• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

TChirath

Neo Member
kitch9 said:
Awesome.....

How many units did MS and Sony sell worldwide last year?

10.8 million shipped each.... Worldwide. Now consider the fact the 360 is half the price of the PS3 and that leads me to think that demand for the 360 is less so they have to sell at a lower price.

Therefore MS are more fucked than their competition as their competition can lower the price if they so fucking wish to increase demand. MS have fewer options in this department as they are already cheap.

Simple economics.....

Where did you learn economics? Did they teach you nothing outside of simple demand/supply curve in chapter 2? Have you ever heard of Cost Curve? Yeah, professor said you are supposed to take both into account, not just one or the other. If you refer to any company as "fucked" by simply looking at its product demand but not the profit margin, you better take that class again.

Simple economics..

Nocebo

Segata Sanshiro said:
No, my emergency landmine is still in my pocket.

I think I'm kinetically charging the guy like motherfuckin' Gambit n' shit.
Have you ever considered that you might be Gambit's biological father? I mean a man of your class and stature must have women throwing themselves at you left and right? I think we're on to something here.

Killzone 2 did as I expected, as did the 360 and PS3 SF4 and Wii Fit.

Still, I am in utter disbelief and shock that Mario Kart DS and NSMB are still BOTH on the top 10. That is disgusting. At this rate, we will never get sequels.

Nocebo

Wii Will Rock U said:

Still, I am in utter disbelief and shock that Mario Kart DS and NSMB are still BOTH on the top 10. That is disgusting. At this rate, we will never get sequels.
If the 360 really did as you expected then why are you off by about 200k with your prediction? What kind of clown and pony show are you trying to run here?

Wii Will Rock U said:

Well, Mario Kart Wii is doing a fine job of tearing up the charts on its own. But as for a same-system sequel? Last time that happened for those series was... uhh, the arcade and NES, respectively?

Blablurn

Nocebo said:
If the 360 really did as you expected then why are you off by about 200k with your prediction? What kind of clown and pony show are you trying to run here?

RIF

he talks about street fighter IV numbers, not hardware

Nocebo said:
I meant the 360 version of SF4. Read a little more carefully please.

EDIT: Blablurn, thanks, lol. You beat me to it. :lol

Nocebo said:
:lol

Although his response post does explain.

I'm curious about the LTD of Mario Kart and Wii Play. Both have to bee getting way the hell up there. Glad to see SFIV had strong sales because it's the one game I've been consistently playing.

evilromero said:
I'm curious about the LTD of Mario Kart and Wii Play. Both have to bee getting way the hell up there. Glad to see SFIV had strong sales because it's the one game I've been consistently playing.
Mario Kart Wii > GTA IV on a WW scale, according to some posts / numbers we saw before I thought

Zachack

markatisu said:
Well in the case of Sega they receive the bulk of their Wii game sales once the price drops to around $39, it has happened with all of their games (including Mario and Sonic, that just benefited from selling at full price)

Its also how Sega sustains and promotes the legs of a title, EA adopted a similar strategy on the Wii with Boom Blox, THQ did it with de Blob, Ubisoft has done it Shaun White, Activision did it with GH,and the Lego series on Wii has followed suit.

So while everyone else is crying that HoTD Overkill did not sell 300k out of the gate, I think we will all be happy in 6-7 months when combined with the UK sales which are freaking great and I think Sega will be more than happy (as they were with the Ghost Squad and HoTD 2/3 Returns)
You're the king of lowered standards. Claiming that Sega will be more than happy when a game with a decent budget/advertising push makes most of its unit sales when the title is earning the least per-unit for Sega is pretty depressing. It also tells Sega (and every other dev) to aim no higher than B-title spending.

markatisu

Zachack said:
You're the king of lowered standards. Claiming that Sega will be more than happy when a game with a decent budget/advertising push makes most of its unit sales when the title is earning the least per-unit for Sega is pretty depressing. It also tells Sega (and every other dev) to aim no higher than B-title spending.

It is what it is, if Sega greenlights another light gun game and HoTD Overkill comes in at around the 455k that REUC did in the US what does that tell you?

Their retail strategy has worked for them to turn a profit, they subsidize and work with retailers to keep the price of their games on "sale" to encourage people to buy them

Price drops are not a bad thing, they stimulate sales. Price Collapses are a bad thing (going from $59 or $49 to $19.99)...that is not what Sega is doing

GAF really needs a reality check, look at past NPD's going back over several years. The idea that game needs to sell 750k-3m to be a success is not the way things work. There are plenty of past NPD's and sales-age reports where 250k for the month was amazing sales...now they get laughed at

I'm curious about the LTD of Mario Kart and Wii Play. Both have to bee getting way the hell up there. Glad to see SFIV had strong sales because it's the one game I've been consistently playin

Mario Kart Wii is at 5.5m in the US and Wii Play I think just crossed 10m in the US

Nocebo

Wii Will Rock U said:
I meant the 360 version of SF4. Read a little more carefully please.

EDIT: Blablurn, thanks, lol. You beat me to it. :lol
Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me for not being able to decipher that ambiguous blob of letters properly. I still smell something fishy even if that's what you supposedly said. How can your expectation of SF4 on xbox be so high while your hardware numbers are so low, answer that mr smarty pants.

Dirtbag

kitch9 said:
Wat?

We are talking supply and demand which is simple economics.

I have some red apples and when I priced them was $0.20 I only sold 1000 of them, but I dropped the price to $0.15 and managed to sell 2000 more.

My green apples on the other hand sold 1000 at $0.30 and 2000 more at $0.25.

Which apples have the highest demand?

How much are the happles?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Zachack said:
I think you may be exaggerating the level of spending on the title. I have it and its a great game, but the lack of polish and QC tells me that they didn't spend a massive amount of money.
I still think it is disappointing sales wise because it was a known franchise that did get some advertising and a non-shovelware budget, but I doubt it will be disappointing financially overall.

markatisu

poppabk said:
I think you may be exaggerating the level of spending on the title. I have it and its a great game, but the lack of polish and QC tells me that they didn't spend a massive amount of money.

I still think it is disappointing sales wise because it was a known franchise that did get some advertising and a non-shovelware budget, but I doubt it will be disappointing financially overall.

Again put the game into context, everyone knows Sega did not spend AAA money on the game. its got great commercials and its a awesome game, but for it to do what some of you are expecting in a non holiday rush is just being unrealistic.

The bar is NERF and REUC, plain and simple.

REUC during a holiday season sold 121k the first month, slightly higher the next and then crashed to around 30k in month 3. Capcom said total US sales to date are around 455k

NERF came during a holiday season and got to around 500k

Those are the bars for a lightgun game on the Wii, how it does will also probably give EA an indication of how their game will do.

The fact that some people are willing to pay more for a green apple does not mean there are more people overall who want green apples. That's extremely poor logic.

But we're talking about consoles, which, although similar, are not as similar as apples. There's a lot more involved than just price. First and foremost, very few people buy consoles in order to own a console. They want to play games. If someone happens to want a particular exclusive game, then price may not matter. If they have friends with one console or the other, that may override any other factors. If they want a movie player, that might sway them (could be Blu-Ray or Netflix, for example).

Averon

Why hasn't SCEA fired their advertising staff/firm/director or whoever is responsible for their PS3 ads? PS3 advertising has been bad. That Killzone ad makes me shake my head every time I see it. Like, 85% of the ad literally consisted of a bullet flying through the air :lol . Is SCEA contractually obligated to continue these ad strategy or do they actually like these ads?

yurinka

Great numbers for Killzone 2 and SFIV :D

BTW about the Killzone 2 as I remember they announced more than 1 million was in Europe alone, not USA.

kitch9

Banned
TChirath said:
Where did you learn economics? Did they teach you nothing outside of simple demand/supply curve in chapter 2? Have you ever heard of Cost Curve? Yeah, professor said you are supposed to take both into account, not just one or the other. If you refer to any company as "fucked" by simply looking at its product demand but not the profit margin, you better take that class again.

Simple economics..

I'm talking fucking consumer level demand. Boardroom crap is for the suits.

kitch9

Banned
kitch9 said:
I'm talking fucking consumer level demand. Boardroom crap is for the suits.

Worldwide demand by the way for the US guys who've managed to "forget" other countries exist in the last 2 pages.....

Encore over......

markatisu

cw_sasuke said:
HotD Overkill Sold 45K Copies

http://www.edge-online.com/news/house-dead-overkill-sells-45k

The M-rated grindhouse film-inspired gore fest House of the Dead: Overkill has managed to make a modest bit of headway on the typically family-friendly Wii.

Around the 50k-75k I figured it would, now to see if has the legs it has shown in the UK

Take that lowered expectation motherfuckers, you have realistic expectations and you are not sad

Interfectum

Gold Member
kitch9 said:
Worldwide demand by the way for the US guys who've managed to "forget" other countries exist in the last 2 pages.....

Encore over......

rbe0dk.gif

Effect

sionyboy said:
I think that Nintendo need to look at making a 2d Mario platformer for the Wii. I know I'd buy it.

If they did that then we'd see sales no one would have thought possible. I'd be all over a new 2D console Mario game. It's length would be insane as well. You think Nintendo has supply problems now with the Wii.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
kitch9 said:

Encore over......

NPD NPD NPD NPD NPD NPD NPD

yurinka said:
Great numbers for Killzone 2 and SFIV :D

BTW about the Killzone 2 as I remember they announced more than 1 million was in Europe alone, not USA.

What? Games developed in Europe sell well in Europe? Games developed in America sell well in America? Games developed in Japan sell well in Japan? (unless you're nintendo) who'd have thunk it?

Interfectum

Gold Member
kitch9 could you post the usernames w/ examples in this thread of the "US guys" who forget the rest of the world exists (obviously because they are stuuupid americans duur durrr durrr).

Either post who is doing this or stop posting that shit.

kitch9

Banned
[Nintex] said:
It's the NPD thread, it's about US sales...

Possibly so, but no company needs every territory to be strong to survive or even compete.

That is my point. There are plenty of people ringing the death knell and posting loads of these.:lol :lol :lol

Worldwide is all that matters. Everybodies money is as good as the next mans regardless of where you are in the world....

All companies concerned are stronger in some territories than others, and just because we have the figures showing one company selling more in its strongest territory, its only one territory and no reason to get as excited as some do.....

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
kitch9 said:
Worldwide is all that matters. Everybodies money is as good as the next mans regardless of where you are in the world....
While your general point is true - this isn't.

kitch9 said:
Possibly so, but no company needs every territory to be strong to survive or even compete.

That is my point. There are plenty of people ringing the death knell and posting loads of these.:lol :lol :lol

All companies concerned are stronger in some territories than others, and just because we have the figures showing one company selling more in its strongest territory, its only one territory and no reason to get as excited as some do.....

Right but when you integrate over all territories Sony comes out in 3rd place with no likelihood of that changing. And when you integrate over all sales Sony has lost the most money this gen, again with no real probability of that changing.

So now can I :lol :lol :lol :lol ?

Chumly

The light gun game from Sega and U.K.-based Headstrong Games sold 45K units during the month of February, NPD told Edge. The game launched February 10.

NPD analyst Anita Frazier said it landed around the 50th spot in the top-100 SKUs for the month in unit sales.

Most important part of the article!

pakkit

Banned
That's true, but when you're losing money in every territory it doesn't especially matter. Also, gaming companies need to thing globally in this day and age, that's part of what killed SEGA.

Banned
Psychotext said:
So 623k total in just over a month, selling to a 7.2m PS3 install base would good? Gears 1 did that in 3 weeks with 3.4m 360s sold and COD:WaW did it in 2 weeks with 6.1m PS3s sold.

I think KZ2 did good. It just isn`t going to be the mega hit the Sony fans said it would be and is not a system seller.

gofreak said:
I don't think KZ2 sold 1m in its first week necessarily, but I wouldn't rely on the fact that Sony hasn't pushed out a PR about it passing 1m as proof it hasn't. Sony doesn't usually do that. To take a recent example, when LBP passed 1m there was no press release fanfare.

Do we know that it passed 1m? Did we get sales figures?

Scrubking

markatisu said:
Around the 50k-75k I figured it would, now to see if has the legs it has shown in the UK

Take that lowered expectation motherfuckers, you have realistic expectations and you are not sad

I'm sure the game will continue to sell and acheive good numbers, but I'm interested to know why the game seems to be more popular in the UK over the US. Did they get more adverts or something? I know they got a special edition and the hand cannons.

Calcaneus

Nocebo said:
Aww, you almost had him dude! I gotta admit, I thought he was talking about the same thing. That Wii Will Rock You is a cunning one.

kitch9 said:

Weren't you done with the thread 3 different times now?

Top Bottom