairly high profile game like Killzone 2 to have a higher probability of increasing its sales when it gets a full months worth of sales. I'm all for hypelings eating massive amounts of crow too though, but eh.

markatisu

Flying_Phoenix said:
Madworld.

Believe.

That would be sweet, but more realistic would be in the Top 20 because of the debut of Pokemon, RE5 on two platforms as well as a rhythm game whose sales home is now on the Wii.

What do we set the bar for Madworld at? RE4 Wii came in at about 150k in June of 07 NPD and NMH came in at around 65k in Jan of 08 NPD

MadWorld was pushed harder than either of those two, personally I think it will fall in between the 70-100k range for its first month

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so happy a game like SFIV is managing to get such great numbers.

KZ2 could have and should have done more. I blame sloppy marketing. Next month it is going to be crushed by the behemoth that is RE5, and possibly even Halo Wars.

I hope the game has legs, it is a great shooter (if a little bit unmemorable).

Link

The Autumn Wind
markatisu said:
That would be sweet, but more realistic would be in the Top 20 because of the debut of Pokemon, RE5 on two platforms as well as a rhythm game whose sales home is now on the Wii.

What do we set the bar for Madworld at? RE4 Wii came in at about 150k in June of 07 NPD and NMH came in at around 65k in Jan of 08 NPD

MadWorld was pushed harder than either of those two, personally I think it will fall in between the 70-100k range for its first month
While they are running commercials for the game, the ad they have doesn't do the game any justice. They show zero blood, which means they don't show any cool moves you can do.

Evlar

Banned
Yes Boss! said:
Just thinking aloud here...but do you think perhaps the Madcatz peripheral situation helped the SFIV PS3 sales? Like, perhaps there were a lot of multi-console users who could only find PS3 fightpads and fightsticks so opted for that version?
Possibly. And it hurts MS that their stock controller is recognized as the worst for any game requiring precise D-Pad input- anyone who was familiar with D-Pad issues from past fighters (HD Remix) would probably prefer the PS3 version if no sticks or fightpads were available.

I'm glad to see the SFIV numbers for both platforms. That's very respectable.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Games that will absolutely be in the Top Ten for March:

Pokemon Platinum (Will be number one as well)
RE 5 360
RE 5 PS3
Wii Fit
Wii Play
Halo Wars

That's more than half the list right there.

KZ2 will have to compete with seriously:

Mario Kart Wii
CoD:WaW (360)

That's eight games, not including other holiday holdovers and GTA:Chinatown.

I think KZ2 has a decent shot at 9th or 10th, maybe as high as 8th or even 7th.

I also wouldn't be totally shocked if it completely missed out.

Link said:
While they are running commercials for the game, the ad they have doesn't do the game any justice. They show zero blood, which means they don't show any cool moves you can do.

Because showing people being decapitated and being ripped apart by pliers with blood covering the screen is a-okay for TV programming.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
GavinGT said:
Why would The Lost and the Damned, an expansion pack, push 360 sales? People aren't lining up to by an expansion AND the original game....if they were that excited about it they'd already have GTAIV and a 360. That said, how did they manage 400,000???
The entire industry was up M-o-M (or whatever change NPD made is bad). Total hardware was up over 13%; Wii +11%; DS +15%; PS2 +30%; PSP +16%; 360 +27%; PS3 +36%.

It gained only 9,000 more units than the PS3 did and 40,000 more than what it would have done if just kept pace with the rest of the industry. Is that really a lot considering those two releases and the building hype for Halo Wars (3 days later) and Resident Evil 5 (13 days later)?

MoogPaul

I love it. These threads are the best. Going around, reading how these's no hype for Killzone with this at the top:

ejelw5.gif

phez

Banned
SF4 did a little over 400,000 for 11 days; KZ2 is running at 323,000 for two days. I'm not sure how some of you think it'll bomba? :|

HylianTom

Banned
MoogPaul said:
I love it. These threads are the best. Going around, reading how these's no hype for Killzone with this at the top:

I need to allow an exception on AdBlocker for NeoGAF so that I can catch these little gems. And for gay chubby dating laughs..

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
phez said:
SF4 did a little over 400,000 for 11 days; KZ2 is running at 323,000 for two days. I'm not sure how some of you think it'll bomba? :|
SFIV did 850k over those 11 days.

Not that I'm saying KZ2 is a bomb or anything (323k is a pretty good haul for the time it was out, but I have my doubts about its staying power). Just making sure our numbers are straight.

Eric WK

MoogPaul said:

I'm not sure how an advertisement is evidence of hype, but either way, Killzone will be in March's Top 10. The only things I can see edging it out (after the seven or eight givens) would be baseball titles, but that's fairly unlikely.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Rice-Eater said:
Well obviously it'd only be fair to compare it to the PS3 version as they share the same number of potential buyers.
Why? You think not one of the 450k people who bought it for the 360 would have bought it for the PS3 if a 360 version wasn't released?

SFIV has a high crossover audience. Arbitrarily ignoring the majority of the people who bought the game just doesn't make any sense.

Neo C.

Why are people still suggesting a price drop when it comes to PS3? Sony fired an insane number of their employees and perhaps needs money from the government when things keep getting worse. I'm not sure how Sony can justify a price drop in the near future.

KZ2 was in that PS3 bundle at Best Buy, wasn't it? It should be able to get above 150k.

Of course, everyone is also ignoring the spike NSMB and Kart DS will get if DS sales increase from Pokemon/GTA.

Evlar

Banned
Rice-Eater said:
Well obviously it'd only be fair to compare it to the PS3 version as they share the same number of potential buyers.
I don't believe every single person who owned a PS3 and wanted SFIV bought the PS3 version. In other words, there are some sales of the 360 version of SFIV (I would guess well above 100,000) to people who also own PS3s.

Top Bottom