• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

I'd be surprised if Sony had Battlefront marketing, especially considering Microsoft has EA in their back pocket (Spencer has relations with some EA execs)

Yeah that explains why Sony got the Hardline marketing deal.

Star Wars is an international brand so the smartest thing to do is go with the console that has worldwide appeal and twice the marketshare hence PS4.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Also based on what we know, Monster Hunter sold really well digitally, right? If Order > 200K, MH4U ~ 200K. So ~95K digital.

N.Domixis

Banned
I don't think so. The gap will definitely get bigger until the Fall but I don't think it will be as big as last year (which I believe reached 1.2 Million); I don't think there's anything coming for the PS4 before the Holiday season that will be as big as the Destiny release + special SKU last year.

The gap (NPD) is less than 700K now right? PS4 would need to outsell XB1 until the Fall by an average of about 100K per month for what you said to be true (that is, if my numbers are correct).

The ps4 is at about 620K, the highest the gap got before ms won was 1.1 million.
1.1-.62=.48 million or 480k more.
it will only need to outsell xbox 1 by 68K for the next 6 months to get there. March gap will be bigger than that. So it will be very easy to surpass last years gap.
March
April
May
June
July
Aug
Sept

If the math is correct its going to do it with no problem.

The ps4 is at about 620K, the highest the gap got before ms won was 1.1 million.
it will only need to outsell xbox 1 by 68K for the next 6 months to get there. March gap will be bigger than that. So it will be very easy to surpass last years gap.
March
April
May
June
July
Aug
Sept

Yep Sony will probably win every month up to October with September potentially being massive if there is a MGSV bundle.

joecanada

March
April
May
June
July
Aug
Sept

Basically every summer, spring this gen will be a bloodbath until further notice.

Bloodbourne bloodbath this year.

It would be wise of Sony to drop their price ASAP.
Morpheus is roughly a year away, they'll want as big a base as possible.
Only a (small) fraction of PS4 owners will want (and have the $) to buy the headset on it's release. More PS4 owners makes the base bigger for possible Morpheus buyers.

...hmmm, upon reflection, it may be more impactful for them to wait for a $100 drop next spring to make Morpheus a more compelling & affordable purchase.

I can see the logic of them competing with MS this holiday with value added bundles w/o a console price drop.

Malcolm9

Can't believe some people are considering n3DS a different system...

And thanks to deliver again cream, we would be in the dark without your numbers and of course... pies.

Well games like Xenoblade and Zelda MM cannot be played on an older 3DS, so I can see why people might make that assumption.

As for The Order, I think Sony will give RAD another opportunity. They can hopefully learn lessons from the first game and hopefully add more in the sequel.

GobFather

I agree but I'm still betting on a 349 console I think the success lends itself to small drops more

Oh, I was thinking the same too but I didn't consider PS+ so it is possible to go $299 and it would be HUGE in numbers and still make money. But realistically I can see them push $349 first :p

Nameless

People really think Sony is going to respond to a $299 XB1 and a mainline Halo with a $50 price drop? PS4 and XB1 will cost the same this holiday season. No bout it doubt it.

joecanada

It would be wise of Sony to drop their price ASAP.
Morpheus is roughly a year away, they'll want as big a base as possible.
Only a (small) fraction of PS4 owners will want (and have the $) to buy the headset on it's release. More PS4 owners makes the base bigger for possible Morpheus buyers.

...hmmm, upon reflection, it may be more impactful for them to wait for a $100 drop next spring to make Morpheus a more compelling & affordable purchase.

I can see the logic of them competing with MS this holiday with value added bundles w/o a console price drop.

There's two ways to approach this. The other is to actually offer morpheus at a loss and see if it sells systems too.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Well games like Xenoblade and Zelda MM cannot be played on an older 3DS, so I can see why people might make that assumption.

As for The Order, I think Sony will give RAD another opportunity. They can hopefully learn lessons from the first game and hopefully add more in the sequel.

You can play zelda MM on a regular 3ds tho. The only game made for the n3Ds is Xenoblade.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
You know your software line up is bad for the year (what we know now) if people are discussing third party exclusive content deals 2 years in. I remember the 360 getting RIPPED for being the third party console. I don't think the ps4 sales will dwindle. There's nothing to worry about. Even Sony don't know why it's selling

N.Domixis

Banned
IF star wars does get snagged by sony, and if the movie releases this year than star wars hype will be higher than its ever been in the last decade. Sony may have another big hit. similar to destiny and watch dogs.

Converse

Banned
nintendo-at-e3-gif.gif

This is such an elegantly perfect visual metaphor.

Every once in a while, this industry shocks me in a good way. Most certainly would not have expected Majora's Mask -- Majora's Fucking Mask the number-one selling game in February, 2015 -- or Monster Hunter to chart as they did, but it's great to see. Pleasantly surprised that Capcom's insistence on turning Monster Hunter into a North American "thing" seems to be working out, even somewhat.

As for the Wii U, yeah, the numbers are small. But I'm thankful Ninty can say, "look, good games will increase our sales." Because that's really all that has changed since last year. It's a cynical industry, and I'll be real disappointed when that mantra doesn't hold true.

Welfare

As for the Wii U, yeah, the numbers are small. But I'm thankful Ninty can say, "look, good games will increase our sales." Because that's really all that has changed since last year. It's a cynical industry, and I'll be real disappointed when that mantra doesn't hold true.

They only had Kirby out this month though. Like, only Kirby.

Bgamer90

Banned
i'm not entirely sure what your point is here. not saying you're wrong or that I disagree, but how does the post you make here conflict with the bolded part of the post that you quoted?

Ground can't be lost before the Fall if the gap doesn't get as big as last year's.

March
April
May
June
July
Aug
Sept

Yep Sony will probably win every month up to October with September potentially being massive if there is a MGSV bundle.

I don't know about August or September. August could see another Madden bundle (cheaper than PS4 unless PS4 gets a price drop by then) and September may see the release of Halo 5 (possible if MS doesn't want it to go against shooters in October/November).

allan-bh

Microsoft has Halo 5 and CoD, so this Battlefront deal with Sony makes sense.

Even with that I think Sony needs a big exclusive now that Uncharted 4 was delayed. MS is bringing big guns for holidays.

vpance

Disagree on that. $299 + $2xx at once is still way too much to ask of people. What they need to do is $299 this holiday to boost the install base and start teasing Morpheus. Then those same people will have recharged their wallets by the time it launches in the spring.

N.Domixis

Banned
Microsoft has Halo 5 and CoD, so this Battlefront deal with Sony makes sense.

Even with that I think Sony needs a big exclusive now that Uncharted 4 was delayed. MS is bringing big guns for holidays.

a price drop is all they need to not fall behind as much,

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
This is such an elegantly perfect visual metaphor.

Every once in a while, this industry shocks me in a good way. Most certainly would not have expected Majora's Mask -- Majora's Fucking Mask the number-one selling game in February, 2015 -- or Monster Hunter to chart as they did, but it's great to see. Pleasantly surprised that Capcom's insistence on turning Monster Hunter into a North American "thing" seems to be working out, even somewhat.

It's amazing isn't it. Feels really good. It's like every one actually remembers they want great amazing gaming experiences that are, what I consider real quality games. Hope bloodbourne does huge numbers. This generation Aaa western releases have been lackluster imo.

Majanew

Banned
NPD told Aqua to terminate her account on NeoGAF or be terminated from her job. That is still quite possibly the most hostile thing an organization has ever said to an individual.

Wow.

Can someone fill me in on why the number of copies sold of a video game is treated like an Area 51 document? Why the secrecy for video games?

Top Bottom