• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

pakkit

Banned
bmf said:
Wouldn't discourage the true believers.
stan_lee_580x.jpg

?

Kujo

Karma said:
Do we know that it passed 1m? Did we get sales figures?
Yeah, it sold over a 1m in US/UK/JP a while ago, plus however much sold in the rest of Europe and other countries.

That's too bad about HotD. I love rail shooters I think they would do better in 2009 at a lower release price. I know UC did well but the Resident Evil brand is huge. Hopefully HotD has really long legs once they drop the price.

Kujo

Karma said:
I missed that PR. You have a link?
No PR for it I don't think, at least I didn't see one. But I have numbers from a bit over a month ago - US: 611k+ | UK: 309k+ | JPN: 80k

My6cats

Banned
Averon said:
Why hasn't SCEA fired their advertising staff/firm/director or whoever is responsible for their PS3 ads? PS3 advertising has been bad. That Killzone ad makes me shake my head every time I see it. Like, 85% of the ad literally consisted of a bullet flying through the air :lol . Is SCEA contractually obligated to continue these ad strategy or do they actually like these ads?

I think the ad people actually worked with Saga few times. I can't recall which era, whether it was Sega saturn or Dreamcast, it might have been Genesis, but I rember when I saw who they were hiring i was thinkng, "why did Sny hire them!"

kitch, you're confusing potential demand with actual demand.

if the 360 and PS3 were in ample stock (IE everyone that wanted one was able to buy one) last year, and sold the same amount world wide, they were in equal demand.

EQUAL.

there may be more untapped demand for a lower cost PS3 than a lower cost 360, but that doesn't really matter. the 'room' for price drops ISN'T the MSRP.

what matters is how much selling a system makes the company. if Microsoft are making more money on each 360 sold than sony are making on each PS3 sold, irrespective of the fact that the 360 is cheaper, Microsoft have MORE room to drop the price.

furthermore, the 360 can ALWAYS be 'half the price' of the PS3 should Microsoft want. if sony drop the price of the PS3 $100, microsoft need only drop the Core $50.

i'd bet you that Microsoft come out at least $50 better off on a 360 sale than Sony do a PS3 sale.

My6cats

Banned
kitch9 said:
Worldwide demand by the way for the US guys who've managed to "forget" other countries exist in the last 2 pages.....

Encore over......

the NPD is about USA sales Only. Not about sales in Japan or europe. They both have thier own sale threads each week.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
pakkit said:
If that game sold more that HoTD:Overkill, then there is physical evidence regarding the refutation of God.
From all accounts DR:CTYD is just an average game that was ported as cheaply and easily as possible, not the anti-christ (or the refutation of christ). So at its price point, sales in the 40k-50k range wouldn't seem obscene. However, Capcom were missing from the list Nintendo released so at best it was probably in the 31-50 range.

Barrett2

plagiarize said:

if the 360 and PS3 were in ample stock (IE everyone that wanted one was able to buy one) last year, and sold the same amount world wide, they were in equal demand.

EQUAL.

there may be more untapped demand for a lower cost PS3 than a lower cost 360, but that doesn't really matter. the 'room' for price drops ISN'T the MSRP.

what matters is how much selling a system makes the company. if Microsoft are making more money on each 360 sold than sony are making on each PS3 sold, irrespective of the fact that the 360 is cheaper, Microsoft have MORE room to drop the price.

furthermore, the 360 can ALWAYS be 'half the price' of the PS3 should Microsoft want. if sony drop the price of the PS3 $100, microsoft need only drop the Core $50.

i'd bet you that Microsoft come out at least $50 better off on a 360 sale than Sony do a PS3 sale.

I think Kitch9 has made it clear he isn't concerned with that pointless "boardroom" crap. He's only concerned with the facts on the ground.

For example, if KZ2 were a bag of tangerines selling for $4.59 at a market in NYC, and L4D were a bushel of apples selling for $3.98 in San Diego, and the truck carrying the Street Fighter bananas crashes in Mexico, then the KZ2 tangerines are lowered to $4.32 since everyone's money is as good as everyone elses, then the L4D bushel would have less room to lower prices... See? Its called economics, guys... not very hard.

Gaborn

lawblob said:
I think Kitch9 has made it clear he isn't concerned with that pointless "boardroom" crap. He's only concerned with the facts on the ground.

For example, if KZ2 were a bag of tangerines selling for $4.59 at a market in NYC, and L4D were a bushel of apples selling for $3.98 in San Diego, and the truck carrying the Street Fighter bananas crashes in Mexico, then the KZ2 tangerines are lowered to $4.32 since everyone's money is as good as everyone elses, then the L4D bushel would have less room to lower prices... See?

It's simple economics

bah, beaten by stealth edit.

poppabk

lawblob said:

For example, if KZ2 were a bag of tangerines selling for $4.59 at a market in NYC, and L4D were a bushel of apples selling for $3.98 in San Diego, and the truck carrying the Street Fighter bananas crashes in Mexico, then the KZ2 tangerines are lowered to $4.32 since everyone's money is as good as everyone elses, then the L4D bushel would have less room to lower prices... See? Its called economics, guys... not very hard.
I think people are crazy if they think Apple is gonna enter the console market. Does no-one remember the pippin?

lawblob said:

This actually makes more sense than the last few of Sony's NPD response PR releases.

Sony... hire this man immediately.

Mindlog

poppabk said:
I think people are crazy if they think Apple is gonna enter the console market. Does no-one remember the pippin?

IMO if Apple enters the console market it enters the same way it has entered the handheld market.

Aps for Apple TV.

enter
sauce

The price of jars should be something to watch if Apple is planning anything.

poppabk

wayward archer said:
This actually makes more sense than the last few of Sony's NPD response PR releases.

Sony... hire this man immediately.
Whats worse is it makes a lot more sense than "real world" economics as practiced by AIG and the rest of the banking world.

Nocebo

kitch9 said:
Awesome.....

How many units did MS and Sony sell worldwide last year?

10.8 million shipped each.... Worldwide. Now consider the fact the 360 is half the price of the PS3 and that leads me to think that demand for the 360 is less so they have to sell at a lower price.

Therefore MS are more fucked than their competition as their competition can lower the price if they so fucking wish to increase demand. MS have fewer options in this department as they are already cheap.

Simple economics.....

I wonder how much money Sony receives from their massive amounts of potential sales. I'm sure all those people who got fired are happy that they could keep their jobs due to these imaginary potential sales of magical pixy dust that somehow turn the economical world as we know it upside down.

donny2112 said:
Not for two days. Most games have at least five days, as the normal release date is on a Tuesday. I'm also not thinking of any that sold significantly well (I consider 300K in February "signficantly well") with that short week and then fell off the next month. I know there's Little Big Planet, but the second month there was November and the threshold gets raised across the board in November.

Definitely. I have zero expectation of it making a Top 10 in April.

Resistance 2? Meh. The first mainly did well since it was a launch game, and its second month was a December. That's even worse for cracking the Top 10 than November.
MGS4? If MGS4 had had two days in May to sell and then all of June, I think it would've made the Top 10 each month.

It's not. If it had been released on a Tuesday instead of a Friday, I'd have a harder time believing it'd be in the Top 10 in March. It's unusually short availability time in February is a good part of why I think it should make the Top 10 in March.

Think of it like this. Killzone 2 sold 323K in two days. If it had been released on a Tuesday instead of a Friday, how much do you think it would've sold in the rest of the week? That "rest of the week" is now in another month that also happens to be a five-week month.
I think "the rest of the week" isn't as significant as you believe it is. I know there's the slight chance it'll scratch top 10 in March, but I don't have much faith. We shall see. What did you expect KZ2 to sell in February donny? 300k for this game was underwhelming to me.

cw_sasuke said:

Lower then what I was expecting (60 to 75k) but it isn't terrible. I guess I don't care much because the game is tearing up the charts in Europe.

I'm not worried because lightgun games on the Wii seem to have massive legs. Also I wouldn't be surprised if something hindering its sales is that ridiculous $50 price point. I mean it can't be the Wii market because light gun games and even violent "M" rated light gun games have been proven to sell well.

kitch9

Banned
plagiarize said:

EQUAL.

You are possibly right. Discussing how much room any manufacturer has to adjust price is pure semantics, and only the boardroom suits will know. It is irrelevant to us as we do not know, and not something any of us can discuss and be confident we actually know what the fuck we are talking about, for this reason profits and margins are irrelevant for our particular discussion.

The simple fact is, and something we all know about is that MS and Sony sold the same amount of units last year at their current price levels. As one product is a higher price than another that suggests the "potential" demand is higher for that product.....

Worldwide, for the US dudes who forgot over the last few posts........

Barrett2

kitch9 said:
You are possibly right. Discussing how much room any manufacturer has to adjust price is pure semantics, and only the boardroom suits will know. It is irrelevant to us as we do not know, and not something any of us can discuss and be confident we actually know what the fuck we are talking about, for this reason profits and margins are irrelevant for our particular discussion.

The simple fact is, and something we all know about is that MS and Sony sold the same amount of units last year at their current price levels. As one product is a higher price than another that suggests the "potential" demand is higher for that product.....

Rather than actually respond to a few things in this post, I think we'd all rather watch this....... aaaaand im' back to playing MLB 09
fe455f5e53dda4782a8d1c3829bf131b.gif

Gaborn

kitch9 said:

We can't truly know how much of a profit margin Sony might be at with the PS3 but we know that as a whole Sony isn't exactly in great financial shape. This might be said to be a limiting factor, the strong Yen in particular is really hurting Sony's business right now according to their own statements. You also have to wonder exactly what Sony would gain (aside from e-penis) if they sacrificed profitability or at least greatly reduced their profit margin with a price drop. I mean, even if they DID manage to squeak ahead of MS... so what? Sony is a business, and their goal is to make money, not to sell more console units than their competitor (though that's a nice bonus when that happens). If Sony can generate more profit with a price drop they will, if they feel they can't they won't.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
BishopLamont said:
I think "the rest of the week" isn't as significant as you believe it is. I know there's the slight chance it'll scratch top 10 in March, but I don't have much faith. We shall see. What did you expect KZ2 to sell in February donny? 300k for this game was underwhelming to me.

I have an avatar bet going that KZ2 won't top 10 next month.

Looking at LBP last year, it looks like it dropped from 215k to 141k. That's only a 35% drop off. So KZ2 theoretically should break 200k. We shall see.

Tmac said:
So once again, the ps3 did much better than most people want to admit or believe.
The only current gen console to post reduced sales vs last year... 3 months in a row. Yeah, it's doing much better than people want to admit.

Mkliner

suffah said:
I have an avatar bet going that KZ2 won't top 10 next month.

Looking at LBP last year, it looks like it dropped from 215k to 141k. That's only a 35% drop off. So KZ2 theoretically should break 200k. We shall see.

Well LBP's second month was nov so that probably softened the drop.

E: Did Sony or MS release their pr yet?

markatisu

Scrubking said:
I'm sure the game will continue to sell and acheive good numbers, but I'm interested to know why the game seems to be more popular in the UK over the US. Did they get more adverts or something? I know they got a special edition and the hand cannons.

Witness said:
What has HotD: Overkill sold in the UK anyway?

HoTD as a series is more popular series in the UK (at least as far as Wii is concerned), HoTD 2/3 Returns Wii sold almost 200k in the UK alone as of the last award report

HoTD Overkill is set to surpass that total as its been on the charts for longer at higher spots since it spent two weeks in the Top 10 (HoTD 2/3 Returns dropped off the charts after 4 weeks, HoTD Overkill is not only still on the charts after 5 weeks but actually moved up 4 spots and remains in the Top 5 of all Wii games behind only Wii Fit, Mario Kart and Mario and Sonic Olympics)

donny2112

BishopLamont said:
What did you expect KZ2 to sell in February donny?

380K, IIRC. It's in the prediction thread. I also said in the prediction thread that if Killzone 2 sold > 300K in February, that I'd expect it to sell 1-1.5 times that in March. With the discussion in this thread, I don't think I'm going to follow that criteria for next month's predictions, though, if Killzone 2 is even a part of it. Gots some thinking to do for next month's games. :lol

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Brannon said:
Halo 1 would like a word with you. THE word. That word being...

"Ahem".

A better example would be the original Pokémon revitalizing the Game Boy like it was brand new.

donny2112

Son of Godzilla said:
Yea, there are quite a few games who easily "saved" a system. Pokemon, Mario 64, and Wii Sports are incredibly obvious ones.

I don't think launch games can "save" a system, which would also exclude Halo 1. For launch games, it would just be described as a "system seller." Pokemon is a great example of a game revitalizing/"saving" a system, though. I think the PSP-2000 in Japan might fit the same description with Monster Hunter 2 Portable playing a supporting role, as well.

I'm really torn when it comes to HOTD's performance. On one hand I love the game (the Hand Cannon should have been released in the US, I imported 2 and I think it's the best gun shell ever) but I don't think Sega should be rewarded for releasing such a sloppy mess of a game in terms of overall polish.

Well that and I'd hate for publishers to have more evidence that light-guns games are what sells on the Wii :/

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
donny2112 said:
I don't think launch games can "save" a system, which would also exclude Halo 1. For launch games, it would just be described as a "system seller." Pokemon is a great example of a game revitalizing/"saving" a system, though.

And here comes the (admittedly off-topic) question: what will revitalize the Wii in Japan? Or push the DSi to the same kind of sales-level that the DS enjoyed?

Nobody has the answer though. I'm just wondering.

CiSTM

Banned
HotD overkill deserved more :( Well I'm glad it's doing well in uk. BTW do we have actual UK numbers for overkill ?

I really hope Mad World sells at least 3 times more than overkill in US.

Top Bottom