• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2011 [Update 4: PS3 Hardware, TONS Of Games]

Dabanton

Hammer24 said:
Should be interesting then to see how Gears3 fares.

I'm going to guess it's going to be a huge success.

Same as Uncharted 3 and Mass Effect 3.

The Killzone franchise just doesn't seem to have the pull that Sony wants it too. Seriously it's their flagship FPS game and it should be selling much better.

Seems even PS3 owners aren't feeling it much.

Mako_Drug

Kinspiracy said:
Exactly right. Sony's problem isn't just that they can't sell as many consoles as their competition in the Americas. It's also that they can't seem to get the people that do own the console to buy games. But to be fair, the best games that the PS3 has are multi-plats, and a lot of those continue to do well.

Reggie, is that you??

Verendus

Banned
Hammer24 said:
You're not understanding him.

I take it that he's implying Killzone 3 didn't stand much chance of reaching a wider audience because it's the third entry, and the second already failed to do so.

Gears of War is already huge. It's not going to be interesting to see how it fares because it's going to do great. Just like the previous already two entries have. There is a big established fanbase for it.

Hammer24 said:

I think Gears3 will actually do better than Gears2. Microsoft seems to really, really, really know how to market their stuff (I think better than Sony). People will be inundated with ads and want to get it, put in some Kinect features too, to appeal to those people, and instant win. If they can make the ads not mention a story mode at all and focus on multiplayer, then people wont shy away from the third entry, I think.

Though September is Gears of War 3 versus Resistance 3...oh dear!

Neki

Even I'm buying Gears 3 day one, and I don't even have an 360!

just kidding, still buying it day one though. ;)

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
With the exception of GTA and CoD, yes.

Fable
Bioshock
Uncharted
Assassin's Creed
Monster Hunter (Japan)
Battlefield/BC
Dead Space
Left 4 Dead
Gears of War
Just Cause
Gran Turismo (if you count prologue)
Kane & Lynch
FEAR
Fallout
Rainbow Six Vegas
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

Off the top of my head all sold better in their second/third iteration this generation than the first. To be fair, most of those are new IPs (or in Fallout's case, a re-imagination of an old IP) for this generation.

EagleEyes

GeoramA said:
So they're going to stop releasing games on PSN? That sucks...
Do you seriously think PSN is going to release the amount of exclusives XBLA will deliver this year? It's pretty obvious by now that Microsoft is focusing heavily on XBLA for their exclusives.

statham

I think at this point in console lives, its not about what games are coming out (besides kinect since thats kinda like a new console), its the backlog. anyone wanting a PS3 or 360 would have already of bought one... not for the new games but for the catalog of games already released. I bought a PS3 not for future games but for the games already released. the future games are a bonus. If you bought a 360/PS3 early on it was kinda risky, but at this point everyone knows what to expect. The hardcore gamers have already bought their systems, the casuals, already other system owners, and upgraders are buying the rest.

Kam said:

I take it that he's implying Killzone 3 didn't stand much chance of reaching a wider audience because it's the third entry, and the second already failed to do so.

Gears of War is already huge. It's not going to be interesting to see how it fares because it's going to do great. Just like the previous already two entries have. There is a big established fanbase for it.

Yes, exactly.

Dabanton said:

The Killzone franchise just doesn't seem to have the pull that Sony wants it too. Seriously it's their flagship FPS game and it should be selling much better.

It alienated some of the KZ2 fans and there's BLOPS so yea

pvpness

plagiarize said:
the word you are looking for is 'popular'.

COD is not casual. i have never met a person that plays COD casually. there is nothing casual about the COD experience. infact it's so all consuming that people who play it, play it for hours and hours and hours and don't play anything else, and STRIVE to increase their levels and get better at the game.

nothing about that is casual.

i don't play the things, but casual couldn't be further from the truth in any sense of the word.

Hi, nice to meet ya and sorry I'm late. When my 6 year old kid isn't playin Blops and rockin the kids online I'll pop on for an hour of casual play. I play CoD games casually because they're fast paced and most of the player base is completely retarded so it's not hard to dominate, even casually. Now, I play the battlefield series in a fiendishly hardcore manner. Thousands of hours, every map memorized, every gun dynamic, kit combination mastered etc. I'm wondering if GAF is ever gonna learn that casual/core labels only apply to players and not games.

Do we have accurate numbers on the Wii version of Blops? Everyone I know with a Wii loves the friggin game. I'd be curious to see how much they're adding to the total. Kudos Treyarch for the solid game.

Great numbers for all the systems in my opinion. It's March and people are buying video game consoles like crazy. Awesome. Also godeadspace2go.

Hammer24

Banned
Kam said:

Weren´t we talking how franchises tend to get lower sales with every iteration?

Edit:
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Fable
Bioshock
Uncharted
Assassin's Creed
Monster Hunter (Japan)
Battlefield/BC
Dead Space
Left 4 Dead
Gears of War
Just Cause
Gran Turismo (if you count prologue)
Kane & Lynch
FEAR
Fallout
Rainbow Six Vegas
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

Off the top of my head all sold better in their second/third iteration this generation than the first. To be fair, most of those are new IPs (or in Fallout's case, a re-imagination of an old IP) for this generation.

Yup, thats what I mean.

kitzkozan

Dedication Through Light said:
I think Gears3 will actually do better than Gears2. Microsoft seems to really, really, really know how to market their stuff (I think better than Sony). People will be inundated with ads and want to get it, put in some Kinect features too, to appeal to those people, and instant win. If they can make the ads not mention a story mode at all and focus on multiplayer, then people wont shy away from the third entry, I think.

Though September is Gears of War 3 versus Resistance 3...oh dear!

Gears 3 will be the best selling in the franchise,as Epic is stepping up their game to make sure the game can be as good as it can be (from a multi standpoint at least).

Also have to admit that Microsoft is awesome at marketing so that's a huge bonus.Man,now I remember the awesome marketing for the first Mass effect and how I wish Microsoft would of bought Bioware instead of EA. >:[

kitzkozan said:
Gears 3 will be the best selling in the franchise,as Epic is stepping up their game to make sure the game can be as good as it can be (from a multi standpoint at least).

Also have to admit that Microsoft is awesome at marketing so that's a huge bonus.Man,now I remember the awesome marketing for the first Mass effect and how I wish Microsoft would of bought Bioware instead of EA. >:[
After seeing how Microsoft has treated many of their first party developers like FASA, Ensemble, Rare, and others (closures, firings, etc.), that is a terrible wish.

Verendus

Banned
Hammer24 said:
Weren´t we talking how franchises tend to get lower sales with every iteration?
No, he wasn't.

DTL didn't convey his thoughts properly, but I caught on to what he was trying to say. Killzone 2 had a lot of hype behind it. It failed to establish itself as a big name. It's not surprising then that the third entry may have declined in sales or not reached a wider audience.

Not everything can or will pull off an Uncharted 2. Most games will go the opposite way when the foundation is not laid properly. It's like most people say, the first impression counts. Even with Uncharted 2, it had strong critical acclaim, great positive response and that helped it expand as a franchise.

Killzone 3, on the other hand, looks to have alienated some original fans of the franchise, and not really done anything to separate itself as an amazing game that must be played. It was already an uphill battle. Failing to set everyone on fire simply works against it in this case.

alphaNoid

Banned
Megadragon15 said:
Did you just post a list wars in the form of a picture?
Thats pretty much what it is lol. Glad to hear about Sonys good numbers, seems like hardware was good all around for the most part, being it was February and all.

MS killing it, but riding that early Kinect wave still it seems. After a dry GDC, they have to be saving all their big stuff for E3, in which case ... E3 cannot come soon enough for them it seems.

Furret

Banned
Dabanton said:

Why? It's really not that great and only gets the sales it does because it's a high profile exclusive.

All of Sony's key exclusives are inferior to other comparable games, from the banal Resistance to even Gran Turismo vs. Forza Motorsport.

Apart from Team Ico Sony's first party output this gen has been weak and they're being rightly punished for it. If you want to sell better, make better games.

Microsoft has chosen to spend their money bribing exclusives rather than making them and as unpalatable as it may be its worked out a lot better for them.

Megadragon15 said:
After seeing how Microsoft has treated many of their first party developers like FASA, Ensemble, Rare, and others (closures, firings, etc.), that is a terrible wish.

Get a clue... seriously.

All these developers are still working (in new companies) and producing great games (and even for MS most of the time... how weird?).

Curufinwe

Furret said:
Why? It's really not that great and only gets the sales it does because it's a high profile exclusive.

All of Sony's key exclusives are inferior to other comparable games, from the banal Resistance to even Gran Turismo vs. Forza Motorsport.

Uncharted is their key exclusive, and GT crushes Forza in the sales department despite being inferior in your opinion and in terms of Metacritic scores.

Furret

Banned
Curufinwe said:
Uncharted is their key exclusive, and GT crushes Forza in the sales department despite being inferior in your opinion and in terms of Metacritic scores.

Uncharted is certainly their best exclusive but it never really seems to have connected with audiences the way it should, with good but never amazing sales. Which perhaps suggests a failing of marketing.

Not only did Gran Tursimo 5 review worse than Forza on Metacritic but it's sales were lower than expected.

Sony's first party games are underperforming and their first step should be to stop wasting time with the lesser ones like Killzone and Resistance and put that money into either new IP or buying exclusives.

DR2K

Banned
V_Arnold said:
Gears 3 will most likely outsell (in US) all those games listed on the PS3vs360 trolling picture - combined.
Maybe not if Uncharted 3 becomes an instant million seller in the US this time. Could happen.

Whatever makes you feel better.

Dunlop

Curufinwe said:

not that I care either way, but what were the combined sales of all Forza games for the 360 that were sold in the timespan it took GT5 to come out?

Furret said:

Apart from Team Ico Sony's first party output this gen has been weak and they're being rightly punished for it. If you want to sell better, make better games.

Microsoft has chosen to spend their money bribing exclusives rather than making them and as unpalatable as it may be its worked out a lot better for them.
All of this is obviously in your opinion right? K. Whats weak to you is a classic to another.

One of the main reasons i see no point in owning a 360 is because of sonys first party games. I pretty much like them all. And new ones pop up all the time. Then i have the benefit of all these 3rd party games to choose from.

All of this pertains to me only and is my opinion.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Dabanton said:
Maybe it's because it's constantly vocalised by a lot of people on here. But the all round vitriol over people liking the game is hilarious.

Just go through this thread and read the replies to the news that Black Ops is now the best selling US game of all time.
Maybe they don't like it due to the number of valid reasons to not like it? There are quite a few reasons to dislike Black Ops other than "it's popular". That argument of yours is incredibly stupid because it completely dismisses all other issues people might have with a game. In the case of the Call of Duty franchise there are quite a few issues and all of them are far more important that the game's popularity.

Watchtower said:
I think what you were trying to say, is that anomaly is one of the dumbest traits in mankind's history!
Don't be a moron and don't put words in my mouth.

Huff

Banned
Furret said:

Not sure if serious.

Team Ico has had zero output this gen, which makes me think you have no idea what you're talking about.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Furret said:
Uncharted is certainly their best exclusive but it never really seems to have connected with audiences the way it should, with good but never amazing sales. Which perhaps suggests a failing of marketing.

Not only did Gran Tursimo 5 review worse than Forza on Metacritic but it's sales were lower than expected.

Sony's first party games are underperforming and their first step should be to stop wasting time with the lesser ones like Killzone and Resistance and put that money into either new IP or buying exclusives.

What. The. Fuck.

Seriously, what goggles are you wearing?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
pvpness said:
Do we have accurate numbers on the Wii version of Blops? Everyone I know with a Wii loves the friggin game. I'd be curious to see how much they're adding to the total. Kudos Treyarch for the solid game.
Yeah I wish we had this breakdown, I think the Wii version gathered a decent amount of positive attention and is still being supported with patches which suggests that they didn't send it to die and that they feel they have a community worth supporting.

403k for PS3 seems about in line with the rise of the rest. Very unexpected. I guess february is now US's version of Golden Week.

Kung Fu Grip said:
"Under one-fifth of PS3 sales included bundles with Sony’s Move controller, suggesting another modest month (we have chosen not to subscribe to peripheral data). Over 2/3 of Xbox 360 sales included bundles with Microsoft’s Kinect peripheral, as Xbox 360 Kinect console bundles again outsold PS3 Move console bundles by over 5:1," commented Pachter. "We note that the top selling Kinect software titles easily outsold their Move counterparts."

I said wow. I didn't give it much importance around Christmas, but I didn't expect that ratio to actually hold. That's not good at all for Move. This is the same scenario like the PS3/360 in Japan, but reversed. Sony should definitely worry.

And 2/3? That is up from 50% so Kinect's actually increasing. I honestly didn't expect this either.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Dunlop said:
not that I care either way, but what were the combined sales of all Forza games for the 360 that were sold in the timespan it took GT5 to come out?

Dude whatever way you look at GT5 CRUSHED Forza in sales, it has probably already out sold all of the Forza's combined.

But that being said Forza is still an amazing game.

Furret

Banned
Kung Fu Grip said:
All of this is obviously in your opinion right? K. Whats weak to you is a classic to another.

One of the main reasons i see no point in owning a 360 is because of sonys first party games. I pretty much like them all. And new ones pop up all the time. Then i have the benefit of all these 3rd party games to choose from.

All of this pertains to me only and is my opinion.

I personally have little interest in any of those games other than Uncharted.

I was basing my comments largely on reviews and comments from friends/forums.

Killzone and Resistance, to use the most obvious examples, aren't bad games - they even seem to be quite good ones - but they're no more than that. There's half a dozen first person shooters that both score better and sell better than both of them.

Sony shouldn't be wasting their time with franchises where the games are "okay" or sell "quite well".

GeoramA

GhaleonEB said:
The PS3, Wii and 360 all had exceptional months. Pretty good sign for the year to come.
400+K for each of the big 3 in February. Pretty incredible.

You wouldn't know from all the bickering in here.

evolution

Furret said:

Killzone and Resistance, to use the most obvious examples, aren't bad games - they even seem to be quite good ones - but they're no more than that. There's half a dozen first person shooters that both score better and sell better than both of them.

Sony shouldn't be wasting their time with franchises where the games are "okay" or sell "quite well".
As long as the games are good, which most of them are, they certainly should keep publishing them.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Furret said:

What is that illusive 3rd party exclusive for microsoft that sold bajillions? I can only think of gears.

And in any case, it is my opinion that your opinion sucks. Like. Seriously wth is wrong with you. Those games you show so much disdain for sold millions. And they are good games. Did they make a billion dollars like COD? no, but they still sold millions each. On a single platform. You are telling me that Sony should stop making perfectly good games?

Zoe

Watchtower said:
I said wow. I didn't give it much importance around Christmas, but I didn't expect that ratio to actually hold. That's not good at all for Move. This is the same scenario like the PS3/360 in Japan, but reversed. Sony should definitely worry.

I'm not sure if they were still producing the Move bundle after the holidays. Kagari said in another thread that it's now discontinued.

nib95

Banned
Furret said:

Such has always been the case with Playstation exclusives. Games like God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5, Metal Gear Solid 4 etc have pretty much all sold similar to their predecessors on the PS2 only with a far lower install base. I really think some of you are grossly exaggerating things. Though I won't deny that KZ3's sales are imo well under par.

Huff

Banned
Furret said:

If every publisher took that stance, there would be very few games on the market.

Furret

Banned
evolution said:
As long as the games are good, which most of them are, they certainly should keep publishing them.

But they're not good. They're okay. They're all right. They're not bad.

That's how both franchises have always reviewed and I've never seen anyone sane suggest that either are anywhere near the best in their genre.

Being mediocre, even being above average, is not a reason to continue a franchise for three games each.

Furret said:

Why? Sony's always had a good mix of just "ok" titles and big games like GT. Unless you mean they should concentrate on replacing them with better versions, they certainly do not need to stop.

If anything it's MS and Nintendo that needs to step up in this department.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Furret said:
But they're not good. They're okay. They're all right. They're not bad.

That's how both franchises have always reviewed and I've never seen anyone sane suggest that either are anywhere near the best in their genre.

Now you are just insane. If they are not the best of the genre then they are mediocre?

What kind of a world do you live in?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
wow @ Furret's comments..

evolution said:

Exactly.

I honestly think some people seem to be inferring that it would be better for Sony to drop all their current first party titles becuase they are not selling bajillions and concentrate on creating 1 or 2 mega block busters, f that strategy seriously, if third place means we continue to get great software line-ups like we are getting from Sony this year then I hope they stay in third place, I love my 360 but God damn is their retail software library looking drab these days, saying that though at least XBLA has been on fire.

Zoe said:
I'm not sure if they were still producing the Move bundle after the holidays. Kagari said in another thread that it's now discontinued.

Well, now that I did not know. That's really fast. I'm actually not sure how to take that news.

They couldn't possibly be giving up this early, so I guess it means they believe the PS3/Move bundle were hurting its image and PS3 sales by making it appear too expensive?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Jay Sosa said:
WTF at Marvel..how did that happen? Did they give away free copies?
If they gave away free copies people would still pay $60 for the most hype and greatest fighting game of all time. 5 mill lets go.

bobbytkc said:
Now you are just insane. If they are not the best of the genre then they are mediocre?

What kind of a world do you live in?

black and white baby.

What they need to do is give those franchises some rest, especially if it isn't really working out for them

pvpness

poppabk said:
Yeah I wish we had this breakdown, I think the Wii version gathered a decent amount of positive attention and is still being supported with patches which suggests that they didn't send it to die and that they feel they have a community worth supporting.
That's what initially sparked my curiosity. They seem to be supporting the community and the game itself is probably the most solid entry they have on the system yet so I'd really like to know. I'm not finding anything reliable out there though.

Top Bottom