• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

Mikey Jr.

Maybe Sony has something out of left field for the holidays this time. To cover for uncharted.

I know it's "lol remaster" but uncharted remaster would be awesome.

Uc1, 2, and 3.

Then have multiplayer from 3 in there with all the dlc.

Golden abyss would be the cherry on top.

1080p and 60fps? Tlou did it, so the foundation has got to be there.

Plus I think it would make a great holiday bundle.

Which is far from the doom and gloom that has been the norm in nonholiday months so far this generation.

All around great showing.

Honestly most of the doom and gloom is coming from Nintendo fans, that can't accept people don't want Nintendo consoles anymore, Nintendo consoles have been in a huge decline since the nes, the wii managed to break the decline, because of it's its motion controls, not because people wanted nintendo games, it was never a sustainable market, and nintendo consoles back to the same position they were afte rthe GC, with another huge decline in console sales after the GC.

joecanada

?

They are moving hardware. 276k amount in fact.

Them being lower than PS4 does not mean it isn't selling.

So if iPad was dropped to 200 bucks and sold 40% more apple would be happy?

Cmon man everything sells at some price it matters whether you make a profit on it. By all accounts ps4 is approximately the same price to produce but consumers value xbox approximately 100 dollars less.
That's extremely bad business.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Uc1, 2, and 3.

3? Gimme UC2. still the GOAT

Radec

Uc1, 2, and 3.

Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection

Lemondish

I disagree.

It's always better to give a newer inexperienced studio the opportunity to do a new IP rather than risk them fuck up a new entry in an established IP's series. They can learn from this experience without it having to kill them.

Except they've proven the ability to manage IPs that aren't their own with some of the most cherished titles in the God of War saga, a franchise in which the stories and rich setting has been around for thousands of years. Where they failed was in establishing a new world with a believable plot and interesting characters. While they certainly failed to explore the richness of the Knights who's names are steeped in colourful history, they did so under a new banner with no previous creators at the helm. That, to me, is the only major difference between their success and their failure, and by returning to the scenario in which they were previously successful they might have produced a more acceptable product.

It's much lower risk as you do not alienate and piss off an existing fanbase if it goes tits up.

And that is why I'm continually astounded as to why the reaction to the order has been so toxic. It's ok to not like it, but they didn't kill your dog or ruin uncharted.

And what I'm saying is that it likely would not have resulted in that had they been insulated by an already successful and established franchise who's mechanics, pacing, and story elements were already created for them - the only need would be they emulate effectively, which RAD has shown the ability to do in the past.

Just a thought, though. I see your perspective and while I don't agree it's certainly a very likely outcome had they been handed the reigns to another IP.

creamsugar

BTW, there is no '3DS family', N3DS black, red and MM bundle are just 3 SKUs of 3DS.
PS TV and PS Vita are 2 separated platforms.

Welfare

Cmon man everything sells at some price it matters whether you make a profit on it. By all accounts ps4 is approximately the same price to produce but consumers value xbox approximately 100 dollars less.

In regards to the bold, it would depend on how many units they were selling before? A 40% increase can be a huge gain depending on what the product was selling before.

Microsoft also makes money from software and XBLG subscriptions. The box might make little to no profit, but it's a gateway for consumers to buy other Xbox related items so MS can make profit.

donny2112

Feb & LTD

For Feb, I get...

XB1 = 139.2 deg = 276K (basis)
WIU = 48.1 deg = 95K (NOA said "more than 20% growth" over Jan+Feb 2014, and 94K is 20% growth, so 95K is good)
PS4 = 162.7 deg = 323K
PS4 = 172.7 deg = 342K

+

3DS = 395K

Will keep browsing the thread, but unless something else major is found, I think those are good to use for predictions! :D

Lemondish

In regards to the bold, it would depend on how many units they were selling before? A 40% increase can be a huge gain depending on what the product was selling before.

Microsoft also makes money from software and XBLG subscriptions. The box might make little to no profit, but it's a gateway for consumers to buy other Xbox related items so MS can make profit.

Just as Sony makes profit on games and PS+ subscriptions. They're analogous so the continued success of the PS4 at a higher pricepoint continues to compound the issue when each system sold adds more to their slice through games and subs.

ethomaz

Banned
For Feb, I get...

WIU = 48.1 deg = 95K (NOA said "more than 20% growth" over Jan+Feb 2014, and 94K is 20% growth, so 95K is good)
PS4 = 162.7 deg = 323K

+

3DS = 395K

Will keep browsing the thread, but unless something else major is found, I think those are good to use for predictions! :D
I think PS4 looks close to 50% of the pie... 50% is ~370k... so it is more close to 370k than your 323k for sure.

Javin98

Banned
For Feb, I get...

PS4 = 162.7 deg = 323K

+

3DS = 395K

So basically,
PS4= 325K
XB1= 276K
WiiU= 95K
Is this confirmed? If so, my predictions were WAY off
Edit: Looking at previous posts and observing it a little closer, the PS4 part of pie does seem to be closer to 50%

Welfare

For Feb, I get...

PS4 = 162.7 deg = 323K

+

3DS = 395K

323k? That's a drop from what we had before :p

Oh well PS4. Maybe next time you'll get to >350k.

Also this means PS4 is the only 8th gen console to still be down YOY

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

Javin98

Banned
323k? That's a drop from what we had before :p

Oh well PS4. Maybe next time you'll get to >350k.

Also this means PS4 is the only 8th gen console to still be down YOY
The PS4 part of the pie seems closer to 170 degrees, so the sales could be closer to 340K-350K.

For Feb, I get...

PS4 = 162.7 deg = 323K

+

3DS = 395K

It's been a long time since I've been in school but shouldn't the degrees equal 360?

SNES, PS, Wonderswan, GBA, Nintendo DS, PSP, iOs and PC?
Trust me, I know that I-IV are milked. They're small games that are perfect port targets for any handheld device. The poster making the claim that Square was the king of having people rebuy games used VII and X as examples, and they're actually terrible examples. They're not as milked as people seem to really think they are.

Welfare

Still means PS4 is currently down YOY (Jan+Feb) compared to last.

PS4 would have to be up YOY in March to fix this.

joecanada

Yes it depends regarding the bold how much they make per unit.
You do realize that if you lose money and sell more you lose more money per shipment. Because you have to spend more to produce even more units.
Lose 100 bucks X 100, 000 units = 10 000 000
Lose 100 bucks X 200 000 units = 20 000 000

This is assuming you pay to replace the stock of course and aren't just dumping it.

This is why ipad isn't 199. they sell apps too so why not just sell them for 99 bucks?

C4Lukins

This is a BS comparison.

The XBox One has really only had a consistant 50 dollar price drop. Or about 12.5% on the 400 dollar model.

The original 500 dollar model which included Kinect is not an accurate comparison. The Kinect included SKU is still 450. Which is a 10% price drop. I think people who make your argument are aware of this , but intentionally ignore it.

That being said, the vast majority prefer a 400 dollar PS4 to a 350 dollar XOne without Kinect. No need to exagerate.

Honestly most of the doom and gloom is coming from Nintendo fans, that can't accept people don't want Nintendo consoles anymore, Nintendo consoles have been in a huge decline since the nes, the wii managed to break the decline, because of it's its motion controls, not because people wanted nintendo games, it was never a sustainable market, and nintendo consoles back to the same position they were afte rthe GC, with another huge decline in console sales after the GC.
Last year was actually showing a significant slowdown for the other manufacturers as well.

Aside from their launches and Nov/Dec last year PS4 and One were on track to selling millions if not tens of millions less than their prior market leading systems. PS4 was tracking closer to the Xbox in nonholiday months (around 16 million units in NA) and One was somewhere between the Xbox and GCN in nonholiday months (13-16 million units in a five year span).

Neither was selling on par with the 360 or PS2.

This month may very well be a blip. Still leading to a much smaller market. Nintendo is no doubt the hardest hit by the contraction, but I still won't say PS4 and One are out of the woods yet.

Uc1, 2, and 3.

Instead of adding multiplayer from the previous game, they should just offer a Beta code for the U4 MP.

frizby

Microsoft PR said:
“Xbox One’s fan base continues to grow with record February sales in the U.S. for Xbox One..."

- Record February sales.
- In the U.S.
- for Xbox One.

That is layer upon layer of comedy gold! They really think we're morons, don't they?

Welfare

Yes it depends regarding the bold how much they make per unit.
You do realize that if you lose money and sell more you lose more money per shipment. Because you have to spend more to produce even more units.
Lose 100 bucks X 100, 000 units = 10 000 000
Lose 100 bucks X 200 000 units = 20 000 000

This is assuming you pay to replace the stock of course and aren't just dumping it.

This is why ipad isn't 199. they sell apps too so why not just sell them for 99 bucks?

Because Apple likes to sell their products high above the manufacturing costs so they get big profits from hardware and then get even more from apps?

- Record February sales.
- In the U.S.
- for Xbox One.

That is layer upon layer of comedy gold! They really think we're morons, don't they?

What is wrong with what they said?

It's the best February for the Xbox One in the US.

I know I know, MS PR L O L but seriously.

Hoje0308

Banned
Still means PS4 is currently down YOY (Jan+Feb) compared to last.

PS4 would have to be up YOY in March to fix this.

Of course it is. This time last year it was the hot new console. A year later and we're looking at what is typically a slower season for a console in its second year that hasn't had to utilize reactionary price cuts to stimulate sales.

Last year was actually showing a significant slowdown for the other manufacturers as well.

Aside from their launches and Nov/Dec last year PS4 and One were on track to selling millions if not tens of millions less than their prior market leading systems. PS4 was tracking closer to the Xbox in nonholiday months (around 16 million units in NA) and One was somewhere between the Xbox and GCN in nonholiday months (13-16 million units in a five year span).

Neither was selling on par with the 360 or PS2.

This month may very well be a blip. Still leading to a much smaller market. Nintendo is no doubt the hardest hit by the contraction, but I still won't say PS4 and One are out of the woods yet.

It makes no sense to track stuff monthly to look at what the LTD for these consoles could end up being .
Yearly will give a much better picture of the overall market .

joecanada

Because Apple likes to sell their products high above the manufacturing costs so they get big profits from hardware and then get even more from apps?

Winning post. And that's why you don't price drop unless you absolutely have to. It's never a good thing especially when your competitors manufacture cost is essentially the same

For Feb, I get...

PS4 = 162.7 deg = 323K
PS4 = 172.7 deg = 342K

+

3DS = 395K

ps4 is doing amazing well, even more so when you consider none it's major exclusive franchises are out, games like batman, witcher 3, uncharted 4, last of us 2 and gt7 will push the ps4 to the next level, but the biggest push will come when nextgen only versions of GTA and COD are out those will be huge.

ethomaz

Banned
I did a new measure using a high level of zoom.

D1obwkr.png

PS4: 172.5 = 342k
Wii U: 48.5 = 96k
Xbone: 139 = 276k (basis)

That's it for me.

Edit - Fixed using zoom.

I don't really think it's arguable to say that the traditional boxed market won't be as strong this generation compared to last. I'm curious to see whether or not it matches gen 6. There are less retail products being released compared to other generations and growth in mobile and PC markets is just a reality. The idea that people don't want Nintendo systems is not what I would attribute to people believing there is decline. If you actually believe people don't want Nintendo systems and the Wii was just lightning in a bottle what you're suggesting is that between the PS4 and the XB1, they should sell some 160 or so million units to match PS3/360 or some 190 million units to match PS2, OBX and NGC (since this was a traditional nintendo system). I don't know if those numbers are realistically going to be reached. If they are that's great. If they aren't doesn't that insinuate decline? And that's just hardware, software is an entirely different ball game all together

This isn't me saying that if this gen declines compared to gen 6 and 7 it's the end of gaming though. I sorta think we all know that the landscape for retail games is inevitably going to change as time goes on regardless of how well traditional consoles do..

frizby

Seriously, MS PR LOL.

Declaring a "record" from a sample size of n=2 is...well...it's just embarrassing. And really, it's unnecessary. If I'm them, I just tweet a number and call it a day.

Something like: We sold 2xxK XOs to consumers in February. Thank you Xbox fans!

Welfare

Seriously, MS PR LOL.

Declaring a "record" from a sample size of n=2 is...well...it's just embarrassing. And really, it's unnecessary. If I'm them, I just tweet a number and call it a day.

Something like: We sold 2xxK XOs to consumers in February. Thank you Xbox fans!

They want people to know it's doing better than last month/year. The PR isn't only read by NeoGAF.

joecanada

This is a BS comparison.

The XBox One has really only had a consistant 50 dollar price drop. Or about 12.5% on the 400 dollar model.

The original 500 dollar model which included Kinect is not an accurate comparison. The Kinect included SKU is still 450. Which is a 10% price drop. I think people who make your argument are aware of this , but intentionally ignore it.

That being said, the vast majority prefer a 400 dollar PS4 to a 350 dollar XOne without Kinect. No need to exagerate.

I didn't say xbox dropped 40 %. I said theres a reason successful products don't just price dump to sell more.

In addition you just said the majority prefer 400 PS4 to 350 xbox... So to be on equal footing I estimate consumers value xbox 100 dollars less currently.
And that's with similar manufacturer cost. There's nothing good about that equation

Does the 399 ps even come with two games currently?

I don't really think it's arguable to say that the traditional boxed market won't be as strong this generation compared to last. I'm curious to see whether or not it matches gen 6. There are less retail products being released compared to other generations and growth in mobile and PC markets is just a reality. The idea that people don't want Nintendo systems is not what I would attribute to people believing there is decline. If you actually believe people don't want Nintendo systems and the Wii was just lightning in a bottle what you're suggesting is that between the PS4 and the XB1, they should sell some 160 or so million units to match PS3/360 or some 190 million units to match PS2, OBX and NGC (since this was a traditional nintendo system). I don't know if those numbers are realistically going to be reached. If they are that's great. If they aren't doesn't that insinuate decline? And that's just hardware, software is an entirely different ball game all together.

As long as NPD don't get DD sales numbers a big part of the software market going to be hidden .
Next to 2 to 3 years going to be interesting software wise when comes to numbers and data .

Top Bottom