• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2011 [Update 4: PS3 Hardware, TONS Of Games]

nib95

Banned
Furret said:
But they're not good. They're okay. They're all right. They're not bad.

That's how both franchises have always reviewed and I've never seen anyone sane suggest that either are anywhere near the best in their genre.

Being mediocre, even being above average, is not a reason to continue a franchise for three games each.

What an idiotic post. Usually I dislike posts like mine that criticise a post but don't explain why, but I honestly don't even think yours warrants a proper one.

Furret said:
But they're not good. They're okay. They're all right. They're not bad.

That's how both franchises have always reviewed and I've never seen anyone sane suggest that either are anywhere near the best in their genre.

Being mediocre, even being above average, is not a reason to continue a franchise for three games each.

And even if that is the case, what is wrong with having games that are just OK? I give you that they probably should get rid of either Resistance or Killzone since there is way too much redundancy, but Sony typically puts out a good mix of games in genres that are not very popular right now.

That's a good thing if you ask me. Stuff like Ico, GOW, Uncharted, Motorstorm are all unique titles that simply aren't being pushed right now in the market. This is a good thing. I wish they would be more successful so more developers would put out competitive titles.

These are the types of games I miss from the PSX era. We don't get nearly enough interesting titles like we used to with every developer just pumping out the same old games that span a narrower and narrower group of genres.

Smaller PSX era games like Jet Moto, Sled Storm, Jumping Flash and many more are seriously missed this generation. I used to play a whole bunch of "just ok" titles. But to me that's more fun than playing 5 AAA FPS by different names.

Furret

Banned
bobbytkc said:
Now you are just insane. If they are not the best of the genre then they are mediocre?

What kind of a world do you live in?

I said they were nowhere near the best in their genre, implying there are several games better than them - not just one or two.

If you think Sony concentrating all their efforts on making the sixth and seventh best shooter in the world is a sensible use of their time then I'm not sure what else to say, except aim higher in your expectations.

Zoe

Watchtower said:
Well, now that I did not know. That's really fast. I'm actually not sure how to take that news.

They couldn't possibly be giving up this early, so I guess it means they believe the PS3/Move bundle were hurting its image and PS3 sales by making it appear too expensive?

Now I wouldn't go that far. Sony is constantly changing up the bundles that they offer. They'll probably come out with a similar bundle again later in the year.

Zoe said:
Now I wouldn't go that far. Sony is constantly changing up the bundles that they offer. They'll probably come out with a similar bundle again later in the year.

Yeah but are you saying for the time being there isn't going to be a PS3/Move bundle anymore? Like none?

JaxJag

Banned
Watchtower said:
Smaller PSX era games like Jet Moto, Sled Storm, Jumping Flash and many more are seriously missed this generation. I used to play a whole bunch of "just ok" titles. But to me that's more fun than playing 5 AAA FPS by different names.
Those types of games can be found on download services. Wipeout, Trials HD,
Hydro Thunder, and stuff like Splosion Man.

The market has changed, but those types of games are still there and cheaper than ever.

nib95

Banned
Furret said:
I said they were nowhere near the best in their genre, implying there are several games better than them - not just one or two.

If you think Sony concentrating all their efforts on making the sixth and seventh best shooter in the world is a sensible use of their time then I'm not sure what else to say, except aim higher in your expectations.

What is best or what isn't is purely subjective. For me for example, Killzone 2/3 are two of my fave shooters this gen. In their own ways they offer unique gunplay and cinematic experiences not available elsewhere. KZ2 sold what? Nearly 2 million WW? That's still a solid profit. And KZ3 will most likely sell enough to turn a profit eventually as well.

Based on KZ3's sales, I would agree it is time to give the franchise a rest, but to kill it altogether would be silly. KZ4 could still be a huge title to launch the PS4 with.

Furret

Banned
nib95 said:
What is best or what isn't is purely subjective. For me for example, Killzone 2/3 are two of my fave shooters this gen. In their own ways they offer unique gunplay and cinematic experiences not available elsewhere. KZ2 sold what? Nearly 2 million WW? That's still a solid profit. And KZ3 will most likely sell enough to turn a profit eventually as well.

Based on KZ3's sales, I would agree it is time to give the franchise a rest, but to kill it altogether would be silly. KZ4 could still be a huge title to launch the PS4 with.

Fair enough I guess, at least you're advocating the same thing as me: give the franchises a rest and try something else.

I just worry that Sony has become overly fixated with these franchises and is churning them out at far too fast a rate given their relatively unremarkable sales and reviews.

Acrylic7

Ushojax said:
Killzone is doing terribly but that's what happens when you release a turd like KZ2. People aren't going to come back for another one.
KZ2 is fantastic. Best multiplayer experience I had this gen. Pretty even with Gears 1.
KZ3 is clearly the turd.

JaxJag said:
Those types of games can be found on download services. Wipeout, Trials HD,
Hydro Thunder, and stuff like Splosion Man.

The market has changed, but those types of games are still there and cheaper than ever.

Yeah whereas before they were actually full fledged games that deserved budgets and proper development they have now been pushed to side. That's horrible if you ask me.

Do you know how much injustice there is because we are almost 3.5 generations away from Wave Race and this genre still isn't a proper racing genre? Where's my next Splashdown? Instead, I'm getting 10 Motorstorms, 25 Hot Pursuits, Forza 500 and GT 1000. SCREW THAT!

Where's my spiritual sequel to Blood Wake? How about any decent game that's based on water physics? I know I'm rambling but this side of the industry always infuriates me.

Dabanton

Jive Turkey said:
Maybe they don't like it due to the number of valid reasons to not like it? There are quite a few reasons to dislike Black Ops other than "it's popular". That argument of yours is incredibly stupid because it completely dismisses all other issues people might have with a game. In the case of the Call of Duty franchise there are quite a few issues and all of them are far more important that the game's popularity.

Ok i'll agree that their are issues that could anger some people problems with the PS3 and PC versions were apparently quite high during the launch period i can say i've had no problems on the 360 version. So i'm coming from a POV of a happy customer.

The problem i do have is some people painting it as the worst game ever made and suggesting anyone who likes it must be a moron.

Furret said:
All of Sony's key exclusives are inferior to other comparable games, from the banal Resistance to even Gran Turismo vs. Forza Motorsport.

Apart from Team Ico Sony's first party output this gen has been weak and they're being rightly punished for it. If you want to sell better, make better games.

wat.

Okay, even apart from stating opinion (and from your next post justifying this statement, it's not even your opinion because you 'have no interest') as fact, what do you define as 'key exclusives'?
And what about exclusives that - by their nature - are not comparable?

SingStar is clearly a better seller than Lips.

Demons Souls is a better seller (and better critically acclaimed) than... Fable 3?

God Of War 3 sold pretty well, certainly better than, say, Ninety Nine Nights 2 which - at a stretch - is just about comparable.

Motorstorm 3 looks like it is going to do well, based on its extremely heavy marketing campaign; it will probably sell better than, fuck, I dunno, banjo nuts and bolts?

I'd be prepared to bet that Infamous 2 outsells Crackdown 2.

If the only games that interest you - and by your own admission you're not even interested in Forza or Halo - are Halo and Forza (which didn't even outsellf GT) then maybe, MAYBE, you can make that statement with a straight face, but... seriously?

That is an outright outrageous claim to try and support.

Majanew said:
Nope. Fable III outsold it.

I was under the impression Demons Souls had a long tail, whereas Fable 3 literally had no legs as backlash hit it very soon after release.

If I'm wrong, my bad.

EDIT:

Feel free to substitute Too Human for Fable 3 to make the same point.

pvpness

Infinite Justice said:
black and white baby.

What they need to do is give those franchises some rest, especially if it isn't really working out for them
If the franchises are making a profit, why would they let them rest? I agree if KZ3 doesn't make any money for them but it's too early to know that for sure.
Watchtower said:
Last is the new first. :)
Depending on who you ask second is the new first too. Weird generation.

Dabanton

Infinite Justice said:
It alienated some of the KZ2 fans and there's BLOPS so yea

Yeah i have to say the CODifcation of it was apparent when i got into the beta.
I really liked KZ2 i liked the slower pace and more weighty rhythm of it.

I'm very weird when it comes to FPS games. I usually have 4 in rotation so i like their to be differences so i can play a FPS that best suits what mood i'm in when i play.

LosDaddie

Banned
Thinking more about it, I don't think KZ3 did bad for 5 days on the market. Sure, not Halo-level sales, but still good. I think KZ3 has a good shot at charting next month.

And I'm very happy to see Dead Space 2 chart again. I loved the first game and can't wait to pick up the sequel soon.

NBA 2k11 has a nice long tail, especially for a non-football sports game in the USA. Jordan truly is the GOAT. :)

Watchtower said:
Last is the new first :)

And even when the PS3 eventually passes the X360, how much of a victory will that be?

LosDaddie said:
Thinking more about it, I don't think KZ3 did bad for 5 days on the market. Sure, not Halo-level sales, but still good. I think KZ3 has a good shot at charting next month.

And I'm very happy to see Dead Space 2 chart again. I loved the first game and can't wait to pick up the sequel soon.

NBA 2k11 has a nice long tail, especially for a non-football sports game in the USA. Jordan truly is the GOAT. :)

And even when the PS3 eventually passes the X360, how much of a victory will that be?

Earth shattering. Obviously. It would change everything ;p

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Dabanton said:
The problem i do have is some people painting it as the worst game ever made and suggesting anyone who likes it must be a moron.
This is the internet. The land of extremes. If something isn't to your liking it's the biggest pile of shit ever.

Majanew

Banned
LosDaddie said:
A victory only to Sony and the die-hard Sony fans. By time PS3 passes 360 in WW sales (if it does), the next Xbox will be out. NA is enough to keep the lead over PS3, seeing that Europe is pretty close and Japan is ... well, it's Japan.

285.6k for Bulletstorm - is that good? I wouldn't have thought so but just seen it came out on 22nd Feb and not earlier so I guess it should get a decent bump in March? Not to mention, you know, the rest of the world sales...

"Under one-fifth of PS3 sales included bundles with Sony’s Move controller, suggesting another modest month (we have chosen not to subscribe to peripheral data). Over 2/3 of Xbox 360 sales included bundles with Microsoft’s Kinect peripheral, as Xbox 360 Kinect console bundles again outsold PS3 Move console bundles by over 5:1," commented Pachter. "We note that the top selling Kinect software titles easily outsold their Move counterparts."
BBztb.jpg

And Sony's hardware number wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been, so I'm not sure what they have to gain by not giving it out considering everyone else in the room showed theirs.

V_Arnold

steverulez said:
285.6k for Bulletstorm - is that good? I wouldn't have thought so but just seen it came out on 22nd Feb and not earlier so I guess it should get a decent bump in March? Not to mention, you know, the rest of the world sales...

Well, it looks like FPS games not only compete against each other (meaning other releases released in the same timeframe), but against the ongoing Call of Duty episodes as well. I am pretty sure a lot of new buyers wanted an FPS next to their PS3/360, and the choice was made: COD:BO, not Bulletstorm or KZ3. That must hurt.

Majanew said:
A victory only to Sony and the die-hard Sony fans. By time PS3 passes 360 in WW sales, the next Xbox will be out. NA is enough to keep the lead over PS3, seeing that Europe is pretty close and Japan is ... well, it's Japan.

Actually in the grand scheme of things, even if that happens overall, it's a pretty major failure for Sony considering where they are coming from. One doubled their previous market share and the other had it cut in half. While the third guy quadrupled it.

I can't see the PS3 hitting much over 80 million world wide even if they do support it for another 5 years. That's a big drop from the PS2's 150 mil.

nib95

Banned
V_Arnold said:
Well, it looks like FPS games not only compete against each other (meaning other releases released in the same timeframe), but against the ongoing Call of Duty episodes as well. I am pretty sure a lot of new buyers wanted an FPS next to their PS3/360, and the choice was made: COD:BO, not Bulletstorm or KZ3. That must hurt.

Pretty much this. KZ3 and Bulletstorm got trounced by Blops. I actually really like Blops, but honestly, now I'm starting to think it's a huge negative to the industry.

MightyHedgehog said:
"Under one-fifth of PS3 sales included bundles with Sony’s Move controller, suggesting another modest month (we have chosen not to subscribe to peripheral data). Over 2/3 of Xbox 360 sales included bundles with Microsoft’s Kinect peripheral, as Xbox 360 Kinect console bundles again outsold PS3 Move console bundles by over 5:1," commented Pachter. "We note that the top selling Kinect software titles easily outsold their Move counterparts."
BBztb.jpg

And Sony's hardware number wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been, so I'm not sure what they have to gain by not giving it out considering everyone else in the room showed theirs.

Well someone said earlier, it could be consistency. If they talk about it now, during a good month, but stay quiet during bad months, it will be pretty obvious what it means.

lowrider007 said:
Dude whatever way you look at GT5 CRUSHED Forza in sales, it has probably already out sold all of the Forza's combined.

There is no way this is possible. No way in hell. Please remember, you are in a thread about NPD numbers not worldwide numbers. Please show us NPD data on how GT5 has "crushed" all three Forza games combined. I would love to see this.

Canova

Banned
LosDaddie said:

It won't be much, but let's be fair, all this time 360 fanboys are gloating the numbers, but then when PS3 will finally eclipse 360 suddenly it doesn't matter anymore?

believe it or not, unless 360 ships at least 2.2M from Jan-Mar, PS3 will still close the gap

Last year's number, Jan-Mar 2010 Worldwide

360 shipped 1.5M
PS3 shipped 2.2M

As of now the gap is 3M, we'll revisit again this number come earning season (Apr-May)

Majanew

Banned
Watchtower said:
Actually in the grand scheme of things, even if that happens overall, it's a pretty major failure for Sony considering where they are coming from. One doubled their previous market share and the other had it cut in half. While the third guy quadrupled it.

I can't see the PS3 hitting much over 80 million world wide even if they do support it for another 5 years. That's a big drop from the PS2's 150 mil.
Realistically, yeah, it is a failure. Won't be for Sony though when they talk about it from behind closed doors.

nib95

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
There is no way this is possible. No way in hell. Please remember, you are in a thread about NPD numbers not worldwide numbers. Please show us NPD data on how GT5 has "crushed" all three Forza games combined. I would love to see this.

Pretty sure he was talking worldwide. Which is infinitely more important anyway.

Canova said:
It won't be much, but let's be fair, all this time 360 fanboys are gloating the numbers, but then when PS3 will finally eclipse 360 suddenly it doesn't matter anymore?

believe it or not, unless 360 ship 2.2M from Jan-Mar, PS3 will still close the gap

360 shipped 1.5M
PS3 shipped 2.2M

As of now the gap is 3M, we'll revisit again this number come earning season (Apr-May)

PS3 will never catch up to the 360... ever. They are 10 million behind and being outsold month by month. That's like saying the 360 will catch up to the Wii. Just isn't going to happen.

Oh, and please keep on topic. This is an NPD thread, not worldwide.

nib95 said:
Pretty sure he was talking worldwide. Which is infinitely more important anyway.

Why would he be talking about worldwide sales in an NPD thread?

Zen

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
PS3 will never catch up to the 360... ever. They are 10 million behind and being outsold month by month. That's like saying the 360 will catch up to the Wii. Just isn't going to happen.

Stop your condecending attitude maybe? Because NPD and the world are not mutually exclusive realms, so it's only natural that the topic of worlwide sales might pop up in a thread on the topic of area specific sales. Just like it happens from time to time in the Media Crate threads or elsewere.

But the real truth is you just don't like the worldwide numbers for what they represent. There's little real reason to muzzle discussion that happens to permutate to considering this data in the larger context (just like we look at month over month, yearly, and total units solds within the region).

Keep fighting the good fight.

nib95

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:

Why not? It's part and parcel of sales talk. Just as talking about NPD numbers or games/publishers NOT related to February's numbers is too.

Canova said:

believe it or not, unless 360 ship 2.2M from Jan-Mar, PS3 will still close the gap

360 shipped 1.5M
PS3 shipped 2.2M

Because the 360's already doubled its predecessor's market share? The 360 grew MS's share, the PS3 even if it edges it....shrunk Sony's market share compared to both their PS and PS2 years.

If you just want to look at the numbers taken out of context then by all means, celebrate if and when that happens, but in reality, that won't be any sort of a win for Sony.

apana

Banjoman said:
How many copies did original DK Country sell? And 2 and 3?

I'm not sure about US, but worldwide the original was huge. I think it has sold close to 9 million by now. There was a big drop off for 2 and 3. I feel DKCR will probably be in the 7-8 million range when all is said and done.

Canova

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:

So you refuse to see things in a broader perspective, instead you choose to see things within the US border, I see.

typical

Curufinwe

Furret said:
Uncharted is certainly their best exclusive but it never really seems to have connected with audiences the way it should, with good but never amazing sales. Which perhaps suggests a failing of marketing.

Not only did Gran Tursimo 5 review worse than Forza on Metacritic but it's sales were lower than expected.

Link to these expected sales numbers, then link to the LTD sales numbers for GT5 that are lower than them.

Canova said:
believe it or not, unless 360 ships at least 2.2M from Jan-Mar, PS3 will still close the gap

360 shipped 1.5M
PS3 shipped 2.2M

Aside from the fact that this is an NPD thread and worldwide stuff is rather off topic... the last quarter had the 360 and the PS3 ship IDENTICAL amounts. What's the point of trying to trend using last year's numbers when the landscape has changed significantly since (Move, Kinect and 360 S released since then, and last year's figures were hot on the heels of the PS3 Slim / price cut).

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
steverulez said:
Bulletstorm and Killzone 3 have been the two big, is it bomba or success in this thread. And it all depends on how you look at it(In most cases, probably the bias of the poster).

I think the best way to say it is, both companies are probably disappointed with the sales they got. But both companies/developers will come out fine where the title isn't a bomba, just another solid success.

szaromir

Banned
Psychotext said:
Aside from the fact that this is an NPD thread and worldwide stuff is rather off topic... the last quarter had the 360 and the PS3 ship IDENTICAL amounts. What's the point of trying to trend using last year's numbers when the landscape has changed significantly since (Move, Kinect and 360 S released since then, and last year's figures were hot on the heels of the PS3 Slim / price cut).
The point is clear - to shift attention away from the main topic, which is US sales as it appears to hurt some people deeply. Quoting European sales is an especially effective strategy as there's nothing to quote and everything to speculate. Neverending cycle since early 2007.

Top Bottom