• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

onQ123

It helped because it was exclusive.

I mean, don't get me wrong -- MGS5 is definitely going to cause a boost in PS4 sales but I don't think it's going to cause a boost similar to what happened with PS3 and MGS4 since a lot of that was due to the game being exclusive (as well as it being the system's very first "BIG" exclusive in my opinion).

But "all that help the Xbox One got last year" doesn't really have anything to do with what I said. I simply said that there's nothing on the PS4 this year before the Holiday season that's as big as Destiny was last year in my opinion.

Yes Titanfall was hyped but (again), the Xbox One SKUs were very expensive at that time ($450-$500) -- more expensive in price than the PS4. There being Xbox One SKUs cheaper than the PS4 will have an impact on the "gap build up" this year (even if PS4 wins all of the NPD months during the first half of the year).

You also mentioned the kinectless bundle introduction. That bundle was released during a month that's known for being pretty low in console sales (June). The Summer months usually don't add much to gaps [unless a console is selling as well as the Nintendo Wii was :) ].

As I said before I could see the Xbox One taking August to December depending on what bundles are planned as well as how MS spreads their 2015 Xbox exclusives out.

So you don't think MGS5 can give the PS4 a Destiny like sales boost because it's not exclusive? even though Destiny wasn't exclusive it self?

Jomjom

Banned
So you don't think MGS5 can give the PS4 a Destiny like sales boost because it's not exclusive? even though Destiny wasn't exclusive it self?

Yeah dont really get that especially when MGS is an established IP and Destiny was brand new with pretty lukewarm previews. Yes it was made by Bungie but i doubt that the majority of the public who bought it knew that.

Consumers know the IP not the dev. I doubt CoD players can keep track of who the heck is developing each year's release outside of maybe activision being the publisher.

Bgamer90

Banned

No, I don't think so. It doesn't have the same amount of pre-launch hype that Destiny had.

Yeah dont really get that especially when MGS is an established IP and Destiny was brand new with pretty lukewarm previews.

MGS isn't really the type of game that would attract a large mainstream audience in the same way that Destiny did last year.

Yes it was made by Bungie but i doubt that the majority of the public who bought it knew that. Consumers know the IP not the dev. I doubt CoD players can keep track of who the heck is developing each year's release outside of maybe activision being the publisher.

Many knew that Destiny was "from the creators of Halo"; the game got a lot of hype due to that alone.

Jomjom

Banned
I don't think so when Destiny had a lot of hype even before the PS4 released.

I really think you are overstating the kind of hype that destiny had. It certainly wasn't even up to the level of Titanfall hype with its "84 billion awards" before the game released.

Conduit

Banned
I mean, don't get me wrong -- MGS5 is definitely going to cause a boost in PS4 sales but I don't think it's going to cause a boost similar to what happened with PS3 and MGS4 since a lot of that was due to the game being exclusive (as well as it being the system's very first "BIG" exclusive in my opinion).

Majority of Xbone owners doesn't care about Metal Gear franchise. Every Metal Gear Solid that was released on Xbox platform sold poorly. So, you can consider Metal Gear Solid as a PS4 "exclusive".

I don't think so when Destiny had a lot of hype even before the PS4 released.

Have you seen Titanfall? That was a huge hype!

hawk2025

Majority of Xbone owners doesn't care about Metal Gear franchise. Every Metal Gear Solid that was released on Xbox platform sold poorly. So, you can consider Metal Gear Solid as a PS4 exclusive.

You really can't, I don't think.
The demographics change, especially this early into the generation.

Not that I believe that the bump will be equivalent for the Xbox and the PS4, but I don't quite buy this line of thinking.

Not that I believe that the bump will be equivalent for the Xbox and the PS4, but I don't quite buy this line of thinking.

Look at the sales for Final Fantasy Type-O on PS4 compared to Xbox One. The demographics have not changed. much at all. Japanese game = PlayStation.

Ground Zeroes sales were heavily skewed towards PlayStation so we have some evidence already.

Conduit

Banned

Demographics didn't change!

EDIT : beaten by StrongBlackVine

hawk2025

Look at the sales for Final Fantasy Type-O on PS4 compared to Xbox One. The demographics have not changed. much at all. Japanese game = PlayStation.

Ground Zeroes sales were heavily skewed towards PlayStation so we have some evidence already.

Wait, do we have any info on Type-0 sales yet?

You are right, Ground Zeroes was heavily PS4-skewed and I had forgotten about that, but then that brings up another point -- will the more hardcore players that are super into MGS already have bought into the PS4 by the time MGSV launches due to Ground Zeroes?

You are right, Ground Zeroes was heavily PS4-skewed and I had forgotten about that, but then that brings up another point -- will the more hardcore players that are super into MGS already have bought into the PS4 by the time MGSV launches due to Ground Zeroes?

I can ask the same question about Halo 5 and MCC. I think the answer is no on both accounts.

As far as sales for Type-0 just Amazon Top 100 hourly rankings.

PS4 Type-0 = #4
Xbox One Type-0 = #82

That is a huge gap.

Bgamer90

Banned
Ok, I'll bite then:

How are you quantifying it?

Many months of various articles and videos released about Destiny before the game released, the amount of comments and/or viewers that content got, advertising build-up, social media, etc.

Destiny was huge.

I really think you are overstating the kind of hype that destiny had. It certainly wasn't even up to the level of Titanfall hype with its "84 billion awards" before the game released.

I think you guys are forgetting how much Destiny was hyped last year. It was definitely right up there with Titanfall -- possibly even bigger due to it being on more consoles.

Conduit

Banned

By Aquamarine :

MGS V : GZ

PS4 - 54%
XB1 - 20%
PS3 - 19%
360 - 7%
I think you guys are forgetting how much Destiny was hyped last year. It was definitely right up there with Titanfall -- possibly even bigger due to it being on more consoles.

LOL, no! Not even close!

hawk2025

Many months of various articles and videos released about Destiny before the game released, the amount of comments and/or viewers that content got, advertising build-up, social media, etc.

Destiny was huge.

I think this is absolutely impossible to measure without some actual data and relevant metrics.

Simple attention bias completely shifts perception of how much "hype" something is receiving, so IMO this conversation is a non-starter until someone goes through the work of posting up some metrics of the two games, which I don't think would be public.

It's not that I don't believe that Destiny didn't have more hype per se, it's just that without actually quantifying it and understanding exactly how hype translates to sales, any arguments around it are pretty weak, IMO.

Bgamer90

Banned
Majority of Xbone owners doesn't care about Metal Gear franchise. Every Metal Gear Solid that was released on Xbox platform sold poorly. So, you can consider Metal Gear Solid as a PS4 "exclusive".

Different situation... The PS4 isn't the console that's behind.

The PS3 was behind during that time and a good amount of 360 owners back then bought a PS3 because of Metal Gear Solid 4.

Have you seen Titanfall? That was a huge hype!

What does Titanfall have to do with Destiny's hype compared to MGS 5?

I definitely think Metal Gear will do better on Playstation (don't doubt that at all) but I wouldn't use Final Fantasy as evidence of it.

I would say that the Xbox demographic would be far more opened to a Japanese "movie-like" action game than a Japanese RPG.

Game Guru

Even if demographics did change, they would change to favor the more popular platform... which is PS4. Metal Gear and Final Fantasy fans are going to favor the PS4 a lot more because they've been buying PlayStations for over 20 years.

crazyprac

I have to say I don't think I've ever seen any game hyped as titanfall. Even made bish go inside a bunker when the Xbox didn't beat ps4.

hawk2025

Lest we forget, Destiny also ended up doing marginally better on the Xbox in actual non-hardware related software sales compared to the PS4 version, and yet the massive September boost was still there and very relevant.

I really don't know where BGamer is going with that line of argument, given this.

I think this is absolutely impossible to measure without some actual data and relevant metrics.

Simple attention bias completely shifts perception of how much "hype" something is receiving, so IMO this conversation is a non-starter until someone goes through the work of posting up some metrics of the two games, which I don't think would be public.

It's not that I don't believe that Destiny didn't have more hype per se, it's just that without actually quantifying it and understanding exactly how hype translates to sales, any arguments around it are pretty weak, IMO.
Destiny was rated 8Mh (Megahypes) while Titanfall broke the scale at 11Mh. For comparison, Bloodborne is at 7Mh. This is on a logarithmic scale.

Bgamer90

Banned
LOL, no! Not even close!

I would say that sales of the XB1 during the month that Titanfall launched vs. sales of the PS4 when Destiny launched seem to prove otherwise.

Heh, I really don't know what to say then and I'm greatly surprised that this is even a debate.

I mean, it's impossible to completely nail how much hype Destiny got but video views, comments, articles, and ads are definitely all things that can be used to show how much a game is being hyped by the media and its audience.

I mean not to be rude but it feels like I'm in a different world. I can't believe that's Destiny's hype last year is even something that's being debated.

Being called and/or viewed as an "Xbox One defender" (for simply having a difference of opinion) while at the same time getting criticized by some of the same people for saying how well the PS4 did because of Destiny is simply strange and ironic.

I have to say I don't think I've ever seen any game hyped as titanfall. Even made bish go inside a bunker when the Xbox didn't beat ps4.

Things probably would have been even more of a meltdown if the PS4 didn't beat the Xbox One during the month Destiny launched.

Destiny was rated 8Mh (Megahypes) while Titanfall broke the scale at 11Mh. For comparison, Bloodborne is at 7Mh. This is on a logarithmic scale.

lol.

Anyhow, I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4>X1 gap in the US is back up to ~1million before the holiday season starts. Halo will probably close the gap but then Uncharted 4 and SSV in 2016 will just widen it again.

Talax

Look at the sales for Final Fantasy Type-O on PS4 compared to Xbox One.
SE already released numbers???? I did not see that. How much did it sell? I haven't checked this thread out for three days.

Edit: You were basing it on Amazon. Sorry didn't notice that post. Still a crazy amount of difference in the sales of the two versions.

Conduit

Banned
I would say that sales of the XB1 during the month that Titanfall launched vs. sales of the PS4 when Destiny launched seem to prove otherwise.

WTF? again! Media hyped Titanfall waaaaaaaay more then Destiny. Basically it was 2nd Jesus coming! Media EXPECT that MS will win NPD and MS didn't beat PS4 that month. Destiny is multiplatform. Game sold great on PS4 and Xbone. Just Sony had marketing deal with Activision ( White PS4 Destiny bundle ). And of course PS4 sold well that month ( everybody wanted white PS4 ) cuz PS4 was way more popular console ( and still is ) than Xbone and sales did not stop since November launch.

Things probably would have been even more of a meltdown if the PS4 didn't beat the Xbox One during the month Destiny launched.

Why? Titanfall was a console exclusive while Destiny is a multiplat. I think Titanfall was way more hyped as well, especially from the gaming media. Destiny had all types of criticisms before the public beta changed perceptions a bit.

hawk2025

Heh, I really don't know what to say then and I'm greatly surprised that this is even a debate.

I mean, it's impossible to completely nail how much hype Destiny got but video views, comments, articles, and ads are definitely all things that can be used to show how much a game is being hyped by the media and its audience.

I mean not to be rude but it feels like I'm in a different world. I can't believe that's Destiny's hype last year is even something that's being debated.

Being called and/or viewed as an "Xbox One defender" (for simply having a difference of opinion) while at the same time getting criticized by some of the same people for saying how well the PS4 did because of Destiny is simply strange and ironic.

You are not being rude, but you are severely misguided. You are making strong claims based on little to no info that are severely biased by your own consumption of media.

This is a recipe for disaster in data analysis.

No one is debating Destiny's hype. You brought it up as evidence, and I'm saying it doesn't pass muster as actual evidence, especially with how the sales breakdown actually turned out.

Elandyll

Banned
No, I don't think so. It doesn't have the same amount of pre-launch hype that Destiny had.

I humbly think you are wrong, and that it will actually benefit from a big fanbase which Destiny didn't have, but time will tell :)

Imo MGS V is one of three Japanese titles which, although technically multiplatform, will boost the PS4 sales quite a bit at their release.

The other two would be FF XV and KH III (Persona 5 and Disagea 5 might see a little boost imo, but probably nowhere near these other titles).

gioGAF

You totally come across as an "Xbox One defender", I'm wondering if your check is in the mail or if the funds are deposited directly into your account.

Destiny's hype last year is not debatable, neither is the ridiculous amount of hype Titanfall got. In fact, I would say the push for Titanfall was bigger, the only difference was that Destiny was multiplat and everyone was talking about it post release, while only the few who saw Titanfall on XB1 and PC talked about that.

I'm not jumping on the "who will outsell who and by how much" debate since I really don't know. I can't predict the market like you or some of the other posters in this thread are capable of doing. And I am also, much like you, clearly biased so I will stay out of this (I don't understand why anyone would continue to willingly support Microsoft in this day and age).

Bgamer90

Banned
Do you have actual information on this?

The PS2 dominating the gen before the 360/PS3 gen + a good amount of 360 owners saying it during the time + PS3 selling more than the 360 during that month (almost double if I remember correctly).
_________

WTF? So what if PS4 is leading console. That doesn't change a fact that MGS V will boost some PS4 sales and it WILL sell better on PS4. Look up at the Ground Zeroes sale ratio!

Uhh... I never said otherwise. The debate wasn't about the game boosting PS4 sales and/or selling better on the PS4 because I always agreed with that.

The debate was about whether MGS 5 would give the PS4 the same boost that MGS 4 gave the PS3. I simply stated why I don't think it will.

Purest 78

The PS2 dominating the gen before the 360/PS3 gen + a good amount of 360 owners saying it during the time + PS3 selling more than the 360 during that month (almost double if I remember correctly).
_________

Uhh... I never said otherwise. The debate wasn't about the game boosting PS4 sales and/or selling better on the PS4 because I already/always agreed with that.

The debate was about whether MGS 5 would give the PS4 the same boost that MGS 4 gave the PS3. I simply stated why I don't think it will.

A Batman Themed Ps4 or a MGSV bundle Could easily touch the Destiny bundle. If Sony happens to do both, they would destroy the Destiny bundle numbers.

Bgamer90

Banned
Why? Titanfall was a console exclusive while Destiny is a multiplat.

The Destiny PS4 bundle; Had pre-order build up for many months.

You are not being rude, but you are severely misguided. You are making strong claims based on little to no info that are severely biased by your own consumption of media.

This is a recipe for disaster in data analysis.

Not sure how it is "a recipe for disaster" or severely misguided. It all helped the build up to Destiny's launch. The game was being talked about and anticipated for many months and all the ads, articles, views, etc. show that since they helped play a role it that.

You brought it up as evidence, and I'm saying it doesn't pass muster as actual evidence, especially with how the sales breakdown actually turned out.

I'm not sure how content such as viral videos can't be used as some form of evidence. Also, what sales breakdown?

Bgamer90

Banned
You totally come across as an "Xbox One defender", I'm wondering if your check is in the mail or if the funds are deposited directly into your account.

Interesting considering most of my NPD predictions for the gen have had me put the PS4 above the Xbox One (as well as giving an explanation as to why). I don't think Microsoft would like that!

The real issue seems to be my posts sometimes breaking from the norm of a thread (with some people simply not liking it no matter how well I explain myself).

I can't predict the market like you or some of the other posters in this thread are capable of doing. And I am also, much like you, clearly biased so I will stay out of this (I don't understand why anyone would continue to willingly support Microsoft in this day and age).

Hmm. Noticing a trend here in people who view me as an "Xbox One defender"...

Conduit

Banned
The game was being talked about and anticipated for many months and all the ads, articles, views, etc. show that since they helped play a role it that.

Titanfall also and way more than that.

Ads, articles, views etc. helped Destiny in some way, but the MAIN reason was/is popularity of PS4 console, not Destiny hype.
Especially first half of the 2014, PS4 had a biiig momentum since launch and Sony chose the right game.

ZhugeEX

Banned
You totally come across as an "Xbox One defender", I'm wondering if your check is in the mail or if the funds are deposited directly into your account..

No he doesn't.

Although the debates going on here around MGSV vs Destiny aren't exactly based on evidence from either side. It's very hard to say which one will cause a bigger bump. Especially as there are still 6 months before.

Intrigue

Banned
Hmm. Noticing a trend here in people who view me as an "Xbox One defender"...

How could they not, you come off as a "Xbox One Defender" with your "opinion" vs "factual data"

Titanfall was way more overhyped than any other game

The fact PS4 sold more for Destiny vs Xbox for titafall means very little because there are many other reasons why PS4 outsell Xbox One.

Bgamer90

Banned
Titanfall also and way more than that.

Both were revealed around the same time with Destiny being on more platforms. Don't think I really agree.

Ads, articles, views etc. helped Destiny in some way, but the MAIN reason was/is popularity of PS4 console, not Destiny hype.
Especially first half of the 2014, PS4 had a biiig momentum since launch and Sony chose the right game.

Can't say that I agree with this either. If anything I would say Destiny hype helped the popularity of the PS4 as the game's advertisements were branded with PS4 -- therefore causing the game to be a reason why people bought the system.

Jomjom

Banned

I don't think you thought this out before you typed this... Do you really want to use sales as evidence for how much a game was hyped?

Based on that logic, CoD must be hyped to the high heavens each and every year. Loads of games sell amazing numbers based on very little hype as well. Conversely games that are hugely hyped often sell pitiful numbers.

WTF? So what if PS4 is leading console. That doesn't change a fact that MGS V will boost some PS4 sales and it WILL sell better on PS4.

Look up at the Ground Zeroes sale ratio!

Unlike MGS4, MGS5 is available on every platform including last gen and PC.

Maybe I'm underestimating that series because quite frankly I think it's bad but I really don't think it's going to be a console pusher like Destiny or MGS4 was. There is a good chance if someone really wants to play it they already have a device they can play it on. On the flip side Destiny and MGS4 were sole reasons for people to pick up this respective consoles.

ZhugeEX

Banned
NPD%20Month_zps2gmuevcd.jpg

NPD%20CUMULATIVE_zpsgjddhbob.jpg

Unlike MGS4, MGS5 is available on every platform including last gen and PC.

Maybe I'm underestimating that series because quite frankly I think it's bad but I really don't think it's going to be a console pusher like Destiny or MGS4 was. There is a good chance if someone really wants to play it they already have a device they can play it on. On the flip side Destiny and MGS4 were sole reasons for people to pick up this respective consoles.

Destiny is cross-gen just like MGSV so you are wrong about the only reason part. It will sell the most on PS4 and push systems if there is a bundle.

Bgamer90

Banned
How could they not, you come off as a "Xbox One Defender" with your "opinion" vs "factual data"

Haha, funny considering I'm talking about the PS4's success and how Destiny tied into that. Don't really get how that somehow ties in to be being an "Xbox defender".

As I said before, it's coming across as if you guys are simply saying that due to a difference of opinion that you can't debate in a mature way because you are on the extreme end of the spectrum (hence why I put the "MS support" part of his post I quoted in bold).

1. I've stated that the PS4 will more than likely outsell the Xbox One in America during the first half of the year due to system having bigger games -- regardless of the XB1 being cheaper.
2. I've stated that I feel the PS4 doesn't have a game before the Holiday season that will make the system do as well as it did alongside Destiny last year, with me stating that it did GREAT during the time.

Yep... definitely defending Xbox! :)

Titanfall was way more overhyped than any other game

Don't get me wrong, Titanfall definitely had a lot of hype but "more hype than any other game"?

So the Xbox One's pre-launch negativity didn't play a negative role in how much hype the game could have received? How about the disappointment of the game being online only (no single player campaign), the player count, and/or it having bots? It's not like the game had a smooth pre-launch period without any negativity.

(Also, I'm still not sure how we even got to talking about Titanfall from me simply stating how well the PS4 did alongside the launch of Destiny pages back haha.)

The fact PS4 sold more for Destiny vs Xbox for titafall means very little because there are many other reasons why PS4 outsell Xbox One.

But the PS4 in September 2014 did better than any September the Xbox 360 had.

The Xbox 360 dominated the PS3 in America far more than what the PS4 is doing to the Xbox One in America right now.

I would say it's pretty obvious that Destiny played a big role. I (again) don't understand why you guys are downplaying it or how me stating this causes me to be an "Xbox One defender" -- especially considering that I'm talking very positively about the PS4 and its sales during that time (lol).

ZhugeEX

Banned
Bgamer- Don't respond to everything people throw at you. Just state your opinion and let it be.

You don't need to keep defending yourself over accusations which obviously aren't true. Plus it's just adding to the clutter in this thread.

But the PS4 in September 2014 did better than any September the Xbox 360 had.

The Xbox 360 dominated the PS3 in America far more than what the PS4 is doing to the Xbox One in America right now.

I would say it's pretty obvious that Destiny played a big role. I (again) don't understand why you guys are downplaying it or how me stating this causes me to be an "Xbox One defender" -- especially considering that I'm talking very positively about the PS4 and its sales during that time (lol).

Agree. Destiny + other reasons caused a massive boost to PS4 sales making it have one of the highest selling Septembers for any console

Bgamer90

Banned
Bgamer- Don't respond to everything people throw at you. Just state your opinion and let it be.

You don't need to keep defending yourself over accusations which obviously aren't true. Plus it's just adding to the clutter in this thread.

Yes. Good advice. I like to debate (was on debate teams in school) so I sometimes "get in the zone" without realizing how much my posts can take over a thread (lol). I'll stop.

Jomjom

Banned
As I said before, it's coming across as if you guys are simply saying that due to a difference of opinion that you can't debate in a mature way because you are on the extreme end of the spectrum (hence why I put the "MS support" part of his post I quoted in bold).

Who's "you guys"? You know playing the victim card is often also a sign that someone can't debate in a mature way and instead takes the easy way out of claiming people are bullying him/her.

Top Bottom