• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

onQ123

Kind of crazy that their are even ACU bundles to sell 3 months after the holiday sale ended.

Well it's basically just the Xbox One with download codes so it's not like they are going to run out of bandwidth for you to download ACU with lol.

But on another note these 5 months went by fast since they introduced that bundle.

Bgamer90

Banned
True, but there's no rush for it.

MCC's been out long enough, has been at low enough prices, without the legs necessary to make this bundle extra appealing beyond the offers that Xbox has had over the past 6 months.

Yep; Would say that many who are getting an Xbox One right now would have gotten one without the free game inside since those games have been out for a while now.

Still, with one bundle currently at #30 and the other at #80, I think it's fair to say sales of XBox One is currently dropping significantly.

I wouldn't say this. The sales are being split between the two. AC Unity bundle would more than likely be higher (20s... maybe even teens) if the MCC bundle didn't exist.

2thepoint

Yep; Would say that many who are getting an Xbox One right now would have gotten one without the free game inside since those games have been out for a while now.

BG, do you think Microsoft will become more competitive worldwide and eliminate the lead once the fabled Halo 5/ $299 price point drops this year?

I suspect Sony may be forced to drop aswell to counter this greatness that will befall the world.

Javin98

Banned
I wouldn't say this. The sales are being split between the two. AC Unity bundle would more than likely be higher (20s... maybe even teens) if the MCC bundle didn't exist.
You really do seem very optimistic about XB1 sales. When the MCC bundle is all the way at #80, I think it's fair to say it's not contributing much to sales. Last month Amazon's charts had both consoles much closer to each other compared to other retailers because of the insane bundle. It's natural for sales to drop when the offer is gone.

Bgamer90

Banned
Isn't a bit weird to totally exclude that bundle? I mean, those sales would not have disappeared 100% if Destiny had not existed. Or am I reading it wrong?

Yeah maybe if we cut out the black friday XB1 sales boost the gap would of been bigger. People can't just ignore sales to fit their picture.

Not sure where you guys are coming from (especially you gtj1092). My whole point about the PS4 having nothing similar to 2014's Destiny hype + Destiny bundle before this year's Holiday season means that I'm not excluding the bundle. I'm using the bundle to make my point.

Donny excluded the bundle to back up what I said + make an idea of what a "typical" September for the PS4 might look like (don't know for sure though obviously).

I mean X1 has every reason to be winning NPD right now it's cheaper, has more exclusives, live>psn, 900p is good enough, halo, 360 owner upgrade loyalty, OS updates and its America.
I don't believe this myself

::scratches head:: Ehh... What?

The February gap was bigger than last year. March likely will be too as Xbox One has nothing and last year had Titanfall + bundle + crazy deals. Why does it matter if PS4 doesn't have as big of a September? There may be a Destiny expansion + MGS5 so it may not even be that much of a difference.

Bgamer90

Banned
BG, do you think Microsoft will become more competitive worldwide and eliminate the lead once the fabled Halo 5/ $299 price point drops this year?

They aren't going to be more competive worldwide. The "worldwide battle" is pretty much a done deal at this point. They are focusing on territories they actually have a shot at catching up in.

On top of this, there will never be a $299 Halo 5 bundle. Enough people will more than likely get an XB1 for Halo 5 this Holiday season for MS to not have to put it in the box for free. The Halo 5 bundle will more than likely be a higher priced special edition bundle. $299 bundle will probabaly be for another game (maybe Tomb Raider).

I suspect Sony may be forced to drop aswell to counter this greatness that will befall the world.

Sarcasm?

You really do seem very optimistic about XB1 sales. When the MCC bundle is all the way at #80, I think it's fair to say it's not contributing much to sales. Last month Amazon's charts had both consoles much closer to each other compared to other retailers because of the insane bundle. It's natural for sales to drop when the offer is gone.

Not being optimistic at all. I just know how the charts on Amazon are. It's not smart to use those charts on Amazon to predict numbers in that fashion -- this was shown many times last year (February 2014 comes to mind).

The charts have only been good (at least so far) to predict the rank of that month's NPD.

heidern

Last year the Xbone had Titanfall and then the diskinect cutting a hundred dollars off of the retail price. There's a chance Sony will increase their lead more quickly this year than last. Also a possibility that a PS4 cut to $299 could give a massive boost to sales and leave MS in the dust no matter what they do to try and counter.

On the other hand MS may have a stronger line up for the second half of the year including Halo which might give them momentum overall. It's not a clear call either way.

Javin98

Banned
Not being optimistic at all. I just know how sales on Amazon are. It's not smart to use those positions on Amazon to predict numbers -- this was shown many times last year. The positions have only been good (at least so far) to predict the positions of that month's NPD.
I agree, but when both bundles have been so far away from the PS4 on the hourly charts for a few days, I think we can get a rough estimation of the gap between the two.

TomShoe

Banned
DAE think Microsoft isn't going to bundle Halo 5 this upcoming holiday? It doesn't really make much financial sense, unless your only concern is selling XBOs. Halo 5 is going to sell very well by itself regardless of whether it's bundled or not, similar to Sony potentially bundling Uncharted.

They'd probably be better off bundling a 3rd party game that's not guaranteed to sell well, or hit up Ubisoft for another AC romp. My prediction is that they bundle Tomb Raider to take full advantage of that exclusivity window. Sales on PS4 later will be pitiful (negativity, people buying XBOs to play it, UC4), but that's by design.

donny2112

Isn't a bit weird to totally exclude that bundle? I mean, those sales would not have disappeared 100% if Destiny had not existed. Or am I reading it wrong?

Follow the graph until August for 2014 and then imagine where it would be in October without the large bump. That's around 600-650K. It's not ignoring an additional two months, but those additional two months wouldn't be much if they followed the trends from the previous months. It's important to note that that is just to estimate the YTD PS4-XB1 difference in 2014 without the Destiny/White PS4 bundle. 2015 is already showing differences in just the first two months, so it's not going to be a carbon copy of 2014, anyways. Have to use something if we want to predict to a diff in October 2015, though. :)

The February gap was bigger than last year. March likely will be too as Xbox One has nothing and last year had Titanfall + bundle + crazy deals. Why does it matter if PS4 doesn't have as big of a September? There may be a Destiny expansion + MGS5 so it may not even be that much of a difference.

Yeah, obviously that's why they still play the game even if all the predictions say the same thing. Sony and Microsoft will still sell their systems and we'll see where things go this year. You can see how often we get it wrong just looking one month at a time in the predictions thread, much less projecting out for the next 8 months. Still fun to guess about it, though. ;)

On the other hand MS may have a stronger line up for the second half of the year including Halo which might give them momentum overall. It's not a clear call either way.

Halo is now 2 releases into a bit of a slump: Halo 4 turned off some longtime fans of the series and we can all agree that the MCC was a well documented hot mess at launch.

I'm not entirely sure that Halo 5 will have the pull necessary to be a system seller, either. A lot of the people who would've been interested in an Xbone for halo 5 more than likely already bought one for the MCC. It might be a similar situation the Wii U saw when Smash came out: a lot of the people who would've picked up a Wii U for smash had already done so for other games so there wasn't a noticeable bump in sales when it released.

Javin98

Banned
DAE think Microsoft isn't going to bundle Halo 5 this upcoming holiday? It doesn't really make much financial sense, unless your only concern is selling XBOs. Halo 5 is going to sell very well by itself regardless of whether it's bundled or not, similar to Sony potentially bundling Uncharted.

They'd probably be better off bundling a 3rd party game that's not guaranteed to sell well, or hit up Ubisoft for another AC romp. My prediction is that they bundle Tomb Raider to take full advantage of that exclusivity window. Sales on PS4 later will be pitiful (negativity, people buying XBOs to play it, UC4), but that's by design.
Well, it really depends on how aggressive Microsoft will be this holiday season. If they go for insane bundles just to reclaim some of the lead the PS4 got throughout the year, I can definitely see them bundling Halo 5.

today the xb1 disappeared from the top 20 (21)

cZggGr6.png

Bloodborne CE going up now that amazon has more stock

Well, it really depends on how aggressive Microsoft will be this holiday season. If they go for insane bundles just to reclaim some of the lead the PS4 got throughout the year, I can definitely see them bundling Halo 5.

I could see a Halo 5 bundle, but IMO, it's going to be a special expensive version ala their CoD bundle last year.

For what it's worth, I see MS as still being very confident about Halo in US, which was why the MCC bundle was introduced late, even though some tier-2 regions like Japan/Brazil all had Halo MCC bundle much earlier. IMO, it was because MS was confident Halo could sell on its own merit without needing to cost $0 bundled.

And frankly, it's not as if MCC bombed. Still sold a lot, just... well. not phenomenal. Frankly, I expect Halo 5 to double what MCC did easily.

Elandyll

Banned

Well, by all indications MGS V should be huge for PS4 (it'll be a big title on XB1 too, but all signs point to it tipping heavily on the PS4 side).
We can't possibly know just HOW big though, and now that UC4 is out of the picture ... it's kind of a wide open space in terms of AAA retail games for Sony when looking at the July -> December period (MLB 15 & Toukiden Kiwami are end of March, followed by FF X/X2 in early May and Batman Arkham Knight in early June - obviously this last one not an exclusive but a strongly attached franchise marketing wise, unlike I believe Mortal Kombat X in mid April which does not appear to me to have any kind of co-marketing attached to it - but I could be wrong about that).

On one hand I can't believe they (Sony) would delay their biggest exclusive title of the year 7 months ahead of (likely) release without something nearly as big in the pipeline, but otoh I can't believe that something nearly as big as UC4 and exclusive would remain hidden 6 months before fall, with the possibility of said big exclusive(s) not being revealed until June (3 months before the start of the fall, and 4 months before the start of the Holiday season).

We are about to live in "interesting" times it seems :)

Bgamer90

Banned
The February gap was bigger than last year.

Janaury wasn't though (Janaury 2014 was almost a 2:1 month).

March likely will be too as Xbox One has nothing and last year had Titanfall + bundle + crazy deals.

"Crazy deals" that were $100-150 more than the current price of the system. Wouldn't be surprised if the Xbox One's sales for March are within 75K less of what they were last year.

Why does it matter if PS4 doesn't have as big of a September?

Because September played a big role in last year's gap. The hype for Destiny greatly helped PS4's sales before last year's Holiday season. Not sure why people (especially those who are greatly talking about the PS4) would want to ignore/downplay that.

There may be a Destiny expansion + MGS5 so it may not even be that much of a difference.

Not sure what you are trying to say here. Are you trying to say that both of them together may give the PS4 similar sales to last September in North America? If so, then I definitely disagree.

Neither have as much hype as the launch of Destiny had last year.

I agree, but when both bundles have been so far away from the PS4 on the hourly charts for a few days, I think we can get a rough estimation of the gap between the two.

February 2014 Amazon Best Sellers:

PS4 -- #3
Xbox One -- #23

February 2014 NPD:

PS4 -- 268K
Xbox One -- 258K

Javin98

Banned
I could see a Halo 5 bundle, but IMO, it's going to be a special expensive version ala their CoD bundle last year.

For what it's worth, I see MS as still being very confident about Halo in US, which was why the MCC bundle was introduced late, even though some tier-2 regions like Japan/Brazil all had Halo MCC bundle much earlier. IMO, it was because MS was confident Halo could sell on its own merit without needing to cost $0 bundled.

And frankly, it's not as if MCC bombed. Still sold a lot, just... well. not phenomenal. Frankly, I expect Halo 5 to double what MCC did easily.
Yep, agreed completely. There is no doubt that Halo 5 will sell amazingly well, but definitely not up to Halo 3 par. It will definitely move quite a lot of units as well. But sometimes it feels as if Microsoft puts too much faith in the brand to the point of releasing MCC in its broken state.

thebloo

Follow the graph until August for 2014 and then imagine where it would be in October without the large bump. That's around 600-650K. It's not ignoring an additional two months, but those additional two months wouldn't be much if they followed the trends from the previous months. It's important to note that that is just to estimate the YTD PS4-XB1 difference in 2014 without the Destiny/White PS4 bundle. 2015 is already showing differences in just the first two months, so it's not going to be a carbon copy of 2014, anyways. Have to use something if we want to predict to a diff in October 2015, though. :)

I feel you're not excluding the bundle. You're totally excluding Destiny and eventual console sales it would have done regardless of bundling. That's my point. There are games coming out that (bundles or not) will sell consoles. Deleting a data point to create a "reality" seems wrong to me.

TomShoe

Banned
Well, by all indications MGS V should be huge for PS4 (it'll be a big title on XB1 too, but all signs point to it tipping heavily on the PS4 side).
We can't possibly know just HOW big though, and now that UC4 is out of the picture ... it's kind of a wide open space in terms of AAA retail games for Sony when looking at the July -> December period (MLB 15 & Toukiden Kiwami are end of March, followed by FF X/X2 in early May and Batman Arkham Knight in early June - obviously this last one not an exclusive but a strongly attached franchise marketing wise, unlike I believe Mortal Kombat X in mid April which does not apepar to me to have any kind of co-marketing attached to it - but I could be wrong about that).

On one hand I can't believe they (Sony) would delay their biggest exclusive title of the year 7 months ahead of (likely) release without something nearly as big in the pipeline, but otoh I can't believe that something nearly as big as UC4 and exclusive would remain hidden 6 months before fall, with the possibility of said big exclusive(s) not being revealed until June (3 months before the start of the fall, and 4 months before the start of the Holiday season).

It's possible they can fill that period with a few titles. Both Until Dawn and R&C have announced release dates. Persona 5, Disgaea 5, and DQ Heroes will also be released in that time span.

Pezus

MGSV will be huge for PS4. It could help it match last year. Certainly if it gets a bundle

Pezus

February 2014 Amazon Best Sellers:

PS4 -- #3
Xbox One -- #23

February 2014 NPD:

PS4 -- 268K
Xbox One -- 258K

I believe the major reason for that was PS4 being supply constrained in many places other than Amazon (thus swaying more sales towards Amazon). Neither console is supply constrained this year.

donny2112

I feel you're not excluding the bundle. You're totally excluding Destiny and eventual console sales it would have done regardless of bundling. That's my point. There are games coming out that (bundles or not) will sell consoles. Deleting a data point to create a "reality" seems wrong to me.

The premise/question given was that if there is no Destiny/White PS4 bump in 2015, what would the PS4 lead be heading into Nov/Dec 2015? That's what was done.

Deleting a data point to create a "reality" is wrong. It's why I don't agree with removing Wii from last gen overall industry totals. Thankfully, that's not what I'm doing here. I'm trying to predict a 2015 YTD PS4-XB1 difference without a bump like 2014 Destiny/White PS4 by looking at 2014 and trying to see what would've happened without a Destiny/White PS4 bump. No reality changes. Just trying to predict 2015 with the given constraints. :)

Pezus

I'm personally banking on the gap in March to be bigger than this month, but less than March 2014.

How big was it last year, again?

February gap was much bigger this year + Amazon is showing PS4 firmly ahead in March this year so far with Bloodborne on the way. I'd expect it to be at least as big, especially since XB1 effectively got a price cut+Titanfall last year in March.

Welfare

February gap was much bigger this year + Amazon is showing PS4 firmly ahead in March this year so far with Bloodborne on the way. I'd expect it to be at least as big, especially since XB1 effectively got a price cut+Titanfall last year in March.

Oh shit I was looking at the wrong month's gap. March 2014's gap was 60k.

I expect March's gap to be less than 90k

Pezus

The premise/question given was that if there is no Destiny/White PS4 bump in 2015, what would the PS4 lead be heading into Nov/Dec 2015? That's what was done.

Deleting a data point to create a "reality" is wrong. It's why I don't agree with removing Wii from last gen overall industry totals. Thankfully, that's not what I'm doing here. I'm trying to predict a 2015 YTD PS4-XB1 difference without a bump like 2014 Destiny/White PS4 by looking at 2014 and trying to see what would've happened without a Destiny/White PS4 bump. No reality changes. Just trying to predict 2015 with the given constraints. :)

But then you can't eliminate the whole 500k gap, can you, since PS4 had been outselling XB1 all year prior to that month you'd expect the gap to grow quite a bit in September 2014 even without the Destiny bundle. Also, September almost consistently gets at least one big game release so you can't eliminate that completely. This year will also have a huge PS4-associated game release in September.

Intrigue

Banned
I mean X1 has every reason to be winning NPD right now it's cheaper, has more exclusives, live>psn, 900p is good enough, halo, 360 owner upgrade loyalty, OS updates and its America.
I don't believe this myself

You are correct in 2 parts: Cheaper and Brand loyalty in america.

xaosslug

people thinking Halo 5 is coming this year are fooling themselves. MS will delay (ha!) the official announcement as long as possible, but just like Quantum Break it will eventually be pushed to 2016.

Welfare

people thinking Halo 5 is coming this year are fooling themselves. MS will delay (ha!) the official announcement as long as possible, but just like Quantum Break it will eventually be pushed to 2016.

People got to play a beta back in January. It's coming out this year, everything else be damned.

Conduit

Banned

True, true. Gap in February 2015 is bigger than last year in February. Also, this month Bloodborne and in April MLB 15 : The Show ( 3/31, basically April )

driver116

We can't possibly know just HOW big though, and now that UC4 is out of the picture ... it's kind of a wide open space in terms of AAA retail games for Sony when looking at the July -> December period (MLB 15 & Toukiden Kiwami are end of March, followed by FF X/X2 in early May and Batman Arkham Knight in early June - obviously this last one not an exclusive but a strongly attached franchise marketing wise, unlike I believe Mortal Kombat X in mid April which does not apepar to me to have any kind of co-marketing attached to it - but I could be wrong about that).

They need something big to fill the gap. GT7 would be ideal, but frankly I can't see it happening. Maybe they'll chuck in UC:Trilogy Remaster or GoW Remaster by e3.

onQ123

Not sure where you guys are coming from (especially you gtj1092). My whole point about the PS4 having nothing similar to 2014's Destiny hype + Destiny bundle before this year's Holiday season means that I'm not excluding the bundle. I'm using the bundle to make my point.

Donny excluded the bundle to back up what I said + make an idea of what a "typical" September for the PS4 might look like (don't know for sure though obviously).

::scratches head:: Ehh... What?

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD , Metal Gear Solid V , Bloodborn ,Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster ,Ultra Street Fighter 4 & so on will keep PS4 moving enough to widen the sales gap before the holidays.

There was like a 80K unit gap last month with The Order selling less than 300K. PS4 lead by about 250K the month Destiny came out it wasn't as big of a boost in the US as you make it out to be. Don't forget that Xbox One had deals with free games that month The Madden Bundle with Destiny for free would get you an Xbox One & 2 games for a cheaper price than the PS4 & Destiny bundle.

You bring up the Destiny bundle & say Sony don't have anything similar but look at all the help Xbox One had last year & the big price drops.

donny2112

You bring up the Destiny bundle & say Sony don't have anything similar but look at all the help Xbox One had last year & the big price drops.

Looking at the YTD diff, there was a change in the slope after the June price drop/Kinect removal, so there's an argument to be made that the XB1 changes pushed the diffs down and the Destiny bundle pushed it back to what it would've been otherwise. Yeah, there are lots of ways to look at things. :)

Elandyll

Banned
It's possible they can fill that period with a few titles. Both Until Dawn and R&C have announced release dates. Persona 5, Disgaea 5, and DQ Heroes will also be released in that time span.

Until Dawn and R&C Redux have release dates?

I thought Until Dawn was "summer", and R&C was still "2015" ?

Now of course quite a few nice titles are heading toward the PS4 (and I'm not about to engage in www.listwar.com), but I was thinking about "big" AAA exclusive retail titles to fill in the end of year block (typically a 2-3 exclusive AAA title season).

As mentionned before, GT7 could be a candidate (typically Sony/ PD announce the release dates for the GTs during spring or E3 of the same year, or at least it was the case for GT5P, GT5 and GT6 it seems).
I have to wonder if Santa Monica's new God Of War title couldn't be the ace in Sony's sleeves (as improbable as this sounds) ... Unless they are really super confident in the new IPs supposedly prepared by either Bend and / or GG.

The other possibilities being something out of left field by Quantic Dreams (haven't heard much form them since 2013) and/ or Media Molecules (who might already be busy enough with Tearaway Unfolded, also now a rumored Summer title, but there's this rumored 2nd team working on the concept we saw back at the PS4 reveal ...).

Bgamer90

Banned
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD , Metal Gear Solid V , Bloodborn ,Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster ,Ultra Street Fighter 4 & so on will keep PS4 moving enough to widen the sales gap before the holidays.

I'm sorry but none of those games have as much hype in North America as Destiny did. I mean, (not to be rude but) I don't even see why it's a debate.

PS4 lead by about 250K the month Destiny came out it wasn't as big of a boost in the US as you make it out to be.

September making up around 1/4 of that year's gap is definitely a big boost. As (I believe) Donny pointed out, the PS4 with Destiny did better than what the Xbox 360 did during the launch of Halo 3 (which was the 360's best September). So that was definitely not a "typical September".

Don't forget that Xbox One had deals with free games that month The Madden Bundle with Destiny for free would get you an Xbox One & 2 games for a cheaper price than the PS4 & Destiny bundle.

Not sure what that has to do with anything I said. Destiny's hype greatly helped the PS4 last year. It's funny since you guys are greatly siding with the PS4 in this discussion while at the same time greatly downplaying what Destiny did for the PS4 last year. It's very strange to me.

You do realize you just further proved my point right? Xbox One had "all that help" but yet the PS4 still did much better due to the hype of Destiny and its marketing being tied to the Playstation brand (the majority of XB1 bundles you brought up released after Destiny launched anyway).

Lol so hope and assuming sony won't do anything again is how xb1 will take over the us from the looks of things.

Who is assuming that Sony isn't going to do anything?

Ombala

MS have no problem too release broken Halo games so it will come out even if its not ready.

Conduit

Banned
I'm sorry but none of those games have as much hype in North America as Destiny did. I mean, (not to be rude but) I don't even see why it's a debate.

You forgot what kind of help PS3 had in US with MGS IV when it came out. IIRC - over 410k. At that time ( 2008 ), PS3 had bad reputation. Don't underestimate Metal Gear in US. Metal Gear series sold really well in US.

onQ123

September making up around 1/4 of that year's gap is definitely a big boost. As (I believe) Donny pointed out, the PS4 with Destiny did better than what the Xbox 360 did during the launch of Halo 3 (which was the 360's best September). So that was definitely not a "typical September".

Not sure what that has to do with anything I said. Destiny's hype greatly helped the PS4 last year. It's funny since you guys are greatly siding with the PS4 in this discussion while at the same time greatly downplaying what Destiny did for the PS4 last year. It's very strange to me.

You do realize you just further proved my point right? Xbox One had "all that help" but yet the PS4 still did much better due to the hype of Destiny and its marketing being tied to the Playstation brand (the majority of XB1 bundles you brought up released after Destiny launched anyway).

The games I mentioned don't have to be as hyped as Destiny was because like I said you brought up the Destiny bundle without mentioning all the help that Xbox One had last year with bundles & price drops. Last March Xbox One had Titan Fall bundles & that game was hyped to the heavens so the next few months could see PS4 pulling away with bigger sales gaps than last year. Titan Fall & the $399 non Kinect Xbox One happened last year in the time period from March - July. what's going to help them keep up this year?

The gap could be 150K this month.

Gojeran

Yay monster hunter 4 ultimate! So well deserved. Such brilliant game design and absolutely staggering amount of content. 40 bucks is over delivers on value. Bravo capcom now port it to pc ps4 and wii u xbone etc!

Bgamer90

Banned
You forgot what kind of help PS3 had in US with MGS IV when it came out. IIRC - over 410k. At that time ( 2008 ), PS3 had bad reputation. Don't underestimate Metal Gear in US. Metal Gear series sold really well in US.

It helped because it was exclusive.

I mean, don't get me wrong -- MGS5 is definitely going to cause a boost in PS4 sales but I don't think it's going to cause a boost similar to what happened with PS3 and MGS4 since a lot of that was due to the game being exclusive (as well as it being the system's very first "BIG" exclusive in my opinion).

The games I mentioned don't have to be as hyped as Destiny was because like I said you brought up the Destiny bundle without mentioning all the help that Xbox One had last year with bundles & price drops.

But "all that help the Xbox One got last year" doesn't really have anything to do with what I said. I simply said that there's nothing on the PS4 this year before the Holiday season that's as big as Destiny was last year in my opinion.

Last March Xbox One had Titan Fall bundles & that game was hyped to the heavens so the next few months could see PS4 pulling away with bigger sales gaps than last year. Titan Fall & the $399 non Kinect Xbox One happened last year in the time period from March - July.

Yes Titanfall was hyped but (again), the Xbox One SKUs were very expensive at that time ($450-$500) -- more expensive in price than the PS4. There being Xbox One SKUs cheaper than the PS4 will have an impact on the "gap build up" this year (even if PS4 wins all of the NPD months during the first half of the year).

You also mentioned the kinectless bundle introduction. That bundle was released during a month that's known for being pretty low in console sales (June). The Summer months usually don't add much to gaps [unless a console is selling as well as the Nintendo Wii was :) ].

...what's going to help them keep up this year?

As I said before I could see the Xbox One taking August to December depending on what bundles are planned as well as how MS spreads their 2015 Xbox exclusives out.

Top Bottom