• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

There's not that big of a split in the US for the PS4 (and XB1 obviously) to be viewed in the same "what everyone else has" way that the 360 was over the PS3 last gen (at least not anytime soon).

It doesn't need to be $100 cheaper right now. Again, why should more people get an XB1 over the PS4 right now when the latter is getting bigger (exclusive) games?

Why should MS lose money during lower console selling months that they could probably make up during the Fall (with some of those sales possibly coming from special edition SKUs that are higher than the Xbox One's price now)?

It would be a bigger problem if the PS4 was outselling the Xbox One by 150K+ during these early months of the year but its not.

MS didn't make up all the sales during the holiday season, though.

PS4 had accrued a 1.1m gap that got shorn down to 700k, but I can't see the X1 making up numbers during the holiday season this year if PS4 gets a price drop. Especially if it's a straight $100 cut to $299. I think that price would bury even a $299 Halo 5 bundle.

StevieP

Banned
Not once have i said that third party games did not sell on the Wii. I said the majority of the Wii audience that moved on from the Wii had little to no effect on today´s third party publishers bottom line, which is true. Especially when these third parties main audience are core gamers.

You should go back and read captain smoker's post that directly responds to you.

Sony, in their infinite wisdom, completely ignored that entire market segment which was really responsible for the growth the PS2 saw coming off the back of the PS1. They turned to the second strategy and said "We'll get the traditional video game market to spend $600 on our console, it will be great!" Obviously it turned out to be a huge financial disaster which nearly killed their business, but due to some good work in the second half of the generation they were able to rebuild their brand to the degree where they could launch the successful PS4 (take note, Nintendo!).

Ah yes, because they moved London Studio into making gritty games with bald headed space marines and anger issues rather than EyePet, Move and Wonderbook. I think they just followed their old method of starting with the hardcore and trying to bring more casual players on board as the price of the console goes down. While aiming the cheap edition of their old console at the casual mass market audience (i.e. the $99 PS2). It's part of the reason the PS2 had such long legs, a cheap console aimed at a casual audience.

Daviii

It would be a bigger problem if the PS4 was outselling the Xbox One by 150K+ during these early months of the year but its not.

As long as they only care about the US.

The way MS is facing PS4 at the same price in the rest of the world and failing miserably on a monthly basis...

Bgamer90

Banned

They reduced the gap by a decent amount and there's still at least three years left of this current gen. The gap in North America could be smaller in January 2016 than it was in January of this year; simply depends on what happens later on in the year.

PS4 had accrued a 1.1m gap that got shorn down to 700k, but I can't see the X1 making up numbers during the holiday season this year if PS4 gets a price drop. Especially if it's a straight $100 cut to $299. I think that price would bury even a $299 Halo 5 bundle.

It was lower than 700K (the gap is less than 700K now) but anyway, I think it's safe to say that MS will be willing to keep the Xbox One a cheaper price than the PS4 in North America from here on out.

A Halo 5 bundle would more than likely do well at any price that's $400 or lower if it's a special console. There's still a good number of people looking forward to the game and are waiting to make the jump to current gen once the game releases.

There will more than likely be other bundles outside of Halo 5 too -- similar to the multiple bundles we saw last year. Could see there being at least once that's under $299.99.

As long as they only care about the US.

The way MS is facing PS4 at the same price in the rest of the world and failing miserably on a monthly basis...

I was referring to America (said it in my post). The system never had a shot worldwide. Its predecessor released one year before the PS3 with a much better perception and yet the PS3 still caught up.

Greatly focusing on territories that simply don't care about the brand as much as America/UK would be a waste at this point in my opinion.

scrambles

Neo Member
They reduced the gap by a decent amount and there's still at least three years left of this current gen. The gap in North America could be smaller in January 2016 than it was in January of this year; simply depends on what happens later on in the year.

It was lower than 700K (the gap is less than 700K now) but anyway, I think it's safe to say that MS will be willing to keep the Xbox One a cheaper price than the PS4 in North America from here on out.

A Halo 5 bundle would more than likely do well at any price that's $400 or lower if it's a special console. There's still a good number of people looking forward to the game and are waiting to make the jump to current gen once the game releases.

There will more than likely be other bundles outside of Halo 5 too -- similar to the multiple bundles we saw last year. Could see there being at least once that's under $299.99.

I was referring to America (said it in my post). The system never had a shot worldwide. Its predecessor released one year before the PS3 with a much better perception and yet the PS3 still caught up.

Greatly focusing on territories that simply don't care about the brand as much as America/UK would be a waste at this point in my opinion.

while you may be right that it will catch up in the US, it's very unlikely it will hold it.

Bgamer90

Banned
while you may be right that it will catch up in the US, it's very unlikely it will hold it.

Depends on what they do/have planned. We'll find out how "desperate" they are soon.

Fighting to a virtual draw in the US will be a major disappointment considering it is dead almost every where else.

And them being under the PS4 in the US when the gen is over would probably be an even bigger disappointment -- hence why there's nothing wrong with them wanting to do that (or better) at this point.

Chobel

Yeah, let's not get crazy here.

You should go back and read captain smoker's post that directly responds to you.

I did, and i still stand by what i said. There is zero correlation between the numbers posted and who bought them, except for Ubisoft, and Skylanders. It could as well be core gamers who contributed the most or Nintendo core gamers. You can really read how little significance the Wii audience had on these publishers. Ubisoft made more money in FY 2013 than they did at the height of the Wii and the DS. EA made in 2012 more than any year except 2009, and the Wii part was only $146 million, which is insignificant since EA made 2.7$ billion. Also this

Note that this data is incomplete in some fiscal years and also quite old (from this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=720827), we know that those publishers generated a lot of money on PS3 and 360 after the Wii slowed down.

Incomplete and old data.

Activision
FY12 2013 is just up to September 2013
Bamco
FY3 2013 is just up to December 2012 because Bandai Namco stopped reporting platform breakdowns after this.
EA
FY3 2014 is up to September 2013
Ubisoft
FY3 2014 is up to September 2013

Yeah, let's not get crazy here.

A $299 PS4 would absolutely do well against a $299 Halo 5 bundle. Perhaps burying is too strong a word but it would certainly nullify any advantage MS may have. With a $299 PS4, MS would need a $249 X1 + free games if they want to do something similar to the previous holiday season. At $299 vs $299 the X1 would get absolutely get run over, Halo 5 or not.

freefornow

I am yet to be convinced that the PS4, as a global sales leader where sales are not slowing, has any need to drop the price to $299 this early in it's life cycle.
Dont think the 360 did it (correct me if I'm wrong).

And yes, I understand that increased sales means more PS+ and software revenue, but as things are at the moment, they can have both (revenue from console sales and PS+ sub/software sales).

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
Why did the X1 drop so much in the hourlies?
Maths.

Let's say that PS4 sells 300k during a month.

And let's assume that the market share of games business of Amazon.com is 10%. We have 30k PS4's sold during a month through Amazon.

That's 1000 pieces per day, on average. There is probably some fluctuation, so that during weekends sales are slightly higher. But let's stick to that 1000/day assumption.

The sales are probably concentrated to day time, let's say that 90% of sales happens between 6a.m. and 11p.m. (Now, I am pulling these percentages out of my ass, so feel free to make your own adjustments.) Out of these purchases, let's say 50% take place after office hours, i.e. 5p.m.

We are left with 450 purchases during the 11 hours between 6a.m. and 5p.m. Which is an average of little bit over 40 per hour.

Now, you can see, that a dozen more sales during an hour in the office time can change the position on hourly chart quite drastically. From hour to hour, it is very easy to believe that there is variability in demand. If, during one hour you sell five more Xboxes and five less PS4's, suddenly their order is completely backwards.

Hence, no conclusions whatsoever should be drawn from hourly charts. I don't know, why anybody even bothers to look at them.

Bgamer90

Banned
A $299 PS4 would absolutely do well against a $299 Halo 5 bundle. Perhaps burying is too strong a word but it would certainly nullify any advantage MS may have. With a $299 PS4, MS would need a $249 X1 + free games if they want to do something similar to the previous holiday season. At $299 vs $299 the X1 would get absolutely get run over, Halo 5 or not.

Highly doubt this if Xbox One had Halo 5 with it. PS4 could still do better but I don't think it would completely run it over.

Depends on what they do/have planned. We'll find out how "desperate" they are soon.

And them being under the PS4 in the US when the gen is over would probably be an even bigger disappointment -- hence why there's nothing wrong with them wanting to do that (or better) at this point.

Lol. MS is not Sega or some small company. They're one of the richest companies in the world and they've invested billions of dollars in the XB1. Selling disasterously in the ROTW and only selling in the same ballpark as PS4 (I actually think they'll be 3-4m behind in 3 years) in the US would be disasterous. To really pull ahead of the PS4 they'll have to slash the price by $150+ in the US, which would be equally disasterous financially.

Either way the console has performed so poorly that some serious questions will now be asked about the successor to the Bone, assuming there is even one. I think we may see a dramatic shift in philosophy again as a result of the XB1's performance. Perhaps something cheaper, chasing the Minecraft crowd.

Maths.

Let's say that PS4 sells 300k during a month.

And let's assume that the market share of games business of Amazon.com is 10%. We have 30k PS4's sold during a month through Amazon.

That's 1000 pieces per day, on average. There is probably some fluctuation, so that during weekends sales are slightly higher. But let's stick to that 1000/day assumption.

The sales are probably concentrated to day time, let's say that 90% of sales happens between 6a.m. and 11p.m. (Now, I am pulling these percentages out of my ass, so feel free to make your own adjustments.) Out of these purchases, let's say 50% take place after office hours, i.e. 5p.m.

We are left with 450 purchases during the 11 hours between 6a.m. and 5p.m. Which is an average of little bit over 40 per hour.

Now, you can see, that a dozen more sales during an hour in the office time can change the position on hourly chart quite drastically. From hour to hour, it is very easy to believe that there is variability in demand. If, during one hour you sell five more Xboxes and five less PS4's, suddenly their order is completely backwards.

Hence, no conclusions whatsoever should be drawn from hourly charts. I don't know, why anybody even bothers to look at them.

Hourly charts don't vary much. Once a pattern gets established it generally stays that way until some type of promotion or major release causes a change.

I think we may see a dramatic shift in philosophy again as a result of the XB1's performance. Perhaps something cheaper, chasing the Minecraft crowd.

They already had a major shift in philosophy to chase casuals with the Xbox One, albeit at a higher price point. If they do the same thing again with worse hardware, but cheaper I don't see how it will fair any better.

Bgamer90

Banned
Lol. MS is not Sega or some small company. They're one of the richest companies in the world and they've invested billions of dollars in the XB1. Selling disasterously in the ROTW and only selling in the same ballpark as PS4 (I actually think they'll be 3-4m behind in 3 years) in the US would be disasterous. To really pull ahead of the PS4 they'll have to slash the price by $150+ in the US, which would be equally disasterous financially.

Okay? Never said MS was a small company. Simply said that it would be even worse if they didn't catch up to the PS4 in the US. Catching up to it in the US would be better than not doing it.

Either way the console has performed so poorly that some serious questions will now be asked about the successor to the Bone, assuming there is even one. I think we may see a dramatic shift in philosophy again as a result of the XB1's performance. Perhaps something cheaper, chasing the Minecraft crowd.

This is kind of taking things a bit too far. While I think the next Xbox will be different and less of straight up gaming console (and more of an overall Windows machine based on what they are doing with the Xbox brand now with their Windows 10 push), I'm sure they are still going to chase the gaming crowd. They are still getting solid third party core gaming support, money from that support (e.g.: online subscriptions), and I'm sure we will still see entries in their exclusive gaming franchises 5+ years from now. Would be silly to waste all of that via only chasing the Minecraft crowd.

Game Guru

The funny thing is that a significantly cheaper microconsole will likely not do well compared to the PlayStation consoles either. It's not like any of the microconsoles have done that well so far at least to my knowledge, not even Sony's attempt with PlayStation TV.

Microsoft's problem is that they focus too much on the US Market. That is the simple truth. Both Apple and Google as well as Sony focuses on the worldwide marketplace, which is why they see great success worldwide with iOS, Android, and the PlayStation brand. It's similar to how Nintendo's focus on the Japanese market hurts its potential outside of Japan.

gtj1092

There's not that big of a split in the US for the PS4 (and XB1 obviously) to be viewed in the same "what everyone else has" way that the 360 was over the PS3 last gen (at least not anytime soon).

It doesn't need to be $100 cheaper right now. Again, why should more people get an XB1 over the PS4 right now when the latter is getting bigger (exclusive) games?

Why should MS lose money during lower console selling months that they could probably make up during the Fall (with some of those sales possibly coming from special edition SKUs that are higher than the Xbox One's price now)?

Pretty sure if I took the effort I could find plenty of post from you explaining why the Xbox should be selling more now. Some reasons I remember are holiday momentum, people still buying holiday exclusives, more people now owning an X1 and evangilising it to their friends. Since launch you've just been shifting the time frame of when the Xb1 will rise above the ps4.

If they were able to grow a little over a 100K lead in 2013 to 1 million unit lead by October last year how big do you think the gap will there be by October this year when the lead is starting at 650K? And then you are theorizing the gap after this holiday could be even smaller. Ps4 sales would have to fall off a cliff or the Xb1 would need to double Ps4 sales which I can't see happening when it couldn't be done this past holiday even w/o Ps4 price drop. Seems just like too much wishful thinking.

driver116

Refactoring will be interesting this time around. GDDR5 will continue drop in price while DDR3 sits at around its current price. This could provide wiggle room for Sony on price point, especially towards the holidays. The temp price drop works for Microsoft, so they should just follow suit.

Javin98

Banned
The funny thing is that a significantly cheaper microconsole will likely not do well compared to the PlayStation consoles either. It's not like any of the microconsoles have done that well so far at least to my knowledge, not even Sony's attempt with PlayStation TV.

Microsoft's problem is that they focus too much on the US Market. That is the simple truth. Both Apple and Google as well as Sony focuses on the worldwide marketplace, which is why they see great success worldwide with iOS, Android, and the PlayStation brand. It's similar to how Nintendo's focus on the Japanese market hurts its potential outside of Japan.
Agreed completely. XBox will never beat Playstation in sales if Microsoft keeps focusing on the US only. The 360 was extremely lucky to launch a year earlier than the PS3 and Sony screwed up in the beginning of last gen. I highly doubt that Sony will repeat their disastrous mistake, so if Microsoft wants to win, they have to change their strategy entirely. And hopefully, Microsoft won't continue their indie parity clause next gen.

Bgamer90

Banned
Pretty sure if I took the effort I could find plenty of post from you explaining why the Xbox should be selling more now. Some reasons I remember are holiday momentum, people still buying holiday exclusives, more people now owning an X1 and evangilising it to their friends. Since launch you've just been shifting the time frame of when the Xb1 will rise above the ps4.

I did say why I thought it was possible for the Xbox One to get January [since I thought it would be a low selling month for both consoles (<200K) -- something I was right about] and the game sales did show that many were still buying Xbox Holiday games (a good number of Xbox One multiplats sold better than PS4 multiplats in retail).

I've always felt the PS4 would get the early months of the year after that though (February to June) due to the system having more exclusives. So no, I haven't been just "shifting the time frame"; I've always said that it would take multiple years for the Xbox One to catch up in America and that MS should make major moves quickly (e.g.: what we saw last Holiday season) to do it.

If they were able to grow a little over a 100K lead in 2013 to 1 million unit lead by October last year how big do you think the gap will there be by October this year when the lead is starting at 650K?

(As I've said many times before) a big reason why the gap got that big was due to Destiny and the Destiny bundle. The PS4 in September 2014 got sales similar to what we saw with the Wii last gen during its Septembers (close to 600K in America alone if I remember correctly). That's huge. There's nothing on the PS4 this year in my opinion that will be as big as Destiny was last year -- at least in terms of giving the PS4 similar sales before the Holiday season. So yeah, I don't see why it's somehow crazy for me to think that the gap won't be greatly bigger than what it was last year.

And then you are theorizing the gap after this holiday could be even smaller. Ps4 sales would have to fall off a cliff or the Xb1 would need to double Ps4 sales which I can't see happening when it couldn't be done this past holiday even w/o Ps4 price drop.

No. PS4 sales wouldn't have to fall of a cliff and neither would the Xbox One have to have two times the sales; The PS4 was doing very well during November and December -- the Xbox One simply did better though (NPD).

The Xbox One has bigger games lined up for this year in comparison to 2014. MS is therefore going to have to spread the games out. I think MS has a chance to take August, September, October, November, and December depending on when their games release, as well as what special bundles they will have. Taking all of those months would more than likely cut the gap by a pretty good amount.

The gap being at (say) 500K in January 2016 would indeed be a gap that's smaller than what it is now. Not sure why that's impossible.

Seems just like too much wishful thinking.

Sounds more like you just don't like me thinking/saying that the last few months of the year will be a toss up (NPD) and that it's simply possible for the Xbox One to lower the gap. Your post comes across as if you think I said that it's guaranteed to happen and I never said that. All I did was say that it's possible. Not sure why you are trying to call me out as if I said something controversial.

Welfare

(As I've said many times before) a big reason why the gap got that big was due to Destiny and the Destiny bundle. The PS4 in September 2014 got sales similar to what we saw with the Wii last gen during its Septembers (close to 600K in America alone if I remember correctly). That's huge. There's nothing on the PS4 this year in my opinion that will be as big as Destiny was last year -- at least in terms of giving the PS4 similar sales before the Holiday season. So yeah, I don't see why it's somehow crazy for me to think that the gap won't be greatly bigger than what it was last year.

PS4 did 538k that month. That's more than what the 360 got during Halo 3 (528k)

donny2112

2015's PS4 gap isn't as large as last year's through February, but it's starting off at a higher level, of course. Absent a Destiny-type bump in 2015, it might be that the difference in November 2014 will be ~= the difference in November 2015, like you said.

USConsole_PS4gap_annual_201502.png

Square2015

rJVAa8E.png

(Click to make clearer)
The DC was dead at this point, selling less than 500 / month, last shipments sold out over X'mas. DC LTD still ahead of WiiU.

AniHawk

When you are tracking below even the Dreamcast then boy did you fuck up.

dreamcast wasn't an enormous failure. it just had its life cut early. saturn on the other hand was a huge fuckup. less than 1.3 million of those sold in the us. the dreamcast may have sold 8-10 million in the us had sega made it to 2005 with their console.

not to say that the wii u isn't an enormous failure (taking in context of everything). just defending the dreamcast a little.

dreamcast wasn't an enormous failure. it just had its life cut early. saturn on the other hand was a huge fuckup. less than 1.3 million of those sold in the us. the dreamcast may have sold 8-10 million in the us had sega made it to 2005 with their console.

not to say that the wii u isn't an enormous failure (taking in context of everything). just defending the dreamcast a little.

I forget did the Dreamcast also have a year head start over the PS2?

Yeah the dvd player definitely played its part but it also had a fantastic year one in terms of games.

PS2 was pretty weak in terms of games until it's 2nd holiday season. That is when Final Fantasy X, Metal Gear Solid 2, Gran Turismo 3 (was June 2001), Ico, and Grand Theft Auto III all came out.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Yeah the dvd player definitely played its part but it also had a fantastic year one in terms of games.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong. But didn't Sony or some company release a survey when the PS2 came out about why people bought the console and the number one answer was the Matrix on DVD.

I remember reading this ages ago somewhere but have no idea if it's true or not.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
^ All i can remember of that is Kutaragi-san saying PS3 was like jacking into the Matrix.

"Same interface, same concept"

Yep. DVD Player + sequels to PS1 content (with a HUGE generational jump in graphics) crushed it.

This is a misleading thing i think people misconstrue. Dreamcast didn't die just cause of the hype of the PS2, it died cause Sega was being fired on all cylinders. They had heard about MS making a console, as well as their old Nemesis making a console as well, and realized they could not compete on such a huge market.

The PS2 was their direct competitor at the time yes, but it was only a part of the reason why Sega decided to bow out

Someone correct me if i'm wrong. But didn't Sony or some company release a survey when the PS2 came out about why people bought the console and the number one answer was the Matrix on DVD.

I remember reading this ages ago somewhere but have no idea if it's true or not.

It probably was. Being the cheapest DVD player did a lot for the console. VCR overstayed its welcome and everybody was ready to move on.

hawk2025

I don't understand how losing and then regaining market share cyclically is a winning strategy.

What happens when the competition fights back during the supposed upswing?

Bgamer90

Banned
This is a misleading thing i think people misconstrue. Dreamcast didn't die just cause of the hype of the PS2, it died cause Sega was being fired on all cylinders. They had heard about MS making a console, as well as their old Nemesis making a console as well, and realized they could not compete on such a huge market.

The PS2 was their direct competitor at the time yes, but it was only a part of the reason why Sega decided to bow out

Dreamcast would have done pretty well against Xbox and GameCube I think.

But yeah -- just about everybody I knew (including me) didn't care about the Dreamcast once the PS2 got rolling. 2001 was a fantastic year for the system. Parents/older folks were interested in it due to it being the cheapest DVD player at the time.

LifEndz

I'm listening to the newest dlc podcast and Sessler is on and he just said X1 caught up to PS4 in the U.S. Is this true? I know those holiday sales gained ground, but I didn't know they were even (or practically even).

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm listening to the newest dlc podcast and Sessler is on and he just said X1 caught up to PS4 in the U.S. Is this true? I know those holiday sales gained ground, but I didn't know they were even (or practically even).

Guess he's meaning "caught up" in terms of simply getting closer? Split is 48/52. PS4 is in the lead.

7.22 Million (PS4) vs. 6.6 Million (Xbox One) I believe.

Zophar

It didn't surpass PS4 LTD sales over the holiday, and the PS4 has been outselling it ever since, so I strongly doubt it.

There's nothing on the PS4 this year in my opinion that will be as big as Destiny was last year -- at least in terms of giving the PS4 similar sales before the Holiday season. So yeah, I don't see why it's somehow crazy for me to think that the gap won't be greatly bigger than what it was last year.

Wouldn't MGS5 make a decent boost to the PS4? I know its also on the XB1 but most people see the MGS series as a Playstation series more so than a multi-platform. Also if Sony is smart they will release the MGS PS4 system in the US for the Holiday.

LifEndz

Guess he's meaning "caught up" in terms of simply getting closer? Split is 48/52. PS4 is in the lead.

7.22 Million (PS4) vs. 6.6 Million (Xbox One) I believe.

I guess...but he said it as if the margin was negligible at most. Based on the numbers you posted, the difference seems significant, if not substantial. Whatever. Sessler gon Sessler.

pixelation

Thanks. Always amazed when someone can say something with absolute conviction when they haven't confirmed it first.

Are you talking about me?, if so know this... MS would be screaming from the rooftops if that were the case, and if you pay attention to NPD threads you'd know that's not the case, PS4 has been gaining back lost ground since the start of the year, so nothing points to that being true.

Bgamer90

Banned
Wouldn't MGS5 make a decent boost to the PS4? I know its also on the XB1 but most people see the MGS series as a Playstation series more so than a multi-platform. Also if Sony is smart they will release the MGS PS4 system in the US for the Holiday.

MGS5 should give the PS4 a boost; It's just that I'm expecting Halo 5 to release in September too though (due to there being so many shooters coming out late this year).

As I pretty much said in my post, I think the second half of the year will largely depend on how MS spreads out their games + the bundles they'll introduce.

Top Bottom