• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

markatisu

EDarkness said:
Lightgun games don't light up the charts. I don't know why people were expecting Overkill to do all that well. Maybe this will convince EA that Deadspace shooter isn't a good idea.

They dont light up the charts but they do tend to consistently sell ~500k LTD when all is said and done (REUC, NERF, and Links Crossbow are all examples of 500k+ LTD)

If am not mistaken that would be equal to or greater than Dead Space did individually on either HD console, so it would be beneficial to EA to stay the course.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Killzone's sales for the month aren't the real story. 300-400k, whatever. The REAL story is that PS3 sales dropped YoY. The game failed to push console sales. Hell, besides SFIV (which I don't really think is a game that pushes new console sales) the 360 didn't even have a big release during the month and it posted impressive YoY growth.

The reviews of the game were early Feb. Advertising came mid Feb on TV, bus stations, etc. There was a month of lead time for this stuff to penetrate the masses. But the reviews and hype didn't translate into console sales. The reviews and advertising didn't convince anyone to rush out and buy a PS3. Maybe this will change next month. Maybe seeing the game actually played at a friend's house or whatever will change minds. Hopefully Sony now realizes that no matter how good the game is, no software release is going to end the PS3's recent terrifying slide. Only a price cut will do it.

Random thoughts:

Ouch @ KZ2 sales. I know it was released late in the month, but I'm not holding my breath. We always say this (Metroid Prime 3, LittlebigPlanet, etc) whenever a big title that released late underperforms and it never ends up redeeming itself. KZ2 won't chart next month, mark my words.

WTH is up with the 360 sales? Was there a price drop or key exclusive I wasn't aware of? Good news for MS as well.

PS3 is down YOY and particularly behind MS with their excellent month, but they're still doing well enough. Anything above 250k for a month is pretty solid so far as I'm concerned. Remember back when the PS3 was doing sub-100k months and the 360 wasn't breaking 200k? They've both come a long way.

What's wityh the SFIV attach rates? I think some of it might be explained by the fact that the PS3 controller is better for fighters than the 360. Probably a small number of 360 owners decided not to get the game because they'd been told they needed a stick to make it work on the 360, and a very large proportion of PS360 owners deciding to get it on PS3 where they'd usually buy multiplat games on the 360. Is this proof that there's more overlap in the 360 and Ps3 install base among the hardcore than we had initially thought?

SuperBonk said:
Games that are almost certain to beat KZ2 in March NPD:
Wii Fit
RE5 (360)
Pokemon

Games with a high probability of beating it:
Halo Wars
RE5 (PS3)
Wii Play

Games with a chance of beating it:
GTA Chinatown Wars
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Kart DS
various other Wii and DS games

I'm almost certain KZ2 will appear in the top 10 next month, though it will not be in the top 5. So anyway, I think it's a safe bet on your part.

Guitar Hero: Metallica comes out in March as well. Legends Of Wrestlemania might also chart.

RSTEIN said:
Killzone's sales for the month aren't the real story. 300-400k, whatever. The REAL story is that PS3 sales dropped YoY. The game failed to push console sales

To be fair the yoy drop this month was only 1.7 percent. The last three months it had been a lot worse. So perhaps it did push some consoles. The problem is that it didn't push enough to improve the ps3 from its relatively sluggish pace.

Or to fulfill this bit of Sony marketing hype.

SCEA VP of Product Marketing said:
"Starting with Killzone 2, we're going to arrest the momentum from competitors with titles like MLB 09: The Show, which some are calling the best sports title ever made," Steinberg told GameDaily.
Speaking of Killzone 2, Steinberg is feeling pretty good about the recent exclusive. So good, in fact, that he said, "It's an exclamation point that demonstrates the distance between the PS3 and other systems. The game is 40 gigs and could not be done on anything else. It will move people from the sidelines, and from what we've seen from blogs, will push 360 owners to try out the PS3. I think it's going to be a major launch for us and this historical PlayStation brand."

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Neither the PS3 or the 360 saw significant spikes this month, so a game doesn't need to be a system seller to do well, negating the ZOMG PS3 AM $400 argument.

Food for thought: What if the month over month increases for 360 and PS3 are due to GTA: L&D and KZ2, respectively?

What if this is as good as it gets? :D

Compared to the absurd pedestal that KZ2 was being placed on as little as 2 months ago, I'd say 350k is a bit underwhelming. There was a significant swath of people who believed it was going to be Sony's answer to Gears of War, if not Halo 3.

The sales are more comparable to Rainbow Six Vegas, Army of 2, or Bioshock.

And I'd wager that KZ (and Resistance's) biggest competition doesn't come from MS' exclusives, but from the millions of PS3 owners who own COD4 and COD: WaW. For some reason those are the only FPS games resonating with North American PS3 owners, they don't seem overwhelming desperate to dive into anything else headfirst.

Zen

Banned
RSTEIN said:
Killzone's sales for the month aren't the real story. 300-400k, whatever. The REAL story is that PS3 sales dropped YoY. The game failed to push console sales. Hell, besides SFIV (which I don't really think is a game that pushes new console sales) the 360 didn't even have a big release during the month and it posted impressive YoY growth.

I'd argue that it offset what would have otherwise been a YOY decline on par with the YOY decline it had last month. Sales were up month over month. It had a positive impact on sales and pushed hardware imo.

RSTEIN

Stoney Mason said:
To be fair the yoy drop this month was only 1.7 percent. The last three months it had been a lot worse. So perhaps it did push some consoles. The problem is that it didn't push enough to improve the ps3 from it's relatively sluggish pace.

Good point. The decline has slowed, and that's definitely a good thing. But relative to the 360's gains - when it didn't even have a big exclusive released during the month - it's pretty bad.

Mindlog

Stoney Mason said:
To be fair the yoy drop this month was only 1.7 percent. The last three months it had been a lot worse. So perhaps it did push some consoles. The problem is that it didn't push enough to improve the ps3 from it's relatively sluggish pace.

Has anyone impartially discussed the possibility that KZ2 did have a positive impact on hardware sales?

and before I hit reply the topic is approached :]

I'd like to offer a happy middle ground between "Killzone is the most hyped game in history" and "Nobody including me has ever heard of Killzone".

Obviously Killzone had plenty of hype around here. It prompted a mass overhaul of avatars, joining the ranks of super-franchises like Mario and Metal Gear. I think it might've caused Edge Magazine to hire extra security when they received death threats for scoring it too low, as well as a couple of near-suicides here on GAF. That's hype.

But I'm sure it had very little exposure out in the real world. Ask your nearest Wii Fit owner if they've heard of it. I expect not.

So it did 300k. That's about what RE4 did when it launched (in January). Not bad. I'd have said that's nothing to scream about, whether you're screaming because you think it was good or bad. Clearly I'd have been wrong, because people are indeed screaming.

Enough about that. I want to know how badly Deadly Creatures bombed. :-(

HylianTom

Banned
I know what caused the Wii's YoY increase: the releases of Bikini Zombie Slayers, Disney Sing It: High School Musical 3: Senior Year, and NASCAR Kart Racing.

The combined demographics of bloodthirsty sex fiends, kiddie gamers, and rednecks provided the boost it needed to obtain such stellar levels.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
BigBlackGamer said:
Guitar Hero: Metallica comes out in March as well. Legends Of Wrestlemania might also chart.
I'd say for sure, Wii Play, Wiifit, and Wii Mario Kart will beat it. Those just keep on ticking.
Both RE's will definitely overcome it also. Halo Wars most likely also if not for the fact people don't know its an RTS :lol I could also see GTA CTW and GTHero(Wii and 360 version, possible PS3, PS2 seems to becoming out in April) beating it also.

This is probably one of the most interesting ban bets I've seen. It may squeak in at a low 9 or 10 spot. :lol

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Food for thought: What if the month over month increases for 360 and PS3 are due to GTA: L&D and KZ2, respectively?

If GTAIV itself couldn't move any extra hardware upon its release, there's no way the DLC did anything appreciable to hardware sales.

RSTEIN said:
Good point. The decline has slowed, and that's definitely a good thing. But relative to the 360's gains - when it didn't even have a big exclusive released during the month - it's pretty bad.

The problem is if Killzone 2 doesn't reach at least Gears sales status for the Ps3 then it has to be considered a commercial failure imo because there is no reason it shouldn't.

We shall see next month. I'm truly curious to see what next month's sales numbers for it will be. I predicted 500K for the first full month and 250 for the second month.

RSTEIN

Nintendo, Microsoft Console Sales Rise; Sony’s Decline Again

March 20 (Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co.’s U.S. sales of its Wii video-game consoles rose 74 percent in February, extending the company’s lead over Microsoft Corp. and Sony Corp.

The world’s largest maker of game consoles sold 753,000 Wii players last month, researcher NPD Group Inc. said yesterday in an e-mailed statement. Stores sold 391,000 Microsoft Xbox 360 players, a gain of 53 percent, and 276,000 of Sony’s PlayStation 3, a 1.7 percent decline.

U.S. retailers sold 75 percent more games for the Wii than last year, Nintendo said. Combined with console sales, Kyoto, Japan-based Nintendo accounted for much of the U.S. market’s growth of about 10 percent, said Cammie Dunaway, the company’s vice president of U.S. sales and marketing. U.S. industry sales totaled $1.47 billion, according to NPD.

“The industry continues to perform well despite the overall economic environment,” said Doug Creutz, an analyst with Cowen & Co. in San Francisco. Game software sales increased 9 percent to $733.5 million, exceeding his expectations.

Nintendo has sold 18.7 million Wii consoles in the U.S. since it was introduced in November 2006, leading game developers such as Activision Blizzard Inc. and Electronic Arts Inc. to create more titles for the player.

February marked Tokyo-based Sony’s fourth-straight month of falling U.S. sales for the PS3, which at $399.99 costs $150 more than the Wii and $200 more than the lowest-priced Xbox.

‘So Far Behind’

“They’ve buried themselves so far behind both the Wii and Xbox 360, that even if they cut prices there is no way they can catch up,” Creutz said. Sony spokesman Patrick Seybold didn’t return a call seeking comment.

Sony shares fell 0.9 percent to 0.9 percent to 1,973 yen yesterday on the Tokyo Stock Exchange and Nintendo dropped 0.9 percent to 28,280 yen in Osaka trading. Japanese markets are shut today for a holiday. Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft gained 18 cents to $17.14 on the Nasdaq Stock Market.

The top-selling game in February was Capcom Co.’s “Street Fighter IV,” which sold 849,000 copies for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, said NPD, based in Port Washington, New York.

“It tells you that the guys who buy hard-core games have no clue we’re in a recession,” Michael Pachter, a Los Angeles- based analyst with Wedbush Morgan Securities, said in an interview.

Wii Fit

In second place was Nintendo’s “Wii Fit,” in which players use a balance board to do yoga and other exercises. Stores sold 644,000 copies of “Wii Fit.” Electronic Arts is releasing “Sports Active” to compete against “Wii Fit” on the Nintendo player, which uses a motion-activated controller to simulate real activity.

Deutsche Bank AG analyst Satoru Kikuchi wrote in a March 17 report that Nintendo earnings will peak in the fiscal year ending March 2010 and that profit will fall thereafter because of slowing sales of the Wii, DS handheld device and games.

Nintendo’s Dunaway said sales “continue to exceed expectations” and the company has no plans to reduce prices.

“There really would be no reason to re-evaluate the price,” Dunaway said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Adam Satariano in San Francisco at asatariano1@bloomberg.net

MoogPaul

Dizzan said:
I wish people like you would stop using retarded to describe something that isn't cool. It's disgusting.

I don't think he is using it to describing something uncool, so much as stupid. It's not really right, either, just saying.

It is? What drove the sales? Surely not SFIV?

Its hard to tell honestly. You would expect a bump like that perhaps for March with the slate of high profile games out this month but not for Feb which was a relatively slow month outside of SFIV and Lost and the Damned.

Gaborn

RSTEIN said:

The reviews of the game were early Feb. Advertising came mid Feb on TV, bus stations, etc. There was a month of lead time for this stuff to penetrate the masses. But the reviews and hype didn't translate into console sales. The reviews and advertising didn't convince anyone to rush out and buy a PS3. Maybe this will change next month. Maybe seeing the game actually played at a friend's house or whatever will change minds. Hopefully Sony now realizes that no matter how good the game is, no software release is going to end the PS3's recent terrifying slide. Only a price cut will do it.

Right, but the question is - does Sony REALLY have to have higher sales now? I mean, at any cost? and could they afford a price drop big enough to cause a reasonable bump? and would it serve a greater purpose than leaving the higher cost? They should do a price drop when they can make more profit by cutting it than by leaving the price as is. Not before.

Stoney Mason said:
Its hard to tell honestly. You would expect a bump like that perhaps for March with the slate of high profile games out this month but not for Feb which was a relatively slow month outside of SFIV and Lost and the Damned.

Star Ocean bump?

Maybe it moved 100k and a new console with each purchase.

It could happen.

Really.

When Hell freezes over. :(

Amibguous Cad said:
I know it was released late in the month, but I'm not holding my breath. We always say this (Metroid Prime 3, LittlebigPlanet, etc) whenever a big title that released late underperforms and it never ends up redeeming itself.

Not true. Mario Party 8 sold 314k in just a few days back in May 07. Then in June, rather than disappearing, it took the #1 spot and sold 426k. It can happen. I'm not saying it will, 'cause it won't. But it can.

markatisu

Leondexter said:
Not true. Mario Party 8 sold 314k in just a few days back in May 07. Then in June, rather than disappearing, it took the #1 spot and sold 426k. It can happen. I'm not saying it will, 'cause it won't. But it can.

Wii Music sold 81k and then the following month sold more than 300% that, if its got legs we will see it next month

Gaborn said:
Right, but the question is - does Sony REALLY have to have higher sales now? I mean, at any cost? and could they afford a price drop big enough to cause a reasonable bump? and would it serve a greater purpose than leaving the higher cost? They should do a price drop when they can make more profit by cutting it than by leaving the price as is. Not before.

Aside from the e-peenor that Sony would gain from beating MS, they don't have much reason to drop the price. I mean, it's obviously not PS2 level success, but breaking 250k in a month is solid

Pachael

EDarkness said:
Lightgun games don't light up the charts. I don't know why people were expecting Overkill to do all that well. Maybe this will convince EA that Deadspace shooter isn't a good idea.

I think it's due to the optimism about the game hanging around (legs?) on the UK chart. Optimism!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15130444&postcount=826
markatisu said:
Figured some of you guys might not check the Chart Track EU sales-age thread but HoTD Overkill has now been on the UK charts longer than any other light gun Wii game

THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD OVERKILL
Weekly Ranking

Week 1= 10th (#3 Wii Chart)
Week 2= 9th (#3 Wii Chart)
Week 3= 16th (#3 Wii Chart)
Week 4= 24th (#5 Wii Chart)
Week 5= 20th (#4 Wii Chart)

jrricky

Banned
boring month is boring.

But Im glad SF4 charted. Such a great game.

*Looks at Mario kart DS and NSMB* Now thats what you call evergreen.:lol

markatisu said:
Wii Music sold 81k and then the following month sold more than 300% that, if its got legs we will see it next month

That was the holiday season, though; lots of games have increased month-over-month sales in Q4. It's rare during the rest of the year, though, even when the game launches late in the month (which was Amibguous Cad's point). But it does happen (which was mine). And I don't think Killzone 2 will be one of those rare exceptions.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
“It tells you that the guys who buy hard-core games have no clue we’re in a recession,” Michael Pachter, a Los Angeles- based analyst with Wedbush Morgan Securities, said in an interview.

WE'RE IN A RECESSION!?

pakkit

Banned
HylianTom said:
I know what caused the Wii's YoY increase: the releases of Bikini Zombie Slayers, Disney Sing It: High School Musical 3: Senior Year, and NASCAR Kart Racing.

The combined demographics of bloodthirsty sex fiends, kiddie gamers, and rednecks provided the boost it needed to obtain such stellar levels.
The funny thing is that, for low cost efforts, they're all surprisingly decent.

markatisu

pakkit said:
The funny thing is that, for low cost efforts, they're all surprisingly decent.

NASCAR Kart Racing is a really good MK Clone, its a shame EA did not include online because I think a lot more people would have bought into the concept

And the Disney Sing It series has had a complete face lift to look like a clone of SingStar

So I guess even the lesser Wii games are getting better and not complete crap

Future

RSTEIN said:

Yup. Killzone lived up to hype. But the real issue is $400 vs $200. Considering 80% of titles are on both systems, going PS3 is a tough choice. They have a few nice exclusives, but so does the 360.

PS2 sales are helping offset the low PS3 sales, but I wonder how long that will last

Gaborn

Amibguous Cad said:
Aside from the e-peenor that Sony would gain from beating MS, they don't have much reason to drop the price. I mean, it's obviously not PS2 level success, but breaking 250k in a month is solid

Pretty much my conclusion. if they're not thinking ahead to the PS4 they're even more shortsighted than they've seemed this generation.

It is? What drove the sales? Surely not SFIV?

I think the 360 is simply cementing its place as this gen's "other console". As the PS2 wanes, people are moving on, and for those who don't want a Wii, the choice between the 360 and the PS3 is getting pretty lopsided.

Sean

Banned
Nobody was expecting Halo 3 numbers, since it would be stupid to expect the same sort of effect on a much smaller userbase.

Actually Killzone 2 released to a larger userbase (7.2m PS3's sold vs 6.8m 360's at the time of Halo 3's launch). Though obviously it wasn't going to put up the same type of numbers as H3.

markatisu said:
Why would it be worrying? Yes it hard advertising but a 50-75k opening month would be a solid opening month

Anybody who was thinking 125-250k for a light gun game in its first month has delusions, REUC was the highest profile light gun game to date on Wii before HoTD Overkill and it pulled 121k (NPD Nov 2007 not even hitting the charts) mostly from the devoted RE audience during a holiday sales time who also snatched up a similar number of RE4 Wii copies in its first month

HoTD 2/3 Returns and Ghost Squad never pulled those numbers, so expecting an RE like performance imho was expecting too much, NERF relied on being boxed with a gun shell and a holidays sales push in order to reach its 500k

Seriously where the hell do you guys get your sales gauges
Fact is that I always thought that an ~75k opening month would be pretty decent for this game, considering that it would probably end up having some legs, but I was actually pretty sure that the top 20 for the month topped off around that mark, hence my disappointment as I saw that it could potentially be largely farther down the ranking. Frankly, it's kinda hard to tell if it could have done near this number even while out of the top 30, but I guess that could be possible. Anyway, looks like we won't know any better unless we are graced with some additional numbers and an extended ranking.

Striker

Sean said:
Actually Killzone 2 released to a larger userbase (7.2m PS3's sold vs 6.8m 360's at the time of Halo 3's launch). Though obviously it wasn't going to put up the same type of numbers as H3.
Don't use facts!

Stores sold 644,000 copies of “Wii Fit.” At $89.99 MSRP, there were more dollars spent on year-old Wii Fit than on brand-new Street Fighter IV this month.

“It tells you that the guys who buy non-games have no clue we’re in a recession,” Michael Pachter, a Los Angeles- based analyst with Wedbush Morgan Securities, said in an interview.

NolbertoS

Seems the recession isn't affecting Nintendo sales at all. I can't wait for the May NPD, moreso than next month's..that's when Punch Out Wii should do reasonably well :D

donny2112

Leondexter said:
Er...maybe I didn't do it right. Should I have said "fixed"?

Essentially it's exactly happening as Iwata said. The top games remain unaffected while the 6-10 most wanted games get squeezed.

Slow NPD thread is slow. :p

Edit:
No matter how badly HotD: Overkill did, it won't sell less than HotD III in its launch month. < 25K.

Edit2:
Also with how slow the NPD thread is, why were there still 500 errors?

Top Bottom