• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

onQ123

(As I've said many times before) a big reason why the gap got that big was due to Destiny and the Destiny bundle. The PS4 in September 2014 got sales similar to what we saw with the Wii last gen during its Septembers (close to 600K in America alone if I remember correctly). That's huge. There's nothing on the PS4 this year in my opinion that will be as big as Destiny was last year -- at least in terms of giving the PS4 similar sales before the Holiday season. So yeah, I don't see why it's somehow crazy for me to think that the gap won't be greatly bigger than what it was last year.

The gap was about 250K that month it was a big gap but the gap from last month was about 80K in a somewhat normal month so I wouldn't be too surprised to see PS4 with 100K sales leads a few months out of this year to widen the gap again.

Conduit

Banned
(As I've said many times before) a big reason why the gap got that big was due to Destiny and the Destiny bundle. The PS4 in September 2014 got sales similar to what we saw with the Wii last gen during its Septembers (close to 600K in America alone if I remember correctly). That's huge. There's nothing on the PS4 this year in my opinion that will be as big as Destiny was last year -- at least in terms of giving the PS4 similar sales before the Holiday season. So yeah, I don't see why it's somehow crazy for me to think that the gap won't be greatly bigger than what it was last year.

Maybe Batman : Arkham Knight.

As I pretty much said in my post, I think the second half of the year will largely depend on how MS spreads out their games + the bundles they'll introduce.

You're pretty confident that MS will win Holiday sales with Halo 5 bundle. Hm.... I'm pretty sure that Star Wars is a bigger name.

Maybe Batman : Arkham Knight.

I'm a huge fan of the batman arkham games, but given the lukewarm reviews for origins and the likelihood that adding a batmobile will be fun for fans but nothing game changing enough to attract people who don't already like the batman arkham games I wouldn't expect a big sales bump even with bundles

Pretty sure if I took the effort I could find plenty of post from you explaining why the Xbox should be selling more now. Some reasons I remember are holiday momentum, people still buying holiday exclusives, more people now owning an X1 and evangilising it to their friends. Since launch you've just been shifting the time frame of when the Xb1 will rise above the ps4.

If they were able to grow a little over a 100K lead in 2013 to 1 million unit lead by October last year how big do you think the gap will there be by October this year when the lead is starting at 650K? And then you are theorizing the gap after this holiday could be even smaller. Ps4 sales would have to fall off a cliff or the Xb1 would need to double Ps4 sales which I can't see happening when it couldn't be done this past holiday even w/o Ps4 price drop. Seems just like too much wishful thinking.

It's seemingly his schtick at this point (walls of text just repeating themselves without anything substantive to say except for the occasional "Console warrior lolz!" post). Even though this gen has seen a complete reversal in roles of market leader in the US so far, somehow this fact doesn't matter to him when analyzing the outlook for his precious and preferred company of choice.

Chobel

You're pretty confident that MS will win Holiday sales with Halo 5 bundle. Hm.... I'm pretty sure that Star Wars is a bigger name.

1) Battlefront is multipat
2) MS can/will make XB1 cheaper than whatever the price of PS4 this holiday.
3) I don't think Star Wars is bigger name than Halo, not in video games. I don't think any Star Wars game outsold Halo games.

Javin98

Banned
MGS5 should give the PS4 a boost; It's just that I'm expecting Halo 5 to release in September too though (due to there being so many shooters coming out late this year).

As I pretty much said in my post, I think the second half of the year will largely depend on how MS spreads out their games + the bundles they'll introduce.
If Sony announces a price drop and bundles MGSV in September, the PS4 will take the month easily IMO

3) I don't think Star Wars is bigger name than Halo, not in video games. I don't think any Star Wars game outsold Halo games.
Do keep in mind that the new Star Wars movie is coming out in December though, so sales of Battlefront will likely get a boost from the movie. And there are rumours going around that Sony has marketing partnership for Battlefront

Conduit

Banned

Are you sure that Xbone owners will buy SW : B beside Halo 5? I mean Star Wars is a bigger name as a whole, not just in videogame industry. Also, new Star Wars movie coming in mid Dec. If Sony grabbed Battlefront deal for Holidays, it will be interesting.

Bgamer90

Banned
You're pretty confident that MS will win Holiday sales with Halo 5 bundle. Hm....

Not really to be honest. The Halo 5 bundle wouldn't be the cheapest bundle since there would already be enough people getting the system just to play the game (on top of the fact that I think the bundle will release before the Holiday season anyway). I think the Halo 5 bundle will be a "special edition bundle" that's more in price than the regular Xbox One SKU.

I'm thinking the Holiday season for the Xbox One will have a $299.99 Tomb Raider bundle and possibly a $349.99 Call of Duty bundle (alongside whatever is left of special Halo 5 bundles).

Welfare

Battlefront is a FPS right?

Even with a marketing deal, if MS has a CoD or Halo bundle this holiday, new FPS fan adopters will probably pick the Xbox this holiday because they'll get not only Battlefront, but CoD and Halo in one swoop. PS4 doesn't have that.

Plus MS will have the Xbox One cheaper in the holidays.

Bgamer90

Banned
It's seemingly his schtick at this point (walls of text just repeating themselves without anything substantive to say except for the occasional "Console warrior lolz!" post).

???

Haha, that's a pretty inaccurate description. Seems like you and others don't really read my posts or don't want to because I'm saying something you don't 100% agree with. Talking about gaming is that serious huh?

Even though this gen has seen a complete reversal in roles of market leader in the US so far, somehow this fact doesn't matter to him when analyzing the outlook for his precious and preferred company of choice.

Well that's the thing... there really isn't a complete role reversal for America. The gap between first and second place is the smallest it has ever been during any gen with a Playstation console.

If the PS4 was outselling the Xbox One in America in the same way/fashion the Xbox 360 was over the PS3 last gen, then yeah -- I would definitely say it's a role reversal for America but the PS4 isn't doing that. Because of this (and the gap being under one million), I definitely feel like the Xbox One still has the possibility of taking the top spot in America; just simply depends on how "desperate" MS is willing to get.

Really don't understand why some of you guys are teaming up on me as if saying that is controversial. If anything all your post showed was that you don't fully read my posts anyway. I'm not saying anything too different from what some others in this thread have said but yet I'm somehow the target. Strange. But hey, I remember getting similar posts back in August/September when I said the Xbox One had a chance at doing better than the PS4 in North America during last year's Holiday season (which actually happened).

I'm used to this (even though I don't understand it lol). And yes, I prefer the Xbox One but it's because it simply has more games I'm interested in. Has nothing to do with the Microsoft brand as I've switched my preferred brands during previous gens in the past. The fact that you had to take that angle with your post shows what you're all about (i.e.: not wanting to actually debate what I said in my previous posts in this thread). Funny too considering my monthly NPD predictions mostly had the PS4 in the top spot so far... Not sure how that fits your (silly) "my precious console"-line.

Bgamer90

Banned
If Sony announces a price drop and bundles MGSV in September, the PS4 will take the month easily IMO

It's impossible for me (at least right now) to even try and make a prediction for the outcome of a PS4 price drop and MGSV bundle vs. an XB1 price drop and Halo 5 bundle.

Both will be big games (with one of them being exclusive) and I would assume that the Xbox One would be cheaper if that situation happened in September.

Chobel

Sony can win the holiday if they match XB1 price and MS doesn't bundle CoD/Halo 5.
Unfortunately for Sony, the possibility of matching XB1 price is almost zero because MS can (and will) always outspend them in US.

Sarobi

Banned
Sony can win the holiday if they match XB1 price and MS doesn't bundle CoD/Halo 5.
Unfortunately for Sony, the possibility of matching XB1 price is almost zero because MS can (and will) always outspend them in US.

I don't think they are concerned with price matching with XB1 if they are only forecasting to lose to it 3 months in the year.

Banned
515k for MM3D? Beautiful. Well deserved. The dark horse of the Zelda series is on pace to outsell OoT 3D (although it has the benefit of releasing alongside new 3DS and a larger install base).

donny2112

USConsole_PS4gap_annual_201502.png

Total lead after October 2014 for PS4: ~1.1m
October 2014 projected YTD lead if Destiny/White PS4 didn't happen: ~600K

Total lead after December 2014 for PS4: ~500K

If PS4 outsells XB1 as much in 2015 through October as it did in 2014 through October excluding the effects of the Destiny/White PS4 bump, then the PS4 lead over XB1 in October 2015 would be ~1.1m again.

Pretty sure that's all Bgamer90 was saying.

donny2112

Totally missed this thread. How'd it go this month?

3DS took everyone massively by surprise. PS4 and XB1 continued with the annual tradition of weird Feb. bumps. Wii U being Wii U. Vita TV doing better than Vita. Guess the rebrand to PSTV is helping there!

Edit:
Oh, and outside of NPD, Nintendo partnered with DeNA to bring Nintendo IP to smartphones.

Javin98

Banned
It's impossible for me (at least right now) to even try and make a prediction for the outcome of a PS4 price drop and MGSV bundle vs. an XB1 price drop and Halo 5 bundle.

Both will be big games (with one of them being exclusive) and I would assume that the Xbox One would be cheaper if that situation happened in September.
Sure, right now it's impossible to tell. But 343 has potentially damaged the Halo brand with MCC. Of course it does not indicate sales of Halo 5, but I doubt it will be pushing as many units as Halo 3. Just my two cents, though, I could be wrong. And contrary to popular belief
and jokes
, Microsoft does not have an infinite war chest. I don't think they can go too low this time with the price of DDR3 and ESRAM remaining constant.

Oh, and outside of NPD, Nintendo partnered with DeNA to bring Nintendo IP to smartphones.
So that's what happened yesterday. What about Project NX? Anything to do with this?

Bgamer90

Banned

If PS4 outsells XB1 as much in 2015 through October as it did in 2014 through October excluding the effects of the Destiny/White PS4 bump, then the PS4 lead over XB1 in October 2015 would be ~1.1m again.

Yes. Thank you. :)

Sure, right now it's impossible to tell. But 343 has potentially damaged the Halo brand with MCC. Of course it does not indicate sales of Halo 5, but I doubt it will be pushing as many units as Halo 3.

The series will never get back to the hype it had with Halo 3 -- far too many shooters out now. Halo 3 released before Call of Duty Modern Warfare; It was a completely different time for shooters back then.

Halo 5 is going to get a ton of hype simply due to it being the first true Halo game for this gen. I'm sure the game will do very well if it gets good reviews/feedback. I do think 5 will be "make or break" though. I think every Halo fan will lose faith in 343 and the future of the Halo series if it isn't good.

Just my two cents, though, I could be wrong. And contrary to popular belief
and jokes
, Microsoft does not have an infinite war chest. I don't think they can go too low this time with the price of DDR3 and ESRAM remaining constant.

Well, they have Halo 5. They could make a special bundle with that at a higher price (e.g.: $400-450) to lower the blow of the other cheaper bundles (with all bundles more than likely doing well during the Fall).

Lemondish

So was Destiny, yet the bundle still benefited the PS4 tremendously. The same could absolutely happen here.

I'm not sure that's true. I'm also not sure if that'll matter. It's cheaper now.

That may be so, but I imagine there's a bad taste in player's mouths following Halo 4 and problems with the MCC, not to mention the normal franchise fatigue that comes around after releasing 8 or so games in multiple genres. Star Wars is a more popular property than Halo is and will at least be capable of competing with it in NA, especially given Star Wars fever hitting its stride this holiday. Of course, we may not see the Star Wars game until November (when it's closer to the film's release), but it will be a seller.

Javin98

Banned
The series will never get back to the hype it had with Halo 3 -- far too many shooters out now. Halo 3 released before Call of Duty Modern Warfare; It was a completely different time for shooters back then.

Halo 5 is going to get a ton of hype simply due to it being the first true Halo game for this gen. I'm sure the game will do very well if it gets good reviews/feedback. I do think 5 will be "make or break" though. I think every Halo fan will lose faith in 343 and the future of the Halo series if it isn't good.

Well, they have Halo 5. They could make a special bundle with that at a higher price (e.g.: $400-450) to lower the blow of the other cheaper bundles (with all bundles more than likely doing well during the Fall).
I've never played a Halo game, but based on feedback from fans, I have to agree. 343 has yet to prove that they're as competent as Bungie in making Halo games. If Halo 5 underwhelms, I think the brand will start to lose its popularity and acclaim. Anyway, there is no doubt that Halo 5 bundled with an XBox One will move quite lot of units, but as of now, it's hard to tell if it's enough to counter a potential price drop and MGSV bundle from Sony.

Bgamer90

Banned
So was Destiny, yet the bundle still benefited the PS4 tremendously. The same could absolutely happen here.

Destiny had literally months of hype and it was probably the most anticipated new IP for this current gen so far (even though it was cross gen). I highly doubt Battlefront will get the same amount of hype -- the "train" is starting too late in comparison.

I'm not sure that's true. I'm also not sure if that'll matter. It's cheaper now.

It's cheaper now without major games/exclusives. It needs some new major exclusives alongside that cheaper price.

Xbox is tanking hard on Amazon. All the way down to #32 while PS4 is #6. Bloodborne is killing it at #5 with Zelda being the only game ahead of it.

Looks like Bloodborne might be a system seller after all.

Xbox is tanking hard on Amazon. All the way down to #32 while PS4 is #6. Bloodborne is killing it at #5 with Zelda being the only game ahead of it.

Or MCC is dragging the Xbox down. /joke

What's with the image of PS4 on Amazon though lol?

allan-bh

Xbox One AC bundle is dropping on Amazon ranking and Halo MCC bundle is rising (couple day ago was lower than 400th and now is 78th).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

But From only makes niche weird Japanese titles that mainstream players would never gravitate toward

thebloo

Isn't a bit weird to totally exclude that bundle? I mean, those sales would not have disappeared 100% if Destiny had not existed. Or am I reading it wrong?

Conduit

Banned
Battlefront is a FPS right?

Even with a marketing deal, if MS has a CoD or Halo bundle this holiday, new FPS fan adopters will probably pick the Xbox this holiday because they'll get not only Battlefront, but CoD and Halo in one swoop. PS4 doesn't have that.

Plus MS will have the Xbox One cheaper in the holidays.

Xbone is cheaper 4 months and a half now.

gtj1092

Isn't a bit weird to totally exclude that bundle? I mean, those sales would not have disappeared 100% if Destiny had not existed. Or am I reading it wrong?

Yeah maybe if we cut out the black friday XB1 sales boost the gap would of been bigger. People can't just ignore sales to fit their picture.

I mean X1 has every reason to be winning NPD right now it's cheaper, has more exclusives, live>psn, 900p is good enough, halo, 360 owner upgrade loyalty, OS updates and its America.
I don't believe this myself

But From only makes niche weird Japanese titles that mainstream players would never gravitate toward

The CE has crept up to #8 now too so Bloodborne is probably the best selling game right now with two SKUS in the top 10.

Xbox One AC bundle is dropping on Amazon ranking and Halo MCC bundle is rising (couple day ago was lower than 400th and now is 78th).

That makes sense. Still likely a significant drop-off though even if you combine the two bundles.

Welfare

Unless it's delayed, we haven't seen any gameplay footage of that game. Are they going to rush it into the market for the sake of the holidays?

Guys I'm a total leaker. Halo 5 beta looks good.

Maybe Amazon and partners are finally getting close to extinguishing their ACU bundles.

Also I saw the Halo ad on TV yesterday. Maybe people are starting to notice it.

Javin98

Banned

Yep, the XBox One has been dropping significantly for the past few days now. I'm actually surprised it went all the way to >#32 while the PS4 remained at #6/#7 with Bloodborne one step ahead. LOL, Bloodborne may actually sell better than The Order despite being a "niche" title.

Welfare

Yep, the XBox One has been dropping significantly for the past few days now. I'm actually surprised it went all the way to >#32 while the PS4 remained at #6/#7 with Bloodborne one step ahead. LOL, Bloodborne may actually sell better than The Order despite being a "niche" title.

There's currently a transition going on with the ACU and Halo bundles right now. ACU is dropping while Halo is rising.

Javin98

Banned
There's currently a transition going on with the ACU and Halo bundles right now. ACU is dropping while Halo is rising.
Still, with one bundle currently at #30 and the other at #80, I think it's fair to say sales of XBox One is currently dropping significantly. I think we could see a 100K gap between the two this month.
I know I said this last month as well but the XBox One did better than expected.

True, but there's no rush for it.

MCC's been out long enough, has been at low enough prices, without the legs necessary to make this bundle extra appealing beyond the offers that Xbox has had over the past 6 months.

onQ123

Last year Xbox One had Titan Fall to help carry it through the 1st part of the year is there anything coming out in the next few months that will push Xbox One

Top Bottom