• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2011 [Update 4: PS3 Hardware, TONS Of Games]

I don't think KZ3 is necessarily a bomb like people are saying but I'm honestly wondering why GG put it out so quick. After KZ2 was done I wasn't expecting to see a sequel until the end of the generation, another couple years.

It's a very feature rich game but I think they definitely could have used another 4-6 months of polish at least.

nib95

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
Tracking back, it took K2 3 months to pass 550K units if we look at old articles (in the US). K3 has sold, as expected, for the series. I do not see how it was disappointing.

I feel like there's been a bigger marketing push this time, and more effort to make the game more "accessible". Hasn't really done anything for the sales, and if anything, lost them some of the original fanbase. Moral of the story, don't pander to the masses. Just do your own thing.

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/kinect-bundles-outsold-ps3-move-bundles-51-in-february/
While Sony was reluctant to hand out the hardware data, Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter passed along the NPD data for the PS3 console: it sold 403,000 units for the month of February. That's up 12% year-over-year but it's still not as good as Xbox 360's 535,000 (27% bump) or Wii's 454,000 (14% rise). Additionally, the PlayStation Move continues to be outsold by Kinect it would seem.

"Under one-fifth of PS3 sales included bundles with Sony’s Move controller, suggesting another modest month (we have chosen not to subscribe to peripheral data). Over 2/3 of Xbox 360 sales included bundles with Microsoft’s Kinect peripheral, as Xbox 360 Kinect console bundles again outsold PS3 Move console bundles by over 5:1," commented Pachter. "We note that the top selling Kinect software titles easily outsold their Move counterparts."

Pachter also reiterated that price cuts are likely forthcoming but that for now 360 and Kinect have the momentum.

"We expect demand for the Xbox 360 to remain stronger than the other consoles due to the popularity of Kinect. We expect Wii and PS3 hardware sales to continue to decline (despite February’s up month for both) in the first part of 2011," he said. "Without further price cuts, we expect hardware sales to be down in 2011, and we think that the console manufacturers will position cuts around the E3 Expo in early June."
According to this article: Playstation 3=403,000(up 12% year-over-year)

Anth0ny

Happy that MvC3 sold so damn much. Well deserved.

Yet, despite that, Black Cops is not only first, but becomes the best selling game in the history of North America. Hurts my heart.

I wish there were numbers for how many people traded the game in one month later.

nib95

Banned
Anth0ny said:
Happy that MvC3 sold so damn much. Well deserved.

Yet, despite that, Black Cops is not only first, but becomes the best selling game in the history of North America. Hurts my heart.

I wish there were numbers for how many people traded the game in one month later.

Why? Blops is an amazing game with a ridiculously comprehensive multiplayer mode. Wish the people who weren't in to such games weren't so damn bitter about it all the time.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Happy to see Marvel living up to its potential for sales; I really did think the Marvel name and characters were far more powerful these days. It looks like it is working.

The thing is, there's almost nothing in the Marvel 3 package to turn off the average player. The hardcore blew up at no spectator mode or replays at launch, played theory fighter and screamed the game was broken 2 days after launch, but the core game is amazing and anybody, even the average player, can see that.

I've seen some hardcore say Capcom should have just cut work on stuff like backgrounds and character intros or all that music to get spectator mode in, or their 2 favorite characters... but that would have been the wrong move as far as mass sales are concerned. The first impression the game gives off is that it's super lush, extravagant, and state of the art. The games causing the most excitement in the fighting game revival, with seemingly the most mainstream appeal, all showcase audio visual and presentation standards that are comparable to modern AAA games. (Hardcore bitching about SFIV's art style not being anime doesn't matter; that game is technically gorgeous and lavish, and shook off the low budget, dinky impression 2D fighting games had been stuck with.)

Hopefully MK9 will be able to fully capitalize on this wave; it's got all the right ingredients.

Huff

Banned
manueldelalas said:
Why it's retarded? I believe K2 sold a lot more in less days, this game should have been more frontloaded...

Falling slightly short of a previous version is not necessarily strange. I'm sure sony has a range of numbers that it wanted to do. I'm sure this number fell within the expected range, if Sony was being realistic.

Every dev puts out a game and they want it to be the next big hit. This didn't explode out the gates, but that doesn't mean GG should shut down and the series should die. Like some of gaf think it should.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Damn Mahvel good shit

hulk-strongest-there-is-o.gif

Quick question for the more knowledgable, does the NPD track online sales as well as retail? Would it track the sales of MVC3 from capcoms store?

confuziz said:
To my knowledge, no.

That makes MVC3's sales all the more impressive. Still not as much as SF, but capcom was delusional if they thought it would outsell it realistically.

Well done capcom (NOW FIX THE FUCKING ONLINE!!!)

_dementia said:
Out of curiosity, I looked up SF4 and it did 59k more than MvC3 its first month. It released slightly later in the month too.

its a better game overall. Marvel is for fun and fanservice, SF (even comback fighter 4) is a more serious and deeper series.

Haunted

MWS Natural said:
Sooooo.....Sony didn't even show up to the party this month?
Sony is like a pinata at a Mexican birthday party.

It's probably better for them to stay away and stay quiet, hoping everyone forgets about them.

Dedication Through Light said:
I wonder why they keep claiming that the companies will do a price cut. Consumers seem to, still be buying these units at the high cost (and for Microsoft's case, pricey bundles) and for the PS3, its high cost compared to others.
The PS3 was $50 off and/or bundled with KZ3 half the month. A price drop usually follows those kinds of deals.

WrikaWrek

Banned
You don't need PS3 numbers. All you need to know is that the PS3 ecosystem is alive and marching forward, and that demand for 3D and motion gaming keeps moving.

Huff

Banned
KingDizzi said:
Basically? Bullshit the US got a price cut but nothing of the sort in the UK, bleh I want a slim.

I keep reading all these articles about the UK getting actual price cuts. You sure you were looking?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
zomgbbqftw said:
Economic recovery?

This time last year was really bad.
They are also up significantly over January as well, and the Wii and PS3 were down last month and we didn't undergo economic recovery in one month. Tax refunds maybe, coupled with a tighter Christmas budget, so people delayed till now. I don't know it seems strange

Mrbob

To be fair, by definition the recession is over so things should start to be looking up.

Prine said:
Im smiling like a motherfu*ker with Kinect success. Powered by the hate that proceeded its release. They wanted it to bomb haha.

Hi to the haters, i'll see you later.

[it prints money.gif]

Hahahaha, you were definitely trumpeting Kinect before launch so now you can tall and proud. I still think it is garbage but there is no denying it has been a massive sales success for MS. There should be a Kinect it prints money gif if it keeps on selling at this pace.

KKRT00

[Nintex] said:
Game is 17 days on the market, those 280k units are from one region [not even full and not Sony's biggest], 4 days of sales and dont include bundles - figure it out.

-edit-
Bad memory :p number fixed

jax (old)

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:
I don't think KZ3 is necessarily a bomb like people are saying but I'm honestly wondering why GG put it out so quick. After KZ2 was done I wasn't expecting to see a sequel until the end of the generation, another couple years.

It's a very feature rich game but I think they definitely could have used another 4-6 months of polish at least.

huh?

I think it feels like it came out at the right time. WHile I didn't love it (KZ3 that is), I bought it and didn't feel like it came too early. Also, BS is multiplatform and sold 10k more? Not really a massive success compared to KZ3 - which reuses engine, and assets (albeit improved).

KKRT00 said:
Game is 17 days on the market, those 380k units are from one region [not even full and not Sony's biggest], 4 days of sales and dont include bundles - figure it out.
Where the hell did you get this number from? It is 279.9K in the US NPD.

Haunted said:
Sony is like a pinata at a Mexican birthday party.

It's probably better for them to stay away and stay quiet, hoping everyone forgets about them.

Based on the sales number for their "AAA" exclusives, most everyone has.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
BroHuffman said:
Falling slightly short of a previous version is not necessarily strange. I'm sure sony has a range of numbers that it wanted to do. I'm sure this number fell within the expected range, if Sony was being realistic.

Every dev puts out a game and they want it to be the next big hit. This didn't explode out the gates, but that doesn't mean GG should shut down and the series should die. Like some of gaf think it should.
Disappointing sales are disappointing. It had plenty of time (unlike K2) and it sold worse. We will see in the second month to make a valid comparison with K2 numbers, because K2 had like 48 hours of NPD data, and the second month was stronger for it, but it is not retarded, as you said, to think the sales of the game were not what one would expect.
Korez said:
I have found this :lol

http://i.min.us/imi2nY.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Love the troll face in the bottom =P

Top Bottom