• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

nintendo-at-e3-gif.gif

Haven't had a good laugh at PR like that MS one for a while.
this makes me think sony indirectly saved nintendo from something bad that was headed to them due to mS.

Dr Bass

Because Apple likes to sell their products high above the manufacturing costs so they get big profits from hardware and then get even more from apps?

What is wrong with what they said?

It's the best February for the Xbox One in the US.

I know I know, MS PR L O L but seriously.

There have been two Februarys.

sörine

Banned
Of course it is. This time last year it was the hot new console. A year later and we're looking at what is typically a slower season for a console in its second year that hasn't had to utilize reactionary price cuts to stimulate sales.
Wasn't PS4 still supply constrained Jan/Feb 2014? The YOY decline might be even greater had supplies permitted then.

Last year was actually showing a significant slowdown for the other manufacturers as well.

Aside from their launches and Nov/Dec last year PS4 and One were on track to selling millions if not tens of millions less than their prior market leading systems. PS4 was tracking closer to the Xbox in nonholiday months (around 16 million units in NA) and One was somewhere between the Xbox and GCN in nonholiday months (13-16 million units in a five year span).

Neither was selling on par with the 360 or PS2.

This month may very well be a blip. Still leading to a much smaller market. Nintendo is no doubt the hardest hit by the contraction, but I still won't say PS4 and One are out of the woods yet.

I think the main reason for this, is that XB1 and ps4 are in a serous competition in the US. ps2 was destroying everything back then, with most big thirdparty games being exclusive, as for the 360 it was trouncing the ps3, games performed better, at a much cheaper price with a better controller. if you combined XB1 and ps4 sales you would see they are trouncing sales of ps3/360 combined sales last gen.

As long as NPD don't get DD sales numbers a big part of the software market going to be hidden .
Next to 2 to 3 years going to be interesting software wise when comes to numbers and data .

Well that's why I said software is an entirely different ball game :p Talking hardware wise. You need solid hardware sales to build a good foundation to sell too. After that stagnation isn't as bad as long as software sales are healthy.

Welfare

And?

Lets say they only gave this out in PR.

"Xbox One sold 276,000 units this February."

Alright, cool. We can add that number to a spreadsheet.

What does this tell an uninformed passerbyer? Is it doing better than before? Is that even a good number?

PR likes to make sure all news given out is positive.

Hoje0308

Banned
sörine;155760871 said:
Wasn't PS4 still supply constrained Jan/Feb 2014? The YOY decline might be even greater had supplies permitted then.

I think it was until March or maybe even April. Still, YOY decline was an assumption I already made now that a good portion of the new gadget buzz has worn off.

You're being a bit obtuse here. The job of anyone drafting a corporate response to sales numbers is to shine the best light possible on their product. It's laughable to us because we're knowledgeable enough to read between the lines, but they wouldn't do it without a decent reason.

FootballFan

So Xenoverse is probably around 350k in the America, very great start.
It probably did similar numbers in Europe and it is at 138k in Japan, so we're looking at the worldwide total being somewhere around 800k in physical sales, the game will probably break 1 million world wide by the end of March!

3DS and Zelda Numbers are awesome too.

Yes xenoverse!!

Deserved

sörine

Banned
I think the main reason for this, is that XB1 and ps4 are in a serous competition in the US. ps2 was destroying everything back then, with most big thirdparty games being exclusive, as for the 360 it was trouncing the ps3, games performed better, at a much cheaper price with a better controller. if you combined XB1 and ps4 sales you would see they are trouncing sales of ps3/360 combined sales last gen.
A year in 3DS was also trouncing DS. Four years in and it can barely keep up with PSP.

It's probably best to give things more time to get a clearer picture of PS4/One trajectories like Thunder said. They had record launches and great holidays but there are still concerning signs in the intervening months.

Steroyd

And?

Lets say they only gave this out in PR.

"Xbox One sold 276,000 units this February."

Alright, cool. We can add that number to a spreadsheet.

What does this tell an uninformed passerbyer? Is it doing better than before? Is that even a good number?

PR likes to make sure all news given out is positive.

They could have just used a percentage and call it a day, it's silly when statements like that are made from a limited data pool, still doesn't touch the "fastest selling console of November" they pulled in the month Xbox One launched.

RBK

Banned
why? that's almost two years since release. even the ps2 dropped $100 before it was two years old.

Well the PS4 is still outselling XB1 by a significant margin plus profit means a lot more now in 2015 to Sony than in 2002.

$299 is realistic, but I'll say $349 is probably where they'll put it at.

vpance

would Sony be able to keep up with demand at that price? And what would MS even do at that point, $199?

Yeah they could keep up. Doesn't have to be a WW cut, maybe just US and UK.

As for MS I think they'll do a mega pack of H5, TR and AC at $289.

AniHawk

Well the PS4 is still outselling XB1 by a significant margin plus profit means a lot more now in 2015 to Sony than in 2002.

$299 is realistic, but I'll say $349 is probably where they'll put it at.

i think people are really used to the shitty prices everything stuck at last gen. with microsoft this aggressive, i don't think it'll stick this gen.

plus, $299.99 is when a video game console is affordable. so i'm hoping the ps4 reaches that price point so i can get it at the absolute maximum i will ever spend on a console.

Maybe Sony has something out of left field for the holidays this time. To cover for uncharted.

I think I heard this on Kinda Funny's Colin and Greg Live (it could have been somewhere else). It was speculated that maybe Sony could/should try to get timed (6 month) exclusivity from Bethesda with (the most likely be announced at E3) Fallout 4. But also brought up, was the fact that the system is selling so well, it might not be worth the most-likely exorbitant fee.

crinale

With PS4 selling at this rate only time Sony would drop price is only after BOM goes down.
GDDR5 chips may be available at lower price so I've heard. I don't know about SoC though.

Hoje0308

Banned
and now. they're dominating now.

so everyone thinks it's more likely that they'll do $349 instead of $299 if anything this year?

They have a history of dropping it $100 first, then following up with smaller drops as needed. Maybe the fact that their wallet is now significantly lighter makes a $50 drop more likely. Also, they had more competition early on during previous generations, whereas now it's hard to imagine MS ever catching up worldwide. Personally, I don't think you'll see a PS4 at $299 until a revised model (read: Slim) is released.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Price_cuts

Going by that LTD pie, if MS goes "loco mode" once more come holiday time, and Sony continues doing pretty much nothing, that gap will switch sides.

Sony is slowly reclaiming the ground Xbox gained during holiday. By the Fall all that ground will be lost and probably more. Counting on Sony to be passive again isn't a smart bet.

NolbertoS

Wow, Sony hype train can't be stopped. I'm hoping now that MS realizes how futile there marketing strategy is, damn another price drop is in order by E3. $299.99 Xbox One with Kinect is just crazy enough to happen now by Black Friday. Overall this gen had been lacklustre in games compared to last gen. More remakes are gonna be the norm now.

Hoje0308

Banned
plus, $299.99 is when a video game console is affordable.

Seems like a lot of people think $399 is affordable. You have to consider the fact that markets change. $399 isn't the same as it was ten years ago when gen 7 was gearing up and now you have people spending upwards of $700 on phones and tablets.

It won't flop critically. If The Order just had average reviews it woild have done much better.

The Order didn't release until the 20th. Given that and the fact that it's a new IP and I think it's doing quite well, especially in light of the critical beating it took.

Bgamer90

Banned
Sony is slowly reclaiming the ground Xbox gained during holiday. By the Fall all that ground will be lost and probably more. .

I don't think so. The gap will definitely get bigger until the Fall but I don't think it will be as big as last year (which I believe reached 1.2 Million); I don't think there's anything coming for the PS4 before the Holiday season that will be as big as the Destiny release + special SKU last year.

The gap (NPD) is less than 700K now right? PS4 would need to outsell XB1 until the Fall by an average of about 100K per month for what you said to be true (that is, if my numbers are correct).

$299.99 is when a video game console is affordable.
I would generally agree to this, although it must be great for sony that their console has been selling like hotcakes for so long for almost half a grand.
Yeah, ps3 dropped from $299 to $249
that wasn't their first price cut though. it was $599-->$499. then $499-->$399 and then finally $399-->$299 along with the slim shortly thereafter.
They have a history of dropping it $100 first, then following up with smaller drops as needed. Maybe the fact that their wallet is now significantly lighter makes a $50 drop more likely. Also, they had more competition early on during previous generations, whereas now it's hard to imagine MS ever catching up worldwide. Personally, I don't think you'll see a PS4 at $299 until a revised model (read: Slim) is released.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Price_cuts
OK, so you personally believe that the first price cut will come with the redesign, akin to the Ps3's third price cut & slim redesign?

KHlover

Banned
Good to see Xenoverse in the Top10. Best Dragon Ball game since Budokai (Tenkaichi) 3. I wonder why PC isn't listed as a platform for it, though.

Also great to see that MH4 has charted. Best MH so far imo, the added verticality and the monster rodeo really feel like they should have been in the series since the first game.

Finally getting the sales it deserves in the west ;-;

Welfare

I don't think so. The gap will definitely get bigger until the Fall but I don't think it will be as big as last year (which I believe reached 1.2 Million); I don't think there's anything coming for the PS4 before the Holiday season that will be as big as the Destiny release + special SKU last year.

The gap (NPD) is less than 700K now right? PS4 would need to outsell XB1 until the Fall by an average of about 100K per month for what you said to be true (that is, if my numbers are correct).

Slightly above 600k

Top Bottom