• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2012 [Up 3: Kingdoms Of Amalur, Syndicate, Asura]

Nintendo was able to weather the financial cost of such a drastic price drop, though the effects are still being felt. Sony is arguably not in the same kind of fiscal position to do so.

A price drop *could* happen, of course, but earliest I could see it would be November... out of necessity.

Wasn't the first PS3 price drop around the 6 month mark?

fernoca

Hardware numbers for the 360 in the OP are completely fucked up?
Also missing 3DS and PS3 numbers.

Quite a few people have said that; don't know if it's the format..or something.
It looks to me like this:

Pi8pD.png

(^image^)

Don't know if it looks different to others.

Gaborn

Hardware numbers for the 360 in the OP are completely fucked up?
Also missing 3DS and PS3 numbers.

What? How is 426k messed up, and how are they missing?:

Hardware
Xbox 360 - 426K (-20.4%)
PlayStation 3 - 360K (-11%) (PR Math)
Nintendo 3DS - 262K
Nintendo Wii - 228K (-50%)
PlayStation Vita - 225K (PR Math)
Nintendo DS - 135K

Effect

3DS was overpriced, that's why they needed a price cut. The Vita price is fine for its offerings, I don't think that's the problem.

@Revelations
The game will sell for months and be a to go title for new 3DS owners - I wouldn't be suprised to see it sell over 500k in 2012. People are to hung up on first month sales they are used from AAA home console releases, where the handheld market has shown to embrace those quality games in a Diffrent way. Call of Duty on DS never charted but they still sold there couple 100k with every release.

This is indeed something we should keep in mind. I had forgotten this tends to be case and very few games do massive numbers and those happen to be Nintendo games and even then select series. Though going forward it will be interesting to know what the 3DS/Vita budgets will be looking like. Being able to reuse console assets should help keep down cost on some of the bigger titles. I just remembered that RE:R was worked on at the same time as RE:TM. I going to assume the same developers, art, etc. Maybe Capcom is treating both games as one in terms of cost and profit?

Haha, yeah. That never gets old. The main thing Nintendo fanatics used to say to troll the PSP is that "console experiences don't belong on a handheld". But now that Nintendo's finally gotten good enough hardware to handle console experiences (kinda), that sentiment has diminshed quite a bit. There's even people defending Revelaitons' pitiful sales. Had it been a PSP game, it would probably be used as evidence as to why console experiences should be on handhelds.

What a coincidence.
People really said that? I could have sworn the main complaint was that the console experience was hampered because the PSP versions of series just didn't get it quite right because of the lack of second stick and b teams making them. Not that they shouldn't be on a handheld.

I'm very skeptical that the audience can be easily built on the 3DS, however. I feel that much of the audience we're talking about (Dudebro / early 20s males) are very averse to handheld and portable gaming. If there is one audience who seems particularly and emphatically tied to their 50'' Plasma TVs, it is the Dudebro audience.

That does not mean that building the audience would be impossible, just that it's a more difficult task for a system like the 3DS than it is for a system like the PS3.
If this holds true, this doesn't bode well for those waiting for CoD Vita to move a significant amount of hardware. Somebody else earlier in the thread complained that Capcom wasn't allocating the type of marketing for RE:R compared to a proper RE title. I wouldn't expect Activision to 'pump up' the Vita version of CoD at the expense of the console versions either.

One thing I haven't seen much discussion on
The Wii system .. now has nearly twice as many 5-million sellers* as competing current-generation consoles combined.

With the term nearly, I would assume that means the other consoles have 5 since the Wii has 9.

I would guess Halo 3, BlOPS and MW3 on the 360 and two of MW2(360), BlOPS(PS3) or MW3(PS3).

Ouch. PSVita's sold 1/2 of the 3DS launch numbers at the same price. Pretty disturbing considering its hardware is light years ahead.

Sony's out lof luck.

THe darkness 2 - bomba. Just saw it at local retailer, 20$ off already, major price slashing so soon after release?

RE: RevelaItions? MIA? Oh Laaaaaawd.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Eeeh, poor Revelations :(
I think it can have some legs too, considering it's out on a handled ( which still has lot of life, effectively) and has a commercial run by Nintendo itself, so it's more considered than GTA. I still think it'll reach at least one million WW in the end.

Probably also the fact it played much more like 4 than 5 influenced, since it's RE5 the one which had an astounding success, especially compared to the others. What shocks me is that so far Capcom consider it a good result, it seems, also in the recent GDC presentation, since they said they would do more of these games in the future, alongside the main main.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
3DS was overpriced, that's why they needed a price cut. The Vita price is fine for its offerings, I don't think that's the problem.

All of this is in the eye of the beholder. I got a Vita day one, six games for it already. I love it. That number is bad.

Petrae

So was it ever confirmed why the ps3's sales were so low last month?

No new games for it. No motivation to buy it. Less spending money available.

As we saw, a month can make a big difference... although, after March, expect PS3 sales (and hardware sales in general) to trend strongly negative again.

fernoca

With the term nearly, I would assume that means the other consoles have 5 since the Wii has 9.

I would guess Halo 3, BlOPS and MW3 on the 360 and two of MW2(360), BlOPS(PS3) or MW3(PS3).

Missed that bit...

Wii
  • Wii Play (13.06 million)
  • Mario Kart Wii (11.3 million)
  • New Super Mario Bros. Wii (8.86 million)
  • Wii Fit (8.18 million)
  • Wii FitPlus (7.32 million)
  • Wii Sports Resort (6.45 million)
  • Just Dance 2 (5.61) million
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl (5.43 million)
  • Super Mario Galaxy (5.04 million)
Just Dance 3 is poised to be the next title added to the list with a lifetime total of 4.61 million.

So, maybe the "nearly twice" could be moved to "twice" when JD3 does.

Pretty sure that modern warfare 2 on 360 would be over 5 mill, I'd guess for the other spot(if it is just one remaining) would be one the 2 PS3 versions you mentioned or maybe GTAIV for 360.

boiled goose

good with gravy
People expecting the Vita to light the charts right out of the gate are delusional.

Are people forgetting that the Vita is the successor to the PSP? The PSP has been dead in the West for quite a while now, and it was never really a strong platform despite somewhat decent hardware sales. (Anyone have million sellers or total software in DS vs PSP handy?)

The Vita is to 3DS what the PSP was to DS. Except now both face competition from tablets and mobile phones. I think mobile platforms will eat into the DS's more casual userbase, but the 3DS will in turn eat into the PSP's 3D game userbase.

The Vita is not a disruptive device like the original PlayStation or the Wii were. If it is going to become a serious contender to the 3DS it will take time.

-Good debut for Twisted Metal.
-Terrible debut for RE:R, though I expect it will continue to sell through the year if 3DS sales stay healthy.
-Current gen console sales are really slowing down. New hardware needed.
-Nintendo should be flaunting Just Dance sales more. I will say it again: Just dance 3 on Wii is far more fan than Dance Central 2 on kinect. There is a reason these games sell like hotcakes.

Grinchy

Banned
Good job, Twisted Metal. I was worried about the game but that number doesn't seem horrible. I haven't bought it yet but I will one day.

Pretty sure that modern warfare 2 on 360 would be over 5 mill, I'd guess for the other spot(if it is just one remaining) would be one the 2 PS3 versions you mentioned or maybe GTAIV for 360.

Ya, just looked up old NPD threads and MW2 360 did 6 million in the first few months.

So, Halo 3, MW2, BlOPS, MW3 on the 360 for sure.

Square Enix desperately needs some new RPG IPs and needs to give Final Fantasy some time off. One, maybe two well-developed games per generation. Stop throwing shit at the wall.

Square Enix desperately needs some new RPG IPs and needs to give Final Fantasy some time off. One, maybe two well-developed games per generation. Stop throwing shit at the wall.

2 or 3 games from a series in a gen isn't overbearing, as long as they can get the first one out early (and for it to be good).

The XIII situation with being so late into the gen and a big dissapointment with a quick cash in followup is definately not the way to do it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
PSVita numbers must be pretty disappointing for Sony.

Considering there was, oh, zero marketing support from SCEA until post-launch, I'd imagine their expectations would be pretty low to begin with.

Now if March sales are low too, then we have a big problem.

3DS sales aren't exactly strong either. I hope Nintendo realizes that launching the exact game series that they did with the DS is not going to expand their portable userbase (especially with increased smartphone competition). It's pretty likely at this point that neither the Vita or 3DS will sell as well as their predecessors. The Vita might have a shot if Sony really plays their cards right but I don't see that happening.

2 or 3 games from a series in a gen isn't overbearing, as long as they can get the first one out early (and for it to be good).

The XIII situation with being so late into the gen and a big dissapointment with a quick cash in followup is definately not the way to do it.

But...that's exactly what they can't do. Last generation they knocked it out of the park with X, and while initial sales were obviously low for FF, XI became one of their most financially successful ventures in a long time. X-2 and XII were at least well-received at home. Dirge of Cerberus was really the only misstep they had with the series back then, but that's when we expected quality from the mainline games. A shit spinoff didn't quite hurt the series' image that much.

This generation they took far too long to release the middling XIII, the aborted fetus XIV, and the XIII sequel no one wanted. All while vXIII rots in development hell. They seriously need to shift their focus to quality over quantity. They have already destroyed any good will the franchise had left. What was once one of the biggest franchises for Microsoft to grab at the beginning of the generation has become absolutely irrelevant to most fans and the rest of the industry.

Time for Wada and Co. to get the picture and see that no one wants these half-assed games. They need to get their shit together with the franchise and they need to build up some new properties with some decent pull if they can't fix this issue and need to leave one of the landmark, iconic franchises in gaming history six feet under.

If XIII-2 at least managed respectable sales in Japan I'd have a different sentiment, but that's just not the case.

But...that's exactly what they can't do. Last generation they knocked it out of the park with X, and while initial sales were obviously low for FF, XI became one of their most financially successful ventures in a long time. X-2 and XII were at least well-received at home. Dirge of Cerberus was really the only misstep they had with the series back then, but that's when we expected quality from the mainline games. A shit spinoff didn't quite hurt the series' image that much.

This generation they took far too long to release the middling XIII, the aborted fetus XIV, and the XIII sequel no one wanted. All while vXIII rots in development hell. They seriously need to shift their focus to quality over quantity. They have already destroyed any good will the franchise had left. What was once one of the biggest franchises for Microsoft to grab at the beginning of the generation has become absolutely irrelevant to most fans and the rest of the industry.

Time for Wada and Co. to get the picture and see that no one wants these half-assed games. They need to get their shit together with the franchise and they need to build up some new properties with some decent pull if they can't fix this issue and need to leave one of the landmark, iconic franchises in gaming history six feet under.

If XIII-2 at least managed respectable sales in Japan I'd have a different sentiment, but that's just not the case.

Isn;t this post prett much exactly what I said?

Good numbers for Ps3 tbh... I was expecting a total collapse in the US.

Vita... Well... Errr... Let's wait a bit and see what happens.

I honestly never understood that sentiment.
I mean GBA was flooded with SNES ports.

Kind of comparing apples to oranges, the SNES was basically 2 generations removed when the GBA came out. Same thing with the DS doing N64 games. The idea of the PSP (and Vita) is that they're getting and playing games that you could play on current consoles (PS2 - PSP, PS3 - Vita). For some the GBA version was the first time they were getting a chance to play an old game that was hard to find, remember virtual console or digital downloads of old games didn't really exist outside of the emulator/rom scene. It wasn't like the GBA was getting GC/PS2/Xbox ports, even if it was the same name the gameplay/story was usually different. With Vita all it's console ports are games that are out on current systems and it's easier to find the PS3/360 version over the Vita one (shelf space and advertising). Most people will pick the console version over the vita version.

3DS sales aren't exactly strong either. I hope Nintendo realizes that launching the exact game series that they did with the DS is not going to expand their portable userbase (especially with increased smartphone competition). It's pretty likely at this point that neither the Vita or 3DS will sell as well as their predecessors. The Vita might have a shot if Sony really plays their cards right but I don't see that happening.

Depends where you look. 3DS is murdering it in Japan, which I assume is Nintendo's main focus right now.

PSVita numbers must be pretty disappointing for Sony.
I think Tretton said something along the lines that he'd be very pleased if they managed 500K after 3 weeks.

I doubt they'll do anything close to that, but it's indicative that they haven't set expectations to astronomical.

SCEA's launch was pretty shit frankly - not sure why they waited so long to start a marketing campaign.

fernoca

How did the PSV have 11 days worth of sales? It only had 4.
Officially 4 days counting actual launch but, First Edition Bundles (FEBs) were released on February 15.

Which is were the confusion of some comes, since Anita Frazier says that the Vita was out for 4 days (was officially released on February 22), there's the assumption that the earlier FEBs were counted as day one sales and seen as preorders; since it technically was for preorders "only".

Revelations should have had a number on the end of it.

dunno about the US but here in the UK capcom were advertising RE6 on tv just after Revelations was released. Pretty dumb move!!

thirty

Banned
vita could actually have some pretty strong word of mouth going into next npd wit DAT SCREEN. Especially when put right next to a 3ds. Yes I know games sell hardware but just sayin.

Gaborn

People expecting the Vita to light the charts right out of the gate are delusional.

I don't think you have to believe the PSV was going to do well to point out this is a bad number for it. Frankly my expectations for Vita were fairly low. I said, months ago well before it was out in Japan I expected it ultimately to do no better than the PSP but probably in the ball park. However, the first year I saw no real compelling reason for any optimism on it's sales. I didn't see that one piece of software I thought would be a big sales mover. I thought the PSP spent too much time acting like a console and with games geared to that mind set and I thought the Vita exacerbated this problem.

Frankly I didn't really know what to expect from the Vita, but I guess I though MINIMUM 250k, maybe 300k for launch would be a sign of hope for the system that the audience was still there for the product and found it more appealing than I personally did.

For me it's very problematic that the launch window, especially first day sales are a big peak for most systems. if 225k truly represents a peak for the Vita then the system really IS in deep trouble heading into the slow selling spring and summer months. How many months has the PSP exceeded what it did in it's launch month outside of November/December sales?

Top Bottom