• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2011 [Update 4: PS3 Hardware, TONS Of Games]

nib95 said:
Why not? It's part and parcel of sales talk. Just as talking about NPD numbers or games/publishers NOT related to February's numbers is too.

So I should go into a media create thread and start posting NPD numbers out of no where? No, that is not allowed here. Trying to argue about NPD sales by using worldwide sales in comparison is silly at best.

Canova said:
So you refuse to see things in a broader perspective, instead you choose to see things within the US border, I see.

typical

You mean I'm posting on topic? Typical. Funny thing is that the majority of people who go off topic in NPD threads about worldwide numbers are the folks who don't even live in the NPD reporting area. If people want to discuss worldwide sales, there is nothing stopping you from making a thread to discuss them.

I'm not going off topic and looking at the broader perspective because it doesn't matter... at all. If the PS3 outsells the 360 in France... who cares besides people living in France? I live in the US so I care about sales where I live. I'm still going to go to the store tomorrow and see the exact same games on the shelves. This gen is set in stone. Nothing will change and no one cares who is in second place worldwide. You really think third parties are going to stop making games?

Where the systems are worldwide only matters to fanboys. To everyone else, life will go on exactly the same as it has for the last two years.

Canova

Banned
Psychotext said:
Aside from the fact that this is an NPD thread and worldwide stuff is rather off topic....

it's not off-topic, NPD is part of the sales discussion as a whole. Some people need to be reminded, that all this is still relative to the overall picture.

Psychotext said:
.. the last quarter had the 360 and the PS3 ship IDENTICAL amounts.

360 and PS3 shipped identical number even after massive 360 advantage over PS3 in the US in Nov-Dec (Nov gap = 800K, Dec gap = 600K)

Psychotext said:
What's the point of trying to trend using last year's numbers when the landscape has changed significantly since (Move, Kinect and 360 S released since then, and last year's figures were hot on the heels of the PS3 Slim / price cut).

well the fact that PS3 number improved YoY from last year

Zen

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
So I should go into a media create thread and start posting NPD numbers out of no where? No, that is not allowed here. Trying to argue about NPD sales by using worldwide sales in comparison is silly at best.

If it permutates naturally out of the conversation, sure. The difference is that there isn't a media create thread version of you around to throw a little bitch fest everytime it happens.

Thankfully those threads get to stay organic and on topic without you.

szaromir

Banned
Bulletstorm sales were great in February. 300k in the first week is a very good achievement for a new IP. Some past reference - it took Gears of War 1 three weeks to reach 1 million worldwide. I doubt the March sales will carry the momentum as the concept of the game has very limited appeal (IMO) and they will plummet, but maybe I'm wrong.

Cheech

GarthVaderUK said:
Indeed, I've barely seen any Killzone 3 gifs.

Sony has cut back their viral marketing budget.

Patapwn said:
LOLWUT?

Most people find the Kevin Butler ads funny and enjoyable even if they're non-gamers. Something I can't say about the 99% other ads that exist...

Nevermind.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Curufinwe said:
Well it should have considering KZ2 sold 323K in just two days.

Why should it have? lot of people didn't like the second one despite the better sales so naturally not as many ponied up for the sequel. Nobody has realistically compared Killzone to Halo since the 1st one stumbled out of the gate and failed. The sequel did better and this one looks to continue a similar trend. Outside of people trying to champion their idiot console war agenda, why should these KZ numbers surprise anyone? I don't get sales-Gaf sometimes. Its like your expectation and reality are so very far apart that the former is pretty much a fairy tale.

Furret said:
But they're not good. They're okay. They're all right. They're not bad.

That's how both franchises have always reviewed and I've never seen anyone sane suggest that either are anywhere near the best in their genre.

Heh. Luckily, you don't read Croatian gaming press.

Canova said:
it's not off-topic, NPD is part of the sales discussion as a whole. Some people need to be reminded, that all this is still relative to the overall picture.

360 and PS3 shipped identical number even after massive 360 advantage over PS3 in the US in Nov-Dec (Nov gap = 800K, Dec gap = 600K)

well the fact that PS3 number improved YoY from last year

Dude like others have said, this is an NPD thread, but if you want to talk world-wide it's clear to me you have no freaking idea what's considered a win or a loss in terms of finances and sales. If I had 10 Gold coins and you had 11 Silver Coins, you have more coins, but in the end I beat you quite badly.

To put in a better perspective....if to start out, you had a whole pile of 150 Gold coins, and I only had 25 Gold Coins but over a period of 5 years, you ended up with 53 Gold coins(while wracking up a debt of 53 gold coins also) and I ended up with only 50 Gold coins...not only did I rob you silly, but you went bankrupt!

The fact that you ended up making 3 more coins than me in the end, doesn't mean I didn't just absolutely cripple you in the end.

And if you are going to sit there and spout YoY numbers.....then you need to be considering the above facts. Because YoY....Sony's way down going back to where each company came from and Microsoft is way up.

Huff

Banned
Watchtower said:
Because the 360's already doubled its predecessor's market share? The 360 grew MS's share, the PS3 even if it edges it....shrunk Sony's market share compared to both their PS and PS2 years.

If you just want to look at the numbers taken out of context then by all means, celebrate if and when that happens, but in reality, that won't be any sort of a win for Sony.

Having a monopoly is never good for the consume. Not that it was a monopoly but still, the more competition the better.

Sony is still looked at as the "hardcore" system. Having MS on their tales and leading them in NA should push Sony to continue to develop and produce awesome experiences. And MS isn't going to just let their lead slip away.

I don't understand why people would want either to fail. I personally don't like the direction MS is going, but I don't want them as a game developer and producer to bite the bullet.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Watchtower said:
If I had 10 Gold coins and you had 11 Silver Coins, you have more coins, but in the end I beat you quite badly.

To put in a better perspective....if to start out, you had a a whole pile of 150 Gold coins, and I only had 25 Gold Coins but over a period of 5 years, you ended up with 53 Gold coins(while wracking up a debt of 53 gold coins also) and I ended up with only 50 Gold coins...not only did I rob you silly, but you went bankrupt!

The fact that you ended up making 3 more coins than me in the end, doesn't mean I didn't just absolutely cripple you in the end.
Goddamn...no more analogies. Please, we do not need to relive the nightmare of the Geohot threads. =[

*Crawls into a corner and cries*

Watchtower said:
403k for PS3 seems about in line with the rise of the rest. Very unexpected. I guess february is now US's version of Golden Week.

I said wow. I didn't give it much importance around Christmas, but I didn't expect that ratio to actually hold. That's not good at all for Move. This is the same scenario like the PS3/360 in Japan, but reversed. Sony should definitely worry.

And 2/3? That is up from 50% so Kinect's actually increasing. I honestly didn't expect this either.
Why did you use my name for pachters quote?

Furret said:
I personally have little interest in any of those games other than Uncharted.I was basing my comments largely on reviews and comments from friends/forums.Killzone and Resistance, to use the most obvious examples, aren't bad games - they even seem to be quite good ones - but they're no more than that. There's half a dozen first person shooters that both score better and sell better than both of them.Sony shouldn't be wasting their time with franchises where the games are "okay" or sell "quite well".

So sony shouldn't bother investing in new IP's but instead rely only on 3rd party games because their games only sell "quite well"? (I guess 1 to 2 million is quite well in your book).

Glad your not in this industry.

shintoki said:
Goddamn...no more analogies. Please, we do not need to relive the nightmare of the Geohot threads. =[

Well you can't speak college economics to a high school student that's just figuring out what finance is.

Wait........damn it!

Curufinwe

truly101 said:
Why should it have? lot of people didn't like the second one despite the better sales so naturally not as many ponied up for the sequel. Nobody has realistically compared Killzone to Halo since the 1st one stumbled out of the gate and failed. The sequel did better and this one looks to continue a similar trend. Outside of people trying to champion their idiot console war agenda, why should these KZ numbers surprise anyone? I don't get sales-Gaf sometimes. Its like your expectation and reality are so very far apart that the former is pretty much a fairy tale.

It's not unrealistic to expect a sequel to a highly rated PS3-exclusive shooter to sell more, not less, than its predecessor when there's almost double the number of PS3s in American homes now compared to two years ago.

What's Halo got to do with anything? I'm just comparing KZ2 to KZ3, and it seems like you're the one with a console wars agenda.

szaromir

Banned
truly101 said:
PS3 userbase is much bigger than it was back in 2009. If KZ3 was to maintain KZ2's attach ratio (or not much lower), it should have higher sales. It seems newer owners were much more interested in checking out Blops though.

shintoki said:

At least he's not using a car. But he is right. The winners are the ones who make the most profit, not the ones who sell the most units. And game publishers don't really care about worldwide numbers. They care about regions where their game is going to sell. Look at BLOPS. It's done all those insane numbers and I think it's sold what... like 50k in Japan? Only fanboys put a huge emphasis on worldwide unit numbers. To everyone else it doesn't matter.

Kung Fu Grip said:
Why did you use my name for pachters quote?

So sony shouldn't bother investing in new IP's but instead rely only on 3rd party games because their games only sell "quite well"? (I guess 1 to 2 million is quite well in your book).

Glad your not in this industry.

I just copied that part of your thread and used the quote icon. Sometimes it's easier. Don't worry we know it wasn't you that originally came up with that ;p

Canova

Banned
Watchtower said:
Dude like others have said, this is an NPD thread, but if you want to talk world-wide it's clear to me you have no freaking idea what's considered a win or a loss in terms of finances and sales. If I had 10 Gold coins and you had 11 Silver Coins, you have more coins, but in the end I beat you quite badly.

To put in a better perspective....if to start out, you had a whole pile of 150 Gold coins, and I only had 25 Gold Coins but over a period of 5 years, you ended up with 53 Gold coins(while wracking up a debt of 53 gold coins also) and I ended up with only 50 Gold coins...not only did I rob you silly, but you went bankrupt!

And if you are going to sit there and spout YoY numbers.....then you need to be considering the above facts. Because YoY....Sony's way down going back to where each company came from and Microsoft is way up.

Unless you have the facts of what it takes for MS and Sony to (R&D and) produce 360 and PS3 (profit number per unit), then your analogy is useless.

I'm going by PS3 yoy 12% increase from Pacther number. 360 showed greater increase, but PS3 is still improving nonetheless.

Curufinwe said:
It's not unrealistic to expect a sequel to a highly rated PS3-exclusive shooter to sell more, not less, than its predecessor when there's almost double the number of PS3s in American homes now compared to two years ago.

What's Halo got to do with anything? I'm just comparing KZ2 to KZ3, and it seems like you're the one with a console wars agenda.

Even if that sequel rated lower/has negative word of mouth?

Then they dont have the predecessor's base to fall on since they messed with the game in their opinion.

TrAcEr_x90 said:
I cant believe bulletstorm sold more than killzone 3....

Bulletstorm is available on three platform though.

So it's not that bad, after all. Unless you expected Kz3 be become million seller from the get-go.

alphaNoid

Banned
Watchtower said:

I get what you're saying. The fact that Sony went from what? 120 million PS2s (and counting) sold world wide to 3rd place behind both Nintendo and Microsoft, in 1 generation is a major loss in that regard.

Even if Sony inches ahead of MS in WW sales by the end of this gen, MS has taken away so much of the marketshare and consumer mind that that ultimately it still ends up being a massive upset in MS's favor. Really though, doesn't matter to consumers like us .. only fans of either brand are going to stand atop mountains when its over and done with and try and convince themselves or others who 'won' and why.

In the meantime, Sony and MS are going at eachother like pit bulls and the consumer wins. When 1 of the 2 completely dominates... complacency sets in and the consumer misses out (at least, I think).

Either way, good month for all 3 hardware wise.

Road

pvpness said:
Do we have accurate numbers on the Wii version of Blops? Everyone I know with a Wii loves the friggin game. I'd be curious to see how much they're adding to the total. Kudos Treyarch for the solid game.
No accurate numbers.

By January, PS3+360 was at 11.7 million. 13.7 million by February and having sold at least 800k this month overall mean the WII+PC+NDS total was at most 1.2 million by January.

Canova said:
i360 and PS3 shipped identical number even after massive 360 advantage over PS3 in the US in Nov-Dec (Nov gap = 800K, Dec gap = 600K)
...you do realise that Microsoft were at their absolute limit for shipping product right? As evidenced by the shortages in December, January and to a certain extent in February too. At some point the supply in the channel has to be replenished.

If I were you I'd take your own advice and wait until we get the next set of financial results / shipment figures. Until then anything you say outside of discussion Japanese / US figures is nothing more than speculation, and poorly informed speculation at that. I'm not sure you quite grasp what effect existing stock has on both Sony's and Microsoft shipments.

ZoddGutts

Such a shame that Sony spend a shitload of money to a mediocre Franchise/Dev Team. Would love to see what Sony Bend an actual great Dev do with a huge budget and support on the PS3. :(

Oh well their Uncharted game looks good though. Also the tech used in Killzone 2/3 games is being used in other games so it wasn't an entire loss.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
szaromir said:
Bulletstorm sales were great in February. 300k in the first week is a very good achievement for a new IP. Some past reference - it took Gears of War 1 three weeks to reach 1 million worldwide. I doubt the March sales will carry the momentum as the concept of the game has very limited appeal (IMO) and they will plummet, but maybe I'm wrong.
Gears of War sold 1 million on a single platform in Nov NPD of its launch. It sold another 815k the following month. Bulletstorm would have to buck some major trends to sell more next month than this month. For comparison of a new IP in February, Dante's Inferno sold 460k in the same period last year.

Huff

Banned
poppabk said:
Gears of War sold 1 million on a single platform in Nov NPD of its launch. It sold another 815k the following month. Bulletstorm would have to buck some major trends to sell more next month than this month. For comparison of a new IP in February, Dante's Inferno sold 460k in the same period last year.

Bulletstorm had a lot stacked up against it. No online or split screen. Plus the negative stories all over the news. I doubt most parents would get this game for there kids. Hope it does better WW.

EagleEyes

szaromir said:
The point is clear - to shift attention away from the main topic, which is US sales as it appears to hurt some people deeply. Quoting European sales is an especially effective strategy as there's nothing to quote and everything to speculate. Neverending cycle since early 2007.
This should be quoted in every NPD thread from now on. It continues to amaze me that every month the NPD thread is the only sales thread on this forum where worldwide numbers are always brought up. Why is that? I think we all know why really.

TrAcEr_x90 said:
I cant believe bulletstorm sold more than killzone 3....

Sometimes the better game sells more. Having played both now, I couldn't care less if they ever make another Killzone game, but I'll be pissed if there's never a followup to Bulletstorm.

poppabk said:

Dante's Inferno is pretty fucking awesome.

szaromir

Banned
poppabk said:
I rememered this news specifically (another milestone was 3M in 10 weeks), so it's possible with 10 more days it sold 1M in the US alone.
Obviously Bulletstorm is not the second Gears of War for Epic.

Tabz

Kinspiracy said:
Sometimes the better game sells more. Having played both now, I couldn't care less if they ever make another Killzone game, but I'll be pissed if there's never a followup to Bulletstorm.

Going by your logic...Black ops is the best game ever.

Curufinwe

Infinite Justice said:
Even if that sequel rated lower/has negative word of mouth?

Then they dont have the predecessor's base to fall on since they messed with the game in their opinion.

KZ3 is rated lower, but KZ2 had a ton of negative word of mouth at launch due to the sluggish controls which were fixed for the sequel. It's not like KZ2 was perfect and everyone who played it loved it.

Kinspiracy said:
Sometimes the better game sells more.

BS may well be the better game, but it sold more than KZ3 because it was on two platforms.

Huff

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Wow. It's incredible the fantasy worlds some people here live in. Why play games when your reality is infinitely more fanciful?

Would you consider MS's strategy to focus on Kinect something the hardcore gamer wants? Way to pick the smallest thing in my comment to focus on. Yes you can play all the 3rd party games on the 360, but the PS3 is staying true to the hardcore gamer more than the other two.

I have a 360 and kinect sitting in front of me, so what fantasy land are you referring to?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
BroHuffman said:
Would you consider MS's strategy to focus on Kinect something the hardcore gamer wants? Way to pick the smallest thing in my comment to focus on. Yes you can play all the 3rd party games on the 360, but the PS3 is staying true to the hardcore gamer more than the other two.

I have a 360 and kinect sitting in front of me, so what fantasy land are you referring to?
Oh Christ.

Why did you take away our laughing emotes EviLore? WHY?

Huff

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
Oh Christ.

Why did you take away our laughing emotes EviLore? WHY?

Thanks for that intelligent response. Instead tell me why I'm wrong. Thats how discussion works, right?

Canova said:
Unless you have the facts of what it takes for MS and Sony to (R&D and) produce 360 and PS3 (profit number per unit), then your analogy is useless.

I'm going by PS3 yoy 12% increase from Pacther number. 360 showed greater increase, but PS3 is still improving nonetheless.

It's been well documented and widely known Sony's squandered their entire profits, not just from the PS2, but also from the PSX days because of the PS3 with them finally breaking even and making some profit on the hardware withing the past year or so.

They basically spent the same amount of money to introduce the sequel to the most successful console in history as Microsoft did to enter the video game market and in the end still lost half of their market while their competitors doubled theirs and made profits. Their initial hope was that all that investment would eventually help them increase their market share well beyond the 120 million units of the PS2(now 150 million units). It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure I remember them spouting off numbers in the realm of 250,000 million PS3s as their sales goal when Ken was still running the ship prior to launch.

So when you want to talk about "perspective".....you need to be considering that fact when you are talking about the PS2 "winning" world wide just because their units may soon edge out the 360 in terms of world wide numbers.

Sony "winning" the world wide unit number is basically winning the battle but losing the war.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
BroHuffman said:
Thanks for that intelligent response. Instead tell me why I'm wrong. Thats how discussion works, right?
How is anybody supposed to intelligently rebut "but the PS3 is staying true to the hardcore gamer more than the other two"?

It's a stupid fanboyish statement that will only get a stupid fanboyish response or ridicule. I choose ridicule.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Wow higher than I thought.

There was a bundled free game and also gift cards for $50 to $100 off for pretty much the entire month. I think Sony is trying to push units fast to hit their fiscal numbers.

Jay Sosa

enzo_gt said:
If they gave away free copies people would still pay $60 for the most hype and greatest fighting game of all time. 5 mill lets go.

Seems like it, I'm just stunned because I didn't know this game has so much sales potential. I alway thought that fighting games are somewhat of a niche market (with some exceptions like Tekken back in the PS 1 days).

Good for them and time for me to see what's the fuzz about.

maeda

I have been thinking a lot about Kinect's success. Isn't its success kind of nullifies the argument of so many negatively biased towards Nintendo people, which states that after wii Nintendo is in for a long decline, since "casual players" won't be compelled to upgrade to its successor, even if it offers a new gimmick?

Top Bottom