• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2011 [Update 4: PS3 Hardware, TONS Of Games]

Biggzy

Dear God at BLOPS numbers; seriously when will that franchise start to stagnate and decline, the sales of that franchise just keeps on increasing.

Jeez. Killzone 3 did just fine. Just under 300k in a week, in one country. Seriously, you'd think after the first two games people would have noticed this is no mega-franchise. And this one is considerably less hyped and and acclaimed than the previous entry.

It will easily cross 2 million worldwide.

Speevy

Banned
Biggzy said:
seriously when will that franchise start to stagnate and decline.

when you can walk into the recreation room of any college campus and find a TV that doesn't have an aiming reticule on it.

TheOddOne

[Nintex] said:
Two Tribes, Interwave Studios, Triumph Studios etc. plenty of indie devs who could use the funding that aren't backed by Sony.
Two Tribes - Making smaller casual games.
Interwave Studios - Dunno, they seem dead.
Triumph Studios - Great studio, should get more funding.

Raide

As amazingly high as the CoD sales are, that has to be pretty scary for even Activision. When they talk up MW2, they are setting the sales bar massively high.

Ultimoo said:
I'll be surprised if MK9 handily outsells MvC3. I'm expecting same numbers, but people are citing the MK brand as being very strong, so we'll have to see. I'm willing to eat crow if MvC3 gets raped sales-wise though, should be fun. :p

I hope both sell well. I didn't expect MvC3 sales to be so big. It's a great game and I'm eagerly waiting to try out MK. 2D fighting games FTW!

CozMick

Banned
samus4ever said:
I hope both sell well. I didn't expect MvC3 sales to be so big. It's a great game and I'm eagerly waiting to try out MK. 2D fighting games FTW!

Oh yes!

MvC3 has done amazingly well and it deserves it.

I'm hoping MK9 does just as well because going from the demo it's clearly a quality title.

evolution

[Nintex] said:
Two Tribes, Interwave Studios, Triumph Studios etc. plenty of indie devs who could use the funding that aren't backed by Sony.
Those studios don't seem like better options to me. Theres nothing wrong with GG imo, they just need to add a year to their dev cycle.

TheOddOne

CozMick said:
The UK is practically neck and neck

Europe is Sonyland

Japan, the 360 was DOA

The only place the 360 is "dominating" is the US.
I wasn't even saying it was "dominating", its not as bad as some describe it is in Europe.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Call of Duty phenomina is so strange to watch, for me anyway, because I distinctly remember the day Call of Duty was announced for PC, and the staff shift from Medal of Honor to this new big war title. I remember the day it came out, and I remember playing it.

It's so strange to see something grow like this. I was there for the beginning, and here I am as it has become something so much bigger.

Gravijah

EatChildren said:
The Call of Duty phenomina is so strange to watch, for me anyway, because I distinctly remember the day Call of Duty was announced for PC, and the staff shift from Medal of Honor to this new big war title. I remember the day it came out, and I remember playing it.

It's so strange to see something grow like this. I was there for the beginning, and here I am as it has become something so much bigger.

I remember Call of Duty 1 being this hardcore FPS that everyone with a gaming PC was talking about. Feels like decades ago.

EatChildren said:

It is a snowball effect. The more people play it, the more people want to play it. The same with kids playing Pokemon. Ofc they also hit a winning formula in the online world giving players constant rewards for their investements in the game (much like WoW).

TBH I have nothing against the game, there seems to be a "hardcore gamers" backlash against it because it is so popular (yet they probably all play it anyway). We need games like that to grow the market and to enable other games to evolve. In a few years time another game will be king and we can all get angry when it sells well ;)

Dabanton

NemesisPrime said:
It is a snowball effect. The more people play it, the more people want to play it. The same with kids playing Pokemon. Ofc they also hit a winning formula in the online world giving players constant rewards for their investements in the game (much like WoW).

TBH I have nothing against the game, there seems to be a "hardcore gamers" backlash against it because it is so popular (yet they probably all play it anyway). We need games like that to grow the market and to enable other games to evolve. In a few years time another game will be king and we can all get angry when it sells well ;)

How true, It's the way of the gamer. When CoD's popularity inevitably wanes all the 'hardcore' will probably love it again.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gravijah said:
I remember Call of Duty 1 being this hardcore FPS that everyone with a gaming PC was talking about. Feels like decades ago.

Exactly! I remember some mates and I getting it when it came out, thinking it was the bees knees. I remember how amazing it was to see a PC game pushing such huuuge amounts of enemies at once. The Battle of Stalengrad, which is still my favourite battle of all CoD games, was a good example. It was even one of the big promotional points of the game; huge NPC counts on screen for massive battles.

I remember lanning it with friends, even basic 1v1 stuff. So much fun.

NemesisPrime said:

Yeah, I know. I mean, Call of Duty isn't for me anymore. I dont really like the franchise much, and like many hate how Activision milk it. But its still so weird to see a franchise explode into such a huge phenomina. Not just "really popular", but "best selling game in the US".

Its a rags to riches franchise story.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Dabanton said:
How true, It's the way of the gamer. When CoD's popularity inevitably wanes all the 'hardcore' will probably love it again.
The "you just hate it because it's popular" is one of the dumbest arguments in the history of mankind. Keep the flame alive.

Rolf NB

EatChildren said:

I remember liking MoHAA more. Never could get into any CoD game, ever. Tried 1, 2, 2:BRE, 3, 4, WaW. The campaigns are just not fun in any way to me.

Funny how that doesn't matter one bit anymore.

CozMick said:
The UK is practically neck and neck

Europe is Sonyland

Japan, the 360 was DOA

The only place the 360 is "dominating" is the US.

Uh huh....keep telling yourself that. This isn't 2003. Europe is Sonyland but Nintendo's been outselling them significantly and Microsoft has been more or less neck in neck this entire generation while outselling it in Europe's biggest market?

That statement has been incorrect for a long time now. Each console's respective user bases are estimated to be around ~20 million units, with at best a ~3 million gap in favor of Sony coming from Europe and all other smaller markets combined(say best case scenario for Europe being, PS3 -21 million, 360-18 million, if we attribute the entire gap coming from Europe). That doesn't exactly sound like domination, or Sony land, and certainly not the case of Microsoft not being successful there.

Sorry, but you are stuck in the past and spreading BS.

PS: Stop separating the UK from the rest of Europe to suit your argument. UK is a country and is a part of Europe.

Dabanton

Jive Turkey said:
The "you just hate it because it's popular" is one of the dumbest arguments in the history of mankind. Keep the flame alive.

Maybe it's because it's constantly vocalised by a lot of people on here. But the all round vitriol over people liking the game is hilarious.

Just go through this thread and read the replies to the news that Black Ops is now the best selling US game of all time.

Jive Turkey said:

Not near as dumb as the people that have over and over proved that statement quite accurate.

With great success comes great criticism and enemies. It's not a dumb statement. It's a part of life and it's been around forever. It applies to anything and everything. People, products, countries....video game manufacturers.....heck even Michael Jackson!

People like to see success, but then if they are too successful and stay on top for too long we just want them to fail and get replaced, and a lot of times it has nothing to do with the product, person, or what have you all of a suddenly becoming any worse.

I think what you were trying to say, is that anomaly is one of the dumbest traits in mankind's history!

Watchtower said:
PS: Stop separating the UK from the rest of Europe to suit your argument. UK is a country and is a part of Europe.
Take a breath before leaping down his throat more.
1. The 360/PS3 difference between UK/IRE & Rest of Europe is big, that's why he seperated them.
2. In UK/IRE 360 versions of multiplat outsell PS3 versions & 360 tends to dominate the software charts in general. In most of mainland EU sales that we see every week in the PAL Sales threads, the PS3 & Wii dominate the software charts.

So there is a disconnect. Possibly not as big as he thinks, but bigger than you think.

Killzone is an irrelevant franchise, just deal with it people.

About the mainland europe... PS3 sold 800k in France last year, 360 500k. Gap isn't as huge as in the US really. And except from some series and handheld, Japan is not a very important market anymore...

EatChildren said:
Yeah, I know. I mean, Call of Duty isn't for me anymore. I dont really like the franchise much, and like many hate how Activision milk it. But its still so weird to see a franchise explode into such a huge phenomina. Not just "really popular", but "best selling game in the US".

This is how I feel. Like you, I remember buying Cod on the first day and just devouring the singleplayer campaign, but with the release of MW the game moved it's focus to MP. I still try all the games but I've lost any desire to spend money on the franchise.

onipex

Biggzy said:
Dear God at BLOPS numbers; seriously when will that franchise start to stagnate and decline, the sales of that franchise just keeps on increasing.

The problem is that all we will hear is talk of decline if the next one does not sell as fast and as high.

Nice month all around I'd say...

Most of what I'd like to say in short form...

Mahvel and fighting games are back baby!
Just Dance 2 is the new Mario Kart.
Microsoft played it's cards right.
Damn Sony won't even show the numbers...
Nintendo doesn't have to do a goddamn thing to sell hardware.

I have a kind of wacky theory about Call of Duty too. Me and most of my friends have moved on from Call of Duty, but the game is still selling bucket loads and kids like my little brother are loving the shit out of this game. I think that Call of Duty doesn't have staying power like Pokemon per say, but it is an entry level game for those who want to try video games for the first time. I think this franchise may have that Nintendo quality that can maintain consistently high sales for years to come if managed properly.

I bet that Call of Duty may get larger before it gets smaller, but it certainly has a chance to lose it's significance if Activision gets crazy about the releases.

Zinga

Banned
Killzone 3's numbers are pretty bad, but at least it wasn't as hyped by SonyGAF like Killzone 2 was (still the most overhyped SonyGAF game of all time)

KingDizzi

Banned
GG need to let Killzone die and just fresh, a talented studio and now there is a second studio so there really is no excuse to do something that is not Killzone. Sad to see KZ3 not do well though, quite enjoyed the game but 360 numbers are simply insane. Marvel doing so well is also a shocker, did not do well here in EU but I guess Amercans love fighting games. Mortal Kombat 9 is going to do really well, it just is.

KKRT00

LordPhoque said:
Killzone is an irrelevant franchise, just deal with it people.

About the mainland europe... PS3 sold 800k in France last year, 360 500k. Gap isn't as huge as in the US really. And except from some series and handheld, Japan is not a very important market anymore...
You know, there are more countries in Europe if most of them has 60% more PS3 than X360 [i know Poland has and Germany too, Italy and Spain that same...] then the gap is huge.

And how is X360 dominating this month NPD when PS3 sold only about 100k less and Move generated 80% of Kinect's income? Yeah Microsoft is stronger in NA, but its not dominating this month like in december.

And Killzone 3? Oh come on, number are underwhelming but its not bomba in any way, Sony is still making money on it, they just failed to make a blockbuster franchise.

confused

Banned
SolarPowered said:
Nice month all around I'd say...

Most of what I'd like to say in short form...

Mahvel and fighting games are back baby!
Just Dance 2 is the new Mario Kart.
Microsoft played it's cards right.
Damn Sony won't even show the numbers...
Nintendo doesn't have to do a goddamn thing to sell hardware.

I have a kind of wacky theory about Call of Duty too. Me and most of my friends have moved on from Call of Duty, but the game is still selling bucket loads and kids like my little brother are loving the shit out of this game. I think that Call of Duty doesn't have staying power like Pokemon per say, but it is an entry level game for those who want to try video games for the first time. I think this franchise may have that Nintendo quality that can maintain consistently high sales for years to come if managed properly.

I bet that Call of Duty may get larger before it gets smaller, but it certainly has a chance to lose it's significance if Activision gets crazy about the releases.

Bwahahahaha :lol :lol :lol

Sorry, but I can't take anything you say seriously now......or ever again.

V_Arnold

I think Microsoft is in a good track considering they are currently dominating over PS3 in THE biggest market AND in the biggest market of the second biggest market (UK of EU).

Sony performs better in Japan and mainland EU, but not that much better for an overtake, imho. Not if the trend continues in USA/UK.

Hammer24

Banned
While I wouldn´t label KZ3 a "bomba", its still not good that it looks that it got outsold by COD:BO PS3 in February.
And don´t give me the "COD is not hardcore" stuff, both games target the same customer group.

V_Arnold said:
I think Microsoft is in a good track considering they are currently dominating over PS3 in THE biggest market AND in the biggest market of the second biggest market (UK of EU).
Xzibit.jpg

Abooie

Banned
MrCookiepants said:
Jeez. Killzone 3 did just fine. Just under 300k in a week, in one country. Seriously, you'd think after the first two games people would have noticed this is no mega-franchise. And this one is considerably less hyped and and acclaimed than the previous entry.

It will easily cross 2 million worldwide.

It didn't do fine and has got to be seen as a disappointment by Sony

Killzone has been hyped by Sony as their Halo, rightly or wrongly; it is (one) of their show pieces and has been pimped for months as the reason to buy Move.

Halo: Reach sold 3.3 million in it's opening 2 weeks (NPD september 2010) .

KKRT00 said:
You know, there are more countries in Europe if most of them has 60% more PS3 than X360 [i know Poland has and Germany too, Italy and Spain that same...] then the gap is huge.
Speaking of which, what're the latest European numbers for 360 & PS3? LTD I mean.

KKRT00 said:
And how is X360 dominating this month NPD when PS3 sold only about 100k less and Move generated 80% of Kinect's income? Yeah Microsoft is stronger in NA, but its not dominating this month like in december.
Another YoY increase for MS, 14 months of continued high(est?) numbers, and not just hardware, software was big for them this month.

KKRT00 said:
And Killzone 3? Oh come on, number are underwhelming but its not bomba in any way, Sony is still making money on it, they just failed to make a blockbuster franchise.
The bomba thing is expectations blow-back. How do you know Sony is still making money on it? Development, Hollywood Actors, Marketing.
If I'm reading the numbers right, Killzone 2 outsold 3 in a shorter amount of time, which is crazy.

Top Bottom